daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3381
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

. I think it was little league night at the Park yesterday....
cgunna no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #3382
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Once Canton Crossing is complete, Hale said it would be two to three times larger than the original blueprint he drew up more than five years ago. He plans to break ground soon on a 500-unit condominium complex and expand retail space. He said he met Thursday with a big-name retailer about moving into the complex, but he wouldn't give more details.
this is good that his original plans has been expanded, but i'm still not in favor of an arena being that far from the CBD. it would just be way out of place.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3383
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Driving north on 83 I noticed some scaffolding just of the freeway near Penn Station. I think work was being done on the building that sits just north of the freeway between St. Paul and Calvert.

Is this the railroad building? Residential? Commercial?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3384
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Driving north on 83 I noticed some scaffolding just of the freeway near Penn Station. I think work was being done on the building that sits just north of the freeway between St. Paul and Calvert.

yep, that would be the railroad expressway building. it's going to be 47 lofts and retail on the bottom floors.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #3385
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Yes. Both.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3386
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

That area is nuts. I see the appeal..proximity to Penn Station, Mt. Vernon, Charles St. but there are so many boarded up homes right there. I wonder how that development just north of there is selling...
southbalto no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #3387
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I have the print version of the BBJ but I haven't read it all yet. The Sticking With The Ball Club article was about how the advertisers have not left the Orioles even though attendance at the stadium is down. They attribute the loyalty of the advertisers to the increased TV/Radio coverage of the club.

The Hendler's rehab will be a go. The city has to choose which of 2 developers will get to do the project. Both developers have tenants lined up to occupy the structure. One team proposes to spend 1.3 million on the building, the other 4 million (if I remember correctly).
Can you provide some more details on the Hendler project. I assume its going to be residential. What is the difference between the two proposals? A 4 mil investment is a significantly larger project than 1.3 mil. Are there structual changes? What is the surrounding area like?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #3388
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #3389
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

I was looking at the Sun online. There is an impressive photo of Ed Hale attached to the article about him. It shows his face in focus with a hazy city skyline off in the background. That skyline is a grouping of barely distinguishable tall buildings of different shapes and sizes.

The view of the skyline from his office just seems to have the buildings properly aligned, and the hazy shading blending the buildings into geometric shapes rather than color and texture really captures a "we are major players" identitly to the town. The photographer did a brillant job of capturing of how Ed Hale sees himself with regard to his impact on the city.

I hope this photo is in the print edition.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #3390
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Once Canton Crossing is complete, Hale said it would be two to three times larger than the original blueprint he drew up more than five years ago. He plans to break ground soon on a 500-unit condominium complex and expand retail space. He said he met Thursday with a big-name retailer about moving into the complex, but he wouldn't give more details.
If Canton Crossing is going to expand even larger, I hope we'll see some more architectural diversity than what was present in the original renderings. I doubt we'll see anything taller than the First Mariner building though, since it is supposed to be the signature tower, but it would be cool if Canton Crossing could turn into Baltimore's own Canary Wharf. I hope Canton Crossing doesn't end up taking some of the wind out of the sails of Westport though, because between the two of them, I'm more excited about Westport.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #3391
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

A lot of the TV ads were filmed in his penthouse at the Anchorage. You can see parts of the Domino Sugar sign.

I think some of the newer ads are shot in his office in Canton Crossing.

The best views of the 1st MAriner Building are from the base of the PAgoda in Patterson Park. The building really seems to loom over Canton.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #3392
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Nice pics, wada. I'm curious, did you wait for the light rail to call each time before taking the picture, is it just a coincidence that it was there each time? I prefer the cars with the Maryland flag over the ones with the simple blue stripe.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #3393
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

i sthat a Holiday Inn that is going up slightly to th eleft and the back of the zenith?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #3394
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Real Estate Market

I'm not going on the downer list....but, with the collapse of the subprime market and such, I truly see real estate slowing down, particularly as far as new construction.

I'm down to the the concept that only one of the downtown towers will break ground before the end of the year, if that. There's too much high end. The economy is too shaky. SBER has had a hell of a time selling/renting its units.

Someone said we need more condos in the $200-$300K range. I don't think so. We need them in the $100-$200K range. The problem to me is that developers won't take the risk to buld a condo building (usually 5+ stories) until the area is HOT, which raises the land costs so that the prices are always too high. We developers to venture into less popular areas to build higher density condo/apts to keep the costs down.

The other aspect is that there is stil HORDES of exsiting housing in need of rehabiltation, which is usually cheaper than new construction. Frankly as much as I'd like to see new construction, I'd like to see our better building/housing stock revived first before we lose it (like Mt. Vernon--Brexton anybody?)

I look forward to renovation of our great historic housing in W. Baltimore.

Despite the continued high murder rate and the spike over the last 2 weeks, there still have been no murders in Upton or Poppleton, and only two each in Harlem Park and Sandtown, half of which were domestic....The "gangs" appear to have moved farther west--mostly Fulton Ave and west toward Hilton. W. Baltimore is wide open for restoration. If that area could come back from psychological oblivion, we'd be approaching, though still distant, a true Center City environment.

My two cents for the next 12 months: Drastic slowdown in new construction, large scale renovation of existing properties in/near popular areas. W. Baltimore comes back from the dead

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #3395
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
i sthat a Holiday Inn that is going up slightly to th eleft and the back of the zenith?
Hampton Inn-Camden Yards. Hilton owns HI and, like Marriott in Harbor East, they like to have their brands in clusters.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #3396
jpreston02

Likes (Received): 0

Don't know if anyone posted this, but a key City Council committee postponed their vote on the Icon project until a traffic study is complete. So still no decision...

Here's the source (4/19/07):

Icon Vote Deferred on Traffic Study
At the end of last night's marathon City Council session on two bills that would allow a major new development at Lighthouse Point, the Land Use and Transportation deferred a vote until the City Department of Transportation completes its study of traffic in Southeast Baltimore.

The decision came after three hours of testimony from City officials, representatives of Cignal Corporation and the adjacent Tindeco Wharf site, local community associations, independent consultants, and concerned members of the public.

"I think this project has begun to shine a light on traffic issues" along Boston Street and the surrounding area, testified Jamie Kendrick, a deputy director at the Department of Transportation. "A site-by-site survey does not give a clear overall picture." He recommended that the Committee not act on the two bills until its traffic study has been completed.

Representatives of the City Departments of Planning, Public Works, and Housing, as well as the Baltimore Development Corporation, announced their support for the passage of the two bills. The Department of Parking also supported passage, but urged the Council to hold off voting until DOT makes its final recommendations.

Visitors in the balcony of the Curran Conference Room craned their necks to watch the presentations by Department of Planning representatives Gary Cole and Laurie Feinberg, and later in the session by Icon designer Lou Bernardo.

"The opportunity for a meaningful project is there," Bernardo observed at the beginning of his review of the latest design, which features an 18-story residential tower, parking garage, and retail space.

City Council members James B. Kraft (1st District) and Mary Pat Clarke (14th District) actively questioned City representatives and other speakers throughout the evening, seeking clarification on issues ranging from the formulas used to compute the square footage that could be built on the site to the provision for affordable housing in the proposed development. State Delegate Peter A. Hammen (46th District) also spoke.

"There is such a thing as overdevelopment," said Hammen. "The last thing we want to do is to keep people from moving to Southeast Baltimore."

Marco Greenberg, Vice President of Cignal Corporation, which owns the site and seeks to build the Icon tower, reviewed the lengthy process that Cignal had followed in its efforts to find a workable compromise. Later, representatives from Tindeco Wharf testified that they believed the process to have been fundamentally flawed.

Tempers were comparatively restrained throughout the discussion of this highly charged and often polarizing development proposal. Councilman Kraft repeatedly commended all parties for their civility and professionalism throughout the years-long review process.

The tension crested, however, during the testimony of Anirban Basu, Chairman and CEO of Sage Policy Group and WYPR radio personality. Seeking Basu's opinion on affordable housing, Clarke was surprised when her question sparked vigorous applause from the audience. "I really wasn't trying to corner you," she explained. However, Basu's opinion that the City would see little economic benefit from affordable housing on prime real estate provoked a rebuke from Kraft, who called Basu's comments "elitist" and "flippant."

Basu noted that the proposed project represented a potential $75 million investment in the City and could create over 430 new jobs. "That's the amount of skin the public has in this game," he said.

Other speakers reiterated the development's potential negative impact on vehicular and pedestrian traffic, closure of the waterfront promenade during construction, blocked views, and lengthy shadows cast by the tower.

Throughout the evening, Committee members excused themselves to attend other meetings and prior commitments. Around 40 people signed up to testify, and Committee Chair Edward Reisinger (10th District) did his best to enforce reasonable time limits to ensure that everyone had a chance to speak.

Although proponents and opponents alike had hoped that last night's meeting would lead to a decision once and for all, ultimately it was the issue of traffic impact that decided the issue for the Committee. Until DOT completes its traffic study, the two bills will remain at the committee level.
jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3397
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
The other aspect is that there is stil HORDES of exsiting housing in need of rehabiltation, which is usually cheaper than new construction. Frankly as much as I'd like to see new construction, I'd like to see our better building/housing stock revived first before we lose it (like Mt. Vernon--Brexton anybody?)
Deadline for the Waxter Center RFP (NW corner of Cathedral and Eager, across Park Ave. from the Brexton) was April 25th. Wonder when we'll hear what--if anything--came of that. Could provide the parking the Brexton now lacks.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3398
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston02 View Post
Don't know if anyone posted this, but a key City Council committee postponed their vote on the Icon project until a traffic study is complete. So still no decision...[snip]
Related: Ed Gunts has a column on Icon today. He wonders why Cignal and Tindeco don't combine efforts. Hmmm.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3399
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I agree about more $100,000-$200,000 homes and condos. Why not built a very tall tower to house people with that type of income?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #3400
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Canton tower plan gets a rise out of nearby developer
Architecture: Edward Gunts

Originally published May 7, 2007
In Baltimore development, it doesn't necessarily pay to be a pioneer.

That's one message that came out of a recent public hearing about the newest high rise proposed for Baltimore's waterfront, a 23-story tower in Canton called the Icon.

The city planning commission supports a proposal from a local developer that wants to build a $75 million, 260-foot-tall residential tower on the Lighthouse Point property, off the 2700 block of Boston St.

But first the developer, Cignal Corp. of Timonium, needs the city to amend an urban renewal plan and remove a height limit for the property that currently permits no buildings taller than 72 feet.

The proposed high rise would offer panoramic views of downtown and the harbor. It could bring more people to live and shop in the city, generate construction jobs and increase the tax base.

But it could also be detrimental to one of the earlier residential projects in Canton, the Tindeco Wharf apartments next door, by blocking sunlight and harbor views and limiting the potential for additional construction there.

It raises questions about whether the city should change development rules to help one property owner if the changes come at the expense of another owner, especially if the party that's adversely affected was there first.

Tindeco was "a pioneering investment" in its time, said Al Barry, a local planning consultant who represents Tindeco's owner, Brandywine Construction and Management of Philadelphia.

"Depending on where they put [the tower], it would eliminate a lot of the water views" from Tindeco, Barry said. "There's clearly an economic impact."

The $33 million, 240-unit Tindeco Wharf project opened in 1986 inside the old Tin Decorating Company of America plant at 2809 Boston St. It was one of the first examples of industrial properties being recycled for housing on Baltimore's waterfront.

At the time, Tindeco's neighbor to the west was the former J.S. Young Licorice Co. property, which was being turned into a marina and boat storage facility called Lighthouse Point. The city changed zoning to permit housing and retail space that would rise up to 72 feet, to supplement the marina. Those height and density restrictions provided breathing space around Tindeco that made it worth rehabbing for loft apartments.

Twenty years later, Canton is a hot neighborhood. Cignal has taken over as the lead developer of Lighthouse Point. The administration of former Mayor Martin O'Malley encouraged Cignal to think about building a residential tower west of Tindeco. Cignal responded with plans for a high rise that could very well bring more people to Canton, but also threatens to make Tindeco a less attractive place to live.

In addition, Brandywine owns a parking lot between Tindeco and the Icon site and had been contemplating a second phase that could add 49 to 91 residences, while staying within the 72-foot height limit. A 23-story tower, with five parking levels at the base, would make residences on the Tindeco lot unmarketable, according to Brandywine president Adam Kauffman. "I don't believe I could market 49 townhouses next to a garage that was taller than the townhouses," he said.

Brandywine knew there was a chance more could be built at Lighthouse Point, Kauffman said. "But we thought that if something did get built, it would have to play by the same rules for height and density that we had to play by. We assumed ... it would be compatible," he said.

"If the city is focusing on generating more taxes [by supporting the Icon project], they are taking another piece of land and rendering it useless," he said.

The Icon is not approved yet. Baltimore's current mayor, Sheila Dixon, is taking another look at it. The council's land-use committee postponed its vote about changing the height limit after the city's transportation department asked for more time to study the tower's effect on area traffic.

While that study is under way, the city ought to do even more to address the issue. Baltimore's planning department could try to get Brandywine and Cignal together to see if they can come up with a development plan that suits them both, as well as the community at large. One option would be to see if they could combine the available land at Lighthouse Point and Tindeco to create one joint development that wouldn't overwhelm the area.

To its credit, the planning department tried this before, without success. With the council vote delayed, planners have another chance.

Kauffman said he's encouraged by Dixon's stance, but worried that the tower will come up again. "We would really like a resolution to this issue, not just have it subside for several months and then come back," he said. "We're just looking for equitable treatment."

[email protected]

Closed Thread