daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #4061
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
4 - Union Wharf...wtf?

5 - Exactly where is this Fells Point project located? What will be programmed there? Retail and residential, I'm assuming.

6 - Centre Plaza...HOORAY PROGRESS! This project wasn't going ANYWHERE for months, but is suddenly nearing completion. I actually worked right across from City Hall when War Memorial Plaza was being redone. Watching paint dry wouldve been more entertaining.
Union Wharf is to be located on the SE corner of Thames and Wolfe. Here's info with a rendering from a year ago ... not sure when the developer (Larry Silverstein of Union Box Co.) is going to break ground.

Center Plaza's official rededication will be Friday, June 15 at noon.

Waj, I like your optimism re: the new Camden Yards Hilton. It used to be that the renderings of buildings looked a lot better than the finished project. Seems the opposite is often true these days.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4062
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I echo the thoughts of many when I say, great pictures! We haven't see any updates with pictures for quite awhile now and you really covered a lot of projects. Thanks!
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4063
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 210

Am I missing something here? In todays article in the Examiner concerning the Legg Mason building the reporter refers to the building's "underwater parking garage" and this isn't the first time either.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4064
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 824

Reporter error - AGAIN. Should be "under water table", or perhaps "under ground" garage.

Anyone remember the advertising prank one year when they had half the people of Baltimore believing that there was going to be a giant mall built under the harbor? I think it was in the early 90's. I remember the prank but not the project/product it was for.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 5th, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #4065
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
5 - Exactly where is this Fells Point project located? What will be programmed there? Retail and residential, I'm assuming.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4066
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

Thanks for that. So basically, one developer is revamping the area surrounding Broadway Market?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #4067
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

yep, south broadway properties, LLC (dan winner & david holmes).

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; June 5th, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #4068
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Nice pics Huck, you covered a lot of ground.

I like how in the shot of the Vue from Alcianna, they used different facades and windows especially the middle portion, it looks like a old structure they revamped instead of a new structure.

Interesting how they bent the support columns on the Hilton.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4069
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yep, south broadway properties, LLC (dan winner & david holmes).
Lots o' good data at the Marketplace at Fells Point Web site.

Wonder if they'll recycle the brick in the buildings they're tearing down to use in the reconstruction of the second floor of the Broadway Market. Seems like it would be hard to match brick from the Civil War-era shed otherwise.
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #4070
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Lots o' good data at the Marketplace at Fells Point Web site.

Wonder if they'll recycle the brick in the buildings they're tearing down to use in the reconstruction of the second floor of the Broadway Market. Seems like it would be hard to match brick from the Civil War-era shed otherwise.
OMG...this is significant. HTF have I not seen these yet?!?!?!

waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4071
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2696

From the renderings on that site it looks like they're going to be ripping up all of Broadway and making it a brick road.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #4072
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Unfortunately it appears that the two horribly ugly discount stores that sit at the intersection of Fleet and Broadway are still going to be in operation. Those stores are unbelievable eyesores and although I'm sure they do great business, will stick out like a sore thumb in the new landscape.

At the very least, you'd hope they invest a little money in updating their storefronts. They're rather large stores with very big signs and storefronts, which look positively cheap and awful. One of the stores looks like it's sign is made from cheap plywood with the lettering painted on by hand.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #4073
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 824

In Fells Point, I suspect the streets will be cobbled stone and the sidewalks brick.

Duke Realty on the hunt for more projects in region
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:04 PM EDT Tuesday, June 5, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Indianapolis-based Duke Realty Corp. is searching for new projects in the Baltimore region now that it is undertaking the redevelopment of the former General Motors Corp. plant on Broening Highway. "It was always the intent that, once we made the election to move into this region, that we wanted to grow," said John H. Macsherry Jr., vice president of development and leasing for Duke, who will be running the office.

Duke (NYSE: DRE) recently signed a lease for 2,400 square feet at 111 S. Calvert St. to serve as its regional offices. Macsherry said the company is looking for other potential sites in the region to develop as either office or mixed-use properties.

Duke was picked in January 2006 to develop the former General Motors (NYSE: GM) plant, a 3.2 million-square-foot assembly plant which the company has since renamed the Chesapeake Commerce Center.

The company hopes to complete construction by the end of the year on its first two warehouse buildings at the site and is planning to hold a groundbreaking for the project on June 28.

Macsherry said he has not signed tenants to any of the buildings, which total about 460,000 square feet. The asking rent for the buildings ranges from $4.95 to $6.75 per square foot. When fully developed, he said, the property could include as many as 16 buildings and 2.8 million square feet of industrial space.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4074
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
At the very least, you'd hope they invest a little money in updating their storefronts.
BDC has a low-interest loan program that includes dough for facade improvements. Probably once the Marketplace is finished the owners'll clean up to max their lease income, or cash out to someone who'll rehab the properties.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #4075
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

We dropped the ball on this Fells Point rehab. It flew right under our radar! I think the whole project is great.

I feel like their should be a set percentage of national retailers (like 25% of the sq footage to help bring the crowds) and then the local (75%) to keep the 'charm'
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4076
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

[QUOTE=Xander21;13563415]Unfortunately it appears that the two horribly ugly discount stores that sit at the intersection of Fleet and Broadway are still going to be in operation. Those stores are unbelievable eyesores and although I'm sure they do great business, will stick out like a sore thumb in the new landscape.

You ever seen the commercial from that one discount place on fleet? It comes on late at night and its all around awful, but hilarious at the same time. Can someone help me out with the name? Its slipped my mind....
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4077
Xander21
B-More Believer

Now if Clarke will get off his a$$ and FINALLY start work on the Rec Pier hotel, Fells Point would be in absolutely fantastic shape. I seriously cannot wait to see all of this work completed. It's going to do wonders for the area.

Now move onto to Harbor Point!!!
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #4078
Xander21
B-More Believer

[QUOTE=scottbbfm;13563797]
Quote:
Unfortunately it appears that the two horribly ugly discount stores that sit at the intersection of Fleet and Broadway are still going to be in operation. Those stores are unbelievable eyesores and although I'm sure they do great business, will stick out like a sore thumb in the new landscape.

You ever seen the commercial from that one discount place on fleet? It comes on late at night and its all around awful, but hilarious at the same time. Can someone help me out with the name? Its slipped my mind....

Never seen it, but if it's as bad as the stores themselves look, then it must be God-awful.

Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that there's a place for stores like this. They serve those in the community who can't afford to go to Target or Macy's for their housewares and what-have-you. I always see people coming in and out of them, and so I'm sure they're making good money. And most of the time, they're owned by good hard-working people. I just wish they would take the time to improve the look of their property. Just because you sell cheap merchandise, doesn't mean your entire operation needs to look just as cheap.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #4079
Naterpotater

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=scottbbfm;13563797]
Quote:

I believe it is Super Linens. They are terrible commercials.
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4080
southbalto

Quote:

At the very least, you'd hope they invest a little money in updating their storefronts. They're rather large stores with very big signs and storefronts, which look positively cheap and awful. One of the stores looks like it's sign is made from cheap plywood with the lettering painted on by hand.

Yep...super linens.

On the ugly storefront bit..........The downtown (St. Paul) CVS. When are they going to replace the awning?
southbalto no está en línea  

Closed Thread