daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM   #3761
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
this isn't hardly true. this is a false generalization. there's parts of woodlawn, randallstown, owings mills, dundalk and glen burnie that are so bad, i would rather be in the city.
name them.

i'll wait.
cgunna no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM   #3762
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

What do you mean name them??? Woodlawn and Randallstown DEFINITELY have their bad parts. The county is in no way shape or form free from crime, especially in these areas. They sit right next to west baltimore and the drugs and crime that come with it travel easily across the line.

Stop living in your dream worlds. Its not hell on earth, but its not blue skies and pink flowers outside of central baltimore either.

Have any of you ever lived or visited outside of Mt Vernon, the Harbor, and Federal Hill??????? And I just dont mean to the Best Buy of the neighborhood. Anyone ever lived in west baltimore??? Cause from comments like "name them" and Baltimores not segregated it doesnt seem like many people here have seen much outside of Charles Street and Boston Street.

Its a completely different world out there.

Last edited by House3780; May 22nd, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM   #3763
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
name them.

i'll wait.

woodlawn: you have walden circle townhomes and crosswinds at rolling road and parts of that surrounding area

randallstown: you have mcdonough apartments and townhomes and the surrounding areas

owings mills: you have the many sections where section 8 is allowed. i don't know the name of the streets because i'm not from that area, but i know the area when i see it.

dundalk i'll give dundalk the benefit of the doubt.

glen burnie i have relatives that live off of cain avenue that have been mugged or robbed on numerous occasions. the first and forth time it happened, there were sprayings on their house that said "go home spics". the second and third time it happened, there were signs that, according to the police, resemble the gang The Bloods
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #3764
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
name them.

i'll wait.
For pete's sake, everyone's had a chance to vent with respect to crime.

It's indisputable that crime does not stop at the city's borders, though the City Paper's murder map for 2006 does indicate that homicide is most prevalent in neighborhoods to the east and west of downtown, with incidences following some major transportation corridors out of town. Further the incidence of crime, specifically homicide, does seem to correlate with development, or a lack thereof.

Message received and processed. May we move along now?

As a courtesy to the rest of the forumers (who undoubtedly care about crime, but come here for "bricks and mortar" news and discussion), how about taking this discussion off-line? That's what the private messages link in the upper right hand corner is for. Alternatively, there are message boards at the Baltimore Crime blog linked to yesterday, as well as at the "Murder Ink" section of City Paper.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #3765
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

All of you missed the point.

My point was the absoulte WORST part of Randallstown/Woodlawn you could come up with would be about a great, normal middle class neighborhood in the city.

If any of you think these horrible (LMAO) parts of the county are anywhere near the horrible parts of the city, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've lived in all parts of the city. Including Cherry Hill, Park Heights and Greenmount Ave. I've also lived in some of these 'bad' parts of the county you folks mention.

Yup. Hearldy Square Apartments off Rolling road sure does remind me of o Old York.

Of course I know there is crime everywhere. Deviants know no boundries. Duh. My point was anyone who wanted to compare the crime in the county to the crime in the city was simply being dellusional. I love Bmore as much as the next man. But come on, lets be for real.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3766
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Back to happier topics...

Seems that the city's recent budget surplus will finally get us our fountain for West Shore Park that we've been waiting for.

Here's the story: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

And the part regarding the fountain: "Included in the list of projects is $1 million for the city's Department of Recreation and Parks for a fountain to be located in the Inner Harbor's West Shore Park. Half of that cost will come from leftover income tax revenue and the other half will be paid for by state and private grants, according to Board of Estimates documents.

"The fountain will have five rows of jets and lights to create fountain 'walls' that intersect and through which children can run," according to that document.

A spokeswoman with the parks department said the money would be sent to the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's development agency, and referred questions there. A BDC spokeswoman did not return a phone call seeking comment. "
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #3767
waj0527

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
Back to happier topics...

Seems that the city's recent budget surplus will finally get us our fountain for West Shore Park that we've been waiting for.

Here's the story: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

And the part regarding the fountain: "Included in the list of projects is $1 million for the city's Department of Recreation and Parks for a fountain to be located in the Inner Harbor's West Shore Park. Half of that cost will come from leftover income tax revenue and the other half will be paid for by state and private grants, according to Board of Estimates documents.

"The fountain will have five rows of jets and lights to create fountain 'walls' that intersect and through which children can run," according to that document.

A spokeswoman with the parks department said the money would be sent to the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's development agency, and referred questions there. A BDC spokeswoman did not return a phone call seeking comment. "
Yay!! This park isnt nearly as bad as we all thought it'd be when it first opened. The flowers and the like have really given it charecter. This fountain will help too. I like it.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM   #3768
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Yay!! This park isnt nearly as bad as we all thought it'd be when it first opened. The flowers and the like have really given it charecter. This fountain will help too. I like it.
yeah, it's gonna' be great to have another activity for people who come down to the harbor as a family.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #3769
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Awesome news. This fountain sounds great. We have been waiting for this park to gain some character and this could finally do it.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3770
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Awesome news. This fountain sounds great. We have been waiting for this park to gain some character and this could finally do it.
Great news...but how long will it take to put in? Is this something that could be done by the end of June, or are we looking at next year?
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #3771
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Yay!! This park isn't nearly as bad as we all thought it'd be when it first opened. The flowers and the like have really given it character. This fountain will help too. I like it.
The "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree" of parks. ;-)

I'm kinda partial to the fixed table/swivel chair sets. Best "bar seat" in town. A couple of small places for food vendors are going in along the promenade at the north and south ends of the park. "Coddies" and sno-cones for sale would be my preference.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #3772
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=jamie_hunt;13312405]The "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree" of parks.

The mention of Christmas just gave me a thought. Last time I was in Chicago in early December they had an outdoor Christmas market downtown. It was cold as hell outside but the place was packed. Anyone think westshore park could provide something like this?
jpav no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM   #3773
edrican103

Bmore crime

BALTIMORE --

Baltimore city could soon have a serious constitutional problem on its hands if the City Council declares martial law to combat crime in troubled neighborhoods, American Civil Liberties Union officials said.

The proposal drafted by Council Vice President Bob Curran will officially be assigned to his committee Monday tonight.

But legal experts said they doubt the city can impose a law to fight crime that was drafted to restore order because of a riot.

According to the proposal, police will also be instructed to shut down businesses and limit the number of people gathered on sidewalks.

But David Rocah of the ACLU in Baltimore said that unless there is an extraordinary circumstance, such as a riot, Curran's proposal to fight crime is unconstitutional.

"The problem is this new interpretation that is being given to that language to suggest that the mayor will have the power essentially to declare martial law in the absence of something like a riot," Rocah said.

Curran modeled his proposal after a campaign promise made by Michael Nutter, a former Philadelphia city councilman who is running for mayor there.

In Nutter's campaign for mayor, he pledged to impose the law his first day in office to combat crime. But the ACLU contends Nutter and Curran are misinterpreting the law.

ACLU officials said the law was enacted 40 years ago in response to a riot and is intended to be used only in that type of circumstance -- not in response to rising crime.

"The problem of murders in Baltimore is a serious problem. There is no denying that. But that is not a problem -- here or anywhere in the U.S. -- that gives the mayor or the police chief the power to declare martial law," Rocah said.

Curran's measure would initially allow the mayor to establish public safety act zones for two weeks, with the option to renew indefinitely.

The city police have already adopted some of the measures. Officers have barricaded neighborhoods, checked IDs and flooded chosen areas with city services. But Rocah said he found aspects of that police action troubling, too.

"We don't live in South Africa where we have the pass system, where you have to justify your presence on the streets to a police officer," he said.

The bill is being considered in three forms -- as an ordinance, as subject to voter approval or as a non-binding resolution asking the General Assembly to change state law.

edrican103 no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM   #3774
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
The "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree" of parks.

The mention of Christmas just gave me a thought. Last time I was in Chicago in early December they had an outdoor Christmas market downtown. It was cold as hell outside but the place was packed. Anyone think westshore park could provide something like this?
most definitely! we don't have the size of chicago, but we definitely have the character. sounds like a great idea!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #3775
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican103 View Post
BALTIMORE --

Baltimore city could soon have a serious constitutional problem on its hands if the City Council declares martial law to combat crime in troubled neighborhoods, American Civil Liberties Union officials said.

The proposal drafted by Council Vice President Bob Curran will officially be assigned to his committee Monday tonight.

But legal experts said they doubt the city can impose a law to fight crime that was drafted to restore order because of a riot.

According to the proposal, police will also be instructed to shut down businesses and limit the number of people gathered on sidewalks.

But David Rocah of the ACLU in Baltimore said that unless there is an extraordinary circumstance, such as a riot, Curran's proposal to fight crime is unconstitutional.

"The problem is this new interpretation that is being given to that language to suggest that the mayor will have the power essentially to declare martial law in the absence of something like a riot," Rocah said.

Curran modeled his proposal after a campaign promise made by Michael Nutter, a former Philadelphia city councilman who is running for mayor there.

In Nutter's campaign for mayor, he pledged to impose the law his first day in office to combat crime. But the ACLU contends Nutter and Curran are misinterpreting the law.

ACLU officials said the law was enacted 40 years ago in response to a riot and is intended to be used only in that type of circumstance -- not in response to rising crime.

"The problem of murders in Baltimore is a serious problem. There is no denying that. But that is not a problem -- here or anywhere in the U.S. -- that gives the mayor or the police chief the power to declare martial law," Rocah said.

Curran's measure would initially allow the mayor to establish public safety act zones for two weeks, with the option to renew indefinitely.

The city police have already adopted some of the measures. Officers have barricaded neighborhoods, checked IDs and flooded chosen areas with city services. But Rocah said he found aspects of that police action troubling, too.

"We don't live in South Africa where we have the pass system, where you have to justify your presence on the streets to a police officer," he said.

The bill is being considered in three forms -- as an ordinance, as subject to voter approval or as a non-binding resolution asking the General Assembly to change state law.

welcome!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #3776
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
That would be pretty cool. Generally, something like that would work best in a place with a lot of hardscape to accommodate the booths and foot traffic(isn't the Chicago one in the plaza in front of City Hall?). Not sure what the West Shore's ratio of pavement to lawn/garden/sand is going to be when it's redone. The RFP said the park should accommodate existing uses, including the trapeze school and the sand volleyball courts, plus the Pride of Baltimore memorial, plus a walking loop, plus ...

On the other hand, it's nine acres. Oughta be enough room.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #3777
edrican103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
welcome!!
Thanks,I've been on this sight for a while but never posted.But, I am so facinated with Baltimore.I currently live in NYC but I am getting tired of the lifestyle over here.I've been to Baltimore twice and I love that place,the problem I have is the high crime.I have a wife and will be very concerned for her,but all the development going on I have real high spectations that it will change.
edrican103 no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:50 AM   #3778
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Hey guys

Let's keep this a development site. I get carried away to with the recent shootings and murders we have seen all over Baltimore.

Quote:
name them.

i'll wait.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM   #3779
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Harbor East Retailers opening August

Retailers I know are opening are Starbucks, Landmark Theater's(7 screen cinema), CVS Pharmacy, upscale Urban Chic from Georgetown, Arhaus Furniture in Tysons Corner Mall and I believe either Cold Stone Creamery or Haggan Dias Ice Creme next to the movie theater. I believe there are several more but I am not sure who they are yet.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:01 AM   #3780
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

What is going on with the Vue? I've been by there a few times in the last 2 weeks and they are tearing up sidewalks around the perimeter of the building. It looks like they are digging around the foundation and there is some pumping equipment onsite.......

Anyone know if they are having problems?
southbalto no está en línea  

Closed Thread