daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3841
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I agree. Big weekend for Baltimore despite all those who will be heading down to OC.
sdeclue no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #3842
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

They are expecting 150,000 for the

Lacrosse games. 60K Sat, 30k Sunday(Division11) and 60k Monday(National Championship). Hope Baltimore can get the Final Four every year or every other year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Agreed. Downtown should be fun this weekend. Some tall ships are in town and the lacrosse games are too. Should be lots of people.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #3843
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Does anyone know if a decision has been made on the location of the Lacrosse Hall of Fame? As I recall there was a proposal to put it in Harbor Point, but the city had to cough up some $. I'd hate to see this go out of the Balt area. The harbor would be an idea site.

Maybe they will make the announcement during this weekend's NCAA playoffs.
This event is going to bring big bucks to the city, it's where it belongs permanently.
As of February, U.S. Lacrosse was planning on asking the state for $3.75 million in FY2008 and and the same in 2009. They'd raise the balance of the $25 million needed privately. Can't find any record of the '08 money being appropriated in the last session. Am going to the final Monday; will see if I can find out what's up. Their space situation is rather dire: as they've grown from roughly 4,000 members worldwide in 1990 to upwards of 200,000 today, their staff has grown commensurately, from 4 to 44. They're maxed out at their current location on University Parkway.

Finals are headed to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro in 2008; no decision has been made yet for '09 and beyond. Some talk of making Baltimore the permanent site, but Philly draws pretty good crowds, too.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #3844
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I can't find the article on the online version of the Sun, but the paper version today had a small mention of the new Mercy tower, which passed the first stage of approval yesterday. The article described the tower as 18 stories. It said the base of the tower would be made of brick and the tower portion would be made of brick, steel, and glass, I think. The entire project would cost $292 million.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #3845
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

After reading the Sunpaper article today it seems unlikely the NCAA will place the LAX championship in a permanent home,BUT Baltimore is likely to get the tourney on a regular basis. These events are great boosts to our tourist economy (and why I think a Larger NCAA regional Basketball sized arena should be built)
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3846
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Mercy tower sounds pretty impressive.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #3847
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Mercy tower sounds pretty impressive.

Do you have a link? details renderings?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #3848
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Mica dorms

I believe it is the mica dorms visible from the highway going into the city right by the police station. Sorry Im bad with highway titles. Anyway it has prgressed quite quickly and it looks to be near completion as far as the skeleton of th ebuilding goes. Should be a really nice addition downtown. I hope my internet comes back on soon.

still reading the boards though.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3849
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I believe it is the mica dorms visible from the highway going into the city right by the police station. Sorry Im bad with highway titles. Anyway it has prgressed quite quickly and it looks to be near completion as far as the skeleton of th ebuilding goes. Should be a really nice addition downtown. I hope my internet comes back on soon.

Yes, it's actually taller than I thought.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #3850
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
He may be going by the name of "Ajoutz". Their posts and location are similar. Scroll down to the "highway over the outer harbor" comment.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=476340&page=3

When you can't make a rational argument to defend a position, you simply make things up!
Actually, Bal-Wash is a very good friend of mine all since high school. As for the Outer Harbor comment, I was just saying that if the highway wasn't there, that would be a very prime area for development, its surrounded by water on two sides, just like Boston, and I dunno, I just thought that the Highway was a waste of a nice location.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #3851
PeterSmith

Some interesting news not related to development in the city of Baltimore that I came across in the world forums - Baltimore's sister city, Rotterdam is building a new tower that will be known as "Baltimore." It will be one tower in a larger development in which each tower will be named after a major new world port. Other towers will be called New Orleans, Havana, Philly, Chicago (Hamburg, Germany is also building a Chicago tower), Boston and, of course, Rotterdam itself. The Baltimore tower's height is unknown, but from the looks of the rendering it might be the tallest in the entire development. It's kind of disappointing that Rotterdam's Baltimore tower is taller and by a more famous architect (Foster) than just about anything built in our city. Oh well. Maybe we can return the favor one day with a supertall Rotterdam tower of our own. Anyway, here's a link to the thread dedicated to the entire development:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=477850
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3852
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Some interesting news not related to development in the city of Baltimore that I came across in the world forums - Baltimore's sister city, Rotterdam is building a new tower that will be known as "Baltimore." It will be one tower in a larger development in which each tower will be named after a major new world port. Other towers will be called New Orleans, Havana, Philly, Chicago (Hamburg, Germany is also building a Chicago tower), Boston and, of course, Rotterdam itself. The Baltimore tower's height is unknown, but from the looks of the rendering it might be the tallest in the entire development. It's kind of disappointing that Rotterdam's Baltimore tower is taller and by a more famous architect (Foster) than just about anything built in our city. Oh well. Maybe we can return the favor one day with a supertall Rotterdam tower of our own. Anyway, here's a link to the thread dedicated to the entire development:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=477850
That's very interesting. When I went to Rotterdam a while ago it reminded me a little bit of Baltimore, because much their development is based on the waterfront properties (I mean, this is true simply because both cities are major ports, but a lot of the developments along the lines of cosmopolitan buildings such as the Inner Harbor development). IMO it already has more than the necessary amount of surrounding buildings (the few-hundred footers) to make a 800-1000 ft building look nice. I can just imagine the drive in from DC, Raven's Stadium in the foreground, the Pratt Street and beyond buildings, and then a 1000 footer in the background. That would be pretty awesome.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #3853
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post

MICA is beginning to gel as a campus. For years they had disconnected buildings around Mt Royal, but with the work they have done, especially the Brown building, their campus is getting noticable. I'm not too fond of the renderings I have seen of the new dorm, but, I'm keeping my mind open. Definitely the best new building on North Avenue (also the only one?), it will definitely change the view as you speed down the JFX.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #3854
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I can't find the article on the online version of the Sun, but the paper version today had a small mention of the new Mercy tower, which passed the first stage of approval yesterday. The article described the tower as 18 stories. It said the base of the tower would be made of brick and the tower portion would be made of brick, steel, and glass, I think. The entire project would cost $292 million.
We ought to be grateful for Mercy. In the city's darkest days, they made a decision to stay and build when they could have easily fled to the burbs. One of their main admins, a quiet and somewhat shy nun used to be a regular guest at my wife's extended family occasions and I once asked her why they had stayed (she was part of the decision). She said that they just thought that it wouldn't be morally right to move and abandon their clients. They had hoped that the hospital would survive economically but had faith that it would all work out. It appears that it did. Too bad more institutions don't use the same logic.
scando no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #3855
PeterSmith

I don't think this has been posted before. This is a rendering of a 12 story building called Harbour's Edge that will be part of Canton Crossing. It is designed by WBCM Architects and Arium Architects, the same guys who did the 1st Mariner Tower, I think (as if that wasn't obvious by just looking at this building). According to the website I found this on, it is slated for a 2008 completion date. The site also stated that Canton Crossing currently has plans for three 28 story condo towers (although I'm pretty sure this site was created long before Ed Hale came public with his vision to triple the size of Canton Crossing.)

According to Canton Crossing's official website, this project will include 470,000 sq.ft. of office and retail space.
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #3856
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Looks like an airport hotel to me!
They should build the Icon @ Canton Crossing instead
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3857
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Go Jays! National Champs!
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #3858
CU_rak

Likes (Received): 3

Good for the Jays, I had hoped they would beat Duke (especially after they robbed the Big Red of its rightful place in the championship).

In other news, I saw this online ranking of "green" cities, which seems to think that Baltimore is doing a pretty darn good job. Though I am surprised to see that we scored so high on public transit and city commuting. Is it because of the buses? I have always thought that Baltimore public transit would be considered inadequate without an expansion of the subway.

Baltimore: A Port Town Reinventing Itself

Top 15 Cities 1. Portland, OR 2. San Francisco 3. Seattle 4. Chicago 5. Oakland 6. New York 7. Boston 8. Philadelphia 9. Denver 10. Minneapolis 11. Baltimore 12. Washington, DC 13. Sacramento 14. Austin 15. Honolulu

http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-r.../baltimore.jsp
CU_rak no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #3859
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_rak View Post
Good for the Jays, I had hoped they would beat Duke (especially after they robbed the Big Red of its rightful place in the championship).

In other news, I saw this online ranking of "green" cities, which seems to think that Baltimore is doing a pretty darn good job. Though I am surprised to see that we scored so high on public transit and city commuting. Is it because of the buses? I have always thought that Baltimore public transit would be considered inadequate without an expansion of the subway.

Baltimore: A Port Town Reinventing Itself

Top 15 Cities 1. Portland, OR 2. San Francisco 3. Seattle 4. Chicago 5. Oakland 6. New York 7. Boston 8. Philadelphia 9. Denver 10. Minneapolis 11. Baltimore 12. Washington, DC 13. Sacramento 14. Austin 15. Honolulu

http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-r.../baltimore.jsp
Hmm, some of the reasoning and individual rankings on certain topics seem dubious at best. I can see all these cities ranking in the top 15, but not necessarily in the order in which this company has ranked them. I live in Philly 8 months out of the year, and it certainly should not be ranked that high lol.
pennster no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #3860
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Baltimore expects handsome payoff from Vegas effort
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 28, 2007 6:14 PM
LAS VEGAS — Baltimore Deputy Mayor Andrew B. Frank said he expects a big payoff from the city’s efforts to promote itself during the retail industry’s premier convention in Las Vegas, where Baltimore officials met with nearly 50 businesses.

“We met with a couple of retailers that were on the fence, and we were able to provide them with some information that we believe will get them here,” said Frank, the city’s deputy mayor of neighborhood and economic development.

Frank declined to specify which retailers were “on the fence.” But last week in Las Vegas, Mayor Sheila Dixon said she had been in discussions with REI, an outdoor sporting store, and Target, which is already set to open one location near Mondawmin Mall in West Baltimore. Tiffany & Co., the upscale jewelry chain, met with Baltimore developer Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse at the convention.
Officials with REI and Tiffany declined to comment for this article. Officials with Target could not be reached for comment.

The city met with companies at a booth it set up at last week’s convention, which was organized by the International Council of Shopping Centers. The annual trade show drew nearly 50,000 attendees and hundreds of companies from across the country.

“This is a great opportunity to … put Baltimore on the map,” Dixon said. “It’s really showing the city and showing what we have available.”

Gov. Martin O’Malley was the first Baltimore mayor to attend the convention, a tradition he continued this year as governor. Dixon began attending the conference when she was president of the City Council.

The convention has become a must-attend for the retail industry, and having a presence there allows the city to present itself to many businesses unfamiliar with Baltimore, Frank said.

“We try to provide them with specific and objective information so that they can draw their own conclusions,” he said.

At the city’s booth, which consisted of a small lobby and meeting rooms behind that, visitors could find a report by the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. tracking city development and demographic data. They could also see maps of neighborhoods where the city is hoping to lure new investments. Oldtown, an area east of downtown, had a prominent display in the booth.

One of the city’s biggest problems has been convincing retailers about the economic health of specific neighborhoods, according to Frank.

“Retailers like to count rooftops,” he said.

But, Frank said, many retailers “count rooftops” by consulting federal census data, which is often outdated and does not give data for individual neighborhoods.

“In Baltimore we know that there is a huge gap between the census and the reality of development,” Frank said.

The city has conducted its own research that often paints a better economic picture of Baltimore. For example, in late 2005, the Downtown Partnership conducted a study that showed that more than 3,100 households within a one-mile radius of downtown earned more than $75,000 per year. That compares to the $29,792 listed as the city’s median household income in 2004 by the U.S. Census.
At the convention, city leaders get personal time with national companies to explain such disparities.

“We were able to show them … the developments that occurred that wouldn’t have been captured by the census and developments that were in the pipeline,” Frank said.

Dixon said she noticed a more positive perception of Baltimore from retailers in Las Vegas this year than at conventions past.

“Baltimore has become a real focus for many developers and real estate brokers,” she said.

O’Malley, too, noticed a difference at this year’s conference.

“When we first started coming out here, we had to work very hard to persuade,” the governor said, “but the city is now a hot place.”

O’Malley and Dixon view the interest from national retailers as a positive sign. But not everyone shares their opinion.

Benn Ray, owner of Atomic Books in the city’s Hampden neighborhood, said he thinks Baltimore officials spend too much time wooing chain stores and not enough time cultivating smaller companies.

“It would be interesting if instead of going to Las Vegas and looking to lure franchises … our city leaders could take that money, interest and time and use that to develop programs that encourage Baltimore-based businesses to grow and expand and develop,” Ray said.

City officials said they did not know how much they spent to go to the convention, but state officials said Maryland spent $180,000.

Ray is part of a group called Independent Hampden, which is lobbying to pass legislation that would prohibit chain retailers from opening locations on the neighborhood’s 36th Street.

“All these corporate chains do is just make Baltimore the same as every other city,” he said. “Does Baltimore want to be like every other city, or does Baltimore want to be like Baltimore?”
fanofterps no está en línea  

Closed Thread