daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM   #3941
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

Excellent news on 10IH. Hope the guys at 300 Pratt have the same foresight.
k25150 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #3942
Fells28

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
glad to hear the good news. i never knew the the broadway market originally looked like this. Why did they take off the top of this building to begin with?
Fire.
Fells28 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3943
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
Turnpike doesn't stop Yankees fans from coming down.
True. Generally, the Turnpike is fine. I've driven from NH to Baltimore via the NJTP three times in the last month. Typically, the trip is seven and a half to eight hours. Memorial Day is a special case, though. Seems like every vacationer in the northeast converges on that 100-mile stretch of highway around 5 pm that day. Game ends around 3:30; on the highway by 4; home god knows when. This year, I took a vacation day and gave the kids a day off from school and drove home Tuesday.

Again, none of this is a slam against Baltimore, which is a fantastic venue. Every place has limiting factors that are beyond its control. When y'all come up for the NCAA men's lacrosse finals at Gillette Stadium next year, you'll be introduced to the special hell that is getting in and out of Foxboro, MA, on game day. Pack dinner.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM   #3944
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh - Hot Off The Press - From this week's BBJ

PLANNED SKYSCRAPER BOOSTS OFFICE SPACE AFTER HOUSING SLOWS

Baltimore Business Journal - June 1, 2007 by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The planned tower will be built on the former McCormick factory site.

The Philadelphia-based company developing the former McCormick spice factory in downtown Baltimore now hopes to carve out as much as 500,000 square feet of prime office space to land a signature corporate tenant in the proposed 59-story building at Light and Conway streets.

John Voneiff, director of southeast operations for ARC Wheeler LLC, said a softening in the residential market prompted his company to shave the planned residential units in the building to between 150 and 200, down from earlier plans for as many as 285 condominiums. He is now in talks with two major Baltimore-area companies, and has been contacted by a third considering becoming the building's signature tenant.
AWESOME!!! To Hell with the residential, Office is where it's at! This should solidify a high-quality architectural design that only an office building can demand.

Baltimore will only be taken seriously if it's seen as a place of employment, not some bedroom community.
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM   #3945
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Canton Crossing

Canton Crossing: Next Phase

Lessard Group has to be the best architectural firm putting out consistently good designs.

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM   #3946
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

Wow. Great find, Silver Springer. Those towers are faaaaantastic! I'm very excited about Canton Crossing now.

Also, if you go to the Lessard website and hit the Zoom button on the upper right hand corner of the picture, it'll zoom out and you can see the pedestal upon which the front two towers sit.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3947
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 823

Lessard designed 414 Water Street, the building Hugh and others here dislike!
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM   #3948
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

I like 414 Water St. It's a little bit unique. I bet 100 years from now preservations will be trying to preserve it as the last skyscraper built in Baltimore's "quirky era." It's not iconic, but in the long run, I bet it'll stand out more than when whatever we get for 10IH, 300EP, etc. are surpassed in height.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM   #3949
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Lessard designed 414 Water Street [snip]
Those renderings are a bit of a departure from the existing tower at Canton Crossing. Wonder if Ed Hale can pull this off ... if he does, and if he lives to be as old as Paterakis, he could have his own city-within-a-city in the triangle bounded by Boston on the north, Clinton on the west, and I-95. Freakin' amazing.
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3950
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I like 414 Water St. It's a little bit unique. I bet 100 years from now preservations will be trying to preserve it as the last skyscraper built in Baltimore's "quirky era." It's not iconic, but in the long run, I bet it'll stand out more than when whatever we get for 10IH, 300EP, etc. are surpassed in height.
Naw. It will be because I lived there! Moi - owner of the worlds largest collection of Baltimore architectural photos! (30,000 and counting)
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3951
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Wow. Great find, Silver Springer. Those towers are faaaaantastic! I'm very excited about Canton Crossing now.

Also, if you go to the Lessard website and hit the Zoom button on the upper right hand corner of the picture, it'll zoom out and you can see the pedestal upon which the front two towers sit.

yeah, great find SS. i've always thought that lessard's work (along with ksi) was highly underrated.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3952
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fells28 View Post
Fire.
Yes, my dad told me the same thing. There was a fire in 1898 or something like that.
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3953
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post

yeah, great find SS. i've always thought that lessard's work (along with ksi) was highly underrated.
This is a very nice tower, but I don't think I would want to live on that side of town. I'm exclusively looking for somewhere to look with a "city" feel to it. I don't get that "city" feel for Canton Crossing. About a week ago, someone posted a picture of a building named Harbour's Edge. It had a suburban look to it. So does this building.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3954
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Good news on 10 IH. That rendering for Canton Crossing is nice but looks too Bethesda for my liking. That would be nice in Columbia or Owings Mills.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM   #3955
jamie_hunt

Yeah, but think of the views from the west side of the 24th floor: Ft. McHenry and Canton below, vista stretching up the NW branch of the Patapsco toward the downtown skyline and beyond to the wooded expanse of Patapsco State Park. I'd take that even if the exterior were clad in discarded auto parts.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #3956
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

Wasn't that supposed to be a Midtown condo originally? I thought Midtown backed out and those towers weren't being built now.

Could be wrong tho.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM   #3957
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Couldn't remember if someone had posted these before of the RWN Development Group's planned (now on hold) condo towers.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #3958
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I think the Canton Crossing Condo towers

will go up 1 at a time. Hale may take a chance on 1 tower in the next year or two and see if they sell. 10 Inner Harbor looks like it has a great chance of happening if they land a office tennant. Free Parking and the view would likely attract a county business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
This is a very nice tower, but I don't think I would want to live on that side of town. I'm exclusively looking for somewhere to look with a "city" feel to it. I don't get that "city" feel for Canton Crossing. About a week ago, someone posted a picture of a building named Harbour's Edge. It had a suburban look to it. So does this building.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM   #3959
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

This is awesome news indeed!! With this mostly being an office building we may end up with a much taller tower than we anticipate. Perhaps close to 800ft! I'm really anxious to see some new rendering now.

Quote:
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh - Hot Off The Press - From this week's BBJ

PLANNED SKYSCRAPER BOOSTS OFFICE SPACE AFTER HOUSING SLOWS

Baltimore Business Journal - June 1, 2007 by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The planned tower will be built on the former McCormick factory site.

The Philadelphia-based company developing the former McCormick spice factory in downtown Baltimore now hopes to carve out as much as 500,000 square feet of prime office space to land a signature corporate tenant in the proposed 59-story building at Light and Conway streets.

John Voneiff, director of southeast operations for ARC Wheeler LLC, said a softening in the residential market prompted his company to shave the planned residential units in the building to between 150 and 200, down from earlier plans for as many as 285 condominiums. He is now in talks with two major Baltimore-area companies, and has been contacted by a third considering becoming the building's signature tenant.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #3960
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post

Couldn't remember if someone had posted these before of the RWN Development Group's planned (now on hold) condo towers.
I never seen these pics before. They look kinda cool. (Edit: I just looked at the RWN Development site and saw that these renderings are one of the proposed architectural designs. I guess this is the one they liked.)

...And what a good business move on behalf of ArcWheeler. They promised a dominant structure and is pulling at all costs to make it reality. Making the office component larger was something that skipped my mind. Mark my words, "1OIH will be Baltimore's signature tower."

Last edited by bmore87; June 2nd, 2007 at 02:43 AM.
bmore87 no está en línea  

Closed Thread