daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #3661
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

So the Brewery went to five grand....

Five Grand?

I would love to know more about the developers and their specific plans for the site.
cgunna no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #3662
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
So the Brewery went to five grand....

Five Grand?

I would love to know more about the developers and their specific plans for the site.
Shucks, forget about the site, what that area? It's in horrible condition. I heard some time ago that the city bought almost 200 out properties around the Brewery so I guess we'll be hearing something about that pretty soon also I guess.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #3663
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

I think Cignal will eventually have to back out and a more Canton "friendly" developer will have to take the lead.

I am not complaining about the rejection as it would have blocked my views of the Key bridge Dundalk Marine Terminal and Bethlehem Steel. But I am also realistic in thinking that something will be built there eventually.

I have a funny little story to tell you about that side of town. I had a visitor from out of the country yesterday and I was taking him back through the tunnel on our way to the airport. He asked through the interpreter "Whats that?" pointing to the huge pile of salt sitting at the Ruekert Terminal. I said "Salt". Then he pointed to the pile of Coal at the CSX terminal on the left side and asked "What's that?" And I said "Pepper"

I got a really strange look aftrer that.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #3664
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
Shucks, forget about the site, what that area? It's in horrible condition. I heard some time ago that the city bought almost 200 out properties around the Brewery so I guess we'll be hearing something about that pretty soon also I guess.
yeah, that area is hideous. i hope humanim knows what they're doing in making this move.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3665
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yeah, that area is hideous. i hope humanim knows what they're doing in making this move.
Sounds like they do. From the Humanim web site:

"Humanim, a non-profit human services agency, has launched a project to renovate the American Brewery, in Baltimore City, which will house employment programs and clinical support services for the residents of this poverty stricken community."

More on the project here.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3666
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
[snip] I had a visitor from out of the country yesterday and I was taking him back through the tunnel on our way to the airport. He asked through the interpreter "Whats that?" pointing to the huge pile of salt sitting at the Ruekert Terminal. I said "Salt". Then he pointed to the pile of Coal at the CSX terminal on the left side and asked "What's that?" And I said "Pepper" I got a really strange look after that.
I'm stealing that ...

Although, I bet if Ed Hale had his way, the answers would be "Phases III and IV of Canton Crossing." Bulk storage is probably not the highest and best use for that location, but ya gotta put the salt and "pepper" somewhere.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3667
jbrinsfield

Likes (Received): 0

anyone know why they won the bid/gift over the other bidders?

on a side note..

I sure hope they keep as much of the beautiful architecture of the brewery intact as possible , it would be a shame to mar it with "budget" repairs.
jbrinsfield no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #3668
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

I had a walkthrough of the Brewery one time. They sure have their work cut out for them renovation wise. The place was one big crack house. I expected to be shot but I ended up get bitten by some mongrel and had to go get the series of rabies shots. Since then a good portion of it has been torn down with just the front building remaining.

On another note concerning the arena I went and had a couple of beers last night with a principal of a firm that does a lot of arena design work around the world. I learned some interesting rules of thumb.

An arena needs on average 26 GSF per seat
An arena construction costs around $300/ GSF
On the low side of things an arena costs around $4500 per seat. Of course that varies. The "Back of House" expenses are pretty much the same, so the more seats you add the lower the cost per seat and also the cost of skyboxes, VIP seating etc will change the CPS too.

If anybody has any questions, this guy is going to be one of my guests at the Preakness so he will be in town until Sunday
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #3669
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
If anybody has any questions, this guy is going to be one of my guests at the Preakness so he will be in town until Sunday
Great data from the arena guy. If you have a chance, ask him

1. where he thinks the arena should be located;

2. has he ever done an arena with a lot of street-facing, first floor retail;

3. has he ever worked with a "star-chitect" like Gehry (Atlantic Yards/Brooklyn Nets) or Calatrava (Athens Olympic venues)?

Mostly interested in (1), but really hope that if it moves ahead, it's a decent piece of urban architecture and not a plain vanilla box. Insight welcome.

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3670
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

That Atlantic Yards/Brooklyn Nets plan looks amazing. Why can't Baltimore ever get plans like that? We always get the boring and lackluster designs.
bma83 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3671
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
That Atlantic Yards/Brooklyn Nets plan looks amazing. Why can't Baltimore ever get plans like that? We always get the boring and lackluster designs.
This project is still being protested by residents. I believe it still facing some litigation. If they just built the arena over the rail yard that would have been ok, but the developer has a much more ambitious project in mind. He wants to severly impact upon the residents in the area, displacing people in rent controlled apartments (a real find in NY). Most of this area is good stable housing, not run down. The developer wants to put up quite a few high rise coop buildingrs at astronimical prices. I think some might be in the sixty story range, no big deal for the Big Apple. The average price for a one-bedroom coop in NY is rapidly approaching a mil. I could really make a killing on my unit, but there is no affordable place to go.

As an aside, Walter O'Malley the former owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, wanted to relocate the Dodgers to this site as a replacement for Ebbits Field. O'Malley did not ask for any city funding, he was going to build the new stadium with his own money. Robert Moses, the Scrooge-like head of the city's franchise bureau, said the only site for O'Malley was Queens. So O'Malley split for sunny southern California.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #3672
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
Yeah. I'm probably wearing out my welcome with forumers by continually touting Stockholm Street south of M&T as a location for the arena, but if it was merged with the snoozer-looking Ray Lewis/Cormony project immediately to the southwest along the water and if a decent architect was brought in, we'd have a pretty cool anchor for Harbor West.

And a link between Pat Turner's Westport project and the Aquarium's near the Hanover Street Bridge.

(Once the arsenic's cleaned up at Swann Park, that is.)

City Paper sketched it out ...

Last edited by jamie_hunt; May 16th, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #3673
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfield View Post
anyone know why they won the bid/gift over the other bidders?

on a side note..

I sure hope they keep as much of the beautiful architecture of the brewery intact as possible , it would be a shame to mar it with "budget" repairs.
Were there other bidders? I doubt it since the building has been abandoned for song long. Selling it for 5K is pretty much like selling a city-owned house for a buck.

I think SBER has a history of doing great repairs (edit: I don't think repairs would be the right word), if the Boh brewery is any indication. The architecture of that is a little less significant, and it looks great to me.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #3674
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
From the water cooler.......

I've yet to hear it first hand and haven't gotten her source but our buiding manager claims that Donald Trump has either purchased or is in the process of acquiring land in port covingtion.
Well I heard from a cashier at Sams Club that all of the stores are closing to be replaced by condos. Might not be the best source for secret real estate projects but I'm guessing she isn't motivated to make up stories.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #3675
jamie_hunt

O'Malley says Maryland racing needs slots to keep the Preakness. Doesn't say Pimlico and Laurel are the only places they'd be. The Trump/Port Covington rumor could have legs. Just sayin'.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #3676
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Rumor has it, Oprah bought 2 penthouse condos at Ritz Carlton Residences, knocked out the dividing wall and combined them as one suite. I also heard she completely plastered Baltimore with nothing but good things to say on her show today.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #3677
k25150

That Opera rumor is true. I know this first hand from someone who used to work at Midtown Baltimore who are developing the Ritz. I think it's 3 condos not 2.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #3678
k25150

I mean Oprah. Oops.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3679
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

Seventeen Floors Of Mystery And Intrigue!

I walked by the Fidelity Building yesterday and saw that work is continuing on that structure. They have now suspended scaffolding from the roof and it appears as though they are repointing the mortar between the stone. There were a slew of new permits pasted on the door. I read them all but I still couldn't determine what the final product will be. I know they are welding, demolishing walls, and parking dumpsters in the curb lane since those are what the permits were for!

I asked two "official looking hardhats" what was going in there and they wouldn't tell me and played dumb (might not have been an act!). As you all know, Fidelity is now owned by Peter Angelos' Artemis Properties. http://www.onecharlescenter.com/ArtemisInfo.pdf

Angelos appears to be spending significant money on the building - but for what? Personally, I would love to see a Hotel Monaco in that building! If it is not going to be a hotel, then I would like to see some condos. I think the city needs more home ownership opportunity in that area. Oakwood, the Twin Charles Center Towers, and BG&E are all rental buildings. Balance is everything IMHO.

~~~~~

A NEW LOW - Even for Baltimore

Some genius spray-painted the base of the John Eager Howard statue (with a 6 foot giant *****), the Order statue base, and Mt. Vernon Methodist Church (with 666 and a Star). I called 311 and the city was already aware of it. Up until now, Mt. Vernon Square was always off limits to these monster vandals. I suppose that, too, has now changed. Everyone should be outraged at this. When the perps are caught they should be locked for a long, long, time.

Do you think Rush Limbaugh waddled into town and got revenge?

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; May 17th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3680
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Olmstead Update

Olmstead Story from Baltimore Messenger....................

Developer tries to jump-start Charles Village project

05/16/07
By Adam Bednar

Email this story to a friend

Only 25 percent of the condos at Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse's Village Lofts building in Charles Village have been sold.
Lagging condominium sales and uncertain prospects for public financing have stalled The Olmsted, a planned condo and retail building with a garage on the west side of St. Paul Street in Charles Village.

Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse has sold only about 25 percent of the 68 condos that it built in the Village Lofts building at 3201 St. Paul St. on the east side of the street.

Now, the developer is seeking the city's approval to redesign The Olmsted, a project planned across the street, by increasing the number of stores and condos and making the condos smaller than originally planned.

But Struever Bros. also wants to make the building taller, and company officials aren't sure they can afford to keep their promise to "wrap" the condos around the garage so the garage can't be seen from the street. That promise helped convince area residents and the city to support the project in the first place.

"We have a conundrum, what would look best versus the economics of the project," Struever Bros. development director Emilie Baratta said.

That didn't sit well with city officials and community leaders at a May 10 meeting of the city's Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel. "This is going back to the drawing board," said Sandy Sparks, chairman of the North Charles Village Design Review Committee, a citizens' advisory board.

"We don't want to look like a suburban shopping center," said Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke, of the 14th District. "We want to look like Charles Village."

Right now, the project doesn't look like anything. It's a bulldozed lot where University Minimart used to be. The vacant parcel worries some area residents and prompted a scolding edtorial in a student newspaper at Johns Hopkins University. JHU recently relocated its Homewood campus bookstore to a street corner opposite the Olmsted site and built student housing above the bookstore in an effort to integrate students into the community.

Collectively, the Village Lofts, The Olmsted, the Hopkins bookstore and student housing are known as Village Commons. The endeavor, which was estimated last year to cost $170 million, is being built in partnership with Canyon Johnson Urban Funds, one of whose investors is basketball great Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

In an editorial April 26 headlined, "The hole in Charles Village," a Hopkins student newpaper took Struever Bros. to task for the delay. "If Struever Bros. no longer sees The Olmsted as a profitable investment, it should look to other developers -- including Hopkins -- to offer proposals for the site," the editorial in the Johns Hopkins News-Letter stated.

Hopkins is rooting for Olmsted because it ties in with Village Lofts and the bookstore and the student housing, JHU spokesman Dennis O'Shea said in an e-mail.

Struever Bros. and Hopkins were involved in the community consultation process for all three projects, so it's important that the developer "remains committed to that consultative process and to the enhancement of the neighborhood, the common goal of everyone involved," O'Shea said.

"The first reaction from the community was we want that space filled with something productive and of use, and sooner (rather) than later," said Dana Moore, president of the Charles Village Civic Association. "There is a need for parking, a need for attractive buildings and a need to fill that hole in the ground."

But for Struever Bros. to make the building taller, the city would have to approve an amendment to its "planned unit development" zoning status, which limits its size and use. The City Council approved the current PUD in 1998.

Another problem is that investors so far are unwilling to buy Tax Increment Financing bonds that the city agreed to sell to finance 400 public parking spaces and streetscape improvements, such as crosswalks that are half built.

Investors are reluctant to buy TIF bonds because the condo market is soft and Struever Bros. is having difficulty selling Village Lofts condos, Clarke said.

"We're not getting the speed of sales we're looking for," said Joshua Neiman, senior development director for Struever Bros.

Original plans for The Olmsted called for 119 condos up to 1,200 square feet and starting at more than $400,000. The need for smaller, less-expensive condos became evident because of slow sales in the Lofts, Neiman said.

Rough plans now call for The Olmsted to have as many as 252 condos that could be as small as 700 feet and would be priced as low as $250,000, Neiman said. The new plan also envisions a building as much as 43 feet higher than the 317 feet previously proposed.

The Board of Municipal & Zoning Appeals would make the final decision as to whether to grant a variance to the current PUD.

No one blames Struever for the downturn in the housing market.

"They missed the bubble," Clarke said. "We're all in the same boat. We didn't create the economy."

Clarke said she wants Struever Bros. to succeed, though not at the expense of the neighborhood. And since the city has a stake in the project, and the TIF financing is uncertain, "we're all in this together now," she said.

Clarke said Struever Bros. is "working with everybody, so I think it'll come out OK."

Editor Larry Perl contributed to this story.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  

Closed Thread