daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4281
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Wada HAS to have a get together for forumers. I'll bring the wine.
I think this calls for some bubbly aka Champagne! I'll be sure and wear my best Hon glasses too, a la Dame Edna Everidge.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4282
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

The former parkside restaurant on the corner of Patterson Park looks like it's going to open with a different name. I think it said three or something like that.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #4283
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Their new motto!

SUPER FRESH - CHANGING LIVES ONE HAM AT A TIME! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
hilarious!
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4284
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Downtown's Center Plaza to officially open
Construction still going on at site of $7.5 million renewal project
By Julie Turkewitz
Sun Reporter
Originally published June 15, 2007, 11:28 AM EDT
Center Plaza in downtown Baltimore will officially reopen today after a substantial 14-month makeover, though construction is not yet complete.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings and several private property owners will be at the plaza at noon today to unveil a bronze city seal in the center of the plaza, the only remaining piece of the old park.

The refurbished plaza is part of an effort by the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore to make downtown more inviting, to "bring energy to the streets," said Michael Evitts, public relations director for the partnership. The $7.5 million renewal project was funded by a combination of state, city and federal money, as well as private contributions from lawyer and Orioles owner Peter G. Angelos, Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. and Southern Management Corp.

The project was proposed in 2002, but the partnership encountered problem after problem, including funding disputes and conflict with the owner of the parking garage below the plaza. Construction finally began in March 2006.

What was formerly a 3-acre concrete expanse from the 1960s has been transformed into a grassy complex criss-crossed by wide walkways and dotted by skinny new trees and white, purple, orange and yellow flowers. Lights line the paths and several stone fountains adorn one side of the park.

This section of the city is particularly important because of its location. Hugged by Charles Street to the east and Fayette Street to the south, it's at a crossroad between the city's core business district and the west side. The plaza is surrounded by apartment and business buildings and, according to the Downtown Partnership, is in the backyard of more than 2,000 residents, 8,000 employees and thousands of visitors staying in nearby hotels.

The Downtown Partnership is announcing today's grand opening as the final step in the makeover process. But at 9:30 a.m. there was still much to be done. Electricians were wiring lights. Part of the plaza was still fenced off and the fountains were waiting for plumbing. The site's superintendent from Facchina Construction company estimated it would be four months before the project is complete.

"They're getting there," said Bill Neidert, one of the electricians out this morning.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #4285
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Would it be possible to get up an update of this picture with the newly released renderings?

modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4286
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

A STEP BACK IN TIME - NOW WE KNOW
From Baltimore Development 7, 10/1/05

Bold = Still waiting!

Predictions of "fanofterps"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great chance:
1. Water Tower or end of 2005
2. Grain Elevator Locust Point
3. Ed Hale's/KSI Midtowncanton.com 500 condo's
4. Four Seasons or Oct-Dec 2005
5. New Harborview Condo's
6. Struevers's Aregon condo's on Charles St.

50 percent chance:
300 East Pratt -who knows? We have been talking about this for 10 years
Cityscape- seems like a maybe
St Regis- my guess is a 2007 project. Will need all the approvals
Greektown-likely 2007 project
Rotunda Apartments or Condo's- Hampden

Hopefully, the Abell project will start on West side in 2006. Anything I'm missing?

~~~~~
(You have to have patience when you follow Baltimore Development. Nothing is ever easy or fast.)

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 15th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4287
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Hale and KSI parted ways a while ago. Hale took over 100% of Canton Crossing and KSI took over the Greektown project
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4288
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:

Bold = Still waiting!

50 percent chance:

Hopefully, the Abell project will start on West side in 2006. Anything I'm missing?
(You have to have patience when you follow Baltimore Development. Nothing is ever easy or fast.)[/B]
We have had at least constant updates on 4 of the 6 projects and they seem to be moving forward. The Abell is actively under construction. Only cityscape and greektown have I not heard much from recently.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4289
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

(WJZ) BALTIMORE If you've visited the Inner Harbor recently, there's a special boat that may have caught your eye. But calling it a boat really doesn't do it justice.

WJZ's Ron Matz has more on what people are talking about downtown.

Sydney is the talk of the Inner Harbor. She is 135 feet long and much bigger than what you usually see here in Baltimore.

She's been drawling the curious at the Inner Harbor for the past couple of weeks.

"Some of these yachts are $35 million yachts, so it's definitely a whole different league of boats that are out there," said Ben Ayres, manager of the Baltimore Inner Harbor Marine Center.

Ayres says a rebuilt marina with new concrete floating docks will make Baltimore a mega yacht haven.

"Building this new marina is definitely going to bring a lot more of these big yachts into the harbor. It's great for the restaurants and all the businesses around the Inner Harbor."

If you own a mega yacht you probably don't worry about the cost of gasoline. But the yachts run on diesel and filling the tank can cost you about $30,000.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4290
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

And what's up with the Cordish Tower, lately?
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #4291
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Hey 30 floors up

My predictions were good. All these projects take at least 3 years before they start. We waited for the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton for 5 years. New Predictions:
1. 300 East Pratt- construction start date 2009
2. 10 Inner Harbor-construction start date 2010
3. Citiscape-will never start
4. Cordish Tower- I'm 50/50 on it only because Cordish produces. I say it starts in 2009
5. Hale Condo's- market is poor. I say it is 3-5 years away.
6. Super Block- 3-4 years away from construction starting. Will be politics with buying properties,etc..
7. Greektown and Westport- crime is up and housing market is poor. Worried about these projects.
8. Naing Towers- I think the guy is a talker. Not holding my breath.
9. Harbor East/Point- They produce and we will continue to see more development.

Quote:

Bold = Still waiting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great chance:
1. Water Tower or end of 2005
2. Grain Elevator Locust Point
3. Ed Hale's/KSI Midtowncanton.com 500 condo's
4. Four Seasons or Oct-Dec 2005
5. New Harborview Condo's
6. Struevers's Aregon condo's on Charles St.

50 percent chance:

~~~~~
(You have to have patience when you follow Baltimore Development. Nothing is ever easy or fast.)
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #4292
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I gotta say, Mayor Dixon has directed a lot of transportion money toward fixing the wash boards we called streets in Baltimore. God knows they needed it. Charles, Calvert, Baltimore, and Gay Streets Downtown, just to name a few, are getting a redo. But the vast majority of the work, according to the paper, is being done in the neighborhoods and that is good. Some of these streets haven't been touched in 50 years.
Yikes, time to mobilize the historic preservationists...historic pavement (LOL). Those streets have been that way since just after the 1904 great fire. They HAVE been repaved, but only 10 square feet at a time. I have been watching the projects around downtown (they started years ago) and it's interesting to see what comes up. Old streetcar tracks, hitching rings for horse carts, granite curbs, layers of bricks and Belgian blocks have all turned up. On Calvert St, progress has been slow because of unexpected basement vaults underneath the sidewalks. A big one is in front of one of the old buildings that survived the fire and is being covered up now.
scando no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #4293
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
I gotta say, Mayor Dixon has directed a lot of transportion money toward fixing the wash boards we called streets in Baltimore. God knows they needed it. Charles, Calvert, Baltimore, and Gay Streets Downtown, just to name a few, are getting a redo. But the vast majority of the work, according to the paper, is being done in the neighborhoods and that is good. Some of these streets haven't been touched in 50 years.
However, we can't give credit for my street reconstruction to Mayor Dixon...it must go to John Leopold, as I live in AA County. However, the 50 year cycle is accurate. Although this street has been resurfaced a couple of times over the years, this is the first complete reconstruction. It is a 4 block street and the price tag for this is a breathtaking $340,000!! So it's no wonder these projects are few and far between.
micrip no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #4294
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

From www.arcwheeler.com The latest updated info:

http://www.arcwheeler.com/news/Balti...ournal0607.pdf

and...

10 Inner Harbor – Baltimore, MD \\\
1.8 Million SF, $500-million mixed-use
development on Baltimore's Inner Harbor

No new renderings, but it says, "1.8 Million sq. ft.! and $500 Million cost!"
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #4295
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyhorse View Post
Backers clang bell for fixed-rail trolley

06/13/07
By Adam Bednar

The public will have at least two chances to critique early plans for a trolley line that would run along Charles Street from the Inner Harbor to the Homewood campus of Johns Hopkins University.

The Charles Street Development Corp., which is promoting such a line as a tourism draw, will hold two meetings to update the public on the plan and to get input from residents along the Charles Street corridor.

The first meeting is Thursday, June 21, at the Baltimore Convention Center at 6 p.m. The second is June 25 at the Baltimore Museum of Art at 6 p.m.

The trolley would run through the southern part of Baltimore's 14th councilmanic district. It would be a plus for neighborhoods such as Charles Village, Oakenshawe and Roland Park, as well as Hopkins and the BMA, said 14th District Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke, a staunch supporter of the project.

Involved in the planning process locally is the Greater Homewood Community Corp., which represents 40 neighborhoods in the area. Its executive director, Karen Stokes of Oakenshawe, serves on the Charles Street Development Corp.'s Community Trolley Steering Committee.

Stokes said meetings will include simulations of the trolley's route -- a proposed 3.5-mile circuit along Charles and St. Paul streets.

The corporation has been planning the route for several years with businesses, neighborhood associations and cultural organizations. The project could cost up to $150 million, depending on whether the trolleys would be glorified buses or the more expensive fixed lines on rails, according to a 2004 feasibility study. That decision has not been made.

Supporters, many of them from Baltimore's business community, envision local, state, federal and private financing.

Community leaders have been generally supportive of the idea so far, although some are concerned about the loss of parking spaces to make room for a trolley line and the aesthetics of a fixed track, which would necessitate overhead electrical lines. That would be unsightly, some residents say.

The fixed-rail trolley, which many backers favor, is modeled after a $56 million, 4.7-mile system in Portland, Ore. The Charles Street Development Corporation hired as its consultant the firm Kittles and Associates, which designed that system.

Baltimore has a history as a trolley town. Beginning in the mid-19th century, public horse-drawn trolley cars were in use.

The city's trolley system's use peaked during World War II but the influx of the automobile and the migration to the suburbs rendered it obsolete. The last trolley made its final run in Baltimore Nov. 3, 1963.

Now, the only place in the area to ride a trolley is at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum on Falls Road south of Hampden.
What a great idea! We need more options to bring the vacationers up from the Inner Harbor to Mt Vernon. It will be an improvement.
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #4296
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
From www.arcwheeler.com The latest updated info:

http://www.arcwheeler.com/news/Balti...ournal0607.pdf

and...

10 Inner Harbor – Baltimore, MD \\\
1.8 Million SF, $500-million mixed-use
development on Baltimore's Inner Harbor

No new renderings, but it says, "1.8 Million sq. ft.! and $500 Million cost!"
This project started off at 1.2 million square feet and $300 million, then it was bumped up to 1.3 million square feet at $400 million. Now it's, like you said, Steven, 1.8 million square feet and $500 million. And through all this the public design hasn't changed. That design we have must be so far outdated by now. At least the square footage is going up along with the price, though. A 600,000 sq.ft. increase is a pretty sizable chunk.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #4297
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

I doubt 1.8 million square feet will ever materialize. For reference, the Comcast Center in Philadelphia is on the range of 1.2m sf.

Someone mentioned crime up in Greektown and Westport. How much worse is it getting?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4298
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

See this in the Sun? (Police Blotter)

Theft/arrest // A boy, 16, from Mount Washington was arrested Thursday evening when he attempted to leave Helene's Basement, a clothing store in the 600 block of E. Pratt St., without paying for items valued at $229. The youth was charged as a juvenile with theft.

baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #4299
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I thought Hale was close to breaking ground on one of his condo buildings in Canton Crossing?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #4300
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
I doubt 1.8 million square feet will ever materialize. For reference, the Comcast Center in Philadelphia is on the range of 1.2m sf.
I was looking for a building to compare 10 Inner Harbor's square footage with. I would have thought Comcast Center would have been larger. It's kind of a thin tower though. Even still though, I think Philly could support a tower larger than the Comcast Center, and so could Baltimore probably (in certain economic conditions of course). I hope it does get built of course. It's interesting how they're enlarging their project while everyone else is scaling theirs back.

Baltimoreisbest, do you happen to know how many square feet the Bridgeview Tower in Philly is? That tower will not quite be as tall as Comcast Center, but it might be more square feet.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Closed Thread