daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #3901
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
Yes, it's actually taller than I thought.
I just drove down 83 today, the mica dorm is much bigger than I thought too. It really dominates your view as you get through the tangle of ramps at 28th street.

I also noticed that they are putting up the steel for the little pyramid on top of the water street tower.

Does anyone know what the 5 story building is that is being built next to 83 about a mile north of the northern parkway interchange on the east side?
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #3902
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
How LONG is this crime talk gonna go on??? I come on this board to be uplifted by the learning about NEW additions to the BUILT environment. This forum is about BUILDINGS. If you wanna talk about crime, take it somewhere else like Jamie said a couple of pages back.

For real guys...STOP.

At this rate it'll will NEVER END.

This is the DEVELOPMENT FORUM.
You posted three hours ago and Steven hasn't given you a warm welcome yet? Where has Steven gone?

No worries. Welcome to the forum, Bastian
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #3903
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
I just drove down 83 today, the mica dorm is much bigger than I thought too. It really dominates your view as you get through the tangle of ramps at 28th street.

I also noticed that they are putting up the steel for the little pyramid on top of the water street tower.

Does anyone know what the 5 story building is that is being built next to 83 about a mile north of the northern parkway interchange on the east side?
That is to be an office building being developed by the guy who bought the old Bare Hills Athletic Club and property (now managed by Merritt and called Bare Hills Merrit Athletic Club). He is a developer from Canton I believe and will be moving his operations to the new building. Not sure of his name.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3904
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

That 5 story is being built on top of Potts and Pans old rubble landfill. They buried literally hundreds of thousands of cobblestones there. The cobblestones were dug up from their projects around Baltimore.
On a similiar note, I almost cried when I saw the contractor for Lafayette Courts take a small mountain of vintage cobblestones and grind them onsite with a portable crusher into 2 " minus aggregate.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3905
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

i think the crime issue HAS to be addressed in order to discuss development at all. development is more than just building big tall buildings. its an ongoing discussion about how groups of people use space; how their needs are fulfilled and why to build at all. development is not just buildings, but more so about the development of society. its the personal development of individuals, neighborhoods, and businesses that drive the need for condos and office towers. the buildings are really just the manifestation of the needs brought on by the inter-personal development of the people.
quabex no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3906
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
i think the crime issue HAS to be addressed in order to discuss development at all. development is more than just building big tall buildings. its an ongoing discussion about how groups of people use space; how their needs are fulfilled and why to build at all. development is not just buildings, but more so about the development of society. its the personal development of individuals, neighborhoods, and businesses that drive the need for condos and office towers. the buildings are really just the manifestation of the needs brought on by the inter-personal development of the people.
Yeah I agree. Usually I dont like the side tracked rants either.. but I think crime and education are pretty relevant, especially with all the talks of the proposed buildings like 10IH and 300eastpratt being scaled back, and Naing Towers and Cordish Tower thrown to the back because of a smaller market demand right now.

Crime is a major factor as to whether someone is going to want to jump on the I <3 city life bandwagon.

Other than that I pretty much said all I wanted to say on the topic Anything else to talk about??
House3780 no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #3907
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Anyway it was in Baltimore, we saw a filled stadium (in the lower stands) and very enthusiastic fans. Unfortunately we didn't see much of the city. Usually the play-by-play guys praise the city; didn't hear much of that. Baltimore should be the permanent venue since, unlike the other places, all the activity is downtown. You don't have to travel from your hotel to the event, its all centrally located. The game, hotel, restaurants and bars are all accessible by foot.

Now cough up the bucks to put the Lacrosse Hall of Fame downtown. This should be a no brainer.
Baltimore is a great venue; probably the best. The problem with Baltimore is not a problem _in_ Baltimore; it's the New Jersey Turnpike. The return trip to New Hampshire after the 2004 final in Baltimore took 13 hours (it's usually about eight), most of it spent fighting holiday traffic on the NJTP. By contrast, heading back from Philly last year was a breeze, since we were on the 'Pike before most of vacation traffic. Bottom line is, there are a lot of fans in NE and NY who won't make the trip to Baltimore. Reportedly, 7000 tickets have already been sold for next year's championship weekend at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, and NE Patriots coach Bill Belichick (a friend of Hopkins coach Dave Pietramala) is going to help promote the event. Should be a lot of fun (and only a 2 hour drive).

Last edited by jamie_hunt; May 30th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #3908
jamie_hunt

P.S. Crime sucks everywhere. Meth and heroin have made vicious inroads in rural New Hampshire. Two cops have already been murdered this year, one in Manchester and a second recently in Franconia. No, it's not the same as Baltimore, but it's there.
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #3909
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i wonder what's going on with ksi's greektown development? how far are they into it?
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3910
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

The Zenith

After 5 years, Zenith apartments reaching market at the right time

JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 30, 2007 6:34 PM

After five years of planning, developers expect to open the Zenith apartment building on Baltimore’s West Side to residents by July.

Legacy Harrison Enterprises began marketing apartments in the 191-unit, luxury building two weeks ago. Chief Executive Officer Brian D. Morris declined to say how many units have been leased to date.

But he said there has been “very, very strong interest,” particularly from commuters who work in Washington. Located at the corner of Pratt and Paca streets, the Zenith stands just blocks from the MARC train’s Camden Station at the corner of Howard and Conway streets.

“We’ve had a very good response so far,” Morris said.

Development has come in fits and starts for the Zenith, a project that was announced in 2002. Baltimore City sold the half-acre parcel of land to Legacy Harrison for about $750,000 the following year. But rising construction costs and other issues stalled the project and raised its price tag to about $46 million, up from $34 million, Morris said.

The building comes on line at a time when other investments on the city’s West Side are finally beginning to bear fruit. Construction is underway just a block away from the Zenith on a 757-room Hilton hotel beside the Baltimore Convention Center that is set to open in the fall of 2008. The University of Maryland, Baltimore, is finishing the second of 10 research buildings in its BioPark on the 800 and 900 blocks of West Baltimore Street.

In January, the city finalized a land-sale agreement with developers planning to build a retail center called Lexington Square at the superblock, a long-stalled development bordered by Lexington, Liberty, Fayette and Howard streets.

“We’re very pleased with when we’re hitting the market,” Morris said. “We’re excited about being able to provide this level of quality of apartments to this side of town. We think it will be very well received by the University of Maryland … and some Hopkins folks.”

The upscale apartments, however, seem more likely to appeal to university faculty than students. Units range in price from $1,500 per month for an efficiency to $4,200 for a two-bedroom penthouse.

Nicole Wilderson, who oversees campus housing for University of Maryland, Baltimore, said the building could serve as a marketing tool for luring faculty and staff to the university and its hospital. The Zenith will also add positive street activity to the West Side, she said.

“It’s really important to our campus from a safety and security standpoint, to have more people around downtown,” Wilderson said. “We’re really excited about bringing more people downtown.”

Designed by Baltimore’s Marks, Thomas Architects, the 21-story, glass structure will also add a modern flair to a part of the city known for more traditional buildings, said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc.

“I think the architecture is excellent,” he said of the Zenith. “Along with the Hilton hotel, the Zenith will create an inviting gateway downtown from the [Baltimore-Washington] Parkway.”
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #3911
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

On my way to and from the Sowebo Festival around Hollins Market last Sunday, I noticed that two additional U of M buildings have started construction.

One of them is being built on Lombard Street in the block west of the new hospital (which is also UC).

The other is being constructed on Lexington Street where the old Haxel Awning company once stood. Its footprint is about a half block square.

While walking on Lexington, I noticed that SSA's Metro West Complex is really only about a block and a half away from the northern edge of the ever growing U of M campus. I read that the University has expressed interest in purchasing the complex when SSA vacates it. It should be a nice fit to what they have developed so far.

My friends and I stopped into one of the last open business North of Lexington Market - a bar named "The Club Buns" - don't ask (it was fun though)! The owner told us that the University now owns the entire block - except for his business. They just keep buying up real estate north of the campus, so if they do get control of SSA's Metro West complex, the University of Maryland will own just about everything east of MLK Blvd from US 40 south to Pratt Street.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM   #3912
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Baltimore is a great venue; probably the best. The problem with Baltimore is not a problem _in_ Baltimore; it's the New Jersey Turnpike. The return trip to New Hampshire after the 2004 final in Baltimore took 13 hours (it's usually about eight), most of it spent fighting holiday traffic on the NJTP. By contrast, heading back from Philly last year was a breeze, since we were on the 'Pike before most of vacation traffic. Bottom line is, there are a lot of fans in NE and NY who won't make the trip to Baltimore. Reportedly, 7000 tickets have already been sold for next year's championship weekend at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, and NE Patriots coach Bill Belichick (a friend of Hopkins coach Dave Pietramala) is going to help promote the event. Should be a lot of fun (and only a 2 hour drive).
How about taking AMTRAK from Boston? That's about an 8-hour trip. Beats sitting in traffic. I don't know what the airfare is, but that option takes about an hour.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM   #3913
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Zenith

Isn't there supposed to be a retail component to this project? There is no mention of that. Does anyone know if there are any signs up on the building referring to reatil?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:14 PM   #3914
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
[snip] if they do get control of SSA's Metro West complex, the University of Maryland will own just about everything east of MLK Blvd from US 40 south to Pratt Street.
Sounds about right. This map gives a good illustration of that. SSA (MetroWest) is top center. "Construction cams" can be found here.
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM   #3915
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Isn't there supposed to be a retail component to this project? There is no mention of that. Does anyone know if there are any signs up on the building referring to reatil?
The architect's Web site says there will be a restaurant with outdoor seating.
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM   #3916
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
That 5 story is being built on top of Potts and Pans old rubble landfill. They buried literally hundreds of thousands of cobblestones there. The cobblestones were dug up from their projects around Baltimore.
On a similiar note, I almost cried when I saw the contractor for Lafayette Courts take a small mountain of vintage cobblestones and grind them onsite with a portable crusher into 2 " minus aggregate.
Henry Lewis, LLC is doing that building. Its the same company that's doing the retail expansion at the Verizon building. They also did the new Marriott at Cal Sr.'s Yard in Aberdeen. That building is located about 100 yards from where I'm currently sitting. In fact, in two years my company is moving there.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3917
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
From day one its been a restaurant. I doubt that's changed. Esp. with the pending retail at the Convention Center Hilton. The retail components of the Hilton and the Zenith should help liven that area. Now, can we get a new, redesigned Marriott Inner Harbor with ground level retail? That building sucks.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3918
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Sounds about right. This map gives a good illustration of that. SSA (MetroWest) is top center. "Construction cams" can be found here.
Using the map, building 18 (The Campus Center) is the one UC on Lombard Street.

The other building is not on the map (which is a bit dated). That part of Lexington Street is split because the old market house that burned down was once in the middle of the street. The northern part of Lexington ends at the construction site. In short, the northwest corner of the new building will touch the southeast corner of building 8. The site is depicted on the map as a parking lot with 2 entrances.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3919
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Odd. Thought old street pavers were much sought after by landscapers.
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM   #3920
jamie_hunt

Quote:
How about taking AMTRAK from Boston [to the NCAA lacrosse finals in Baltimore]? That's about an 8-hour trip. Beats sitting in traffic. I don't know what the airfare is, but that option takes about an hour.
Absolutely, if I was going solo ... usually have 3-4 kids with their lax sticks plus tailgating krep. Logistics get a bit complicated.

Closed Thread