daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #4201
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoutz View Post
Yea, look at the difference between FedEx field and the Verizon Center, it's huge. The Verizon Center spurred huge development in Chinatown and helped connect Metro Center to the Union Station neighborhoods.
Yeah FedEX field is a dump built in the middle of nowhere. Maryland got it right putting the Camden Yards Stadiums in downtown Baltimore and lets hope they think this arena thing through.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #4202
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
On thing that can't be denied is that the MCI arena did wonders for the part of Washington it is in. It spured development because it wasn't surrounded by acres of parking and was integrated into the street grid.
One thing that the Verizon Center did was gentrify the entire Chinatown area. Now, many of the Chinese Restaurants are being priced out. China Doll went out of business I expect many more restaurants will too.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #4203
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Hey guys:

The architect for 300 East Pratt project is BBG out of NY, NY

David B. Westerlund
Doracon Development, LLC
3500 East Biddle St.
Baltimore, MD 21213
O: 410-558-0600 F: 410-558-3591

[email protected]
Great info, Steve. From the looks of their website (www.bbgarchitects.com), it doesn't look like they've done any high-rise work before. Some of their home designs are pretty neat though.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #4204
PeterSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
One thing that the Verizon Center did was gentrify the entire Chinatown area. Now, many of the Chinese Restaurants are being priced out. China Doll went out of business I expect many more restaurants will too.
I don't think there would be too much of an uproar over gentrification if the arena is placed in the Westside. After all, the city is trying spruce up the area, and there is still so much vacant property that it could absorb quite a bit more.
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #4205
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Great info, Steve. From the looks of their website (www.bbgarchitects.com), it doesn't look like they've done any high-rise work before. Some of their home designs are pretty neat though.
That's the BBG based in California. The BBG based in New York is http://www.bbg-bbgm.com/.
bma83 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #4206
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
this company's work gives no indication to what they really can do. i'm clueless and don't know what to expect. i might have to go with steve's prediction on this one. 13 stories.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; June 12th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #4207
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
That's the BBG based in California. The BBG based in New York is http://www.bbg-bbgm.com/.
ok, this one's MUCH better.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #4208
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
(Comcast Center at UM is a 40 minute drive from downtown Baltimore. The Blast can play there while the new arena gets built.)
for that matter, they could go 20 minutes north and play at towson center. i'd like them to stay in the baltimore market. i still tend to think that an arena of the 20k seat size could be shoe-horned into the existing arena location.
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #4209
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
for that matter, they could go 20 minutes north and play at towson center. i'd like them to stay in the baltimore market. i still tend to think that an arena of the 20k seat size could be shoe-horned into the existing arena location.
UMD is in the Baltimore Market. In any other city, 30-35 minutes outside of downtown would be in their market. Why are we so different?
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #4210
PeterSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
Good catch, bma. This BBG is much better.
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #4211
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
China Doll went out of business? I was there a month or so ago. That's a historic site!

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #4212
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

I really like their architectural work. Imagine if we were still in the running for a 50 story tower at 300EP. IMO, it would be skillfully beautiful with these guys at the helm.
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #4213
modestproposal
BANNED

BBG designed the Chevy Chase Bank Towers in Bethesda. Despite their height, they're rather mediocre buildings because of their brutalism influenced design. On the other hand, I really liked the roofline they created.
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #4214
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

It's a post-modern design. They're the best office buildings in downtown Bethesda architecturally after the Newlands Building.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #4215
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Just crossing my fingers

that we hear great news about 10 Inner Harbor and 300 East Pratt by fall. I want tall with signature retail on the bottom level. Saks Basement would be great on the first couple levels of 300 East Pratt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
ok, this one's MUCH better.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #4216
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
There are two sides to "gentrification", which IMHO, is not a bad thing at all. Why do people get upset when bad areas get fixed up, yet say little when good areas turn into slums? Hmmm. Something to ponder.

So many of the worst slums in Baltimore - Forest Park, Walbrook, Fulton Avenue, Lafayette Square, the whole North Avenue corridor to name a few, were at one time some of the most expensive and nicest areas in the city.

Most of the restaurant proprietors in DC Chinatown owned the buildings they were located in. We used to go to them for lunch (my boss loved to eat chicken feet - don't ask). When someone offers them a lot of money to purchase their business, and they accepted the offer, all I see is a win/win situation. This is what capitalism is. They probably made more money from the real estate transaction than they ever made from slinging Peking duck.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 12th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #4217
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

As far as HarborView goes, I just think they went about it all wrong. I despise the Nimbys, but at the same time I can see what they say they can't enjoy the Harbor the way they want to. The current buildings are truly creating a walled-off, private community type feel. The city should do more with the street-scaping and create various access points to the Harbor through the community. That area is going to be so dead because it's just expensive townhome after another. Wouldn't it have been better to throw up 6 or 7 slender towers there with view of the water still intact?

I think the city, developer and residents all need to try and work together on this. Part of the reason this happened is because the Nimbys went overboard and said no way can you build tall residential towers, and so now instead you can't see anything because it's just one huge wall. They all need to work together to come up with a compromise that works for all parties. It's honestly too late at this point for that area, because the buildings are already going up. I just hope in the future that if any other such cases arise (see Icon tower rejection) that everyone works together a little better.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4218
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

I've walked around Harborview taking photographs many times and I have never felt unwelcome. The fact is, there are no gates at all stopping anyone from walking around Harborview. The sidewalks, promenade, and streets are all public and nothing can change that fact. Everyone in Federal Hill knows this so I think the "access" issue is a red herring. On the other hand I think the surrounding community has some legitimate gripes. Access, however, is not one of them.

When the Ritz gets finished, you will be able to walk non-stop from the current IH promenade almost all the way to Domino Sugar. So there should be an increase in strollers.

I don't like the walls on Key Highway either. But if I were purchasing a house there and my patio abutted a 6 lane Highway, I would want a wall too just to deaden the noise and for safety reasons.

As for retail, there are convience stores on Key Highway where you can indeed buy milk. There are also major retail districts within easy walking distance. There is Pratt Street, Cross/Light/Charles Streets, and the Southside Market place which actually has an entrance 1 block off of Key Highway. Harborview its self has several cafes. Some people actually want to live in predominately residential areas. And I don't see any reason why some areas near downtown can't be predominately residential. For any city to be successful, it must offer choices. Not everyone wants the same thing!

~~~~~

Did anyone notice - the Baltimore thread is nearing 150,000 views. Congratulations us!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 12th, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #4219
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I've walked around Harborview taking photographs many times and I have never felt unwelcome. The sidewalks, promenade, and streets are all public and nothing can change that fact.
Agreed. Just a couple weeks ago, walked from Harborplace to Tide Point and on to Ft. McHenry. No one bugged me. Although there's no retail, it's a pretty interesting walk--used to think the ersatz canals behind the Key Highway houses were silly, but there are some nice gardens in there now--which will only get better once the Ritz and Pier Homes are finished. Pedestrians will have the option of the promenade or a reasonably wide sidewalk along Key Highway.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #4220
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Good catch, bma. This BBG is much better.
I just want to see some renderings darn it!
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Closed Thread