daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #21
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

As opposed to seeing empty lots downtown, I'm all about tearing down all the abandoned homes, even if its an entire block, and even if it were to remain an open grass field for years to come.
House3780 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
The McDonald's at Pulaski Highway and Highland Ave has apparently been demolished (at least it appeared to be from my night time view from the #22), if any body gives a hoot and hollar.

Wonder what garbage they'll put in it's place.

Nate

Also, the Mc D's on the corner of Baltimore and Light Street has been closed down due to unsanitary conditions. Apparently they have been closed down a few times before for the same reason. This could be good for One Light Street....hopefully.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #23
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Won't do much for 1 light, as I think that property has to be preserved, anyway. I doubt it will remain a McDonalds when integrated into the project, however. Betcha it'll become a Starbucks

Weren't we supposed to get some news on 1 Light?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #24
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Yeah. But I haven't heard anything. Just one more missed deadline in the tragic history of that property.

Also, when are we supposed to hear anything new on the Pratt St. redevelopment?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #25
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Wada, that thread was salt in the wounds.. It was so much fun until the actual game fell apart.. But look at that civic pride. look at all those people. Can't want until next year now.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #26
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Cheer up! The Orioles are going to the World Series this year. I can feel it in my bones - or is it just my arthritis?
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #27
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

There is a lot of money in this town! If you read the article about the Ritz, it states that the vast majority of sales have been to local people much to the developer's surprise.

And now this!

City museum receives $10 million gift
Local philanthropist known for modesty, generosity donates funds
By Mary Carole McCauley and Glenn McNatt
Sun reporters
Originally published January 17, 2007

The Baltimore Museum of Art has been promised $10 million from a local philanthropist - the largest cash gift made by one person in the institution's 92-year history. Dorothy McIlvain Scott's donation comes amid a spate of presents from various benefactors to Baltimore cultural groups.

Scott, 94, is known in the arts community as much for her modesty as for her generosity. Her bequest will allow the museum to expand its American collection of furniture and decorative arts into the present day. "Our American collection focuses on the 18th and early 19th centuries. This will allow us to broaden our collection chronologically, into the 20th-century decorative arts," said Doreen Bolger, the museum's director. "The present becomes a lens to look at the past. It will become much more exciting for people because it will be more relevant to their current situations."

Over the decades, Scott has given to the museum nearly 200 pieces of Americana, including an 18th-century vanity with long legs as slender and delicate as those of a racehorse. Her newest gift will allow these artifacts to be removed from their current exhibition space in the basement to galleries on the first floor. The American collection will be housed in the newly renamed Dorothy McIlvain Scott Wing, just inside the museum's historic entrance.

Scott's pledge is the most recent in a series of million-dollar gifts to Baltimore charitable organizations from such diverse sources as the Joseph and Harvey Meyerhoff Family Charitable Funds, philanthropist Suzanne F. Cohen, actress Jada Pinkett Smith and the couple who anonymously donated $1 million to the Baltimore Shakespeare Festival. Stiles T. Colwill, president of the BMA's board of directors, notes that the $10 million pledge furthers a tradition of giving at the museum.

Many collections
"With this exceptional gift, Miss Scott joins the legendary cadre of great women philanthropists - Claribel and Etta Cone, Mary Frick Jacobs and Saidie A. May - each of whom have donated outstanding collections and have had gallery wings named after them," he says.

Indeed, the BMA is sometimes called a "collection of collections." The museum is internationally renowned for the Cone Collection of post-impressionist and modern paintings and sculptures, particularly its holdings by Henri Matisse. In 2002, the 3,000 artworks in that single collection were valued at nearly $1 billion.

The Jacobs group consists of European masterpieces from the 15th through 19th centuries, while May's artworks include many works by surrealist artists.

Colwill, an interior designer and antiques expert, adds that he was "ecstatic" when six months of negotiations with Scott, his longtime friend, recently were finalized. "The board chairman of any museum in America would want to turn a triple somersault upon receiving a gift like this," he says.

Bolger thinks that Scott's pledge might be the largest cash gift ever given by an individual to a Baltimore arts organization in one lump sum.

In 1982, Joseph Meyerhoff donated $10 million of the $23 million it would cost to build a new symphony hall. But that extraordinary gift was spread over a period of years.

In addition to Scott's current gift, she has donated millions of dollars to, and has served on the boards of, a slew of charitable organizations from Union Memorial Hospital to the Walters Art Museum to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.

But Scott always has been extremely reluctant to take credit for her works. For instance, she declined to be interviewed for this article or to have her photograph published.

"I live a very private life," she told John Dorsey, The Sun's former art critic, in 1992. "I was raised that way, and it's difficult for me to change. I don't want ever for people to think that I'm above them or showing off or putting on airs. I just want the museum to have, and not a whole lot about myself."

Contemporaries
According to Colwill and to Scott's attorney, Jeff Gonya, Scott was born in 1912 - two years before the BMA was founded. "She's virtually the same age as the museum," Bolger says. "She came here often with her parents as a young girl."

A story that Scott likes to tell is of one of these early visits. After mounting the BMA's broad sweep of marble steps, she came face to face with Auguste Rodin's behemoth bronze, the Thinker, which at the time was displayed outdoors. The child was thunderstruck. "Who's that man?" she asked her mother.

That experience began a mutually beneficial relationship between the museum and patron that has lasted for more than eight decades. Bolger thinks the recent spate of gift-giving to arts groups similarly "reflects the culmination of long relationships between donors and institutions."

She notes that the Meyerhoff family has been associated with the symphony for generations. Pinkett Smith honed her craft at the Baltimore School for the Arts, which is slated to receive $1 million from the performer.

People who donate large sums also receive tax breaks. But Rebecca Hoffberger, director and founder of the American Visionary Art Museum, thinks that tax considerations are secondary to the pleasure that donors receive from giving. "It's about being able to take your life's passions and translating it into benefit for future generations," she says.

Domino effect
It's also well known to development officials that a large gift tends to have a domino effect that results in other gifts - which might account, in part, for the current flurry of charitable announcements.

"People stepping forward and making a gesture for the public good raise the bar," says Gary Vikan, director of the Walters Art Museum. "They invite others to do the same." The $10 million from Scott will be used for the American wing's endowment, for general operations and for artistic programs. The wing will be formally renamed and dedicated at the BMA's annual meeting in June.
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #28
drewbwhite

Likes (Received): 2

Saw this on the City Paper website:

LEBANESE TAVERNA
Now Hiring

Lebanese Taverna is seeking experienced, highly motivated, service oriented team players for its newest restaurant in Baltimore (Harbor East - Corner of S. President Street and Lancaster Street), scheduled to open in February 2007.
drewbwhite no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #29
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

The Ritz under construction:

Jack J. Cayre of Midtown Equities overlooks construction of the Ritz-Carlton, where two mid-rise buildings will open in the fall.
(Sun photo by Amy Davis)
Jan 16, 2007

• Ritz-y living in demand
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #30
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I was looking at Struever's brochure for Harbor Point online ( http://www.sber.com/downloads/HEHP_Leasing_Brochure.pdf ). It might be outdated, but on the map it includes a project titled "The Market." I don't know why, but that name intrigued me. Anybody know what it is?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #31
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Won't do much for 1 light, as I think that property has to be preserved, anyway. I doubt it will remain a McDonalds when integrated into the project, however. Betcha it'll become a Starbucks

Weren't we supposed to get some news on 1 Light?
Nope, the Thomas building doesn't have to be preserved. The original J.J. Clark One Light St completely filled Baltimore St.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #32
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I was looking at Struever's brochure for Harbor Point online ( http://www.sber.com/downloads/HEHP_Leasing_Brochure.pdf ). It might be outdated, but on the map it includes a project titled "The Market." I don't know why, but that name intrigued me. Anybody know what it is?
Not sure, Peter. But it does sound very interesting.
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #33
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Nate, any word on Druid Hill Park?

Also, I'm going to the Dixon inaugural tomorrow. We'll see what she says... I'm not as pessimistic as I once was about her positon as mayor. If Dixon, the Police Commissioner, and the States Attorney are all on the same page, things will go fine.

Anyone else showing up at the War Memorial Building?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #34
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Nate, any word on Druid Hill Park?

Also, I'm going to the Dixon inaugural tomorrow. We'll see what she says... I'm not as pessimistic as I once was about her positon as mayor. If Dixon, the Police Commissioner, and the States Attorney are all on the same page, things will go fine.

Anyone else showing up at the War Memorial Building?
I went to O'Malley's inaugural yesterday to support him and I will do the same for Dixon later today. I like the fact that she has a great relationship with the business community, which means no quick screw ups with developers. Every event having to do with economic development that O'Malley attended, she was at his side. Also, I'm attending because she is making history by becoming Baltimore's first female mayor. But,when the primary comes in September I think I may support Keiffer Mitchell. I just see continued economic progress under his administration. My mind can change depending on how Dixon leads the city in the next couple of months though.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #35
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Don't know about The Market, but I suspect it will be a shopping mall and not a food market since there is currently a Whole Foods in the project.

What intrigues me are the 3 pier buildings (The Wharf, Thames Pier, and Wills Pier). On page 16 the renderings clearly show water between them. Since the area is currently land, that means they would have to excavate between the buildings and fill the canals with water.

I thought that they were precluded from doing this due to the chromium contamination. I thought that during the remediation process they drove a steel bulkhead down to bedrock around the entire site to stop the seepage of chrome into the harbor and land side water table.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #36
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

I am guessing that is an old rendering. the schematic site plan shows the buildings inland as their permit application for putting buildings on piers was not approved.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #37
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Nope, the Thomas building doesn't have to be preserved. The original J.J. Clark One Light St completely filled Baltimore St.

Nate

You know what...you're right. And I recall one of the reasons the original plan fell through was because they needed a larger footprint and the McD's was hindering that.
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #38
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Yeah. But I haven't heard anything. Just one more missed deadline in the tragic history of that property.

Also, when are we supposed to hear anything new on the Pratt St. redevelopment?
Pratt Street concepts are being submitted in February to the BDC. there are public presentations scheduled at the end of the month afterwards.

we've been working on a variety of alternatives....should be interesting to see how the corridor is addressed by all of the teams!
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #39
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
Don't know about The Market, but I suspect it will be a shopping mall and not a food market since there is currently a Whole Foods in the project.

What intrigues me are the 3 pier buildings (The Wharf, Thames Pier, and Wills Pier). On page 16 the renderings clearly show water between them. Since the area is currently land, that means they would have to excavate between the buildings and fill the canals with water.

I thought that they were precluded from doing this due to the chromium contamination. I thought that during the remediation process they drove a steel bulkhead down to bedrock around the entire site to stop the seepage of chrome into the harbor and land side water table.
The image is misleading. On page 16 (pagination for me was page 15) the buildings are rendered as buildings on newly constructed piers. On page 9, where the Harbor Point plan is rendered, the wharf buildings aren't rendered as pier structures. Compare the two images and use the Frederick-Douglas Museum as a reference point.

I guess the new structures could be built on piers, and still preserve the HAZMAT cap. Or to paraphrase what Struever said he wanted for the site, "maximize the unique historical edge in Fells Point where land meets water." The pier option should be preferred: it's very poetic.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #40
rxsoccer

my memory is the same as jeffbaltiomore's on this one. The whole pier concept got nixed and in order to keep the project moving forward they decided to pull those buildings back onto the land.
I believe the problem with the piers was revealed during some sort of naval or aquatic type study that said it wouldn't be structurally sound to build those piers without significant work/redesign, so the whole concept got scrapped.
rxsoccer no está en línea  

Closed Thread