daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #3281
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

I thought they were constructing them simultaneously, and since they share the same base, they've started that while they wait for final approval of the LM tower. It'll be a while before we see any part of it rise out of the ground though, right?
I'll be heading back to Baltimore in three weeks to being a summer internship, so hopefully I'll have the pleasure of watching at least some progress on these two towers in the few months I'm there.

By the way, welcome to the forum, canvasback. We're gotten so many new posters in the past few weeks. We should start a forum roll call like the ones in other subforums.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3282
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

Southwest and Ryanair are not partners, nor will they ever be. Ryanair provides only point to point service and does not accomodate connecting flights.

In addition, Southwest already has a codeshare agreement with ATA, which it part owns, and uses for long-haul flights to Hawaii. Interestingly, ATA recently purchased North American Airways, which operates from BWI to Africa, and had recently signed a codeshare agreement with Virgin Nigeria. So, in a roundabout sort of way Southwest Inc. already operates international flights from BWI.

A more likely scenario is that BWI will become a base for ATA/NorthAmerican to Europe with Southwest feeding the international service.

Ryanair service to BWI is possible of course, but unlikely. I tend to believe that Ryanair is using this as a threat to continue its takeover attempt of Aer Lingus.
probaltimore no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3283
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I thought they were constructing them simultaneously, and since they share the same base, they've started that while they wait for final approval of the LM tower. It'll be a while before we see any part of it rise out of the ground though, right?
I'll be heading back to Baltimore in three weeks to being a summer internship, so hopefully I'll have the pleasure of watching at least some progress on these two towers in the few months I'm there.

By the way, welcome to the forum, canvasback. We're gotten so many new posters in the past few weeks. We should start a forum roll call like the ones in other subforums.
i think the baltimore development corporation already approved the LM tower. it was approved with "special accommodations" that's going to help with the massive traffic that the building's presence is going to bring. but thanks for enlightening me about both towers have the same base. i didn't know that. i thought they were separate altogether in every way.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3284
Itus

Likes (Received): 124

OK some random info from mainly Wikipedia and a bit of oag.com:

Charlotte/Douglas International Airport
Hub: US Airways (Star Alliance)

Int’l by Region:
North America - Toronto-Pearson, St. Thomas, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Belize City, Cancun, Cozumel, Freeport, Grand Cayman, Guatemala City, Liberia, Mexico City, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, Punta Cana, San Jose (CR), St. Croix, St. Kitts, St.Lucia, St. Maarten
Europe – Munich, Frankfurt, London-Gatwick

Foreign Carriers:
Air Canada Jazz (Star Alliance)
Lufthansa (Star Alliance)

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
Hub: Delta (SkyTeam)

Int’l by Region:
North America – Cancún, Montego Bay, Nassau, Punta Cana
Europe - Amsterdam [seasonal], Frankfurt, London-Gatwick, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Rome-Fiumicino [seasonal]

Foreign Carriers:
none

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Hub: Continental (SkyTeam)

Int’l by Region:
North America - Cancún [seasonal], Toronto
Europe - London-Gatwick [seasonal], Paris-Charles de Gaulle [seasonal; begins May 2008]

Foreign Carriers:

Denver International Airport
Hub: United (Star Alliance), Frontier

Int’l by region:
North America - Acapulco [seasonal], Cancún, Cozumel, Guadalajara, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo [seasonal], Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo, Vancouver, Calgary, Mexico City, Toronto-Pearson, Montréal, Zacatecas [seasonal]
Europe – London (Heathrow), Frankfurt, Munich

Foreign Carriers:
Air Canada (Star Alliance)
British Airways (Oneworld)
Mexicana (Star Alliance)

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
Hub: US Airways/America West (Star Alliance), Southwest

Int’l by region:
North America - Calgary [seasonal], Toronto-Pearson, Edmonton, Vancouver, Acapulco, Cancún, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Los Cabos, Manzanillo, Mazatlán, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, San José, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Puerto Vallarta, Winnipeg
Europe - London-Heathrow

Foreign Carriers:
Aeromexico
Air Canada
British Airways
Mexicana

Pittsburgh International Airport
Hub: US Airways (Star Alliance) [focus city]

Int’l by region:
North America - Montego Bay, Toronto-Pearson, Cancún, Punta Cana

Foreign Carriers:

Lambert-St. Louis International Airport
Hub: American (Oneworld)

Int’l by region:
North America - Toronto-Pearson, Cancún, Punta Cana, Puerto Vallarta [seasonal],

Foreign Carriers:
Air Canada Jazz

Salt Lake City International Airport

Int’l by region:
North America – Cancún, Mazatlán, Cancún, Guadalajara, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto-Pearson, Victoria [seasonal]

Foreign Carriers:
none

---------------------
BWI
Hub: Southwest

Int’l by region:
North America – Toronto, Kangerlussuaq (seasonal), Cancun, Punta Cana, La Romana, Bermuda, Montego Bay
Europe – Reykjavik, London-Heathrow
Africa – (one-stop) Accra

Foreign Carriers:
Air Greenland
Air Jamaica
Icelandair

-----------------
I think we're still suffering from some inferiority complex from being near Philadelphia, DC, New York, and Boston...The airports listed above are probably more appropriate to compare to, and I think we're not that bad off. The only metro area that I can think of that has sustained at least two airports both with significant international service is New York.

The above info seems to suggest to me that BWI is doing what it can to attract foreign carriers, given that the hub carrier Southwest has no international service nor has a spot in a global airline alliance.

Charlotte - Clearly almost all int'l service is done by their hub carrier US Airways. Lufthansa is in the mix, but it's a Star Alliance carrier as well. BA flew to London when US/BA were in a partnership, but eventually they left.

Cincinnati - Absolutely all international service handled by hub carrier Delta.

Cleveland - Almost all international service handled by hub carrier Continental, and sporadically at that. Both European flights are/will be seasonal and operated with narrowbodied 757s.

Denver - A United hub with mainly service to Mexico and Canada...Not much service to Europe except flights handled by two carriers.

Phoenix - Not much international service outside of Mexico and Canada...London service by BA.

Pittsburgh - depressing after US started pulling out. BA left after their agreement with US ended as well.

St. Louis - nothing despite a huge American Airlines presence...They had more with TWA.

Salt Lake City - North American routes by hub carrier Delta mainly.

BWI - all int'l service by foreign or small domestic carriers...and to consider that we once had KLM, Ladeco, Aer Lingus, Ghana Airways, Mexicana, El Al (connector), Air Aruba...not bad I'd say.
Itus no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM   #3285
canvasback13

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the welcome, I should have introduced myself.

LM Tower did recieve a preliminary approval. details of the plan and subsidies from the city are being worked out.

I was at the Marriott last week and saw the construction across from the front door of the hotel. I assumed is was just the begining of the Fourseasons. It seems way too fast to have started the LM Tower, but I could be wrong
canvasback13 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3286
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itus View Post
OK some random info from mainly Wikipedia and a bit of oag.com:

Charlotte/Douglas International Airport
Hub: US Airways (Star Alliance)

Int’l by Region:
North America - Toronto-Pearson, St. Thomas, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Belize City, Cancun, Cozumel, Freeport, Grand Cayman, Guatemala City, Liberia, Mexico City, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, Punta Cana, San Jose (CR), St. Croix, St. Kitts, St.Lucia, St. Maarten
Europe – Munich, Frankfurt, London-Gatwick

Foreign Carriers:

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport

Int’l by Region:
North America – Cancún, Montego Bay, Nassau, Punta Cana
Europe - Amsterdam [seasonal], Frankfurt, London-Gatwick, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Rome-Fiumicino [seasonal]

Foreign Carriers:
none

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Hub: Continental (SkyTeam)

Int’l by Region:
North America - Cancún [seasonal], Toronto
Europe - London-Gatwick [seasonal], Paris-Charles de Gaulle [seasonal; begins May 2008]

Foreign Carriers:

Denver International Airport
Hub: United (Star Alliance), Frontier

Int’l by region:
North America - Acapulco [seasonal], Cancún, Cozumel, Guadalajara, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo [seasonal], Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo, Vancouver, Calgary, Mexico City, Toronto-Pearson, Montréal, Zacatecas [seasonal]
Europe – London (Heathrow), Frankfurt, Munich

Foreign Carriers:
Air Canada (Star Alliance)
Mexicana (Star Alliance)

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
Hub: US Airways/America West (Star Alliance), Southwest

Int’l by region:
North America - Calgary [seasonal], Toronto-Pearson, Edmonton, Vancouver, Acapulco, Cancún, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Los Cabos, Manzanillo, Mazatlán, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, San José, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Puerto Vallarta, Winnipeg
Europe - London-Heathrow

Foreign Carriers:
Aeromexico
Air Canada
British Airways
Mexicana

Pittsburgh International Airport
Hub: US Airways (Star Alliance) [focus city]

Int’l by region:
North America - Montego Bay, Toronto-Pearson, Cancún, Punta Cana

Foreign Carriers:

Lambert-St. Louis International Airport
Hub: American (Oneworld)

Int’l by region:
North America - Toronto-Pearson, Cancún, Punta Cana, Puerto Vallarta [seasonal],

Foreign Carriers:
Air Canada Jazz

Salt Lake City International Airport

Int’l by region:
North America – Cancún, Mazatlán, Cancún, Guadalajara, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto-Pearson, Victoria [seasonal]

Foreign Carriers:
none

---------------------
BWI
Hub: Southwest

Int’l by region:
North America – Toronto, Kangerlussuaq (seasonal), Cancun, Punta Cana, La Romana, Bermuda, Montego Bay
Europe – Reykjavik, London-Heathrow
Africa – (one-stop) Accra

Foreign Carriers:
Air Greenland
Air Jamaica
Icelandair

-----------------
I think we're still suffering from some inferiority complex from being near Philadelphia, DC, New York, and Boston...The airports listed above are probably more appropriate to compare to, and I think we're not that bad off. The only metro area that I can think of that has sustained at least two airports both with significant international service is New York.

The above info seems to suggest to me that BWI is doing what it can to attract foreign carriers, given that the hub carrier Southwest has no international service nor has a spot in a global airline alliance.

Charlotte - Clearly almost all int'l service is done by their hub carrier US Airways. Lufthansa is in the mix, but it's a Star Alliance carrier as well. BA flew to London when US/BA were in a partnership, but eventually they left.

Cincinnati - Absolutely all international service handled by hub carrier Delta.

Cleveland - Almost all international service handled by hub carrier Continental, and sporadically at that. Both European flights are/will be seasonal and operated with narrowbodied 757s.

Denver - A United hub with mainly service to Mexico and Canada...Not much service to Europe except flights handled by two carriers.

Phoenix - Not much international service outside of Mexico and Canada...London service by BA.

Pittsburgh - depressing after US started pulling out. BA left after their agreement with US ended as well.

St. Louis - nothing despite a huge American Airlines presence...They had more with TWA.

Salt Lake City - North American routes by hub carrier Delta mainly.

BWI - all int'l service by foreign or small domestic carriers...and to consider that we once had KLM, Ladeco, Aer Lingus, Ghana Airways, Mexicana, El Al (connector), Air Aruba...not bad I'd say.
Thanks for the info. I guess were not so bad off considering the cities listed above. Yes there is some inferior issues being sandwhiched between Philly and D.C. but I truly believe that a large part of it is the perception that Dulles is the only international option in the region. If the state could work with new carriers to help their business grow and change that perception, it would go a very long way. Anyway I'm flying business class to Europe this month from BWI. No way am I driving all the way down to Dulles.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #3287
Gsol

Likes (Received): 314

Virgin Festival

There were posts about this festival a few weeks ago. Just thought you'd be intersted to know that there is a full page ad for the concert at Pimlico Racetrack in todays NY Times (5-1). Its on the back page of the Arts section. I didn't realize how big this event was.

I see there are some big acts from the past - The Police, Beastie Boys, Cheap Trick and Smashing Pumpkins.

If this is advertised in the Big Apple, I wonder how far from Charm City are they promoting this concert?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3288
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
I think all you have to do is go to the MVA to see what he means.. just making a comparison between Govt and Private. Govt has no insentive to work harder than it has to. Why should it when it has gauranteed income via taxes.

People do what ever the bare minimum is to stay employed and annoy people up to a point just below where they would feel like doing something about it via protests elections.

As much as I cant stand corporate americas greed, the govt's laziness can be just as bad. I wish certain govt institutions would be privatized to increase efficiency and to put employees in the MVA who dont give you that look of "im going to take my sweet old time because Im going to get paid whether it takes me 5 minutes or a half hour to get you out of here." because private companies although not always will actually consider customer service as a part of their responsibilities to its CUSTOMERS/CLIENTS/EMPLOYERS/CONSTITUENTS.

But besides things like efficiency, you can actually get people in there who are specialized in travel and marketing.

PRIVATIZE THE MVA AND DEPARTMENT OF PARKING AND CITATIONS!!!

Im done >_<
You just opened a whole new pandora's box by bringing up the MVA. Just thinking about service there makes my blood boil. And yes, I have been saying the same damn thing. If only they privatized the MVAs/DMVs in all states, we would see so much better service. For the life of me I don't understand how and why people deal with the MVA. I moved here from PA and my wallet got stolen at Patterson Park. I had to go through so much trouble to prove that I actually had a PA license. To speed up the process I asked them if PA could fax me a document verifying I had a license...their answer: NO. Can I ask them to fax it to you directly? NO. Can you verify with them somehow? NO. So I had to write a letter to the Penndot and ask them to mail me back a letter which I then had to take to the MVA. And then I went on a Saturday and they refused to help me out because my documents are foreign and I could only go on a weekday and with an appointment. So I'm supposed to not go in for work one day and waste my time in line at the MVA while the ladies behind the counter yaked away?? For God's sake it's one country, why can't the MVAs/DMVs talk to each other to verify information??? ARGH!!
gohorns no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3289
BigBalto1

A second tower crane is up at the Johns Hopkins Bio Park
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3290
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

[QUOTE=gohorns;12943867]You just opened a whole new pandora's box by bringing up the MVA. Just thinking about service there makes my blood boil. And yes, I have been saying the same damn thing. If only they privatized the MVAs/DMVs in all states, we would see so much better service. QUOTE]

Privitizing the MVA is increadibly unlikely to happen. Private companies are in it for one reason, to make a profit. They can either earn it from a contract with the state or by direct tolls. Do you want to pay a toll anytime you drive down any street? Charged $2 to go from Bel Air to Aberdeen? What incentive does a private co have to build side roads? None there is no margin except on major highways.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3291
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

ghost roads

We talked about some of the ghost highways in Baltimore a few pages back. Here are the maps for what they would of looked like.

Check out

"http:/www.roadstothefuture.com/I70-I170-I95-I395.html"

Note how the middle branch is filled in.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #3292
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
but thanks for enlightening me about both towers have the same base. i didn't know that. i thought they were separate altogether in every way.
I'm actually not one hundred percent certain about that. I am just under the impression that they share the same base. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #3293
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
i think the baltimore development corporation already approved the LM tower. it was approved with "special accommodations" that's going to help with the massive traffic that the building's presence is going to bring. but thanks for enlightening me about both towers have the same base. i didn't know that. i thought they were separate altogether in every way.
Just to help clarify, I believe the "base" we are talking about is really the 1200 car parking garage they will share. Because of the large amount of excavation necessary to build such a large underground (or at least mostly underground) garage, they decided to start working on that while all the final details and approvals came in.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:47 AM   #3294
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Yes.

Morgan lost the fight in the state house. Towson feels there MBA will be very successful that in 2 years they may have 200 studentsin the program. Towson has the largest undergrad business program in Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Did there MBA get approved, I know Morgan State was raising a fuss? The west village is only a small part of a greater plan Towson is working on to rebuild a lot of there campus as part of TU:2010.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:48 AM   #3295
canvasback13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
We talked about some of the ghost highways in Baltimore a few pages back. Here are the maps for what they would of looked like.

Check out

"http:/www.roadstothefuture.com/I70-I170-I95-I395.html"

Note how the middle branch is filled in.
That is an interesting site. Funny you mention that now. Just this past week I heard people want to extend the base 83 (JFX) to connect to the fells point/canton area.
canvasback13 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #3296
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
You just opened a whole new pandora's box by bringing up the MVA. Just thinking about service there makes my blood boil. And yes, I have been saying the same damn thing. If only they privatized the MVAs/DMVs in all states, we would see so much better service. For the life of me I don't understand how and why people deal with the MVA. I moved here from PA and my wallet got stolen at Patterson Park. I had to go through so much trouble to prove that I actually had a PA license. To speed up the process I asked them if PA could fax me a document verifying I had a license...their answer: NO. Can I ask them to fax it to you directly? NO. Can you verify with them somehow? NO. So I had to write a letter to the Penndot and ask them to mail me back a letter which I then had to take to the MVA. And then I went on a Saturday and they refused to help me out because my documents are foreign and I could only go on a weekday and with an appointment. So I'm supposed to not go in for work one day and waste my time in line at the MVA while the ladies behind the counter yaked away?? For God's sake it's one country, why can't the MVAs/DMVs talk to each other to verify information??? ARGH!!

But they love to give Illegals a license. Amazing.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #3297
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
There were posts about this festival a few weeks ago. Just thought you'd be intersted to know that there is a full page ad for the concert at Pimlico Racetrack in todays NY Times (5-1). Its on the back page of the Arts section. I didn't realize how big this event was.

I see there are some big acts from the past - The Police, Beastie Boys, Cheap Trick and Smashing Pumpkins.

If this is advertised in the Big Apple, I wonder how far from Charm City are they promoting this concert?
The weird thing last year was that it was promoted out of town, but plenty of interested people around here didn't hear about it. My impression is that for some reason, Branson wants this festival to work in Baltimore. It didn't sell out last year and he had a good reason to back out, but he came back (I saw him backstage when the Who were on). Tell your friends and relatives. The might not hear otherwise.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:24 AM   #3298
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
But they love to give Illegals a license. Amazing.
The MVA doesn't make the decision to grant licenses to illegals. That decision is reserved for the Gov and legislature. One of the things people never quite understand about governments is that the system only does what the laws and politicians tell them to do, and not one thing more or less. They have to operate with the funds and staff that are given to them and follow micromanaged record keeping requirements. The services they offer are what is required. So....if you are p-ed off because it took a couple hours to get a new license, remember that when you elect officials.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #3299
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

Absolutely. We all know who passes the absurd laws in this state and we also know politics are behind the state allowing licenses to illegals. It's a joke.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM   #3300
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Forget the whole "granting licenses/ID to illegals" issue, my beef is with their attitude. Think about this: If you are in any client-serving position (I am), you know how important it is to do a good job making sure you take good care of that client. You do your best to keep them happy within your limitations so they like you and you keep up the relationship your firm has with the client. When I have client personnel come see me for something, I don't keep talking to a co-worker about something that happened the evening before or decide that is exactly when I want to go on a long coffee break and keep the person waiting.

The MVA should treat us like customers/clients and value our business more. Truth be told, MVA services are expensive these days (at least it was for me when I registered my car here and got everything transferred). For that kind of money, the service is very very poor. There are some windows at the MVA where they only provide certain services. There aren't many people waiting there. In fact most of the time you can just walk up to those windows. Yet they keep you waiting while they chat. How about taking a break from the chatting to help us out?

Of course there are windows where they see people all day and I can understand if those people are talking a little while we're waiting or talking while working. That's because they don't get much time off to talk and we all need to sometimes...just to take a break.

Anyway, enough ranting...I just hope I don't have to go back there in a long long time
gohorns no está en línea  

Closed Thread