daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #3361
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

[QUOTE=BigBalto1;13009442]The 2nd tower crane was added to the Johns Hopkins BioPark. Here are some updated pictures.

thanks dave
southbalto no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #3362
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Nice Pictures

South Baltimore. Hopefully, the military base consolidation and the 2 bio parks will get Westport, Greentown and some of the new downtown towers going.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #3363
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

all these current developments should be more than enough to get greektown, westport, and the new towers going. let's not forget middle branch. if i could guess, i still think that the future westport tower's going to be 65 stories with the talk now of the SSA possibly considering moving there.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #3364
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

It's not a big deal to move a bakery. It's just ovens and packaging lines. I dismantled, transported and rebuilt one . I also had to distmantle parts of a steel mill, a couple of paper mills (one we had to rebuild in China), a Campbell's Soup plant and a Lowenbrau Brewery.
Which leads me to my next point. I don't think anything is going to happen in Westport. The power plant has to be demolished which is no easy task. The asbestos abatement alone is huge costwise. Then once the plant is down there is a huge amount of money that will have to be spent remediating the soil. You could be looking upwards of $20 million+.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #3365
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Arts district envisioned
Brooklyn Park area proposed as center for artists, cultural development

By Andrea F. Siegel
sun reporter
Originally published May 6, 2007

Craft studios, artists lofts, galleries and more are at the hub of a plan to give a nudge to revitalization of the northern tip of Anne Arundel County.

"The vision is to have a cultural arts district in the Brooklyn Park area," said Carol Treiber, executive director of the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County. "It would be wonderful, like a little village, an arts village."

Proponents say a Brooklyn Park arts district has the potential to lure economic development as it provides amenities for thousands of people and reinvigorates one of the oldest sections of the county, parts of which have been neglected.

The idea, which has long sat on a far-back burner, is winning its first significant attention with the formation of a group to start studying it next month. Civic leaders, revitalization experts and people in government are expected to take part.

"We are in the early stages right now," said Daryl Jones, the first-term County Council member who has been quietly inviting people to look into such things as state requirements, benefits, locations and the like.

"We want the small coffee shops and those kinds of things, the bookshops. There is nothing like that in the northern part of the county. ... Brooklyn Park has a wonderful small-town touch to it - to add the cultural arts to it would be phenomenal," he said.

Fourteen such arts districts dot the state. They include sections of Highlandtown in Baltimore, Silver Spring in Montgomery County and Cumberland in Allegany County.

A county has to ask the state to designate the district. State and local tax breaks go to those who rehabilitate structures, build new ones, provide living and work space for artists, and locate businesses there. Local governments also invest in these areas.

Such districts do more than offer affordable spaces for artists and musicians. The districts also attract bookstores, restaurants, shops and more. They are convenient to the immediate community and a draw for outsiders. The development has a ripple effect through the wider community.

Eyes have turned to Brooklyn Park, founded as a suburb of South Baltimore, because although some of its neighborhoods are charming, some have suffered a lot of crime.

The community in recent years has gotten a new firehouse, senior center, arts center and road improvements; and had its Ritchie Highway business strip designated as a revitalization corridor.

In addition, base realignment and closure is projected to bring more than 20,000 residents to the region around Fort Meade over the coming decade. Communities that offer amenities will have an edge, officials say.

Brooklyn Park also has three large developments in the planning stages. Next to the Chesapeake Arts Center, a developer is looking to replace a blighted shopping center with 135 townhouses; on 163 acres next to Cedar Hill Cemetery, another developer is working on creating a community that will have 321 townhouses, 21 single-family houses, 394 condominiums, 218 stacked townhouses and 370 apartments; and a third wants to locate 91 townhouses just inside the Beltway, said Christopher Soldano, the assistant planning officer for the county.

The arts center is a major thrust behind the arts district idea. Thanks to a multimillion-dollar infusion of cash from state and local governments, it opened in 2001 in a wing of an old school. Last year, more than 50,000 people passed through its doors - including neighborhood youngsters taking dance classes and adults driving a half-hour to watch dance troupes - and its board wants to make more improvements to the building, said executive director David Jones, no relation to Daryl Jones.

Its success sparked other neighborhood improvements.

"What we found was people who owned homes right around there, across the street, fixed them up," said Ned Carey of Brooklyn Park, a school board member who chaired the Small Area Planning Group. He said the idea of an arts district had support on the planning group.

"To sit down and have a nice meal, then go to a play. ... I'd support that," said Woody Bowen, president of the Olde Brooklyn Park Improvement Association.

County Executive John R. Leopold encouraged the group to pursue consideration of it, saying, "It is consistent with our planning goals for revitalization."

He would, he said, think about a request for state arts and entertainment district designation if approached and if county resources permitted the tax breaks.

Arts district proponents see all that as encouragement for looking into an arts district.

"There's obviously a lot to be done. But if you don't take the first step, you never get started, and you never get to the next step," Daryl Jones said.

[email protected]
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #3366
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Does anybody have the most up-to-date renderings of the JHU biopark?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #3367
fanofterps

I really would like to see

Paterakis move the whole bakery. Right now Harbor East is planned to end at Caroline St but my gut feeling is that the family in time will extend Harboreast all the way to Fells Point. An extension to Fells Point could really create a Bethesda(Wisconsin Avenue) look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
It's not a big deal to move a bakery. It's just ovens and packaging lines. I dismantled, transported and rebuilt one . I also had to distmantle parts of a steel mill, a couple of paper mills (one we had to rebuild in China), a Campbell's Soup plant and a Lowenbrau Brewery.
Which leads me to my next point. I don't think anything is going to happen in Westport. The power plant has to be demolished which is no easy task. The asbestos abatement alone is huge costwise. Then once the plant is down there is a huge amount of money that will have to be spent remediating the soil. You could be looking upwards of $20 million+.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #3368
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Right now Harbor East is planned to end at Caroline St but my gut feeling is that the family in time will extend Harboreast all the way to Fells Point. An extension to Fells Point could really create a Bethesda(Wisconsin Avenue) look.
You're probably right, if page nine in the linked marketing brochure is still accurate. Couple more blocks, and they'd connect with with Marketplace at Fell's Point on Broadway. The Bethesda analogy would really work if the Red Line were a subway (dreaming) and had a stop in the neighborhood and if the Jones Falls Bike Trail were extended through Fells Point to Canton.(possible, eventually).
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #3369
fanofterps

Fairfield Inn for Little Italy

Fairfield Inn planned for Little Italy
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 6, 2007 5:41 PM
A North Carolina developer is planning to build a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Baltimore’s Little Italy, hoping to feed a perceived demand for affordable hotel space in the city.

Gene Singleton wants to build the hotel at 104 Albemarle St., a property that was home to the former Baltimore Brewing Co. Singleton put the site under contract to purchase last year and hopes to break ground on the 150-160 room hotel in the fall.

“The Fairfield is family oriented and geared to leisure business … and seniors that travel a lot,” he said. “There are typically moderately priced rooms … and I think that segment of the market is underserved.”

For the project, Singleton plans to preserve and incorporate into the hotel three historic buildings that were used as warehouse space by the brewing company, which closed in 2005. Other buildings once part of the brewery complex will be demolished to make way for the hotel. Brewer’s Park, which abuts the old brewery at President and East Lombard streets, would be included in the development site

“With the proximity to downtown and all the tourism sites, we believe we’ll have great demand,” Singleton said.

The hotel also would have the advantage of being just blocks away from one of the city’s newest hotspots, Inner Harbor East, where developers H&S Properties Development Corp. and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse have created condominiums, offices and shops.

The two companies are poised to begin the next phase of that development, the Four Seasons Hotel project, which would rise between the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel and the Spinnaker Bay residential community. The development would include a building for the hotel and condominiums as well as a new headquarters building for Legg Mason, the financial firm moving from Light Street.

“We really like the Baltimore market,” Singleton said.

The Fairfield Inn would be Singleton’s first project in Baltimore City, although he has developed other hotels near the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, including a Marriott extended-stay hotel that opened about two weeks ago.

Singleton is not the first developer to see a need for moderately priced hotel rooms in Baltimore. Developer Sanket Patel has announced plans to build a Red Roof Inn on Saratoga Street on the city’s West Side as well as a Sleep Inn in the Furncraft Furniture Co. building and a Cambria Suites next door to the Furncraft building on The Fallsway downtown.

Mary Jo McCulloch, president of the Maryland Hotel & Lodging Association, views the construction of such hotel properties as positive developments for Baltimore.

“I think we can use more economy lodging in the city,” she said, adding that Baltimore is generally underserved by the hotel industry. “Baltimore really, for a good-sized city, has just a few rooms.”

Downtown Baltimore has about 6,000 hotel room and an average occupancy of about 71 percent, according to the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. The average hotel room in Baltimore costs about $162 per night, according to third-quarter 2006 statistics from the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association, the most recent data available on the group’s Web site. It was unclear Friday how Singleton’s Fairfield hotel rates would compare to the city’s average rate.

“During busy seasons the prices are high for a certain segment of visitors,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership. “Having some more moderately priced rooms available to those types of travelers would be another selling point for Baltimore.”
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #3370
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
JEN DEGREGORIO
A North Carolina developer is planning to build a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Baltimore’s Little Italy, hoping to feed a perceived demand for affordable hotel space in the city.

Gene Singleton wants to build the hotel at 104 Albemarle St., a property that was home to the former Baltimore Brewing Co. Singleton put the site under contract to purchase last year and hopes to break ground on the 150-160 room hotel in the fall.

“The Fairfield is family oriented and geared to leisure business … and seniors that travel a lot,” he said. “There are typically moderately priced rooms … and I think that segment of the market is underserved.”

For the project, Singleton plans to preserve and incorporate into the hotel three historic buildings that were used as warehouse space by the brewing company, which closed in 2005. Other buildings once part of the brewery complex will be demolished to make way for the hotel. Brewer’s Park, which abuts the old brewery at President and East Lombard streets, would be included in the development site

“With the proximity to downtown and all the tourism sites, we believe we’ll have great demand,” Singleton said.

The hotel also would have the advantage of being just blocks away from one of the city’s newest hotspots, Inner Harbor East, where developers H&S Properties Development Corp. and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse have created condominiums, offices and shops.

The two companies are poised to begin the next phase of that development, the Four Seasons Hotel project, which would rise between the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel and the Spinnaker Bay residential community. The development would include a building for the hotel and condominiums as well as a new headquarters building for Legg Mason, the financial firm moving from Light Street.

“We really like the Baltimore market,” Singleton said.

The Fairfield Inn would be Singleton’s first project in Baltimore City, although he has developed other hotels near the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, including a Marriott extended-stay hotel that opened about two weeks ago.

Singleton is not the first developer to see a need for moderately priced hotel rooms in Baltimore. Developer Sanket Patel has announced plans to build a Red Roof Inn on Saratoga Street on the city’s West Side as well as a Sleep Inn in the Furncraft Furniture Co. building and a Cambria Suites next door to the Furncraft building on The Fallsway downtown.

Mary Jo McCulloch, president of the Maryland Hotel & Lodging Association, views the construction of such hotel properties as positive developments for Baltimore.

“I think we can use more economy lodging in the city,” she said, adding that Baltimore is generally underserved by the hotel industry. “Baltimore really, for a good-sized city, has just a few rooms.”

Downtown Baltimore has about 6,000 hotel room and an average occupancy of about 71 percent, according to the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. The average hotel room in Baltimore costs about $162 per night, according to third-quarter 2006 statistics from the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association, the most recent data available on the group’s Web site. It was unclear Friday how Singleton’s Fairfield hotel rates would compare to the city’s average rate.

“During busy seasons the prices are high for a certain segment of visitors,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership. “Having some more moderately priced rooms available to those types of travelers would be another selling point for Baltimore.”

not a bad thing...looks like we are seeing the beginnings of 'economy road' However, that seems like a pretty prime piece of property I didn't even know it was for sale....I'm not sure if this is the 'highest and best use' for the spot....but what do i know.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #3371
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Arts district envisioned
Brooklyn Park area proposed as center for artists, cultural development

By Andrea F. Siegel
sun reporter
Originally published May 6, 2007

Craft studios, artists lofts, galleries and more are at the hub of a plan to give a nudge to revitalization of the northern tip of Anne Arundel County.

"The vision is to have a cultural arts district in the Brooklyn Park area," said Carol Treiber, executive director of the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County. "It would be wonderful, like a little village, an arts village.".....

"There's obviously a lot to be done. But if you don't take the first step, you never get started, and you never get to the next step," Daryl Jones said.....
I guess starting up something like this takes vision, but I have to admit that when I think of Brooklyn Park, "Arts District" isn't what comes to mind. I think used cars, lumber, motorcycle repairs. Good luck to them.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #3372
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

DemDave, you're such a downer on everything man. Westport is happening. The full extent is unknown but myself and others are in contact with Pat Turner and it's moving along.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #3373
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Just ignore the comments. We all know that Westport is going to happen in just a matter of time. DemDave is going to be eating those words. You'll see.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3374
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I guess starting up something like this takes vision, but I have to admit that when I think of Brooklyn Park, "Arts District" isn't what comes to mind. I think used cars, lumber, motorcycle repairs. Good luck to them.
Well...now I've got to come out...I'm a Brooklyn Park native.

Unfortunately we've had a bit of bad publicity of late...a couple of homicides..but they both occurred in that relatively small section of BP where most of the trouble takes place.

The changes are going to be dramatic over the next couple of years. The derelict Southview Shopping center is going to be razed very soon and replaced by condos selling for 300K+. The other development of 1600+ homes will be built on one of the largest remaining tracts of land inside the Beltway. With this will come demand for new services and new businesses. Yes there are a few too many nail salons and rent-to-own places in BP now, but hopefully all the new residents will drive some of these places out.

In the last few months several new places have already opened: a new Dennys, Long John Silvers/Taco Bell, and a small office building.

Ritchie Highway, Church St., and Morgan Rd., main arteries thru BP, were rebuilt a few years back, and Belle Grove Rd is currently under reconstruction. They have also started on some of the residential streets, with my own being one of the first.

The Chesapeake Arts Center, where live performances are presented, opened about 5 years ago and has been fairly successful. So BP is already a center for the arts.

Look for a photo tour soon!!
micrip no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3375
fanofterps

From the Baltimore Sun today

Once Canton Crossing is complete, Hale said it would be two to three times larger than the original blueprint he drew up more than five years ago. He plans to break ground soon on a 500-unit condominium complex and expand retail space. He said he met Thursday with a big-name retailer about moving into the complex, but he wouldn't give more details.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3376
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
JEN DEGREGORIO

[snip] For the project, Singleton plans to preserve and incorporate into the hotel three historic buildings that were used as warehouse space by the brewing company, which closed in 2005. Other buildings once part of the brewery complex will be demolished to make way for the hotel. Brewer’s Park, which abuts the old brewery at President and East Lombard streets, would be included in the development site.[snip]
Hope the architecture doesn't suq. Most F-Inns seem to be made of that pre-fab faux stucco krep.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #3377
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Alot of the remediation work is underway and/or complete. Pat has entered into the MDE VOlunteer Cleanup program and his RAP has been approved by MDE for both Carr lowrey and the bge site. The BGE building is going to remain and be converted. The carr lowrey site is going to go first since they have alread constructed their cap work.

I agree that this is a very difficult project, but I have no doubt that pat will do something great with the site. He just needs to trudge through the design process.
Hood no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3378
Javalady1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post

The Chesapeake Arts Center, where live performances are presented, opened about 5 years ago and has been fairly successful. So BP is already a center for the arts.
I've never heard of the Chesapeake Arts Center. And this is the type of place in which I have true interest. You say it's been around five years and I've been hear almost six. Seems odd/strange/sad etc, that one can live so close, although not in BP but in Fed Hill area, and never hear about it. Maybe it's a Balto thing?
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #3379
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

This Weeks BBJ

Does anyone have access to the full Balt. Business Journal? Today I can't even open the tease to the article. Can only see a renering of the front page. I am curious about those vying for the Hendler Ice Cream site. Isn't that around E. Baltimore Street near Caroline?

Also, since I'm a sports nut, the article entitled "Sticking with the Ball Club". What's behing the article? The photo shows only two guys sitting among a bunch of empty seats.

What was the reason behind a large turn out for yesterday's Oriole game, 37+K? It was Cleveland, not the Sox or the Yanks. It must have been an enticing give-away.

Last edited by Gsol; May 7th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #3380
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 808

I have the print version of the BBJ but I haven't read it all yet. The Sticking With The Ball Club article was about how the advertisers have not left the Orioles even though attendance at the stadium is down. They attribute the loyalty of the advertisers to the increased TV/Radio coverage of the club.

The Hendler's rehab will be a go. The city has to choose which of 2 developers will get to do the project. Both developers have tenants lined up to occupy the structure. One team proposes to spend 1.3 million on the building, the other 4 million (if I remember correctly).
30 Floors Up no está en línea  

Closed Thread