daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #321
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Commercial growth spurs building boom
Office, warehouse, retail space being constructed
By Larry Carson
sun reporter
Originally published January 28, 2007

Commercial construction in Howard County is booming - at 1999-2000 levels - according to Richard W. Story, chief executive officer of the county's Economic Development Authority.

[email protected]
I hope we can keep up the good work. The Baltimore area is coming up from a slump in commercial office development but they can do better.

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #322
Gsol

Likes (Received): 314

I got to visit the city this weekend, thanks to a party invitation. Just want to share some observations:

I went to the baseball memorabilia show at the convention center. I beleive there are some saying the convention center is to small. I am no expert on these facilities, but the place was large enought to house three major shows simultaneously. Beside the baseball event, there was a boat show and a home show. I think they can get more capacity out of the place by reconfigurating the existing building. There appears to be a lot of wasted or underulitized space for a lobby, lounging and food service. The exhibit space can be expanded into the lobby area and I don't think anyone will miss the loungin area. Perhaps fexlible partitions can be move to enlarge space as needed.

The BB show allowed half-off of the admission price to the Geppi museum. That is an unknown gem. The place was desolate, but it has the best comic book and nostalgic items I have ever seen. Unforunately the stuff is displayed floor to ceiling, so if you are short you need a ladder to seem some of the exhibits. I talked to the guy working in the gift shop who said there is much more that is not even displayed. They are operating by word of mouth, no major promotion is planned. The NY Times did a rave review on it when it opened. I think ten bucks is to high a price. There should at least be some kind of price promotion with this an other attractions. Don't know if this is promoted at the promotion center in at the harbor.

The birthday party was at the South Charles Street bar called Ropewalk. Very impressive place. I was told its a hangout for Republicans. Glad it didn't cost me anything. Most impressive were the long lines to get into this bar and others in the area. Seems like a healthy night scene in S. Balt. Last time I visited, I was impressed with Canton. All this activity should get out good word of mouth about the nightlife in the city. Some recent criticism was a lack of just this sort of action.

Got to ride up Charles St. Saw the sickening former sight of the Rochembeau. Its just a fenced in lot adjacent to an ugly garage. The garage should have been demolished, not the Rocembeau. This leaves such a void and a noticeable break in the continuity of Clarles Street architecture.

Now one question, at Mt. Vernon Place, there is a building covered in a white sheet. Its at the perpendicular street to Charles right at the monument, located on the northwest part of the intersection. What's going on?

I was impressed with the new construction around Johns Hopkins U. Went into the new Barnes and Noble. Looks like the new Condo project will be build at St. Paul and 33rd. They are advertising units. Also looks like a new supermarket is goin into one of the apt. buildings on Charles St. just north of 33rd.

Anyway just wanted to quickly rattle off some of observations of this past weekend. Sorry if there are typos, choppy sentences, disjointed thoughts and split infinitives, my brain is working faster than my fingers. I just wanted to quicky relieve my head of all the pent up mental notes I took while roaming the city.

Last edited by Gsol; January 29th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #323
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
I beleive there are some saying the convention center is to small.
huh????? too small?? if i'm not mistaken & don't quote me on it, i believe we have the biggest convention center on the east coast. that place is anything else but "too small".
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #324
BaltimoreDeb

Likes (Received): 0

Howdy, guys,

I've been monitoring this forum off and on, but haven't posted since last year.

Today I'm posting b/c I wish to report that demolition has begun in Greektown for a new housing development!

No, not KSI - yet - but for the property at 900 Oldham. This is a smaller parcel adjacent to the KSI project (which is at 820 Oldham). The property was originally purchased by Metroscape Development.

However, the developer is Ryan Homes. We drove by the property this morning and I snapped a picture of Ryan's sign.

No price info yet, and nothing on Ryan's web site yet. A December 2006 Baltimore City Council agenda lists the project as being for 73 attached SFD's with "rooftop penthouses." (Must mean decks -- whatever).

The office building that was on the site is mostly demolished; just the front brick wall still stands. Lots of earthmoving equipment on the site.

Last edited by BaltimoreDeb; January 29th, 2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Insert photo
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #325
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreDeb View Post
(I would post the pic, but I don't have attachment rights, I don't believe)
Thanks for the update! Unfortunatly, SkyscraperCity does not host pictures. If you would like to include the picture upload it to a hosting service (i use photobucket.com).
southbalto no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #326
Gsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
huh????? too small?? if i'm not mistaken & don't quote me on it, i believe we have the biggest convention center on the east coast. that place is anything else but "too small".
I am not sure if it is deemed to small, but its not the largest on the east coast. NY, Phlia, Wash. and Bos. are newer and larger. NY is planning on further expansion. These facilities compete for convention/exhibition events. Its a constent "leaf-frogging" for these facilities in nabbing events.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #327
BaltimoreDeb

Thanks, that might work. :-)

I was in the DC Convention Center yesterday, for the DC auto show. It's 3 city blocks, literally, with connecting bridges. Way bigger than the old one, and also, I believe, bigger than the Baltimore convention center. Both are quite nice, though, IMO. DC's new one is sure better than the old one.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #328
getontrac

The garage on Franklin St is one of the most attractive garages we have. It fit in beautifully with the area. But the non-facaded side faced the Rochambeau, because who would have thunk anyone would knock that down.

I still can't drive up that part of Charles St. And it was my favorite section, too.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #329
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

I was in the Convention Center all weekend long. (My company hosted its annual gala there and another division hosted the memorabilia show) Its too small. WAY too small. Washington, Philly, Boston and NY all have bigger, newer and better centers. Sadly, I dont know how else they would expand. Up maybe?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #330
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Here are some convention center stats, I think the problem with the Baltimore Convention Center is size of the exhibit space

BALTIMORE CONVENTION CENTER
Features:
•Total Square Footage: 1,225,000 Square Feet
•Exhibit Halls: 300,000 Square Feet
•Meeting Rooms: 85,000 Square Feet
•Ballroom: 36,000 SquareFeet

WASHINGTON CONVENTION CENTER

The Washington Convention Center is located in the heart of the nation's capital, steps from historic museums, great restaurants and wonderful attractions. With a total of 2.3 million square feet of space, the latest technology, nationally branded dining outlets such as Wolfgang Puck's, Quiznos and Starbucks, we are ready to host your next convention, tradeshow or meeting!

Here's a quick overview of our space:
•703,000 square feet of prime exhibit space
•150,000 square feet of meeting space in a total of 66 break out rooms
•36,000 square feet of registration space
•52,000 square foot ballroom, which can seat 3,000 people (banquet style)

NATIONAL HARBOR
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center on the Potomac At-A-Glance

•470,000 square feet of flexible convention, meeting, exhibition and pre-function space
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #331
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
I was in the Convention Center all weekend long. (My company hosted its annual gala there and another division hosted the memorabilia show) Its too small. WAY too small. Washington, Philly, Boston and NY all have bigger, newer and better centers. Sadly, I dont know how else they would expand. Up maybe?
It's the smallest one the East Coast. Philadelphia is expanding now. They can expand where the huge Medical Mart was going to go about 5 years ago. That would be along the side of the Camden Yards warehouse between it and I-395.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #332
BaltimoreDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Thanks for the update! Unfortunatly, SkyscraperCity does not host pictures. If you would like to include the picture upload it to a hosting service (i use photobucket.com).
I fixed . . . thanks. I didn't have full WYSIWYG edit on. Do now.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #333
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 312

If the Hilton does what it is expected to do perhaps we will be talking about a convention center expansion somewhere down the road. If so where would they expand to? Was the convention center built to expand up and hold additional floors? I haven't attended anything at the conventon center in a while, but I will be visiting on Feb 10 for the car show. Speaking of the Hilton, is there any room for them to expand it needed?
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #334
Gsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Here are some convention center stats, I think the problem with the Baltimore Convention Center is size of the exhibit space

BALTIMORE CONVENTION CENTER
Features:
•Total Square Footage: 1,225,000 Square Feet
•Exhibit Halls: 300,000 Square Feet
•Meeting Rooms: 85,000 Square Feet
•Ballroom: 36,000 SquareFeet

WASHINGTON CONVENTION CENTER

The Washington Convention Center is located in the heart of the nation's capital, steps from historic museums, great restaurants and wonderful attractions. With a total of 2.3 million square feet of space, the latest technology, nationally branded dining outlets such as Wolfgang Puck's, Quiznos and Starbucks, we are ready to host your next convention, tradeshow or meeting!

Here's a quick overview of our space:
•703,000 square feet of prime exhibit space
•150,000 square feet of meeting space in a total of 66 break out rooms
•36,000 square feet of registration space
•52,000 square foot ballroom, which can seat 3,000 people (banquet style)

NATIONAL HARBOR
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center on the Potomac At-A-Glance

•470,000 square feet of flexible convention, meeting, exhibition and pre-function space
What is the remaining 804K ft. devoted to? I thought the lobby area was way to large. Does account for more than half the space?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #335
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

There's also the Montgomery County Conference Center with 100,000 sq feet of meeting space. It's right across the street from the White Flint Metro Station in North Bethesda, Maryland.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mc...d/Cc/index.asp

Last edited by BalWash; January 29th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #336
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
If the Hilton does what it is expected to do perhaps we will be talking about a convention center expansion somewhere down the road. If so where would they expand to? Was the convention center built to expand up and hold additional floors? I haven't attended anything at the conventon center in a while, but I will be visiting on Feb 10 for the car show. Speaking of the Hilton, is there any room for them to expand it needed?

if we would've gone in the direction with THIS kind of hotel, then yes, there would've been room for expansion. but with the type of hotel we're getting, i don't really think there's room for expansion.

the only way i could possibly see us expanding would be to build garfield traub's hotel proposal that's next to the sheraton (BELOW). peter fillat still has this hotel on his website if you've noticed, so maybe he's thinking "possible expansion" for the future as well. there's something i like about this design that makes it look special to me; i can't quite put my finger on it. this hotel would've looked really nice, especially in that spot.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; January 30th, 2007 at 04:01 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #337
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
I'm a bit confused. I thought the main driver behind the Hilton was to create the huge convention center we needed to compete with the other larger ones across the country? Maybe I'm missing something, but why are we discussing expansion after the Hilton is built? I thought the Hilton was the expansion?
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #338
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

The Hilton Convention Center Hotel will act as a sort of expansion onto the convention center, because it will feature its own ballrooms, conference space, and catering services. I doubt you'll see Baltimore add another piece to the convention center anytime soon, but I can almost guarantee that we'll see a retrofit in the coming years that reconfigures space use and improves the pedestrian experience outside of the facility. That might allow the convention center to expand ballrooms, display areas, etc., somewhat.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #339
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Oh, and it's a LOT better than the Javits center in NY, which has deteriorated considerably since its opening. The roof leaks, some of the glass facade looks downright dirty, and the convention space is cramped. Plus it's on the West Side Highway -- not exactly a great pedestrian experience, though perhaps no better than Pratt St. in its current state. I hope the city begins its renovation of the corridor this fall, so that by the time the Hilton hotel opens, most of the boulevard will appear in its new form.

Anyone know what the planners are going to do to soften the austere concrete walls of the Equitable building and the courthouse on West Pratt? Any structural modification of the buildings to permit retail at street level, or at least a "natural" environment instead of continuous, impermeable surface? I walked past that part over the summer, and I have to say that, aside from the unattractive aesthetics of the sidewalk, the most uncomfortable part of my experience was the sheer heat that the solid surfaces radiated. It was totally oppressive!
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #340
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
I'm a bit confused. I thought the main driver behind the Hilton was to create the huge convention center we needed to compete with the other larger ones across the country? Maybe I'm missing something, but why are we discussing expansion after the Hilton is built? I thought the Hilton was the expansion?
the driver behind the hilton was the need for a true convention center headquarters hotel. a hotel that can lease large blocks of rooms to an organization and be right next to the convention center. we tried this once before and got the waterfront marriott. nice hotel... but its a mile away from the cenvention center. (anyone who's ever worked, or been to an exhibiting convention knows you don't want to walk any more than you have to at the end of the day!) but this is what we got from the previous administration's coruptness (thanks to mr. schmoke for that deal). so...that's the need for the hotel.

i too, like peter filat's design and location for a headquartes hotel. BUT there is no pedestrian access from that side of the conv.cntr. that side is where the loading docks are and would require a major reworking of traffic paterns both internally and on the street side to move the loading areas. that parcel is also one potential expansion plot.
quabex no está en línea  

Closed Thread