daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #4221
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
Yeah FedEX field is a dump built in the middle of nowhere. Maryland got it right putting the Camden Yards Stadiums in downtown Baltimore and lets hope they think this arena thing through.
Keep in mind that Fedex field was privately built. A new arena will almost certainly need govt. money.

I am one of the few who do not think that we will get a pro team. I have no objection to building a 20k stadium as opposed to a 15k one. My problem is that a NBA team will demand 100+ luxury suites, if we don't have a team there is no way we will need that many suites and that is a lot of expense thrown at something that will not be used.
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4222
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
I have no objection to building a 20k stadium as opposed to a 15k one. My problem is that a NBA team will demand 100+ luxury suites, if we don't have a team there is no way we will need that many suites and that is a lot of expense thrown at something that will not be used.
Leave 'em unfinished 'til the team commits to coming here. ;-)

Seriously, that's a good point, and it will no doubt come up again when discussion of "what type of building" and "where" goes public.

(Come to think of it, guess the op-ed article in The Sun yesterday means the discussion has gone public.)
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4223
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
I just want to see some renderings darn it!
Me too!
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4224
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

They will need some govt. money but not too much.

The way Ed Hale proposed it, he would finance 1/3, the concessionaire 1/3 and the city/state 1/3.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #4225
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Hopefully, good news is coming by fall

We expect to break ground Spring/Summer of next year. Project is proceeding nicely. It will be a very tall building with retail being one of the major components. Our date of plans presentation has not been solidified as we are working on building program and design issues. It will be a very exciting addition to the Baltimore skyline.

David B. Westerlund
Doracon Development, LLC
3500 East Biddle St.
Baltimore, MD 21213
O: 410-558-0600 F: 410-558-3591
[email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:30 AM
To: David Westerlund
Subject: 300 East Pratt

Hi,

My name is Tom and I follow Baltimore City development as a hobby. I'm really looking forward to the 300 East Pratt Street project. I'm hoping for a tall building with a great retailer . Any news on when the project will start construction or when the plans will be presented? Thanks!!!

Last edited by fanofterps; June 13th, 2007 at 02:18 AM.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #4226
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

"Very Tall" huh? We'll see. Let's hope for the best.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #4227
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
It's a post-modern design. They're the best office buildings in downtown Bethesda architecturally after the Newlands Building.
What about the edgemoor?
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #4228
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
What about the edgemoor?
I said office buildings not condos.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #4229
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
"Very Tall" huh? We'll see. Let's hope for the best.
Yeah I wonder what his definition of "very tall" is...
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4230
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
for that matter, they could go 20 minutes north and play at towson center. i'd like them to stay in the baltimore market. i still tend to think that an arena of the 20k seat size could be shoe-horned into the existing arena location.
The old arena must remain standinguntil we build somewhere else. Between the stadiums is the best idea I've seen so far. It's not just the Blast..there's the circus, ice shows, arena football, etc that we don't want to lose while the new one is built. Then demolish it and rebuild with a nice tall building!!
micrip no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4231
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
We expect to break ground Spring/Summer of next year. Project is proceeding nicely. It will be a very tall building with retail being one of the major components. Our date of plans presentation has not been solidified as we are working on building program and design issues. It will be a very exciting addition to the Baltimore skyline.

David B. Westerlund
Doracon Development, LLC
3500 East Biddle St.
Baltimore, MD 21213
O: 410-558-0600 F: 410-558-3591
[email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:30 AM
To: David Westerlund
Subject: 300 East Pratt

Hi,

My name is Tom and I follow Baltimore City development as a hobby. I'm really looking forward to the 300 East Pratt Street project. I'm hoping for a tall building with a great retailer . Any news on when the project will start construction or when the plans will be presented? Thanks!!!

Great e-mail! Glad to see he responded so fast. Hope, "very tall", means over 500 ft. Maybe 600 ft.
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #4232
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Imagine Baltimore

with the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, 10 Inner Harbor(59 stories), and 300 East Pratt(45-50 stories) in 4 years. Add Best Buy, Filene's and hopefully retailers like Saks Basement, LL Beam,Trader Joe's, etc.. in 300 East Pratt and 10 Inner Harbor. Our downtown would have done a 180 degree turn. We could now focus in on the Lexington Market/Baltimore Arena area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Great e-mail! Glad to see he responded so fast. Hope, "very tall", means over 500 ft. Maybe 600 ft.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #4233
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
The old arena must remain standinguntil we build somewhere else. Between the stadiums is the best idea I've seen so far. It's not just the Blast..there's the circus, ice shows, arena football, etc that we don't want to lose while the new one is built. Then demolish it and rebuild with a nice tall building!!
Not enough space between the stadiums, particularly with the "pedestrian spine" running down the middle of the lot south of the I-395 extension. However, reports so far suggest that the property on the SW corner of Russell and Hamburg right across from M&T Bank stadium (where Staples is now) is a possiblility.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4234
jamie_hunt

Quote:
[snip] Our downtown would have done a 180 degree turn. We could now focus in on the Lexington Market/Baltimore Arena area.
If the economy hangs in there, the two areas will probably improve simultaneously rather than consecutively.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #4235
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
with the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, 10 Inner Harbor(59 stories), and 300 East Pratt(45-50 stories) in 4 years. Add Best Buy, Filene's and hopefully retailers like Saks Basement, LL Beam,Trader Joe's, etc.. in 300 East Pratt and 10 Inner Harbor. Our downtown would have done a 180 degree turn. We could now focus in on the Lexington Market/Baltimore Arena area.
It is a great picture to imagine. Once all the projects you mentioned go through, we'll more or less have a solid downtown core. I would imagine it would then become easier to expand the core, transforming areas block by block, than it is to rebuild a downtown with no foundation to stand on, which is pretty much what we've been doing so far.

I'm also excited about seeing the Pratt St. redevelopment get under way. That should be the icing on the cake.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #4236
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

David is an old implosion guy. He was in charge of imploding the building which used to be where 414 Water Street is and he was also in charge of the implosions for Camden Yards. Now it looks like he has gone over to the dark side and started constructing buildings.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #4237
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Likes (Received): 0

Speaking of the Pratt St. redevelopment, I drove by the Verizon building this morning & was amazed at the progress on the street level retail there. I haven't seen any completion date publicly, but it doesn't look very far off. That will be a nice piece to jump start the project.
MobtownManiac no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #4238
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Adios Victor's

The started demolition of Victor's today.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #4239
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Fells Point

A little something from the neighborhood newspaper I thought might interest everyone.

What’s going down? Old buildings in Fells Point

by Mary Helen Sprecher
[email protected]

Things are looking up for the Broadway Market. Or more to the point, they’re coming down.
“They are in the process of the first stage of demolition,” confirmed Tracy Gosson, a consultant with the new development, entitled The Marketplace at Fells Point.
The Marketplace, the brainchild of developers Dan Winner and David Holmes, is intended to revitalize the Broadway Market area by rehabbing and adding a second story to the old North market building, by transforming derelict spaces in the 600, 700 and 800 blocks of S. Broadway into pedestrian-friendly retail and community facilities, and by adding parking to help draw in shoppers.
The development had initially been opposed by some community members last summer because of the proposed height of a parking garage.
“The parking garage started at 120 feet, and now it’s now down to 95 feet,” said Gosson. “UDARP (the city’s Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel) was recommending 90 feet.”
Rather than get into a battle with the local community associations, Winner and Holmes did a series of meetings with them, discussing residents’ and business owners’ concerns and taking notes. And by March, they had achieved support of many neighborhood residents as well as officials.
In late March, the City Council voted in favor of an amendment to a Planned Unit Development (PUD) bill, allowing the project to move forward. The legislation expanded the height and mass of new construction projects in the area of the Broadway Market. The bill was approved by the mayor, and in May, said Gosson, demolition began.
The design, she said, continues to evolve.
“We’re having conversations now about both the north and south sheds of the market. We have our designers and planners working on it.”
In the beginning, Winner, Holmes and company intended only to redevelop the north shed of the Broadway Market, and to relocate merchants to the south shed while work went on. But the more they studied it, said Gosson, the more it became apparent that not only would the south shed not hold all the displaced merchants but that it too was in need of work.
“We’re looking at redeveloping the south shed into a new footprint.”
For now, all work is being conducted on paper—and in meetings with market merchants, with the Baltimore Public Markets organization, and with developers.
As demolition continues, she said, three different salvage firms are at work rescuing parts of historical structures that are worth saving and preserving.
Ultimately, say developers, the demotion and construction will result in an enhanced new shopping and office district in Fells Point.
“Right now, if you’re getting off the Water Taxi at Fells Point, at Thames Street, you’d be hard-pressed to walk another block.”
It was a point that Winner made back in March, in an interview with the Guide.
“Fells Point in our opinion has lost its edge a lot over the last few years,” Winner said. “The problem is that the critical mass of the area is somehat limited.”
Gosson said that Fells Point is a part of Baltimore that is actively marketed as a tourist destination. It is essential, she added, to create a destination that is worth the hype—and the trip.
The developers’ plan calls for restoring the Broadway Market to its original two-story form, and for elimination of the small parking lot behind it. The parking lot would be replaced with an urban plaza. Surrounding the area would be street-level retail, with a blend of both residential and small office spaces above.
Parking and support services would be moved to a new parking garage off Bethel Street, making the area around the markets more welcoming to pedestrians. Additional residential units would be built above the garage.
Holmes and Winner, as well as Gosson, would like to see eclectic retail businesses (rather than national chains) on the street level, with office and residential space mixed in on the upper floors.
“We feel like with what’s happening in Harbor East and in Canton, we really need to develop more of a Fells Point boutique experience, not just national chains,” said Gossen. “We need to look at what’s here and enlarge it.”
At the moment, the cost to create the vision is about $50 million—“but we have just started to compile everything.”
Initially, preservationists and many neighborhood residents decried the demolition as unnecessary. These days, more residents are in the developers’ corner.
Ellen von Karajan of the Fells Point-based Preservation Society did not return e-mails seeking comments on the development.
Completion of a more pedestrian-friendly Fells Point is, for now, a long way off. These days, what the average resident or worker is seeing is “those Potts and Callahan guys,” said Gosson with a laugh. “But really, if you’re keen, you see the construction fences and the equipment as a sign of good things to come.”
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #4240
fluffyhorse

Likes (Received): 0

I recently noticed some evidence of mixed-use renovation work on the Hendler Building and another smaller building on East Baltimore St. in Jonestown. Its finally nice to see some renovations on some of those neglected historic buildings around there.
fluffyhorse no está en línea  

Closed Thread