daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #3501
jpreston02

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone know of any good ideas/promises that came out of this:

Talking about traffic
May 11, 2007
On April 24, approximately 120 attendees met at the Johns Hopkins Downtown Center for a symposium titled “By Choice, Not By Chance: Transportation for the Baltimore Region.” The event was sponsored by Lambda Alpha International, the Greater Baltimore board of Realtors and the Baltimore Chapter of the Urban Land Institute.

“The purpose of the meeting was to raise public awareness regarding the urgency of addressing regional transportation needs and new technological and operational possibilities since the adoption of the 2002 Baltimore Regional Rail Plan,” said LAI Baltimore Chapter President Neil Muldrow in an online letter. “With a proper governance structure, there is the need to examine the business case for the rail plan and to assure the participation of the state and the region's local governments in the funding and execution of the plan.”

Topics included the potential for a Baltimore rail system, the passenger and freight train “bottleneck” in Baltimore, using a public/private partnership to improve mass transportation in city, and how to prepare for the commuter needs of what could be 60,000 new jobs in the state due to Maryland’s success in the Base Realignment and Closure process.

Here are a several links about LAI and its efforts to promote Land Economics – the study of land use, and how that use affects communities and the environment.
jpreston02 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3502
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
Swirnow, HarborView hoping to start 2 more towers this year
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 10, 2007 6:30 PM
Developer Richard Swirnow is preparing for the final steps of a real estate project that has transformed 14.5 acres of South Baltimore shoreline from a shipyard to a posh — though often controversial — residential community.
welcome, baltosteve!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #3503
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Regardless, it looks as though Naing saw the light. The picture in today's Sun shows the new garage in the middle of the block with the Terminal Building on one side of it and 222 Saratoga on the other. Yea!
i kinda' have mixed thoughts with naing incorporating the terminal building into this project. maybe i'll feel different once the tower goes on top of the garage.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #3504
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
i kinda' have mixed thoughts with naing incorporating the terminal building into this project. maybe i'll feel different once the tower goes on top of the garage.
Doesn't appear Naing owns the Terminal Warehouse; its owner is listed as Fort Knox Baltimore LLC while the properties he owns to the south are listed under RWN-Guilford Avenue LLC. Perhaps he has an option; or perhaps he included it in the model for context.

Apartments and retail in the TW would add life to the least lively part of downtown. Much more so than another garage.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #3505
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Of the 3 structures in the picture, I think the Terminal is the best looking! There are supposed to be vines growing all over front wall of the garage Hmm.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #3506
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
There are supposed to be vines growing all over front wall of the garage Hmm.
Right. There were supposed to be vines growing all over the T. Rowe Price garage at Lombard, Light, and Calvert. Pyracantha are tough; the city's tougher.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #3507
getontrac

This answers the question as to how Naing can begin demo before 1 year: the garage footprint only includes Hammerjacks and the old garage.

Presumably the tower itself would have parking, too. 660 spaces isn't squat for a 60 story building.

Go back to my post from a few days ago about new construction this year, BUT I TOLD YOU SO!!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #3508
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Of the 3 structures in the picture, I think the Terminal is the best looking! There are supposed to be vines growing all over front wall of the garage Hmm.
you were right about fiitting that building in!
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #3509
getontrac

Really, I don't think we can blame developers on this, the bigger the project, the more financing they need to obtain, and the more risk they assume if the economy doesn't pan out.

Ideally, ONE of the projects should stick to tall and go ahead, and the others will wait a year or two and build tall also. It'll take longer, but I see that as the only realistic way with the current outlook to get that many talls. I don't think we can get all the talls with significantly overlapping construction timetables.

Nate
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #3510
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
This answers the question as to how Naing can begin demo before 1 year: the garage footprint only includes Hammerjacks and the old garage.

Presumably the tower itself would have parking, too. 660 spaces isn't squat for a 60 story building.

Go back to my post from a few days ago about new construction this year, BUT I TOLD YOU SO!!

Nate
I don't think they were talking about the building itself being squat...just the entrance. It looks like a 1 story entrance for a presumably 60 story building...definitely squat. You want at least a story and half or 2, see The Vue and eden apts as examples.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #3511
jpav

I think whoever builds first will be laughing all the way to bank. Baltimore could handle one of these buildings fine. All three at once maybe not, but one for sure. I'm not a developer but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to wait until BRAC is in full swing to start building. If he is thinking 3-4 years for BRAC "to rev up" then start building for another three years that's a minimum of 6 years. All those BRAC people would have already found a place to live by that time. It would seem you would want to have the units waiting for them when they arrive.
jpav no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3512
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
And it begins...

Meanwhile, his key competition - two other companies planning downtown skyscrapers - said yesterday that they've pulled back on the number of condos they plan to build. New York-based UrbanAmerica now says its proposed Pratt Street building might have 250 condos and 300 hotel rooms, rather than vice versa. Philadelphia-based ARCWheeler, taking another look at plans for its Light Street skyscraper, thinks it will keep the loft and condo component below 200 units instead of nearly 300.

Richmond S. McCoy, president and chief executive of UrbanAmerica, said he remains optimistic because Baltimore's housing market is "outperforming most markets."

But Naing thinks it's not a good time to be selling or building condos.

"It's not just the market, it's also the perception," he said. "Right now the perception is very negative - you couldn't even get financing if you wanted to."

RWN Development, which worked for years in Washington before branching out to Baltimore, said it has not pushed back its timetable. Home sales were already slowing drastically as the company assembled land last year.

It paid about $21 million for three properties: the Saratoga Court Apartments at Saratoga Street and Guilford Avenue, which it plans to keep; the Guilford Avenue parking garage next door; and the Hammerjacks building next to that. It plans to pull down the garage and Hammerjacks.

Naing had said he intended to build two 60-story towers with a mix of condos and apartments. Yesterday he said the skyscrapers might be different heights - one shorter than 60 stories, one taller - and include a hotel.

UrbanAmerica said yesterday that its skyscraper could be as tall as 50 stories, while ARCWheeler said its building would probably have about 55 floors - at a height of between 650 feet and 750 feet.

I don't know the article seems to indicate that they want to build to the same height they talked about earlier, just with less condo's. I wouldn't expect to see anything before 2009.

In the mean time, we will just have to watch our new 2nd tallest building Legg Mason/4 seasons!

Last edited by Maudibjr; May 11th, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spacing
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3513
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
welcome, baltosteve!!
Thanks!
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3514
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I agree with WADA. If they start building now, the market will have turned around by the time they are done. However, pre-sales are what the lenders look for so I'm guessing that is what is slowing things down.

Naing made a good point. He said the market's status has a lot to do with perception. He's dead on. I think perception is more at play here than other market forces. People are scared. Lenders are scared. I think most of this is driven by the media and the pessimistic types. The doom and gloomers. The media loves doom and gloom.

From what UrbanAmerica said, it seems like they are still set on 50 stories and Arc Wheeler is still set on 650 to 750 ft. That's pretty good news. No surprises here folks. We all knew no ground braking will be happening this year.

Swirnow's comments are fantastic. I like his vision.

I know after speaking with John Voneif at Arc Wheeler that they are committed to tall. He's proud of the views you'll have from 95 and from the Bay Bridge. There are egos at stake here and these guys want to build tall.

I'm optimistic.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3515
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
I agree with WADA. If they start building now, the market will have turned around by the time they are done. However, pre-sales are what the lenders look for so I'm guessing that is what is slowing things down.

Naing made a good point. He said the market's status has a lot to do with perception. He's dead on. I think perception is more at play here than other market forces. People are scared. Lenders are scared. I think most of this is driven by the media and the pessimistic types. The doom and gloomers. The media loves doom and gloom.

From what UrbanAmerica said, it seems like they are still set on 50 stories and Arc Wheeler is still set on 650 to 750 ft. That's pretty good news. No surprises here folks. We all knew no ground braking will be happening this year.

Swinnow's comments are fantastic. I like his vision.

I know after speaking with John Voneif at Arc Wheeler that they are committed to tall. He's proud of the views you'll have from 95 and from the Bay Bridge. There are egos at stake here and these guys want to build tall.

I'm optimistic.
I agree to. All three tall project may not be built, frankly I would be more surprised if all three did, but I am still very optimistic we are going to see some height.

Remember, developers are not bankers. They have to get credit to build these buildings and generally pre-selling condo's is a great way to show bankers confidence. So if condo's are soft its harder to get that loan, especially for the considerable amount of money a 50-60 storey building will take, much more than Swinnow will need for 17 stories. However, saying that, I am still confident that someone will build tall, unlike our favorite whipping boy Clark, these guys have real reputations for getting things built.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #3516
getontrac

I'm optimistic about the City because it's a "city". Urban living is sustainable living for the future. I reitterate my concerns about energy....

Drugs, crime, and gangs are becoming endemic everywhere, no longer in urban cores. Gangs are more problematic of late, but the dispersion of these ills will no longer be exclusive of cities. Biggest threat to urban viability versus non-urban: cities that lie to close to the sea waterfront. It's a real issue not going away. Fortunately, most of Baltimore won't be affected by moderate global warming, but those that will be affected are highly valued for the most part.

I can't wait for Naing to get started on the Brexton; you don't know how many times I looked out my 8th story window of 611 Park Ave expecting to see a roofless hulk after a rain or snow storm. Naing does sound pretty no nonsense and little bit less business speak than other developers. I love the fact that thought that the parking put in at Saratoga Ct was detrimental and conceded that there was plenty of parking elsewhere--you usually don't get that from a developer! He sensibly is putting retail in there to liven up that dead section.

As a soon to be Mt. Vernon resident again, I can't help but get excited about the Brexton and the Waxter proposals. The Waxter idea is great, add lots of density, limit parking (but still add), create "affordable" units, solidify a huge block.

Don't get down everybody. Just think, soon the new additions to IHE will open and we'll really have that robust urban dream of commerce/retail/movies. The Water condos will open adding more people and streetlife and inducing more retail, same with Zenith. The delivery of these products will be more substantial in their urban effects than the groundbreaking....

Nate
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3517
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Downtown Baltimore remains hot commodity

by Rita Chappelle, The Examiner

The World Trade Center recently gained two new tenants.

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - The recent sale of the 21-story Mercantile Bank and Trust Building and the 16-story W.R. Grace Building to USA Realty Fund for $78.9 million reinforces that despite national market declines, downtown Baltimore real estate is still a hot market for investors.

“I think, pure and simple, the value [of Baltimore real estate] has risen, and the fact that buyers are willing to come into the market is definitely a promising trend,” said Robert Aydukovic, vice president for economic development for the Downtown Partnership, a nonprofit business group. “It shows that institutions and publicly traded money are discovering non-Pratt Street office buildings, and for well-tenanted office buildings, they are going to trade well.”

Aydukovic said Baltimore City has not seen institutional buyers for a long time, but they are beginning to recognize the tremendous value of many of the older buildings in the city.

Continued interest in existing downtown real estate seems to be improving the prospects for the state’s World Trade Center. Since announcing that the 31-story, 330,000- square-foot office tower would be retained in the Maryland Department of Transportation’s real estate portfolio, inquiries into the site have increased. “The World Trade Center is more than 50 percent leased and interest in the site is high,” said MDOT spokesman Richard Scher. “Since Secretary [John] Porcari made the announcement back in February, we have signed several new tenants and are in negotiations with other prospects.”

Scher said a real estate group signed a three-year lease and a venture capital company a one-year lease.

“We are in the midst of a full-scale effort to reinvest in and aggressively marketing the building. Real estate professionals within MDOT, working in conjunction with our consultant, ZHA Consulting, are making recommendations on improvements and developing a strategic marketing campaign,” Scher said.

Scher says MDOT plans to emerge with a sound blueprint to keep the momentum going. This is good news to Baltimore City officials.

“The best validation of the city’s long-term prospects comes from the marketplace,” said Andrew Frank, Baltimore City deputy mayor for neighborhood and economic development. “And the market is telling us that the office market is strong and is likely to remain so.”
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3518
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
From what UrbanAmerica said, it seems like they are still set on 50 stories .
it's been reduced. hasn't been confirmed yet, but according to the emails steve and peter got the other day, it more than likely will be reduced.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #3519
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
I think whoever builds first will be laughing all the way to bank. Baltimore could handle one of these buildings fine. All three at once maybe not, but one for sure. I'm not a developer but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to wait until BRAC is in full swing to start building. If he is thinking 3-4 years for BRAC "to rev up" then start building for another three years that's a minimum of 6 years. All those BRAC people would have already found a place to live by that time. It would seem you would want to have the units waiting for them when they arrive.
I was thinking the exact same thing. NOW is the time to build!
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #3520
Northern
Unregistered User

A piece of common knowledge concerning residential construction I learned is that houses built during slow times are usually better quality than those built during a hot market when developers are not rushed to move on to the next project...

Closed Thread