daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3401
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
I was looking at the Sun online. There is an impressive photo of Ed Hale attached to the article about him. It shows his face in focus with a hazy city skyline off in the background. That skyline is a grouping of barely distinguishable tall buildings of different shapes and sizes.

The view of the skyline from his office just seems to have the buildings properly aligned, and the hazy shading blending the buildings into geometric shapes rather than color and texture really captures a "we are major players" identitly to the town. The photographer did a brillant job of capturing of how Ed Hale sees himself with regard to his impact on the city.

I hope this photo is in the print edition.

First Mariner Bank's Edwin F. Hale Sr. acknowledges that it's been a tough year.
(Sun photo by Christopher T. Assaf)
May 2, 2007

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3402
fluffyhorse

Likes (Received): 0

Hello, I have been MIA for a good bit but rest assured, Fluffyhorse has been with you in spirit, as an active lurker.

Also, I was wondering about the construction site at Howard and Madison that I always notice when riding the Light Rail. I cant quite remember what was planned for that site. I vaguely recall plans for condos called "the M"???
fluffyhorse no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #3403
getontrac

^Condos there.

Someone here has the link but there are already listed on real estate websites for sale. Higher end.

Strange that just outside of Mt. Vernon the development was easier to move forward. We'll see if they ever build. They'd better, since they knocked down some buildings to do so.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #3404
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyhorse View Post
Hello, I have been MIA for a good bit but rest assured, Fluffyhorse has been with you in spirit, as an active lurker.

Also, I was wondering about the construction site at Howard and Madison that I always notice when riding the Light Rail. I cant quite remember what was planned for that site. I vaguely recall plans for condos called "the M"???
http://www.monmadison.com/
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #3405
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Canton tower plan gets a rise out of nearby developer
Architecture: Edward Gunts

Originally published May 7, 2007
In Baltimore development, it doesn't necessarily pay to be a pioneer.

That's one message that came out of a recent public hearing about the newest high rise proposed for Baltimore's waterfront, a 23-story tower in Canton called the Icon.

The city planning commission supports a proposal from a local developer that wants to build a $75 million, 260-foot-tall residential tower on the Lighthouse Point property, off the 2700 block of Boston St.

But first the developer, Cignal Corp. of Timonium, needs the city to amend an urban renewal plan and remove a height limit for the property that currently permits no buildings taller than 72 feet.
the more i read this article, the more i'm realizing that between brandywine & kraft, they're both full of it. it's mighty funny that before cignal came along, the site just sat there as a parking lot. but now that cignal wants to put something there, brandywine miraculously had been contemplating a second phase to the tindeco wharf that could possibly add 49 to 91 residences. that's all bologna. JUST LET CIGNAL BUILD THE TOWER ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #3406
Patrick33

Natty Boh Guy meets Utz Girl

Hi everyone:

Lurkus Maximus here. I probably haven't posted for over a year, but continue to enjoy the forum.

I was driving up I-83 from downtown tonight and think I saw the Natty Boh man proposing to the Utz girl on a billboard near Penn Station. A Smyth ad, from what I could tell while going 60 mph.

If anyone can get a photo of it (I don't work downtown), it looks pretty humorous. A great sense of regional humor, whoever did it.

Last edited by Patrick33; May 8th, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
Patrick33 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #3407
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick33 View Post
Hi everyone:

Lurkus Maximus here. I probably haven't posted for over a year, but continue to enjoy the forum.

I was driving up I-83 from downtown tonight and think I saw the Natty Boh man proposing to the Utz girl on a billboard near Penn Station. A Smyth ad, from what I could tell while going 60 mph.

If anyone can get a photo of it (I don't work downtown), it looks pretty humorous. A great sense of regional humor, whoever did it.
I too saw the sign. It's great advertisment for the city if you know who the Natty Boh and Utz girl are!
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #3408
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
I've never heard of the Chesapeake Arts Center. And this is the type of place in which I have true interest. You say it's been around five years and I've been hear almost six. Seems odd/strange/sad etc, that one can live so close, although not in BP but in Fed Hill area, and never hear about it. Maybe it's a Balto thing?
http://www.chesapeakearts.org/
micrip no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #3409
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Nice pics, wada. I'm curious, did you wait for the light rail to call each time before taking the picture, is it just a coincidence that it was there each time? I prefer the cars with the Maryland flag over the ones with the simple blue stripe.
Few things in my life are coincidence. I waited. I like the Maryland flag cars better also. The worst color scheme the MTA ever used was in the 70's when they had acid green and blue on every bus in town.

~~~~~

I've noticed a tremendous increase in the amount of pedestrian traffic on Pratt Street this year. The sooner the city gets cracking on the redesign and actual reconstruction of the street, the better. Every day that goes by translates into lost tax revenue. I think they will be making a terrible mistake if they drag this project out for 6 long years.

~~~~~
TWO YEARS OF CHANGE FROM ATOP FEDERAL HILL:

LAST WEEK

LAST WEEK

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; May 8th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3410
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

No more pepsi sign.. only mt dew >_<
House3780 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #3411
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Wada...there used to be water in that last shot. :-(
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #3412
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoChris View Post
I too saw the sign. It's great advertisment for the city if you know who the Natty Boh and Utz girl are!
There's another like that (though not nearly as good) on 95. An ING sign that says something like...

"0 minimum, 0 fees...how bout' them O's"
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3413
House3780

There use to be native americans there too.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #3414
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Wada...there used to be water in that last shot. :-(
Yeah, I know. The Inner Harbor is getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller. They just significantly expanded the marina at the foot of Federal Hill. There was no forum for public input for this project. When all the boats get docked there in the near future, there will be the appearance of even less water then what you see now. And when the boats for the Ritz come, it will appear even smaller.

If the City keeps practicing poor planning the Inner Harbor will soon look like the River Walk in San Antonio. They call it a river even though it has less water visible then what you see coming down the Jones Falls.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #3415
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

300 east pratt

i ran into someone this morning who's associated with the 300 east pratt street development. rumor on the street is that the economy has sadly knocked the height of the tower dwon to 37 stories.....

hope this isn't true
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #3416
House3780

NIMBYs Too many NIMBYists. Thats whats kept this city from growing (taller and denser).. people afraid of change. Views of water should be the least of our worries. Especially views of dirty water. Unless your home is right on the water your view is eventually going to change. Except it. And when buildings like the ICON dont go through, dont complain because you're doing the same thing right here and now. But at least traffic concerns are more relevant and less selfish as far as a community is concerned.. as opposed to being able to see the water in every picture you take from now to 50 years from now and as if not being able to see it makes it no longer exist.

THE WATER IS STILL THERE. go find a new vantage point!! still plenty of places to take a picture and get buildings AND water in it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #3417
30 Floors Up

Sorry, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3418
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post

THE WATER IS STILL THERE. go find a new vantage point!! still plenty of places to take a picture and get buildings AND water in it.
while i agree with you on most points, the impacts to the views from federal hill park to the water is VERY bad. historically, there was always a view out to the harbor. all of the 5 story development along key highway has altered that view forever...and in a bad way.

Baltimore is about the harbor. having a view of it is important, especially from a historic public park that is for everyone. federal hill is a unique vantage point that is truly special. it's one of the best places within an urban setting world wide.

if we wall of the water, we lose a piece of our vernacular, character and history.

it's just a shame that it's quality and character is compromised. they really need to look at the waterfron and come up with a comprehensive plan for it. get tall and narrow. allow the water to "filter" through to the neighborhoods.

it's a resource for everyone in the city, not just people paying $500,000+ for a waterfron condo!
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3419
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
NIMBYs Too many NIMBYists. Thats whats kept this city from growing (taller and denser).. people afraid of change. Views of water should be the least of our worries. Especially views of dirty water. Unless your home is right on the water your view is eventually going to change. Except it. And when buildings like the ICON dont go through, dont complain because you're doing the same thing right here and now. But at least traffic concerns are more relevant and less selfish as far as a community is concerned.. as opposed to being able to see the water in every picture you take from now to 50 years from now and as if not being able to see it makes it no longer exist.

First, I'm far from a NIMBY. Search through this thread and read my posts before making such accusations.

Secondly, my issue with the Ritz-Carlton project is (and always has been) the ridiculous scale of the project. There's no doubt in anyone's mind that this project could have been done in a more tasteful and elegant manner.

Third, tone it down and step off of your soapbox. Again, read my other posts before decided to put me in the same category as the Canton residents who oppose the ICON tower. (BTW...its really not that great a project to begin with)

Finally, please don't take every comment on this board as a complaint. My comments (and Wada's comment's regarding my comments) were criticisms of a botch project that is getting by partially because its under the Ritz flag.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #3420
House3780

Its a forum dude. EVERYONE is on a soapbox.

Closed Thread