daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3441
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
On another note, seriously, I wouldn't mind if the entire Inner Harber west of the Jones Falls outlet, were filled in and became a giant park. We'd finally have a large downtown park like every other city.
A physician proposed tearing tearing down Federal Hill to fill in the Inner Harbor in the 19th century, just as Boston tore down Mount Vernon to fill in the mud flats of the Charles River to create Back Bay.The process had begun anyway--the west shoreline was creeping east from Charles Street and north heading south from Water Street.

Having the Constellation front and center is cool, but a larger park wouldn't be bad either.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #3442
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Steve

Let's hope it gets raised. Another big disappointment for the city would be if the retail piece is just a chain restraunt. Another Filene's type store would make Pratt St look more like Michigan Ave, Fifth Ave,etc..

It makes you wonder what the real estate market will really be like in 4-5 years when this project is likely to be completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Sadly, the rumor is true:

To: Jeff Monge
Subject: rumor

Hi, Jeff. I recently heard a rumor that the 300 east pratt street project
was reduced to a 37 story tower. Is this really true?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, again.

Steve Wyatt

www.skyscrapercity.com
www.skyscraperpage.com

---------------------
His answer:

Yes it has been reduced but it is not final.

fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #3443
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

Thanks, again.

Steve Wyatt

www.skyscrapercity.com
www.skyscraperpage.com

---------------------
His answer:

this is bad news. very bad. i still have strong confidence that baltimore is going to see atleast one supertall in ihe future.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #3444
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:

Thanks, again.

Steve Wyatt

www.skyscrapercity.com
www.skyscraperpage.com

---------------------
His answer:

I e-mailed the exact same guy with the exact same question and he responded with:

"Too early Mr. Smith. We are getting there."
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3445
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Sad news about 300 E Pratt. 37 stories would be very disappointing, especially with how slow 10 IH is moving.

As far as the Ritz project, I see both sides of this. The view from Fed Hill to the Harbor was amazing and for some of that to disappear is sad. It was a special place as Folsom said. Still, views remain and it's good to see development, especially because this should bring in some solid taxpayer money that will then be turned around and hopefully used to fix schools and such. I think the buildings look fairly nice, but I do tend to agree that building those right there is kinda pointless. Either do something smaller that protects the water views for those in Fed Hill or do something grand but slender that keeps some view but adds some great density and adds more to the skyline.

I for one think the slender tower would be perfect there and think Baltimore needs to start looking to go slender instead of buildings like Water Tower and the Vue. 30 story buildings that are pretty fat aren't that appealing in a skyline.
This is true. Fat and squat towers take up so much of a view that it is ridiculous. To the best of my recollection, I think the only slim tower we have in our skyline is the Harbor East Marriott.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3446
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
This is true. Fat and squat towers take up so much of a view that it is ridiculous. To the best of my recollection, I think the only slim tower we have in our skyline is the Harbor East Marriott.
Only if you look at it from the south. Looking from the weat or east (especially unflattering) it's just a big wall. That building should have been much taller and skinnier.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #3447
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
That's a bit disappointing. But 37 stories is still better than a surface parking lot. Hope the project gets under way soon.

Maybe the BDC with put enough hats on 300 East Pratt to make it 50 stories! (Just joking. I hope they don't put any hats on the building at all)
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #3448
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Perfect day/evening to take pictures.........

I made it to pratt/light st and remembered I left the battery at the house..

I rolled up to the 3 alarm in south east just as the trucks were arriving. 40' flames. The view from the pagoda was amazing. Intense white clouds contrasted by that billowy tower of black smoke.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #3449
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I don't get it. Why don't they just wait the real estate slump out and keep it at 50 stories? Or make the hotel component larger. The economy is hot and I don't why some of you act like it's not. The only sectors that aren't performing well are RE and autos. And RE is regional.

As discussed before and proven by good points from WADA, the wealth is here. Hell, they are opening a new Maserati dealership on York Rd. You should see the used car lot. Looks like a yacht club parking lot in Monaco.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #3450
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Perfect day/evening to take pictures.........

I made it to pratt/light st and remembered I left the battery at the house..

I rolled up to the 3 alarm in south east just as the trucks were arriving. 40' flames. The view from the pagoda was amazing. Intense white clouds contrasted by that billowy tower of black smoke.
that was a heck of a fire. i saw the smoke coming north on 95 on my way home tonight. looked like half of brewer's hill was on fire!
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #3451
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

^Not convinced the economy is hot. Larger national and international economic trends will trump regional trends if the former trends shift downward drastically--and with our national debt and energy scarcity iminent, I wouldn't claim extreme confidence. That said, I agree waiting out is not a bad idea, but if the developer can make a lot of money on 37 sooner, is that enough incentive to wait for possibly (greater economic uncertainty farther in future) more money later on 52?

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #3452
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
that was a heck of a fire. i saw the smoke coming north on 95 on my way home tonight. looked like half of brewer's hill was on fire!
I saw the smoke from the Rotunda parking lot.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #3453
fanofterps

Boutique hotel at the Brexton?
Naing confident of success where many others failed
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 9, 2007 6:47 PM
Richard Naing, the developer known for his plans to build two 60-story skyscrapers near Baltimore’s City Hall, has set his sights on another ambitious city real estate project: restoring the historic Brexton building to its former glory.

Many developers have tried and failed at the same task, leaving a series of discarded plans in their wake. One proposed creating a bed-and-breakfast, another thought a dance club might work. But the building’s physical quirkiness and extreme state of decay has thwarted developers every time.

Naing, however, has confidence that his company, RWN Development Group LLC, can accomplish what others could not. He wants to create a boutique hotel inside the Brexton, retuning the castle-like, 19th century building to its roots. Last used in the late 1980s for apartments, the building was at one time a residential hotel.

“I’ve done 30 years of historic rehab, and I know exactly what I’m doing,” said Naing, who bought the building this week from an investor who forfeited plans to convert the building into upscale condominiums. “We will not fail.”

Naing said he paid about $750,000 for the Brexton. He said he expects to invest about $2 million or more to convert the building into a small hotel with a high-end restaurant on the ground floor. He said he has no illusions about the difficulties of retrofitting the awkwardly shaped structure for a modern use.

Flanked by two turrets, the Brexton casts an imposing presence on an otherwise dank section of Park Avenue in the city’s Mount Vernon neighborhood. But its front on Park Avenue masks a strange, triangular shape that provides only about 12,000 square feet of space.

“It’s very inefficient,” Naing conceded.

But he said a hotel would be the perfect use for the building. It is just a few blocks from the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall and less than a mile from the city’s downtown business district.

Baltimore’s hotel market has also been thriving, boasting an average occupancy of 71 percent, according to the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. A number of hotel projects are being planned around the city.

A North Carolina developer has land under contract in Little Italy where he wants to build a Fairfield Inn & Suites. A Red Roof Inn is on the books for Saratoga Street on the West Side. So is a Sleep Inn in the Furncraft Furniture Co. building and a Cambria Suites next door to the Furncraft building on The Fallsway downtown, among other projects.

All told, the city had 1,301 hotel rooms under construction last year — including the publicly funded Hilton Convention Center Hotel next to Camden Yards — and another 794 rooms planned for this year, according to the downtown partnership.

Antony Gross, a broker with Coldwell Banker Commercial NRT who helped the Brexton’s previous owner sell the building to Naing, said his client had difficulty funding the condominium conversion.

“The cost of construction went up significantly,” Gross said. “It made more sense to him to just sell it to someone who had more time and more capital to do the deal.”

Naing said he expects to apply for historic tax credits to help fund the Brexton redevelopment.

He said the Brexton project will not divert his attention from plans for the City Hall skyscrapers. He is scheduled Thursday to present plans to the city’s architecture review panel for the first skyscraper, which would rise on Guilford Avenue on property where the Hammerjacks night club operated before closing last spring.

The building’s first phase would be a parking garage that Naing said he expects to complete by 2009. After that, he hopes to begin construction for an apartment or a condominium tower on top of the garage, he said.

Naing said the market would decide when he would begin the second tower.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #3454
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

I was actually in Baltimore today all day. I have never really walked around and I have to say it was incredible. I've been to a lot of O' and Raven's games and been to the aquarium but when I walked around I was impressed. I walked from the Legg Mason building to Federal Hill and then to that really tall condo complex. A few things struck me, first, my goal in my life is to live in the houses near the top of the hill. They are without a doubt the coolest inner city houses I have ever seen. Such nice architecture and size and the VIEW, just wow. The townhouses they are building between the Visual Art museum and the condo tower are also amazing, they are built right over the water and they look just incredible. I was also at the O's-Devil Ray's game although I left in the top of the ninth.

That fire was huge, does anyone know what was burning?

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #3455
fanofterps

Is good news coming Thursday

Maybe Naing is getting ready to go. I'm a liitle confused on his plan. I assume the 2nd tower would go above the parking garage?
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #3456
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
^Not convinced the economy is hot. Larger national and international economic trends will trump regional trends if the former trends shift downward drastically--and with our national debt and energy scarcity iminent, I wouldn't claim extreme confidence. That said, I agree waiting out is not a bad idea, but if the developer can make a lot of money on 37 sooner, is that enough incentive to wait for possibly (greater economic uncertainty farther in future) more money later on 52?

Nate
I'm not generally pessimistic, but over the years it has seemed like whenever somebody announces something big for Baltimore, it gets downsized before the digging begins. I guess I've gotten so used to it that when something IS announced, I wait for the inevitable second news. Let's hope it stays at 37 and hope it doesn't end up shrinking again.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #3457
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoutz View Post

That fire was huge, does anyone know what was burning?
Adcor Industries, southeast Baltimore. Apparently they make metal products and have oxygen and acetylene tanks. That would make for an impressive fire starter.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #3458
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Adcor Industries, southeast Baltimore. Apparently they make metal products and have oxygen and acetylene tanks. That would make for an impressive fire starter.
Wow.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #3459
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoutz View Post
.... A few things struck me, first, my goal in my life is to live in the houses near the top of the hill. They are without a doubt the coolest inner city houses I have ever seen. Such nice architecture and size and the VIEW, just wow.
I have a distant relative that used to live in the house on the corner of the hill, front windows facing downtown, side windows, a lot of them, facing the outer harbor. From the third floor in winter (no leaves), the view was as good as it gets. The moved a couple years ago, a big disappointment to me. The houses are nice inside and quite large but the view really made it all work. It's not hard to understand why the people on the hill are pretty militant about anything blocking their view.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #3460
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I have a distant relative that used to live in the house on the corner of the hill, front windows facing downtown, side windows, a lot of them, facing the outer harbor. From the third floor in winter (no leaves), the view was as good as it gets. The moved a couple years ago, a big disappointment to me. The houses are nice inside and quite large but the view really made it all work. It's not hard to understand why the people on the hill are pretty militant about anything blocking their view.
That one and the stucco one two houses down were my favorites.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  

Closed Thread