daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #4041
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
The article did not specify a start date.
According to the e-mail I received from John Voneiff of Arc yesterday, the project is expected to start construction in 12-14 months, and it is expected to take 3 years to construct. So, we're looking at a summer of 2011 completion date.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #4042
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

thanks wada, I just remember seeing those renderings and being impressed. The condos actually look even better than the renderings though, I wonder if the view is?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #4043
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post

was looking through the Baltimore Development News archives, and was wondering what came of this project and what was it?
Courtyard view, 1209 N. Charles in Mt. Vernon ... almost finished.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #4044
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Good news on 10 IH. They definitely are sticking to their plans. I just wish construction wasn't still a year and a half away.

As far as the RWN towers, are you telling me there will actually be FOUR towers when all is said and done? That would be incredible!!!
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4045
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
As far as the RWN towers, are you telling me there will actually be FOUR towers when all is said and done? That would be incredible!!!
Would love to see it, but hesitate to read anything into those illustrations. The garage he presented to the city a couple weeks ago was only large enough to hold one tower, and the Terminal Warehouse was conspicously present.

His development portfolio has a number of fine projects, but he's punching well above his weight with these towers.
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #4046
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Thanks Jaime

I will also remain optomistic about the towers. However, just becuase one of the towers contains another tower alongside it, does not mean the other will. Anyword on when somewhat official news will come out on any of the information?
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #4047
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Pratt St Retail

I was strolling downtown the other day and noticed the retail renovation in the Verizon Building(Pratt and Light) is moving along nicely. Anyone heard what tenants might be there? It looks like a nice improvement to what was a typical 70s/80/s post riots fortress street facade that is so common in buildings of that era. That is such a busy corner and it will be nice to see some life there.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #4048
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
I was strolling downtown the other day and noticed the retail renovation in the Verizon Building(Pratt and Light) is moving along nicely. Anyone heard what tenants might be there? It looks like a nice improvement to what was a typical 70s/80/s post riots fortress street facade that is so common in buildings of that era. That is such a busy corner and it will be nice to see some life there.
I contacted one of my contacts at Henry Lewis, LLC. This post just reminded me I never got a response. I'll light a fire.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #4049
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Playing Hooky!

I took the day off. So I decided to walk around town and take some photo updates.

Imagine how different this will look in a few years. 4 Seasons and Legg Mason will block this unflatering view of the Marriott.

Did someone ask for an update on Silo Point?

A few have mentioned how the Ritz is encroaching on views of the water from Federal Hill.

Another view that will be radically different in a few years.

I'm liken the eden!

Now that the windows and railings are in, the brick on the Vue is not nearly as hideous as it first looked to me.

WTF?

The Ritz from across the harbor.

Harbor Point is a regular beehive of activity

On the other hand, the 4 Seasons site is buzzing.

You know, this development looks pretty good.

Union Box Co. spent a fortune getting Union Wharf ready for construction. Does anybody know when they will build the buildings??

They reall are moving on the Fells Point construction!

Center Plaza... almost there.

The renovation of the old BGE building looks great. I never noticed all of the architetural detail before.

Construction on the new abulatory care facility. I'm really glad to see that parking lot on Pratt go!

Hilton and the Zenith!

And finally, I drove by the new MICA dorm.
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #4050
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

excellent shots, huck!!!!

1) the exterior of silo point really seems to be coming along well.

2) i agree with you about the black olive inn. i've been wondering for the longest time what the deal was with that project.

3) it's good to see the 4 seasons site being worked on.

4) the union wharf project has gotta' be the slowest progressing project i've EVER seen in the history of all the buildings that have gone up in baltimore......lol.

5) glad to see the fells point project moving at such a rapid pace.

6) center plaza's really going to look magnificent when it is done.

7) glad to see "real" work finally begin on the new abulatory care facility. it would be nice to finally see a rendering of it.

8) glad to see that the hilton convention center hotel is up to floor 9. i'm starting to have a really good feeling about this building.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #4051
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Excellent photos, got just what I was looking for. More actually, thanks alot!
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #4052
BigBalto1

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.arcwheeler.com/projects/baltimore.php

http://www.grandrotunda.com/tour.html
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #4053
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

great photos. you really covered some ground!
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #4054
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

great photos, indeed.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4055
jeremai
Grade I Listed

Likes (Received): 122

Thanks Huck for your fantastic update; exactly what one needs to see, having been gone for 9 months!
jeremai no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #4056
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Very nice photographs Huck. Do your feet hurt today or did you drive that circuit?

I noticed that one of the Ritz Cranes flew south last week.

The next preservation fight. I vote it become an annex of the Baltimore Museum of Art OR some other museum. Put the Modern Art collection in there.

Masons looking to sell their stone temple
Architecture: Edward Gunts, Apr 25, 2007, Originally published Jun 4, 2007

Scottish Rite Temple
(Sun photo by Amy Davis)

When it opened in 1933, the Scottish Rite Temple of Freemasonry featured a banquet hall that could accommodate 665 people for dinner and dancing. Its bronze front doors were 28 feet high and weighed 3 tons each. Later came a 1,065-seat auditorium with one of the largest stages between New York and Washington.

But after nearly 75 years, the charitable foundation that owns the building at Charles and 39th streets wants to sell it and move to smaller quarters in Baltimore County.

A representative of the Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation, the owner, recently confirmed at a Tuscany-Canterbury Neighborhood Association meeting that his group is starting to look for a buyer for the property -- 2 1/2 acres in all.

"I won't deny ... that we are considering selling it," said Marlin Mills, assistant personal representative to the Masonic order's sovereign grand inspector general. But "we don't have any contracts on it. We are going to be very particular about who we sell it to."

The group decided to sell the building largely because membership has dropped as upkeep costs have risen, Mills said.

"Our membership has declined from ... 10,000 in the 1930s to 4,000 today. It costs $17,000 a month to maintain the building. So you can see, with declining membership, its hard to maintain."

Mills said at the community meeting that he couldn't state an asking price. "We've only had a few people look at it, so we don't really know. We've been told that the land is worth more than the building."

He said after the meeting that the group has identified property in Hunt Valley where it wants to move and that the replacement building is expected to cost $3 million to $5 million. The group expects construction to be funded largely by the sale of the Charles Street property, he added.

The decision makes the Scottish Rite Temple the last of three large Masonic temples in Baltimore to be sold or put up for sale in the past 12 years. In 1996, Loyola College purchased the Boumi Temple at Charles Street and Wyndhurst Avenue for $7.5 million and replaced it with a recreational facility. In 1998, the William C. Smith Co. bought the Maryland Masonic Temple at 221-227 N. Charles St. for $500,000 and preserved it as a conference and banquet facility linked to its Tremont Plaza hotel.

The possible sale of the Scottish Rite Temple has alarmed some local preservationists and Tuscany-Canterbury residents, who worry that the building could be torn down for a condo tower because it's not protected by local landmark designation. It is part of a federal historic district, but that in itself does not protect a building from demolition.

"We live in the St. James [tower], and we look at that building every day," said Renee Parker, who attended the meeting with her husband, Arnold. "We would be desolate without it. It's just such a balm for the eye."

It's "one of the icons of Baltimore ... a silent sentinel on Charles Street," said architect Walter Schamu, who addressed the neighborhood group about the building. "It would be a great loss for Baltimore and a great loss for the United States to lose that building."

Distinguished by a large front portico and stone walls that evoke a Greek temple, the building was designed by Clyde N. Friz and Charles Friz, with John Russell Pope as a "consulting architect." Pope also designed the Baltimore Museum of Art and University Baptist Church in Baltimore.

The building also has a fully equipped kitchen, a large lounge that doubles as a library and conference room, staff offices and ceremonial spaces. Materials include travertine walls and terrazzo floors. Much of the top floor is unfinished.

The Freemasons use the temple for their own meetings and rent it out for weddings, concerts and other events. Part of the space is occupied by the Scottish Rite Speech and Language Center, a treatment facility for children that is the group's principal charity; it will move with them to Baltimore County.

One difficulty in identifying a buyer is that there aren't many groups seeking properties like it. The building has thick walls and relatively few windows, and only part of it is air conditioned. With some modification, it could be an archives, theater, church, catering facility or museum, among other uses.

The nearby Johns Hopkins University has been contacted about the building but has no interest, said Hopkins spokesman Dennis O'Shea. "We would certainly meet with them as a courtesy and listen to what they have to say. But it's not part of our strategic corridors of interest around the campus."

The Freemasons aren't in a rush to sell, Mills said. "We aren't broke. We aren't having a fire sale. We're just exploring our options right now."

Talking to the Tuscany-Canterbury residents, Schamu said, "You have a gem in your neighborhood. The question is: How do you reuse it?"

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 5th, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #4057
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Baltimore Magazine Urban Renewals - Broadway Play
There's nowhere to go but up for these developers.

By Barbara Fusciello

The residents of Fells Point stopped a highway from demolishing their neighborhood back in the 1970’s, so Dan Winner and Dave Holmes of South Broadway Properties have untertaken their new project wisely and with community input. Besides, they’re Fells Pointers themselves (though Winner moved last year to Homeland.)

Winner and Holmes, both 42, are the men behind a proposed restoration of the old Broadway Market into a retail centerpiece for Fells Point that includes adding a second story to the market. The two had been looking for a “little side project” to do together “that would maybe make a difference,” as Holmes says. Today, their “little side project” has ballooned into a $50 million redevelopment.

In researching the history of the market, they uncovered a photo showing that it used to have a second level that was destroyed in a fire in the 1950s, as well as a bell tower and arched windows. Through the stories of long-time residents, they were able to “really get a sense of what it must have been like 100 years ago.”

“The market is the keynote of the project,” says Holmes, and the plan is to
return it to its original two-story glory. Along with a focus on retail, the existing parking lot on Lancaster Street will be used to extend the market and will include public space, while the Aliceanna Street lot will be opened up for pedestrians. The plan also includes possible residential or office space as well as a parking structure.

The pair have attended more than 40 different community group meetings, and it’s paying off. Ed Marcinko, president of the Upper Fells Point Improvement Association, says “it’s a win-win situation for everybody. Dan and Dave live and work here and that means a lot to us.” Councilwoman Sharon Green Middleton, a member of the City Planning Commission, agrees that the project is sound, and can really benefit the community. She calls the market “the historical heartbeat of Fells Point.”

The two secured Land Use Committee approval in April, and now are focused on securing the money while they wait for the Mayor to sign their Plan Unit Development bill into law. They’ve anted up $15 million of their own and friends’ money, and now are searching for a co-developer, but they’re going to be particular about their choice.

What kind of influence do they hope their project will have? “We really want it to be looked at 50 years from now and be thought of as a good model,” says Winner. “Something where people will say ‘I’m glad they did that then.’”

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 5th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #4058
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Union Box Co. spent a fortune getting Union Wharf ready for construction. Does anybody know when they will build the buildings
Great pix ... pretty sure the city (i.e., your tax dollars at work) paid for the promenade there, though
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #4059
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

These are very nice pictures. We still have no idea what that University of Maryland ambulance building is going to look like and the building is just about to go up. How odd is that?
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4060
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Thanks for the pics.

1 - I think Silo Point is one of my favorite projects being developed in the city right now. Talk about vision. Props to the developer for reusing that property.

2 - I went to Pazo the other night (If you havent been yet, go! If you have been, go back!) I wondered the same thing. An active site would completely change the dynamic of that intersection. It'd be nice to get some life there. If the Black Olive can't do it, I'd be fine with the city courting some ultra-upscale boutique hotel and resturant/lounge to compliment Pazo.

3 - I'm so glad the shovels have finally shown up for the Four Seasons/Legg Mason site. It's funny how Baltimore went from not having any upscale brands to having properties flying the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and Intercontinental flags in a matter of years. Think about the hotel possibilities for 10IH and 300EPS. Hell, think about what could work at the 1 Light Street and former Tower Building site and on Harbor Point for that matter.

4 - Union Wharf...wtf?

5 - Exactly where is this Fells Point project located? What will be programmed there? Retail and residential, I'm assuming.

6 - Centre Plaza...HOORAY PROGRESS! This project wasn't going ANYWHERE for months, but is suddenly nearing completion. I actually worked right across from City Hall when War Memorial Plaza was being redone. Watching paint dry wouldve been more entertaining.

7 - Has anyone actually seen the rendering of this building? I think I remember someone referencing some phantom design that resembles the building catty corner from the new facility. Can anyone confirm?

8 - The Hilton is going to be one of those buildings that look better in person that it did in the renderings a la The Vue (which from the front looked awful in the renderings, but is actuall palatable in person. I'm really starting to get a sense of the scale of this project. It's huge. I'm really interested in seeing how its presence transforms that stretch of Pratt.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Closed Thread