daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM   #381
Xander21
B-More Believer
 
Xander21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canton
Posts: 215
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandman View Post
Quick ? ...what do they call the area where Ed Hales 1st mariner monument...I mean, skyscraper is? I know it sits outside of Canton/Brewers Hill near Greektown. Does the city have any plans of creating another skyline on that side of town?
That area is called Canton Crossing.
__________________
"I like Baltimore - despite its slicked-up touristy waterfront it remains a seedy old port city, reformable only to a negligible degree."
-- Larry McMurtry
Xander21 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:37 PM   #382
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 5,463
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
...Has anyone heard any more news on a possible expansion of the Beltway? I remember hearing something about that.
Now and again I hear of incremental improvements to the beltway, like better ramps, extra lanes in a few areas that are not currently built out and replaced bridges but from what I was told by a SHA engineer, there are no plans for any major system wide widening. That's why they are putting up walls in some areas... whatever's inside the wall is as big as it will get. Apparently, once the current round of completions, ramps and bridges is done, the capacity of the highway will exceed the capacity of the roads and ramps that get vehicles on and off the highway. It makes you wonder where we go after that.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #383
Maudibjr
Indeed
 
Maudibjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,265
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Wow!..Thats awesome...I had no idea that we were in the same area. Quabex, that means I just drove by your office coming from lunch at Bertucci's on York Rd. Yeah commuting to work on the beltway is a breeze....NOTT!!!..lol. Has anyone heard any more news on a possible expansion of the Beltway? I remember hearing something about that.
As you can see on your beltway drive, over the last several years MDOT has been replacing all of the overpasses over 695 in the towson area. By making the bridges longer and removing the side supports with the new bridges, they are creating room for a reletively easy expansion of the beltway to 4 lanes through that area. I beleive that they are scheduled to replace the Charles St. brdge starting this year.

However when that expansion to 4 lanes will occur still has not been decided. Reconstructing the 83 interchange will be a major project.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:43 PM   #384
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 5,463
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandman View Post
Quick ? ...what do they call the area where Ed Hales 1st mariner monument...I mean, skyscraper is? I know it sits outside of Canton/Brewers Hill near Greektown. Does the city have any plans of creating another skyline on that side of town?
Renderings or Canton Crossing have been shown that have several more somewhat tall buidings behind the First Mariner building along with more townhouses, parking and low commercial buildings. As I see it, the whole devepment has a suburban look to it that is certainly better than the empty oil tanks that were there before, nothing spectacular.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:43 PM   #385
rxsoccer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 122
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandman View Post
Quick ? ...what do they call the area where Ed Hales 1st mariner monument...I mean, skyscraper is? I know it sits outside of Canton/Brewers Hill near Greektown. Does the city have any plans of creating another skyline on that side of town?

someone may have a more complete answer than me, but you said "quick", so here's what I know. Ed Hale's plans include creating another center of town, if you will, over in canton so Canton becomes its own destination. He's even gone as far as to copywrite (or trademark, whatever the legal term is) Canton, USA so he can market it. I believe he said he wanted to create an inner-harbor like destination but more upscale.
For those that know better, feel free to correct my mistakes or elaborate on my half-truths! But thats the gist of it.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #386
Maudibjr
Indeed
 
Maudibjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,265
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandman View Post
Quick ? ...what do they call the area where Ed Hales 1st mariner monument...I mean, skyscraper is? I know it sits outside of Canton/Brewers Hill near Greektown. Does the city have any plans of creating another skyline on that side of town?
Hale calls it Canton Crossing, I'm not sure if there is a specific neighbor hood name for the area, it was mostly industrial so it may not have had an historical name.

Hale has plans to build anouther office and several condo towers. There is also a development in greektown reletively nearby for some mid-rise condos.


ohh..see that this has already been covered.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM   #387
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Now and again I hear of incremental improvements to the beltway, like better ramps, extra lanes in a few areas that are not currently built out and replaced bridges but from what I was told by a SHA engineer, there are no plans for any major system wide widening. That's why they are putting up walls in some areas... whatever's inside the wall is as big as it will get. Apparently, once the current round of completions, ramps and bridges is done, the capacity of the highway will exceed the capacity of the roads and ramps that get vehicles on and off the highway. It makes you wonder where we go after that.
My understanding is that the Beltway will be expanded to 4 lanes between Towson and I-95 and that would be about it for capacity capital improvments.

The I-95 widening is another mishap of monumental proportions, though.....

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM   #388
quabex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: baltimore, b-more, be more!
Posts: 367
Likes (Received): 49

there was once the plan to build an "outer beltway". it would circle the city like the current one, but it would be further out in the 'burbs. part of it is built and stands as route 100 from ellicott city to glen burnie. the plan has since been scrapped.
quabex no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM   #389
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

^thank god.....

What a waste of money.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM   #390
Balmurfan
Registered User
 
Balmurfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,077
Likes (Received): 308

Legg Mason staying or leaving?

Legg Mason Inc. is considering moving its company headquarters outside of Baltimore, according to business leaders who fear such a step would deal a significant blow to the city.

The financial firm denies that it is planning to leave Baltimore. But Legg Mason raised fears this week when it amended language in its bylaws that required company headquarters to be located in Baltimore. The change allows Legg to base its headquarters anywhere “the board of directors may designate,” according to a regulatory filing Monday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

“We have no plans to move our headquarters outside of Baltimore,” said Mary Athridge, a spokeswoman for Legg Mason. “We filed a number of changes in bylaws that were sort of designed to streamline the process.”

But J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc., said the company has told city officials that it is weighing a move.

“My understanding is that they are looking at all options, which would include staying in their current building, moving within the city or perhaps outside the city,” said Fowler, whose group advocates for development in downtown Baltimore.

Located in a 35-story building at 100 Light St., Legg Mason has been a trophy business for Baltimore since 1974, when the company formed from the merger of Legg & Co. and Raymond A. “Chip” Mason’s firm, Mason & Co.

Legg Mason employs 1,250 people in the city, according to October statistics from the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development. In late 2005, the company completed a $3.7 billion acquisition of Citigroup Inc.’s investment arm.

Mark Deering, a broker in the Baltimore office of MacKenzie Commercial Real Estate Services LLC, said Legg Mason’s departure from Baltimore has always been “the fear.”

“Legg Mason is one of Baltimore’s premier businesses, and for them to leave the city would be a real blow,” Deering said.

City office space is generally more expensive and has less floor space than its suburban counterparts. Those issues, plus a lack of parking, caused the city to hemorrhage companies to the suburbs during the 1990s. A decade ago, the downtown partnership went so far as to declare a downtown “parking crisis.”

But Baltimore is much different now than it was during the 1990s, Fowler said. The city has experienced a renaissance, with an influx of new residents and retailers downtown.

“The dynamism, the excitement of downtown is attractive to employees, particularly younger employees,” Fowler said. “I think Legg Mason is still very much interested in Baltimore City.”

In 2004, another important financial firm was threatening to leave Baltimore. But T. Rowe Price ultimately stayed, citing as a reason “the proximity to downtown amenities for the firm’s associates and clients.”

Fowler said he suspects Legg Mason will make the same decision.

Jeffrey Ptak, an equity analyst with Morningstar Inc., said the change in Legg Mason’s bylaws is difficult to interpret but does not seem to bode well for Baltimore.

“I wouldn’t think you would go through the trouble of changing your bylaws if you didn’t have an eye on considering your options some years hence,” Ptak said. “It doesn’t mean they’re going to leave tomorrow … but I would think that there is a specific reason that informs this."
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM   #391
Balmurfan
Registered User
 
Balmurfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,077
Likes (Received): 308

I would guess Legg Mason is the "large"company the BDC is talking about during it's board meeting.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM   #392
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

Parking is Power.
Parking Dictates.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM   #393
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

From the O'Malley admins budget submissions to the legislature. Info produced by MDOT. Don't know if this is fiscal or calendar year 2005:

Efficiency: Operating Cost per passenger-mile

Core Bus: $0.79
Metro: $0.55
Light Rail: $1.26
Mobility and Taxi Access: $4.88
MARC: $0.33
Contracted Commuter Bus:$0.35

Hmm.......................

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:23 AM   #394
harlem87
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 347
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post

there was once the plan to build an "outer beltway". it would circle the city like the current one, but it would be further out in the 'burbs. part of it is built and stands as route 100 from ellicott city to glen burnie. the plan has since been scrapped.

^thank god.....

What a waste of money.

Nate
Of course its a waste of money since it will help bring more business and economic growth into Maryiand in which you people don't want.

Virginia can build two Beltways in Richmond, widen I-66, I-95, I-395, I-495 to 16 lanes, Build 3 Northern Virginia Bypasses as multi-lane Freeways, Build two new $Billion Bridges between Hampton and Norfolk/Newport News, Build a toll road Throughway between Northern Virginia and the Hampton Roads area, and Extend Interstate Highways(such as I-85) throughout the state of Virginia and YOU PEOPLE Will Support it.

That "Building Highways in Maryland is wrong and building more Mass Transit is the best resultion to traffic", is Total Bull Shit that is way beyond tired. All you have to do is go to Northern Virginia and that alone will tell you what is wrong with Maryland.

Even New Jersey got it right; not only that they have Mass Transit statewide but they also have a great network of well planned/built Highways.

I've said before and I'll say again that ANYBODY that talks Negative about building Highways and Displays their negative views about Business/Economic/Revenue Growth in Maryland has Definately Reveled their truen of Hatred against the state of Maryland.
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #395
BalWash
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Posts: 883
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Even New Jersey got it right; not only that they have Mass Transit statewide but they also have a great network of well planned/built Highways.
Anyone who thinks New Jersey's highways are well built has never been on the Garden State Parkway. Even the Turnpike is shitty.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM   #396
BigBalto1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 114
Likes (Received): 0

Design Collective has a new website
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:26 AM   #397
baltimoreisbest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 69

I'd say there's two options for Legg Mason.

a. Move company operations to a remote campus in Owings Mills, and relocate official headquarters to NY.
b. Wait for the city to bow (again) and build a parking garage on Charles & Lombard, while providing a package of economic (i.e., tax, and building improvement) incentives.

I'd say that there's a 25% likelihood (a) might happen; 75% for (b). I'd be curious to hear what Eerik, Nate, and others think.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #398
baltimoreisbest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 69

Oh, and I personally wouldn't be too worried. Suburban NJ tried to woo away Philly's Cigna, offering cheaper office space and better parking options. Cigna decided that relocation costs and possible employee turnover would outweigh any benefits of relocation. T. Rowe Price gave an even more compelling reason: the city helps attract young emplyees. Legg Mason is surrounded by a number of financial services firms in its building; 100 Light and 100 E. Pratt are the economic "hubs" of the city. Companies that work in related industries tend to cluster together.

The Charter thing disturbs me, though.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:51 AM   #399
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
I'd say there's two options for Legg Mason.

a. Move company operations to a remote campus in Owings Mills, and relocate official headquarters to NY.
b. Wait for the city to bow (again) and build a parking garage on Charles & Lombard, while providing a package of economic (i.e., tax, and building improvement) incentives.

I'd say that there's a 25% likelihood (a) might happen; 75% for (b). I'd be curious to hear what Eerik, Nate, and others think.
You know financial companies far better than I; and there are simply too many variables we're not privy to. I can't really see parking as the reason at this point. Back in the late 90s: yes. Now. If they want to leave, other factors are at work. I went on a long diatribe on the EnvisionBaltimore Listserve about this months ago.

The increase in downtown living options reduces parking demands, the gentrification of nearby neighborhoods reduces long distance vehicle commutes, the threshold has been reached to make downtown services better and more abundant than years ago. These subjective pluses outweigh perceived negatives of parking. Even still, they can move to a different downtown location with more parking per square foot, like Market Place area or IHE or Allied.

That's all I feel qualified to speak on, but greater corporate forces would seem to be an impetus to move, not parking, IMO.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:35 AM   #400
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Baltimore/Columbia, Md.
Posts: 2,257
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalto1 View Post
Design Collective has a new website
yeah, i saw that!!

hey everyone, there's a rendering of 300 EAST PRATT STREET on this new site!!!!!!! go under: 1)portfolio, 2)architecture, 3)urban development, and then 4)waterfront and you'll see it. here's the link..........


http://www.designcollective.com/

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; February 2nd, 2007 at 01:25 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu