daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #4101
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

portland, oregon has a banner a we don't?? unbelievable.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #4102
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I don't think we're ever gonna get a banner unless we start making some. The Los Angeles forumers were in the same position about two months ago, complaining that LA had never been on the banner. Then they started a thread and made about a dozen different banners. Since then, LA has been up there at least twice in just this past month.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #4103
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

yea...we need to start a Banner thread.

Two questions.

Can someone tell me what the city is doing digging up calvert st. and when the work will be complete?

Renovations to the Verizon building. Anyone have a rendering?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4104
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Renovations to the Verizon building. Anyone have a rendering?
Yeah I've seen them. They have them in the lobby. I work in the building. Not sure if they are posted on line. I'll do some checking.

The retail will be some resturants (surprise surprise) and maybe a food court that will be open to the public. The food court part is still being hashed out. By the time its finished, it may be something totally different.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4105
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Yeah I've seen them. They have them in the lobby. I work in the building. Not sure if they are posted on line. I'll do some checking.

The retail will be some resturants (surprise surprise) and maybe a food court that will be open to the public. The food court part is still being hashed out. By the time its finished, it may be something totally different.

Thanks.

That building will really look nice once work wraps up.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #4106
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
yea...we need to start a Banner thread.

Can someone tell me what the city is doing digging up calvert st. and when the work will be complete?
I believe this is all part of the streetscape project to help beautify the pedestrian environment downtown. They are still working on Phase I of the project which is a lot of the infrastructure work. They've been alternating sides of the street and blocks running up Calvert st between lombard and baltimore. Once thats all done, they will start putting in street lights and landscaping.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4107
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I think the best view for the skyline banner was heading north on Key HWY just before the light at the Rusty Skupper and just before the Ritz blocked the view. I think another good banner view is from someone's deck at the Harborview townhomes. One of the old one's just south of the tower. This way, you can include the Vue and Marriott. Anyone have access to one of those decks. That's my banner 2 cents.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #4108
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
I believe this is all part of the streetscape project to help beautify the pedestrian environment downtown. They are still working on Phase I of the project which is a lot of the infrastructure work. They've been alternating sides of the street and blocks running up Calvert st between lombard and baltimore. Once thats all done, they will start putting in street lights and landscaping.
The Calvert St. project is taking longer than expected because contractors found underground basements from old buildings that were never accounted for in architectural plans or property surveys. Part of the additional work this discovery entailed was shoring up walls and recreating the structure of the roadbed. They're essentially building a bridge over parts of Calvert St., particularly on the blook where Redwood hits Calvert. The work should be completed by year's end.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #4109
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I don't think we're ever gonna get a banner unless we start making some. The Los Angeles forumers were in the same position about two months ago, complaining that LA had never been on the banner. Then they started a thread and made about a dozen different banners. Since then, LA has been up there at least twice in just this past month.
wada's pano looked good enough for our banner, IMHO.
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #4110
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Superblock Development gets OK

Superblock Agreement!

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...4/daily23.html

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; June 7th, 2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: "Superblock Agreement"
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #4111
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Good. Let's hope this thing gets done now.

And I hope Junior's Cheesecake is still in the works. I'd love to get one here. Save myself a trip to Brooklyn.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #4112
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

We're in the money. We're in the money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/92.html#l

We've got a lot of what it takes to get along!
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #4113
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
We're in the money. We're in the money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/92.html#l

We've got a lot of what it takes to get along!
.........yeah, & then some.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4114
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

very good news.
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #4115
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

I picked up a friend of mine at the greyhound bus station downtown and was strucked at how hideous and isolated it was. I understand that it rests on the area that Ray Lewis's firm is planning to develop. The question I have is will there be a new bus terminal at that location? I feel that when travelers come here to either stay or connect to another bus they aren't seeing the best of what Baltimore has to offer. The impression must not be very good.

Speaking of Ray Lewis's project, when is that supposed to begin?
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #4116
pennster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
I picked up a friend of mine at the greyhound bus station downtown and was strucked at how hideous and isolated it was. I understand that it rests on the area that Ray Lewis's firm is planning to develop. The question I have is will there be a new bus terminal at that location? I feel that when travelers come here to either stay or connect to another bus they aren't seeing the best of what Baltimore has to offer. The impression must not be very good.

Speaking of Ray Lewis's project, when is that supposed to begin?
I believe when we heard about it a while ago, the city was adament about him providing a place for the bus terminal to locate within the development. Will have to look it up to be sure though.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #4117
pennster

Yeah, here's a quote from The Examiner on January 3rd:

"The property is an 11-acre lot located across from the Carroll Camden business park. Situated just east of Route 295, the lot runs parallel to Warner Street. The current plans for the undeveloped property include 600,000 square feet of office space, a waterfront sports and recreation center and the possibility of a 7,200-square-foot inner-city Greyhound bus station. The goal is to create a huge welcome mat for south Baltimore."
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4118
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Yeah, here's a quote from The Examiner on January 3rd:

"The property is an 11-acre lot located across from the Carroll Camden business park. Situated just east of Route 295, the lot runs parallel to Warner Street. The current plans for the undeveloped property include 600,000 square feet of office space, a waterfront sports and recreation center and the possibility of a 7,200-square-foot inner-city Greyhound bus station. The goal is to create a huge welcome mat for south Baltimore."
I think it's great that a new bus station would be constructed. I guess all of the incoming buses will be departing from and destinated at the Travel Plaza terminal near O'Donnell Heights when construction begins. Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #4119
mpietropaoli
ID Crisisville

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Baltimore Magazine Urban Renewals - Broadway Play
There's nowhere to go but up for these developers.

By Barbara Fusciello

The residents of Fells Point stopped a highway from demolishing their neighborhood back in the 1970’s, so Dan Winner and Dave Holmes of South Broadway Properties have untertaken their new project wisely and with community input. Besides, they’re Fells Pointers themselves (though Winner moved last year to Homeland.)

Winner and Holmes, both 42, are the men behind a proposed restoration of the old Broadway Market into a retail centerpiece for Fells Point that includes adding a second story to the market. The two had been looking for a “little side project” to do together “that would maybe make a difference,” as Holmes says. Today, their “little side project” has ballooned into a $50 million redevelopment.

In researching the history of the market, they uncovered a photo showing that it used to have a second level that was destroyed in a fire in the 1950s, as well as a bell tower and arched windows. Through the stories of long-time residents, they were able to “really get a sense of what it must have been like 100 years ago.”

“The market is the keynote of the project,” says Holmes, and the plan is to
return it to its original two-story glory. Along with a focus on retail, the existing parking lot on Lancaster Street will be used to extend the market and will include public space, while the Aliceanna Street lot will be opened up for pedestrians. The plan also includes possible residential or office space as well as a parking structure.

The pair have attended more than 40 different community group meetings, and it’s paying off. Ed Marcinko, president of the Upper Fells Point Improvement Association, says “it’s a win-win situation for everybody. Dan and Dave live and work here and that means a lot to us.” Councilwoman Sharon Green Middleton, a member of the City Planning Commission, agrees that the project is sound, and can really benefit the community. She calls the market “the historical heartbeat of Fells Point.”

The two secured Land Use Committee approval in April, and now are focused on securing the money while they wait for the Mayor to sign their Plan Unit Development bill into law. They’ve anted up $15 million of their own and friends’ money, and now are searching for a co-developer, but they’re going to be particular about their choice.

What kind of influence do they hope their project will have? “We really want it to be looked at 50 years from now and be thought of as a good model,” says Winner. “Something where people will say ‘I’m glad they did that then.’”
Just think, if only Pat Turner were only more tactful and John Paterakis didn't have such a massive ego, the Cross St. Market could have a Whole Foods on the second floor and Federal Hill could get past being simply a bar district.
mpietropaoli no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #4120
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post
Just think, if only Pat Turner were only more tactful and John Paterakis didn't have such a massive ego, the Cross St. Market could have a Whole Foods on the second floor and Federal Hill could get past being simply a bar district.
If the rebuilding of the upper level of Broadway Market succeeds, Turner (or someone else) will take another run at adding a second level with a "full-service" market to the Federal Hill Market.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Closed Thread