daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 1st, 2007, 05:55 AM   #401
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

You're right Mason, there is a rendering. I don't know if it's preliminary or actual, but I do know that this is going to heighten the excitement for the project. Do you have any personal view on the rendering?
bmore87 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:10 AM   #402
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

There's the ubiquitous Baltimore "hat" design again. Do the garage walls have any detailing or are they just blank.

Not impressed, yet.

I liked the old one better.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM   #403
Brian21

Wow...At least we finally get an updated rendering. Correct me if I'm wrong but the design looks similar to what was proposed for that site back in the early 90's. I remember an earlier proposal where the tower was tall and skinny like that. That was back in the earlier threads though. Wish I could find that older rendering...Nevertheless, at least we're seeing something. Definitely won't be taller than 10IH. 10IH will be the monster of our skyline.
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM   #404
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Notice it says 50 stories. I don't think it will be a new tall...hard to tell from the rendering but it doesn't look like it will beat Legg Mason in hieght. However, it will still make a nice addition to the skyline.
micrip no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM   #405
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
You're right Mason, there is a rendering. I don't know if it's preliminary or actual, but I do know that this is going to heighten the excitement for the project. Do you have any personal view on the rendering?
well, to be honest, i'm happy that we're getting something in that spot of the harbor, but i'm kind've hoping that they change the design a bit (perhaps a crown at the top). nate's right; it has that flat-top "hat" look to it. we have enough of those in the skyline. the top of this building kind of reminds me of the Marriott IH East hotel.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM   #406
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

What, no brick? I'm disappointed that there is only 40,000 square feet of retail. I sort of expected more. Does anyone remember how many sq. feet of retail there is in Lockwood Place so I can put this into perspective? If I remember correctly, the old Howard Street Hecht Co. occupied about 270,000 sq. feet.

This baby has some height! I think it will be a new tallest if the WTC and Commerce Place are rendered in correct perspective. Also, this is a relatively new rendering because Water Street is correctly pictured.

There are two pictures. Click on the icon on the lower right to see the second one. BOA is pictured in number two.

I LIKE IT BETTER THAN WHAT IS THERE NOW! I say demolish that historic parking lot and give us a modern Downtown!

Last edited by wada_guy; February 1st, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM   #407
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

I don't recall anyone posting anything about Henderson's Wharf. That project is the next to 300 Pratt on the web site. It looks like 28 town houses on a pier where there is now an eyesore of a marina. The Crecent, which just opened, is in the background on the right.

Has this been shown here before?

The Rotunda project is MASSIVE. It is shown in the Mixed Use area. I like the 4th picture!

Last edited by wada_guy; February 1st, 2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM   #408
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

AFTER 50 YEARS, THE EXODIST HAS JUST ABOUT STOPPED!
WELCOME TO BAWLMER HON!

Census adds 4,249 to city's population estimate
Metro Digest
Originally published February 1, 2007

The U.S. Census Bureau has added 4,249 people to its most recent estimate of Baltimore's population. According to a posting on the bureau's Web site, the city's population estimate as of July 2005 was revised upward to 640,064 from 635,815.

The city had challenged the latter figure -- which was based on births, deaths, foreign immigration and income tax returns -- as being too low. The bureau allows jurisdictions to challenge its estimates by providing housing data.

Based on the bureau's revised estimate, the city's population dropped by about 1,000 from 2004 to 2005. Since the 2000 census, the city has lost 11,090 people -- or just under 2 percent of its population.

In the 1990s, Baltimore's population dropped by 84,860, or 11.5 percent.

Last edited by wada_guy; February 1st, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM   #409
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
There's the ubiquitous Baltimore "hat" design again. Do the garage walls have any detailing or are they just blank.

Not impressed, yet.

I liked the old one better.

Nate
At one time, almost all the hats made in the U.S. were made here in the garmet district around Paca, Green, and Pratt Streets! Guess we are getting ready to reclaim that title and start an architectural trend! Ah, The Baltimore Hat! Fifty years from now, that term will be used in all the Architecture books.

Last edited by wada_guy; February 1st, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #410
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Davis Street Garage - Mercy

I was at Mercy Hospital yesterday and saw the crane looming over the horizon so I just had to take a photo. It’s a biggun, but one of the things that really sticks out from here, is just how long and impressive the Orleans Street Viaduct is. It was built 72 years ago too. Pretty neat.

Hood no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM   #411
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Very nice photograph! Looks like it is going to be a prefabricated garage trucked in and assembled on site.
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM   #412
waj0527

Likes (Received): 469

That building could end up looking nice. Im glad its oriented the way it is and not like the former IBM building. When shot from Federal Hill it'll look tall and slender. Im not too thrilled about the hat, but its not the worst 'hat' design Baltimore has seen. (Look at the monster atop the old IBM building or what Cordish wanted atop the old design for the PEX building @ Market Place Metro Station).

The way I see it is that design>>>>>>>>>>>>surface parking lot.
waj0527 está en línea ahora  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #413
waj0527

Here are the renderigns for anyone who doesnt feel like sifting through the DC's site:

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM   #414
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
AFTER 50 YEARS, THE EXODIST HAS JUST ABOUT STOPPED!
WELCOME TO BAWLMER HON!

Census adds 4,249 to city's population estimate
Metro Digest
Originally published February 1, 2007

The U.S. Census Bureau has added 4,249 people to its most recent estimate of Baltimore's population. According to a posting on the bureau's Web site, the city's population estimate as of July 2005 was revised upward to 640,064 from 635,815.

The city had challenged the latter figure -- which was based on births, deaths, foreign immigration and income tax returns -- as being too low. The bureau allows jurisdictions to challenge its estimates by providing housing data.

Based on the bureau's revised estimate, the city's population dropped by about 1,000 from 2004 to 2005. Since the 2000 census, the city has lost 11,090 people -- or just under 2 percent of its population.

In the 1990s, Baltimore's population dropped by 84,860, or 11.5 percent.
I have an associate that works at the U.S. Census Bureau, I told him Baltimore's population was growing, he told me I was wrong and that it was still in decline and everybody else jumped on his band wagon as well. I told him the Census makes mistakes. I'm sure he's thinking back to that moment. Who's right now?
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM   #415
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yeah, i saw that!!

hey everyone, there's a rendering of 300 EAST PRATT STREET on this new site!!!!!!! go under: 1)architecture, 2)urban development, and then 3)waterfront and you'll see it. here's the link..........

http://www.designcollective.com/
Someone please printscreen and host the image. My stupid job blocks Flash!
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM   #416
waj0527

See what I posted above Silver Springer.
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:52 PM   #417
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
See what I posted above Silver Springer.
Damn it! It seems my employer blocks more than flash!
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM   #418
waj0527

Its a regular .gif hosted by photobucket.

Maybe its just this thread you're having trouble with. I always posted it in my other Baltimore thread. Click the link in my sig and go to the last page. Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM   #419
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

So far so good, I say. From what we've been given, I like the design of 300 East Pratt. It could be a little taller. From the looks of the rendering, I'd say its just over 500 feet. I was kinda hoping it would be noticeably taller than Legg Mason, but given that Legg Mason is sitting in a ditch, it might actually appear taller. I do like the "Baltimore Hat" feature, but my favorite thing about the design is the big glass section on the bottom. Depending on what its use is, it might look really cool from street level.

One thing I do notice from this rendering has nothing to do with 300 E. Pratt at all. I really hope the Pratt St. redesign eliminates that northbound segment of Light St. that branches off and connects to Pratt St., creating that island in the middle of the intersection.
I'd like to see that island connected with the harbor area, and possibly put a fountain or statute in the center, or maybe a big electronic screen like the one's in Times Square or Piccadilly Circus.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #420
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

That new design towers over the old Alex. Brown building.
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Closed Thread