daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #4261
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

September/October/or November? They still won't tell me. They told me I could see it in July when the sheetrock is up. I think I am going to wait until the balcony railing is on so I can go out and take photos from it.

An Irsay Finally did something right!
THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR. DUCK!

New York Times

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- It was enough to make even the toughest NFL players giddy. The blue horseshoe. The Lombardi Trophy in the middle of the Colts' logo. Even a red ruby to represent the figurative blood shed by the Colts over the course of the season. And, of course, the Super Bowl rings were all handed out Wednesday night on -- what else? -- a silver platter.

''I know they normally say that diamonds are a woman's best friend, but tonight, they're a man's best friend, too,'' Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne said, barely containing his exuberance as he put his arm around former Colts linebacker Cato June.

The response to the shiny, new, $5,000 rings was unanimously exuberant. Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney said the design, courtesy of team owner Jim Irsay and his wife, was precisely what he envisioned.

But it was the private ceremony that really brought out emotions. All the Colts players and coaches from the Super Bowl team attended the ceremony but defensive tackle Montae Reagor, who is expected to practice with Philadelphia on Thursday. When they left the downtown theater's ballroom, players were so excited they didn't know what to do.

''I might sleep with it tonight,'' said Freeney, one of the NFL's most-feared pass rushers. ''I think today is the first day it really hits. Now it hits home and tomorrow is a new day. So it's time to get another one.'' Players names are etched on one side of the ring, with last season's motto ''Our Time'' and the word ''faith'' etched into the other side.

Irsay said he wanted the word ''faith'' because it represented the religious feelings of the team and the tragedies the Colts overcame, such as the suicide of Tony Dungy's son and the traffic accident that killed Reggie Wayne's older brother.

Missing from the ring were the diamonds that teams typically use to symbolize the number of championships won by the franchise. In the Colts case that would be two, counting their 1970 victory when the team was still in Baltimore. Irsay opted against that for two reasons. ''We look at it as being the first one for the Indianapolis Colts,'' Irsay said. ''And there was no need to bring up any friction.''

Irsay's father, Robert, moved the team from Baltimore to Indianapolis in the middle of the night in 1984 and some Baltimore fans still haven't forgiven the Colts for leaving. (And I'm one of them.)

The team's quest for a Super Bowl repeat has already begun. The Colts are wrapping up their fourth week of mini-camp Thursday, and veterans don't have to report again until training camp opens July 29.

Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning kept a low profile after picking up the one personal trophy that eluded him through his first eight seasons in the NFL.

''It only gives you about a month and a half to wear it because then next season starts,'' Manning said last week. ''I think you really can't wear it after that or you're just sort of hanging onto last season.''

For Manning, the victory laps have been nonstop since his MVP performance in February.

He's been to the White House twice, met England's Queen Elizabeth II, was the host of ''Saturday Night Live,'' dropped the green flag for last month's Indianapolis 500 and golfed in an event that included Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan.

Most players, including Manning, said the ring ceremony was more emotional because it included everybody else from the team.

''It's a special moment because it doesn't happen every day,'' Dungy said last week. ''It's been almost 30 years between mine. To me, it's really more symbolic of the guys starting in March and saying 'This is our goal' and then accomplishing it. Not everyone does that.''

Dungy won his only other Super Bowl ring with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1978.

What happens to the rings next is up to the individual. Dungy, like Manning, said he'd probably stow his away soon. June asked Wayne on Wednesday for advice now that he's playing in Tampa Bay.

''Scratch your head, like this,'' Wayne said, raising his right hand with the three-ounce ring. ''You show them that's a nice ring you've got.''

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 14th, 2007 at 10:02 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4262
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Is it Jamie or is it sarcasm?
Touche. Learned everything I know from the Piranha Brothers ;-):

[snip]
Vercotti: Doug (takes a drink) Well, I was terrified. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug.

2nd Interviewer: What did he do?

Vercotti: He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious.

Presenter:By a combination of violence and sarcasm, the Piranha brothers by February 1966 controlled London and the Southeast of England. It was in February, though, that Dinsdale made a big mistake.
[snip]

Years ago, the Citizens Planning and Housing Association used to publish a city guide called "Bawlamer!" and sell it at the City Fair. One issue described the BCCC downtown campus as "rare example of 'stalking monster' architecture.'"

Now, that's sarcasm!
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #4263
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=30 Floors Up;13725854]September/October/or November? They still
won't tell me. They told me I could see it in July.

Are most of the other condos sold? I noticed that they are still putting adds in the real estate section saying that there are still a few available. Also, I don't dislike 414 but you did put it into perspective for me when you stated that it is more of a backgroung building and it's not bad for that. However, I was hoping that the pyramid at the top would be a lot more prominent than it appears it will be. I thought that it would complement the top of the Alex Brown building but from a distance it barely looks like a bump! You should have nice views looking north. Did you see that front page article about mother Leon's in this weeks City Paper? the Sun also did one last week.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #4264
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Are most of the other condos sold? I noticed that they are still putting adds in the real estate section saying that there are still a few available. Also, I don't dislike 414 but you did put it into perspective for me when you stated that it is more of a backgroung building and it's not bad for that. However, I was hoping that the pyramid at the top would be a lot more prominent than it appears it will be. I thought that it would complement the top of the Alex Brown building but from a distance it barely looks like a bump! You should have nice views looking north. Did you see that front page article about mother Leon's in this weeks City Paper? the Sun also did one last week.
Didn't see the articles but I didn't have to either. We made rare personal appearances on their 50th! First place I ever went to in Baltimore - all the way back in 1979. Damn - I am old.

With regard to Water Street, almost all the units are under contract. They have less than 10 available for sale out of 315 units. And the prices have definately increased. Now they begin at $337,000, not the "Lower $200,000's" as previously advertised.

I agree about the pyramid. It could have/should have been larger. Especially since a large cooling unit is clearly visible on the roof when driving down I-83. The architects could have hidden that unit under the pyramid along with the elavator tops. C’est la vie.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 14th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4265
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Just visited the new downtown SuperFresh.

Damm thats a nice market.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4266
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
When is the big move-in date?
Wada HAS to have a get together for forumers. I'll bring the wine.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4267
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Just visited the new downtown SuperFresh.

Damm thats a nice market.
It has honestly changed my whole life around...although the prepared foods sections does close down a tad early. It always seems busy in there, and its generally quality people. (Prices are a little higher in there, but I think its on purpose)

IMHO downtown living goes through a few phases. The first is residents with a little sense of adventure. Willing to go in with few commercial perks available, maybe some saftey issues. That is followed by an influx of commercial. This is the phase I think we are in now. Once there is enough commercial to provide for day-to-day needs, you'll get a lot more people willing to move in (and stay for those already in).

For an apt or condo salesmanager to be able to answer the question, "where do I buy groceries?" with "Up the block" is a huge step and one we shouldn't underestimate.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #4268
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I'm not a big fan of that trolley right through Mt. Vernon like that. I can see the benefits but I feel like unless it's done right it ruins the area. I'd love to see some type of mass transit through there but I don't know. Taking the trolley all the way up through Towson is a great idea except that it's way too slow and would take too long. A subway system would be much better. I'm not sure what the answer is with a trolley though. I guess it would be kinda neat to add it to Baltimore but the obvious places to put it would ruin those historical areas I would think?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #4269
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Didn't see the articles but I didn't have to either. We made rare personal appearances on their 50th! First place I ever went to in Baltimore - all the way back in 1979. Damn - I am old.
Leon's (or as we referred to it in the late 80's: Café Léon) had a 50th anniversary celebration? How did I miss it??
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #4270
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Did this get posted yet?

City planning group OKs incentives for new Legg tower
Baltimore Business Journal - 4:50 PM EDT Thursday, June 14, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The Baltimore City Planning Commission unanimously supported an estimated $33 million financial incentives package the city has proposed to help money manager Legg Mason Inc. move from downtown Baltimore to a new office tower at Harbor East.

"This is obviously a really valuable project, ... and I know it's going to ultimately benefit the city," planning commission member Wilbur E. Cunningham said.

Baltimore Development Corp. President M.J. "Jay" Brodie told commission members Thursday afternoon the incentives are needed to make sure developers H&S Properties Development Corp. and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse can afford to build the office tower and an underground, 1,200-space parking garage to support Legg in its move to the waterfront development.

"We think this is an investment in the future of Baltimore," Brodie said.

Brodie said without the funding the city fears Legg Mason will move out of the city once its lease at 100 Light St. expires in September 2009. Legg Mason has disputed the assertion and maintained that it is committed to both Baltimore City and to the new office tower.

Legg Mason spokeswoman Mary Athridge said in a telephone interview the company considered several options, including reducing the amount of space it has in the city and moving the bulk of its operations to its Owings Mills data center, but the consensus within the company was to remain in downtown Baltimore. She referred questions about the incentives package to the developers.

Legg Mason has signed a 15-year lease for 325,000 square feet in the office tower, with an option for an additional 75,000 square feet. Lawrence J. White, chief operating officer for development with Struever Bros., said he expects Legg to exercise that option within the next month or so.

Planning Commission Chairman Peter E. Auchincloss said he supports the incentives package but believes the city needs to make sure Baltimore City residents understand its terms. Specifically, he said, residents need to understand that by saving the developers $33 million in taxes the city will be aiding a development that will generate far more than that in the future.

The incentives package requires the developer to negotiate a profit-sharing agreement with the city, but Brodie said those negotiations will not begin until after City Council votes to formally approve the deal in mid-July. In response to a commission member's question, Brodie said a similar deal struck with the developers of the Hyatt Regency yields the city between $2 million and $4 million. He said a direct comparison between the Harbor East project and the Hyatt cannot be made.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #4271
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

found out today that the new rendering and info/stats on 300 east pratt street will be released in 4 weeks.

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #4272
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Guess you didnt get any info on 300 east pratt though?

And does anybody know when we will hear more about the arena?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #4273
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I was told by the developer that the Ritz should be done by Nov.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #4274
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
I vote street cars since they are historically accurate. You can still see the old tracks at places like Charles and Read Streets. In fact, the development of Charles Village and most of the neighborhoods on the proposed route was made possible by the Street Car. They were the expressways of their time.

Baltimore was one of the first cities in America to have a public transportation system (created when our city fathers thought big!). It consisted of horse drawn street cars. In fact, I vote for them. I bet they would be a hit too. I say bring back the horses!

FYI, we also had cable cars.

I have no doubt that something will be constructed on Charles Street in the near future BECAUSE they just repaved part of it.
We also had an "el" back in the day...ran down Guilford Ave., I think.

LOL about the street repaving. My own street is being rebuilt as we speak. New sidewalks, curbs, gutter, everything. It is almost guaranteed they will have to tear it up somewhere after it is repaved.
micrip no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4275
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
Guess you didnt get any info on 300 east pratt though?

And does anybody know when we will hear more about the arena?
No tidbits on 300 east pratt. If this 4 weeks timeline is accurate though, it should be something worth waiting for.

I know nothing about the arena timeline. sorry.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #4276
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
We also had an "el" back in the day...ran down Guilford Ave., I think.

LOL about the street repaving. My own street is being rebuilt as we speak. New sidewalks, curbs, gutter, everything. It is almost guaranteed they will have to tear it up somewhere after it is repaved.
I gotta say, Mayor Dixon has directed a lot of transportion money toward fixing the wash boards we called streets in Baltimore. God knows they needed it. Charles, Calvert, Baltimore, and Gay Streets Downtown, just to name a few, are getting a redo. But the vast majority of the work, according to the paper, is being done in the neighborhoods and that is good. Some of these streets haven't been touched in 50 years.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4277
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Wada HAS to have a get together for forumers. I'll bring the wine.
I'll take that under advisement! Right now I'm saving my vacation. I'm going to take a month off of work when settlement happens. Gotta paint, move, and get things looking good! It remains to be seen how successful, or not, I will be! if it doesn't turn out the way I want it too, well, I have options.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 15th, 2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4278
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
It has honestly changed my whole life around....
Their new motto!

SUPER FRESH - CHANGING LIVES ONE HAM AT A TIME! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 15th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4279
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #4280
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Likes (Received): 0

Developers plan two condo projects along waterfront
Baltimore Business Journal - June 15, 2007
by Daniel J. Sernovitz
Staff

A pair of residential building projects are being launched along the waterfront area in Dundalk, a part of eastern Baltimore County that has been largely overlooked in comparison to other parts of the county such as Middle River.

Thomas Builders Inc. and Ryland Homes each are planning residential projects in the predominately blue collar community targeted toward boating enthusiasts and area residents interested in staying in Dundalk. Both of the projects are slated to include marinas and boat slips.
MobtownManiac no está en línea  

Closed Thread