daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM   #3781
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Retailers I know are opening are Starbucks, Landmark Theater's(7 screen cinema), CVS Pharmacy, upscale Urban Chic from Georgetown, Arhaus Furniture in Tysons Corner Mall and I believe either Cold Stone Creamery or Haggan Dias Ice Creme next to the movie theater. I believe there are several more but I am not sure who they are yet.
Are those definitely slated for August? Did you get that from a reliable source? I can't wait to see the block with the Vue on it up and running. Those openings will be a major upgrade for that area out of the current state of construction.
rxsoccer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM   #3782
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Arhaus and Urban Chic

have on there Web Sites that they are opening in Aug 2007 in Harbor East. I read a few weeks ago that both CVS and Landmark are opening in August as well. I drove by the Vue last week and they are putting up drywall in the Movie Theater/Stores. The Hilton hotels are opening in July per Baltimore Business Journal and they have hired a GM and Sales Manager. The condo's start settlement in July according to a friend from Struever. The Legg Mason/Four Seasons will have 3 resturaunts and 45,000 sq ft of retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
Are those definitely slated for August? Did you get that from a reliable source? I can't wait to see the block with the Vue on it up and running. Those openings will be a major upgrade for that area out of the current state of construction.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM   #3783
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican103 View Post
Thanks,I've been on this sight for a while but never posted.But, I am so facinated with Baltimore.I currently live in NYC but I am getting tired of the lifestyle over here.I've been to Baltimore twice and I love that place,the problem I have is the high crime.I have a wife and will be very concerned for her,but all the development going on I have real high spectations that it will change.
The last thing I want to do is to restart the crime thing, but, if you are thinking about Baltimore, it's worth noting that there are a lot of great places to live around here where crime is NOT a big factor in life. Since Baltimore will never approach the intense urban experience of NYC, I'd suggest finding something quite different from that. There are lots of alternative environments around here.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM   #3784
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
The last thing I want to do is to restart the crime thing, but, if you are thinking about Baltimore, it's worth noting that there are a lot of great places to live around here where crime is NOT a big factor in life. Since Baltimore will never approach the intense urban experience of NYC, I'd suggest finding something quite different from that. There are lots of alternative environments around here.
I agree completely but of course a lot of it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Of course, the vast majority of baltimore is affordable in comparison with NYC but I know that doesn't mean everybody from NYC has carte blanche to buy whatever they want. There are many areas of baltimore you can live and feel extremely safe in your everyday life.
(despite the threat of marshall law.... are you kidding me??? )
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #3785
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
I agree completely but of course a lot of it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Of course, the vast majority of baltimore is affordable in comparison with NYC but I know that doesn't mean everybody from NYC has carte blanche to buy whatever they want. There are many areas of baltimore you can live and feel extremely safe in your everyday life.
(despite the threat of marshall law.... are you kidding me???
Don’t forget (average) salaries in Baltimore tend to be lower than those in New York City.

Upon graduation, a daughter of a good friend landed what she thought was a terrific income in NYC. Accustomed to the cost of living in the Baltimore region, she was appalled at what little her terrific salary afforded in the Big Apple. (Ultimately she moved outside of Manhattan into a larger apartment in Stamford, Connecticut, and still lives with a roommate.)

With that said, Baltimore is cheaper than New York City, but so are the salaries. Big winners are those who 1) manage to maintain salary level, or 2) those with “purchasing power” in terms of transferred equity from higher priced real estate.

Nonetheless, I have the same opinion Baltimore offers wonderful contrasts in terms of city living: be it “city-suburban” to downtown. Baltimore will never match Manhattan…but Manhattan will never be a London, Paris or Hong Kong. Each and every city has its pros and cons; I can’t say Baltimore is better or worse than any other city…
Eerik no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #3786
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Turner outlines construction timetable

Baltimore developer Patrick Turner plans to start construction March 1 on an ambitious plan to develop the former industrial shores of the Middle Branch, with the first buildings in the $1.4 billion community -- including a 65-story mixed-use skyscraper -- to get under way by 2009.

Turner, president of Turner Development Group, has spent several days this week introducing his Westport project to retailers at a major shopping center convention in Las Vegas. On Thursday, the developer will present a site plan to the cityís Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM   #3787
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

For those interested, Microsoft has a “Google-ish” version of Earth that is definitely worth checking out. It’s called Virtual Earth, and like Google Earth, you can inspect aerial views, maps, and just about everything else…including buildings in 3D.

However, what makes Microsoft Virtual Earth different is -- buildings in 3D can be viewed in astounding lifelike detail -- buildings are rendered with incredible accuracy. Keep in mind folks...these images are real, but IT generated.

Granted the program-views lack structures from the current city panorama, but when you can maneuver your viewpoint to read billboard advertisements on the First Mariner Arena...what else is there to say? In a few years time, we’ll probably be able to look at scenes in live “real life.”

Below, I have attached some views. To accommodate download speed, I have slightly compressed the raw images. If you click on them, you’ll see a slightly larger version of the original.

To download the program, do so at Microsoft Virtual Earth.

Last edited by Eerik; May 23rd, 2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot the MS hyperlink. :-p
Eerik no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3788
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Westport looks to line up retail
By Lorraine Mirabella
Sun reporter
Originally published May 23, 2007

Baltimore developer Patrick Turner plans to start construction March 1 in an ambitious plan to develop the formerly industrial shores of the Middle Branch, with the first buildings in the $1.4 billion community - including a 65-story, mixed-use skyscraper - to get under way by 2009.

Turner, president of Turner Development Group, has spent several days this week introducing his Westport project to retailers at a major shopping center convention in Las Vegas. Tomorrow, the developer will present a site plan to the city's Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel.

Turner, reached yesterday at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention, said he is nearly finished buying property for the 50-acre project. Plans call for it to include 2,000 apartments, condos and townhouses, 300,000 square feet of shops, 3 million square feet of office and entertainment uses, and two hotels with a total of 500 rooms. Turner plans to settle soon on an estimated $3 million purchase of property owned by trash-hauling company Cockey's Enterprises Inc.

Despite the real estate slowdown that has caused some area developers to scale back or delay condo projects, Turner said the market will turn up by the time the Westport units are ready. Office demand, he said, will grow as a result of federal base realignment adding military and defense-related jobs. "We're talking about residential building coming on line in 2009," Turner said. "In multifamily, we already have people who want to build." A New York developer is interested in building a rental apartment tower next to the Westport light rail stop, he said.

Turner's company is in talks with hotel operators and townhouse builders. And he expects some of the office space to be filled by defense contractors who want to be in a central location near Aberdeen Proving Ground and Fort Meade.

While at the ICSC convention, Turner said he and brokers from CB Richard Ellis have been meeting with retailers about opening stores and restaurants in the Westport project.

"That's what we're chasing now," said Turner, who said retailers are finally looking seriously at Baltimore City. "People are looking at it real hard. In the past, they would cringe, and now they sit down and take notes."

The project has received site plan review approval from city planning officials. Tomorrow, the city's architecture review panel will assess the site plan from a design standpoint.

Turner said plans he unveiled last year have remained mostly intact, with a few changes. For one thing, the developer had to remove a proposed velodrome, a biking arena that could be used for sports or concerts, and rethink plans to create a beach on the waterfront. The proposed site of the velodrome, a former city park, is in a resource conservation district where construction is prohibited, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers preferred creating additional wetlands rather than a beach, Turner said.

Turner also was unable to save the facade of a former Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. power plant on the site. It is currently being demolished.

[email protected]

Hope his 'bite' is better than his bark.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #3789
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Projects exacerbate city traffic woes
Baltimore Business Journal - May 18, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Nicholas Griner | Staff
Traffic heads east on Fleet Street near Harbor East at rush hour.
View Larger New developments such as Harbor East and Canton Crossing are transforming southeast Baltimore City, but those projects also are creating traffic headaches for motorists who traverse that corridor during rush hour.

It's a problem the city says could get much worse and cost at least $10 million to Band-Aid and another $212 billion to completely overhaul, according to a recently completed study by the city's transportation department.

By 2012, nearly 65 percent of all southeast Baltimore's major intersections could fall below passing grades, the study says.

What that means is motorists will find themselves waiting through several cycles of traffic lights before they can get through the intersection. Some of the area's busier roadways might seem that way now, but only three out of 34 intersections fail now. If the city does nothing, that figure will jump to 22 out of 34 intersections within five years.

If changes aren't made, "the whole thing goes to hell," Baltimore City Planning Commission member Javier Bustamante said at a recent meeting.

Southeast Baltimore is one of the fastest-growing parts of the city, and within it, there are a handful of major projects expected to add new residents, office workers and vehicles to the area.

In total, more than 6.5 million square feet of office and residential space will be under construction or planned by 2020, adding more than 20,000 new motorists to the roadways during afternoon rush hour. That much new traffic, the study noted, will result in longer delays and congestion at a majority of the areas busiest intersections.

As a long-term fix, the city expects to spend about $212 billion on transportation projects. Those include possibly extending the proposed Red Line, an east-to-west rail line, into the area, expanding Boston Street to four lanes, adding a new MARC commuter rail stop at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and rebuilding Central Avenue.

In the short term, the city's transportation department has come up with about $10 million in smaller projects officials hope will minimize congestion while they work on those larger projects.

The report includes a series of recommendations that will cost the city between $4.6 million and $8.45 million to implement. That estimate does not include running costs of $1.2 million to $2.25 million to fund initiatives such as adding traffic control officers to major intersections during peak times.

Among the studies recommendations:

Either converting Fleet and Aliceanna streets to one-way streets between Boston and President streets or restricting parking on Eastern Avenue during rush hour;
Promoting the use of alternate routes through Canton and Fells Point, including Fayette and Orleans streets;
Removing mid-block traffic lights along Broadway;
Reconfiguring and widening President Street;
Improving the city's mass transportation system; and,
Prohibiting commercial truck parking on Central Avenue during certain times.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM   #3790
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Petards, Inc. Establishes U.S. Headquarters in Baltimore
Location a Key for Growing Presence in North American Security and Surveillance Market

BALTIMORE, MD -- (MARKET WIRE) -- May 22, 2007 -- Petards, Inc. (www.petards.com), the AIM-listed developer of advanced surveillance systems, today announced the opening of its U.S. headquarters in Baltimore.

Petards, Inc. selected Baltimore for its headquarters because of its centralized location and convenient access to a number of key markets, including federal, state and local governments.

"With the establishment of a U.S. headquarters, we are underscoring our commitment to the North American marketplace," said Frank Baitman, president of Petards, Inc. "Our experience in Europe enables us to offer government and commercial clients valuable insights into using surveillance technologies to achieve their business objectives. Too often, organizations purchase products from vendors that do not have the expertise to link these products to their mission. With over 30 years of practical experience in video surveillance, Petards can help customers to achieve their objectives -- whether it is crime control, deterrence, or prosecution. Being in Baltimore provides us with a unique opportunity to focus on our customers and recruit the talent needed to support growth opportunities throughout North America."

Petards, Inc.'s headquarters are located in the Natty Boh Tower, 3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 250, Baltimore, MD 21224. The new headquarters will be the site for training and education of systems integrators and the focal point for North American marketing and product development. The company's technical support division will remain in Orlando.

About Petards

Petards, Inc. is one of the most trusted and respected security partners in the world, with installations in 40 countries. We design, manufacture, supply and support digital surveillance and security systems for environments where there is no room for error. Clients select Petards for its unique combination of flexible, user-friendly technology and rock-solid experience in critical security environments. Our solutions include integrated control systems; smart CCTV for automatic threat identification including automatic number plate recognition; in-car video evidence and enforcement systems; and mobile, wireless surveillance solutions. For more information, please go to www.petards.com.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #3791
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

College lacrosse tourney sets ticket sales record

Baltimore Business Journal - 8:10 AM EDT Wednesday, May 23, 2007by Ryan

Organizers of the 2007 NCAA men's lacrosse final four tournament have set a new sales record for the amount of all-session tickets sold.

Lax4Baltimore, the committee spearheading the event locally, said Tuesday more than 45,000 tickets have been sold for the event, which kicks off Saturday at M&T Bank Stadium. That number eclipses the previous record of 43,734 all-session tickets sold for the tournament which was set in 2006 when the event was held at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

Last year's Division I championship game set a new attendance record for the event, drawing a crowd of 47,062.

Baltimore will play host to the NCAA's Division I, II, and III men's lacrosse championship games May 26-28. Johns Hopkins University, Loyola College, Towson University and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County will serve as the host schools for the tournament.

The 2007 tournament could generate as much as $15 million for the city of Baltimore, officials from the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association said May 11.

At the time, BACVA spokeswoman Nancy Hinds said the event could generate more if ticket sales increased - which they have.

Johns Hopkins University, Duke University, Cornell University, and the University of Delaware are the schools still remaining in the tournament.

~~~~~

Lacrosse Magazine has a little blurb about Baltimore that includes our "language"!

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.c...storyid=165373

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #3792
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Great news about Westport. I have a lot of faith in Turner and he seems to have a lot of faith in the future market. At least we can expect one tower to go up in the future.

As for traffic issues, it's time they get serious about ramping up mass transit. That would put a huge tent into traffic problems and also elevate our city to a whole new level. How can a city so big have virtually no mass transit? We deserve at least the East/West red line and then extending the metro further south and east. There should really also be another line that extends from canton/fells point up through the Towson area, but we know that will never happen. I also think somehow creating a line through Federal Hill would be a great idea for night life down there, especially because it's so difficult to park there.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #3793
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

More European flights expected at BWI
By Meredith Cohn
Sun reporter
Originally published May 23, 2007

A new accord between the United States and the European Union could help bolster BWI's fledgling international business, with low-cost carriers providing much of the service, a panel of government and industry officials and consultants said yesterday.

The officials were commenting on the latest "open skies" agreement at a symposium yesterday in Annapolis sponsored by Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

As evidence, they pointed to Ryanair, Europe's largest discount carrier, which announced it would launch service to U.S. cities including Baltimore around the time the latest open skies accord was signed.

The agreement will allow flights between any U.S. city and European country for the first time next year.

Before the accord, foreign airlines could only fly between their home countries and U.S. cities.

And U.S. carriers didn't have unfettered access in popular countries such as England, Spain and Ireland.

The goal is to encourage more service, choices and lower fares on all kinds of airlines.

"This allows airports like BWI to pursue new carriers," said John R. Byerly, the State Department's chief negotiator of the pact.

For BWI, whose international travelers complain they are chronically under served, the challenge has become how to capitalize on the new freedoms.

Airport officials and consultants point to Ryanair and other discount airlines.

European discounters could target the like-minded BWI with its large domestic low-fare business that can connect passengers to the rest of the United States as well as feed outgoing planes.

U.S. discounters
And domestic discounters that dominate BWI, including Southwest Airlines, could eventually offer overseas service alone or with code-shares, says Christina Cassotis, vice president of SH&E International Air Transport Consultancy.

"We kind of think it's a no-brainer," she said.

But she and other consultants and airline officials warn that BWI and other so-called second-tier airports must still overcome the hurdles to overseas service they faced before the open skies pact.

Washington Dulles International and Philadelphia International remain the region's hubs. Dulles, for example, offers more than 200 international flights a week and is home to a United Airlines hub that attracts other service through overseas alliances.

BWI has about 15 international flights a week. It has had trouble luring and keeping foreign carriers, and has even had to subsidize British Airways at times to lock in a daily flight to London.

Because low-fare carriers dominate the airport, there is no major international alliance working for the airport.

Further, supply and demand are largely in check. And the vast North Atlantic market has established routes to and from popular destinations, said Grant Whitney, Northwest Airline's manager of Atlantic planning.

But Northwest and other network carriers are beginning to make more use of Boeing 757s, smaller than the usual trans-Atlantic planes but larger than the domestic workhorse Boeing 737s that Southwest employs.

They hold more than 200 passengers and are fuel-efficient.

Smaller jets a boon
These smaller planes could be the linchpin for airports like BWI that can't regularly fill larger planes, said Robert A. Hazel, managing partner of Eclat Consulting.

Smaller planes could mean there is less risk on a new route for low-fare or network carriers, said Timothy L. Campbell, executive director of the Maryland Aviation Administration, which oversees BWI. "There are a lot of opportunities we're looking at," he said.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #3794
PeterSmith

Charles Street Trolley

I also received an e-mail this morning from the Charles Street Development Corp. There will be two meetings held to discuss the project with the public. They will be:

June 21, 6pm at the Baltimore Convention Center, and;
June 25, 6pm at the BMA

The e-mail also stated that the website will be updated in the near future.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM   #3795
PeterSmith

Nice article on Westport. Just out of curiosity, Westport is slated for:

Apartments, condos and townhomes: 2,000
Retail Space: 300,000 sq.ft.
Office and Entertainment Space: 3 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms: 500
Total Price: 1.3 billion

Does anybody have these specifics for Harbor East and Harbor Point? I'd be interested to see how the two projects stack up against one another.

Also, it looks like Westport is going to be developed by just more than Pat Turner. Perhaps we'll get to see more than one building go up at a time. If we're likely we'll get something like Portland's South Waterfront where they break ground on a skyscraper just about every two or three months...if we're lucky....
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM   #3796
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post

Does anybody have these specifics for Harbor East and Harbor Point? I'd be interested to see how the two projects stack up against one another.

Also, it looks like Westport is going to be developed by just more than Pat Turner. Perhaps we'll get to see more than one building go up at a time. If we're likely we'll get something like Portland's South Waterfront where they break ground on a skyscraper just about every two or three months...if we're lucky....

what portland is getting here is impressive. it's pretty clear that pat turner means business, so i feel that our project is also going to move this swift.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; May 23rd, 2007 at 04:33 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM   #3797
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post

Petards, Inc.'s headquarters are located in the Natty Boh Tower, 3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 250, Baltimore, MD 21224. The new headquarters will be the site for training and education of systems integrators and the focal point for North American marketing and product development. The company's technical support division will remain in Orlando.
I didn't realize they named it the Natty boh Tower.

Nice to see you post again StevenW
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM   #3798
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post

Does anybody have these specifics for Harbor East and Harbor Point?
According to this leasing brochure, the numbers for HE/HP are:

Total s.f. (res, retail, restaurant, office): 10 million+
Hotels: 7 with 2100 rooms
Residences: 2500+
Restaurant and retail: 1 million s.f.
Office (Class A): 3 million s.f.
Parking: 9000 spaces
Area: 65 acres
Price: $2 billion plus

Portland's South Waterfront seems to fall somewhere in between in the two, numbers-wise, though closer to HE/HP.

[snip]
"On 38 acres of Portlandís riverfront property, The River Blocks at South Waterfront represents the next phase in Portlandís evolution as one of the most livable cities in the nation, seamlessly blending city life with access to nature. Developed in part by the team that helped create Portlandís most popular and fastest-growing urban neighborhoods, the Pearl District and Brewery Blocks, The River Blocks will offer the best that Portland has to offer: convenient access to transportation, Portlandís best restaurants, theaters, museums and shopping, as well as the relaxation and recreation opportunities of the Willamette River. A public/private partnership between the developers, the City of Portland, the Portland Development Commission and Oregon Health & Science University, The River Blocks is slated to be complete by 2010 and have a $1.9 billion value at full build out."
[snip]

P.S. with regard to trolleys, Gerry Neily has an essay on where they'd work and where they wouldn't on his blog.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #3799
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Donít forget (average) salaries in Baltimore tend to be lower than those in New York City.
That isn't necessarily the case. I've found that NYC salaries are not nearly as competetive as one would believe, with my presumption being that people want to live in NYC so badly, they will sacrifice some income. When I was interviewing for jobs I was extremely close to taking the offer in NYC until I got my offer in Baltimore which was for over 10% higher salary. Like you said, hard to turn down lower cost of living with higher salary. That may not be the norm but I was shocked to see how poorly cities like NYC and Boston paid, at least in my field (so I wouldn't assume salaries will always be lower here).
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #3800
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Projects exacerbate city traffic woes
Baltimore Business Journal - May 18, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

As a long-term fix, the city expects to spend about $212 billion on transportation projects. Those include possibly extending the proposed Red Line, an east-to-west rail line, into the area, expanding Boston Street to four lanes, adding a new MARC commuter rail stop at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and rebuilding Central Avenue.
Ahem.....

$212 BILLION

I would love to see a breakdown of where this dollar figure came from. Thats a lot of bacon....
cgunna no está en línea  

Closed Thread