daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #4121
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post
Just think, if only Pat Turner were only more tactful and John Paterakis didn't have such a massive ego, the Cross St. Market could have a Whole Foods on the second floor and Federal Hill could get past being simply a bar district.

There are several large commercial spaces available on light st. just south of the market. I'd love to see an eddies or trader joe's come to the neighborhood.

Thing is though, it would probably be the end of the cross st. market as we know it.
southbalto no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #4122
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
There are several large commercial spaces available on light st. just south of the market. I'd love to see an eddies or trader joe's come to the neighborhood.

Thing is though, it would probably be the end of the cross st. market as we know it.
Plenty of space on Charles st, now that the huge video store is closed...no clue what's going there though. You're probably right, a full super-market would either put a serious dent in all the vendors, or encourage more people to come to the market. I just think they need to keep it open on Sundays...
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #4123
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

I would like to see a Balducci's or a D'Agostino in Federal Hill.
bma83 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4124
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Supermarkets

I thought that there was talk at one time recently of a Graul's going in someplace in SoBo? I think that a grocer like a Trader Joe's, Harris Tweeter or Eddies would be great for that area. On the contrary, I don't think that the Cross St. market would suffer at all. It would probably have the reverse effect of drawing more people to shop in that area that now go the the suburbs. And also with all of the expensive condos and townhomes that are there or are being built in that area, there is already a market for such upscale grocery stores. I am surprised that one hasn't opened there already but once the Ritz is open I would imagine there will be a lot more discretionary income to be spent at upscale grocery stores.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #4125
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Famous Foowear stepping into new site at Lockwood Place
Baltimore Business Journal - 12:57 PM EDT Friday, June 8, 2007

A new shoe store chain has tapped downtown Baltimore for its newest location. Famous Footwear will open a 6,000-square-foot store in August at Lockwood Place, located at Pratt Street and Market Place. The retail building includes Filene's Basement, Panera Bread and Best Buy. Brazilian steak eatery Fogo de Chao will open in July.

Based in St. Louis, Famous Footwear currently has six Maryland stores, though just one in the Baltimore area, at the Avenue at White Marsh.

The addition of Famous Footwear makes the retail building, developed David S. Brown Enterprises Ltd. of Owings Mills, fully leased. KLNB Retail LLC of Towson handled the site's leasing.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4126
30 Floors Up

GOT TREES?
This Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) image of Baltimore was acquired on April 4, 2000, and covers an area of 17 by 20 km. Combining green, red, and near-infrared light to create a false-color composite, the image shows vegetation as red, water as blue, and urban areas as grey.

Old June 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #4127
30 Floors Up

TODAY IN HISTORY

In 1864, Abraham Lincoln was nominated for another term as president during the National Union (Republican) Party's convention in Baltimore.

If we ever get a decent arena, perhaps we could host another political convention. The last one held here was in 1912 when the Democrats nominated Woodrow Wilson. The venue was the 5th Regiment Armory and no, I didn't attend. Looks like we picked winners though.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 8th, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4128
jpreston02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Supermarkets

I thought that there was talk at one time recently of a Graul's going in someplace in SoBo? I think that a grocer like a Trader Joe's, Harris Tweeter or Eddies would be great for that area. On the contrary, I don't think that the Cross St. market would suffer at all. It would probably have the reverse effect of drawing more people to shop in that area that now go the the suburbs. And also with all of the expensive condos and townhomes that are there or are being built in that area, there is already a market for such upscale grocery stores. I am surprised that one hasn't opened there already but once the Ritz is open I would imagine there will be a lot more discretionary income to be spent at upscale grocery stores.
Harris Teeter has been confirmed (at least privately among neighborhood representatives working with the developer on the PUD) as the lead anchor tenant in Mark Sapperstein's Chesapeake Paperboard project in Locust Point. I think he's calling it Chesapeake Centre now. Construction is supposed to start this fall and includes 250 housing units, as well as office and retail space.
jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4129
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

That picture is pretty sweet.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #4130
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Speaking of Harris Teeter, did you hear recently that Dolly Parton bought all the Harris Teeters, Bob's Big Boy and Piggly Wiggly markets?

She is going to call the combined company "Big Wiggly Teeters".

In the picture, why isn't the harbor blue?
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #4131
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Update on the 300 East Pratt Street Tower:

My e-mail to Design Collective:

"Hello and Goodmorning.

Hope you are well.

Will you please give an update on the progress of 300 East Pratt Street in Baltimore?

New renderings?

Thank you.

Steve Wyatt"

Their responce:

Steve,

We are not working on the 300 East Pratt Street project. What is on our website was part of a design competition/proposal we were a part of for the developers, and just represents our suggestion. I am not sure who the architect is. I would suggest contacting either Doracon or Urban America for more information.

Thank you,

jessica funk
marketing assistant

design collective, inc.

www.designcollective.com
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #4132
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
GOT TREES?
This Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) image of Baltimore was acquired on April 4, 2000, and covers an area of 17 by 20 km. Combining green, red, and near-infrared light to create a false-color composite, the image shows vegetation as red, water as blue, and urban areas as grey.
Cool. Among residential neighborhoods outside the central core, you can pretty much chart property values also: more red=higher value.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #4133
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Wow, so all this time what we thought was 300 East Pratt wasn't it at all. While, I wouldn't have minded the Design Collective proposal, I'm kind of anxious to see a new design. Although, in all likelihood, if the project is downsized to 37 stories, we'll probably never see the winning 52 story design.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #4134
Hugh Jaramillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston02 View Post
Harris Teeter has been confirmed (at least privately among neighborhood representatives working with the developer on the PUD) as the lead anchor tenant in Mark Sapperstein's Chesapeake Paperboard project in Locust Point. I think he's calling it Chesapeake Centre now. Construction is supposed to start this fall and includes 250 housing units, as well as office and retail space.
Thanks for that little bit of inside info on Chesapeake Centre (love the British spelling by the way). I think Harris Teeter would be an ideal store for that location. The only one that I have ever been to was the one in Charleston, S.C. and I liked it. I know that there are a few in the DC area and I believe that they are putting one in Capitol Hill. Mark Sapperstein is know for having quality tenants in his developments. Didn't he do the Whole Foods in Mt. Washington too?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #4135
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Thanks for that little bit of inside info on Chesapeake Centre (love the British spelling by the way). I think Harris Teeter would be an ideal store for that location. The only one that I have ever been to was the one in Charleston, S.C. and I liked it. I know that there are a few in the DC area and I believe that they are putting one in Capitol Hill. Mark Sapperstein is know for having quality tenants in his developments. Didn't he do the Whole Foods in Mt. Washington too?
There's a Harris Teeter opening up next year in North Bethesda.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #4136
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Wow, so all this time what we thought was 300 East Pratt wasn't it at all. While, I wouldn't have minded the Design Collective proposal, I'm kind of anxious to see a new design. Although, in all likelihood, if the project is downsized to 37 stories, we'll probably never see the winning 52 story design.
I think I have only seen that tower once or twice. The fifty-two story one that is. I hope it gets built. With our luck, we might get another three story retail building like Lockwood Place. Shame, shame, shame.

Old June 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #4137
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I'll safely guess 13 floors.
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #4138
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

They're building a Harris Teeters in Columbia, in King's Contrivance village center.
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #4139
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Cool. Among residential neighborhoods outside the central core, you can pretty much chart property values also: more red=higher value.
If you zoom in via either Google Earth or the new Weather Channel interactive maps, you can not only tell where there is more vegetation but you can almost identify the tree species. You can literally count the trees in Patterson Park, there's no need for color coding. The Weather Channel map overlays street names. It's interesting that at less than the closest zooms, you can easily see the end of old pre-20th century areas and newer areas. The density of roofs in east Baltimore is impressive. I can make out my own porch chairs. A few years ago, only the CIA could get stuff like this.
scando no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #4140
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
I think I have only seen that tower once or twice. The fifty-two story one that is. I hope it gets built. With our luck, we might get another three story retail building like Lockwood Place. Shame, shame, shame.

That property is too valuable for a 3 story retail building by itself, but as part of a larger structure, that would be a good outcome.
scando no está en línea  

Closed Thread