daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4301
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
From www.arcwheeler.com The latest updated info:

http://www.arcwheeler.com/news/Balti...ournal0607.pdf

and...

10 Inner Harbor – Baltimore, MD \\\
1.8 Million SF, $500-million mixed-use
development on Baltimore's Inner Harbor

No new renderings, but it says, "1.8 Million sq. ft.! and $500 Million cost!"
this is really good news. sounds good. can't wait to see the actual building itself.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #4302
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Right on! Me too! I wonder if it will be totally different than the first rendering? 750 ft. isn't too shabby, either.
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #4303
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Speaking of towers, there will not be one constructed in South Baltimore on the site of the city fire department repair facility on Key Highway. They are instead planning to hold onto the land and use it as green space. Would have been nice to throw a big tower up in that spot. Could have been a tall, slender one that wouldn't greatly affect views of the water.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4304
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I think in this case it maybe better to have a park

Key Highway is becoming very built(Ritz, Pier Homes) up and the developer of Harborview announce plans this week to build 2 more 26 story towers in addition to the Pinnacle. All the water views are becoming blocked from the road.

The fire station propertywill likely become a 1.5 acre much needed park. This property will be about the only open green space on Key Highway. The community could use a park.

I really think we are short on park space in the Harbor. We basically only have Rash Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Speaking of towers, there will not be one constructed in South Baltimore on the site of the city fire department repair facility on Key Highway. They are instead planning to hold onto the land and use it as green space. Would have been nice to throw a big tower up in that spot. Could have been a tall, slender one that wouldn't greatly affect views of the water.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #4305
sdeclue

I see your point, but I think these small little parks don't benefit anyone. I guess my question is, what will that area be used for that will benefit people? Everyone asks for a park and then it's never utilized. Federal Hill is an example of a tremendous park that gets a great amount of us and is a huge part of our city. I just don't see a small piece of green area on Key Highway being utilized.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #4306
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
I see your point, but I think these small little parks don't benefit anyone. I guess my question is, what will that area be used for that will benefit people? Everyone asks for a park and then it's never utilized. Federal Hill is an example of a tremendous park that gets a great amount of us and is a huge part of our city. I just don't see a small piece of green area on Key Highway being utilized.
I just want to make sure that I am hearing you correctly. You would rather have another tower over a park even though there is news of The Pinnacle and two other towers possibly going up? I'm under the impression that you wouldn't care less if the harbor ends up looking cluttered. You just want tower after tower after tower after tower. And you say that parks doesn't do anything for a community? I bet the residents of Harborview would differ tremendously. What you are saying sounds very selfish.
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #4307
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
I doubt 1.8 million square feet will ever materialize. For reference, the Comcast Center in Philadelphia is on the range of 1.2m sf.

Someone mentioned crime up in Greektown and Westport. How much worse is it getting?
I not sure the comcast tower is the best reference, while quite tall each floor is not that large.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #4308
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
I just want to make sure that I am hearing you correctly. You would rather have another tower over a park even though there is news of The Pinnacle and two other towers possibly going up? I'm under the impression that you wouldn't care less if the harbor ends up looking cluttered. You just want tower after tower after tower after tower. And you say that parks doesn't do anything for a community? I bet the residents of Harborview would differ tremendously. What you are saying sounds very selfish.
I think the green space is great. Our government should be giving incentives to developer to encourage more green space in their development. Building towers is a way to optimize a peice of land to allow for those green spaces. Build less rowhomes and more towers. Have you seen all the townhome developments all along the waterfront neighborhoods? You get more green. That message needs to get to our city government and developers. Isn't that the way Vancover's waterfront is developed?
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4309
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Living in Canton I can say that the Canton Waterfront Park and the neighborhood promenade get tons of use from citizens of all walks of life and is a tremendous asset to the neighborhood. It is a very approachable waterfront with many points of access.There is potential for this on the South Baltimore waterfront as well if planned right.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #4310
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Just ran across this article!

Dixon backs shore park
Key Highway site once eyed for towers
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published June 17, 2007
For years, South Baltimore residents have thought a key piece of city property on the Inner Harbor was destined to become yet another high-rise, blocking even more of their shrinking view of the water.

But Mayor Sheila Dixon is changing course, saying that the site will become much-needed waterfront parkland.

The decision ends a plan announced by city officials more than two years ago to offer developers the city Fire Department's repair facility on Key Highway - a plan that set off alarm bells in a community increasingly separated from the harbor by squat townhouses and condominiums.

"At this point, I've decided not to sell it," Dixon said. "We'll use this as open space."

The repair shop at 1407 Key Highway includes 1.54 acres, about as much as a city block.

In 2005, city development officials were rushing to offer it to developers, thinking they needed the millions the sale would raise to help pay for a complicated land deal. A satellite of the National Aquarium in Baltimore was moving to land the city had been using as its main garage, and the city needed the money to replace it.

Though the city still could use the cash, Dixon said that she is committed "to provide as much green space as possible in that area."

If the repair shop site becomes a park, the greenery would be a welcome respite along a corridor that has been essentially walled off from the water.

Alfred W. Barry III, a former Planning Department official who is now a development consultant with clients who own land on Key Highway, said the city's property could be turned into a park as substantial as Canton's Waterfront Park or the spot along Fells Point's Bond Street Wharf.

"It would be very meaningful," said Barry. "When you think of the value, you should base it not on what you're giving up, but what you're creating."

The community balked when the city raised the issue of the sale.

To get the most money for the property, the city would have to rezone it from industrial to something that would permit a mix of homes, stores and offices. And rather than just rezone that property, planning officials were preparing to rezone the entire southern leg of Key Highway - a change they hoped, to the community's horror, would pave the way for a series of residential towers along the rest of the corridor.

The city invited Federal Hill and Locust Point neighborhood leaders and property owners to debate the issue on a task force. The meetings were contentious from the get-go.

At an early meeting, a woman famously told former Baltimore Planning Director Otis Rolley III to "take the plan and shove it."

Many meetings later, the weary task force has yet to find a concept for a Key Highway South urban renewal plan that pleases everyone - though many seem to like a concept in which developers who preserve open space could build taller buildings.

Meanwhile, residents worry that they're about to lose even more of their coveted view, thanks to a proposal by HarborView developer Richard Swirnow to add two condominium towers to his luxury community just north of the repair shop on Key Highway.

Knowing how badly residents want waterfront green space, Dixon and other city officials proposed last week that HarborView agree to preserve about 30,000 square feet of open space near Webster Street on Key Highway in exchange for permission to build the towers.

While negotiating that compromise, Swirnow apparently tried unsuccessfully to get city officials to promise him the repair shop site.

Because Swirnow will have exhausted his construction options at HarborView once he builds the 17-story Pinnacle, to build two more towers he needs the City Council to let him cover more of the lot's surface and to build towers closer together than the original 1980s urban renewal plan allows.

Community leaders love the idea of open space, yet worry that Dixon's offer somehow comes with strings attached.

"It's obviously an attempt at some political damage control," said Paul Robinson, who founded Friends of Federal Hill Park. "But it's a great opportunity to create some great public open space."

Robinson said people on the Key Highway task force are afraid that if the repair shop site becomes a park, other property owners along the southern leg of the corridor won't be willing to swap open space for building height.

"There's a fear out there [that] it will complicate matters and developers will simply say, 'They've already got their open space. We're just going to do a 58-foot wall because there's no incentive to trading height for open space.'"

Deputy Mayor Andy Frank said that part of the reason Dixon isn't selling the repair shop site is because she wants guaranteed open space on Key Highway. She doesn't want to leave it up to developers who might want to build taller.

"That would be our insurance policy for the open space people want in Key Highway South," he said.

[email protected]
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #4311
sdeclue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtVernator View Post
I think the green space is great. Our government should be giving incentives to developer to encourage more green space in their development. Building towers is a way to optimize a peice of land to allow for those green spaces. Build less rowhomes and more towers. Have you seen all the townhome developments all along the waterfront neighborhoods? You get more green. That message needs to get to our city government and developers. Isn't that the way Vancover's waterfront is developed?
That's essentially my point. Why not build a bunch of slender towers that allow for green space and numerous different views of the water instead of building a wall of 5-story rowhouses that completely cuts Fed Hill off from the water?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #4312
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Where did you hear this?
Hood no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #4313
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
My predictions were good. All these projects take at least 3 years before they start. We waited for the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton for 5 years. New Predictions:
1. 300 East Pratt- construction start date 2009
2. 10 Inner Harbor-construction start date 2010
3. Citiscape-will never start
4. Cordish Tower- I'm 50/50 on it only because Cordish produces. I say it starts in 2009
5. Hale Condo's- market is poor. I say it is 3-5 years away.
6. Super Block- 3-4 years away from construction starting. Will be politics with buying properties,etc..
7. Greektown and Westport- crime is up and housing market is poor. Worried about these projects.
8. Naing Towers- I think the guy is a talker. Not holding my breath.
9. Harbor East/Point- They produce and we will continue to see more development.
Oh I agree. You got 83.34% right for the 2005 starts. That's way better than I could have done because when it comes to Baltimore Development, the one thing I know is that it is unpredictable.

I was just poking around on some of the old threads and saw your predicitions. Sometime it is fun to compare what we think will happen to what actually happens. We'll have to come back to these in 4 years or so and rate your new ones. You may take StevenW's title of SSC's Baltimore's Official Psychic.

I agree with your City Scape prediction. There must be some politics, (READ GRAFT) involved with that project because with any other project, the BDC would have taken it from the developer and rebid it when the developer didn't produce. Of course, if you are a "favorite" developer, (READ CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS), I guess the rules don't apply.

They were going to build apartments and the apartment market has been hot for a long time. If they can't finance the apartments now, when will they be able to?

It is insane that they have allowed this thing to linger for 5 years. the last I heard the developer was trying to get the Brookshire property to increase the development site footprint and open a new hotel, along with apartments, above it. But that was over 2 years ago and not a thing has changed. REBID THE PROJECT.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #4314
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
I should have kept reading. I am very happy about this park for many reasons.

One, selfish, the fire department site is 2 blocks from my house and a tower there will kill my killer view.

Two - unselfish. A park there will be like bond street wharf in fells point because the adjascent properties will be rezoned and are required to be commercial> That will be a agreat lawn and waterfront oasis to contrast the dense development headed for the water there. Without it the water from would be completely built out from rash field to the new BP, that is a long wall.

I think Harborview dodged a bullet here iwth the mayor compromising like this. But it still a shame because the park will be cost the city not only the constructin cost, but also the opportunity cost of selling the land. Granted the money would be spent in other parts of the city, so I guess I can look at it as if the money is being spent in my neighborhood.
Hood no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4315
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Two page article about the Mechanic...I would be a little upset if the building isn't allowed to go forward with renovations. It could really be a boost to the area

Theater testing the boundaries of preservation
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published June 18, 2007
Through the years Baltimore has been stingy with landmarking, granting protected status only to the old, the iconic, the beloved.

Fort McHenry, which inspired "The Star-Spangled Banner."

The majestic Basilica of the Assumption.

Eccentricities such as Patterson Park's pagoda and the castle-like Bromo Seltzer tower.

The latest candidate, however, would be an altogether different kind of Baltimore City Landmark. By offering the coveted designation to the relatively young, homely and largely despised Morris A. Mechanic Theatre, the city is not only testing the boundaries of preservation but is setting up a potentially nasty fight with developers who have a multimillion-dollar plan to turn the darkened playhouse into shops and homes.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,3216215.story
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #4316
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Crime is up in Greektown? You would think I would have noticed something like that?

I can't imagine that would kill the project, the neighborhood wasn't exactly disneyland when they announced over 2 years ago. If anything building the project will lower the crime rate. When the article was in the Sun the whole neighborhood's house values took a big jump. A lot of the people who were renting out the houses went to cash in, and sold their properties.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4317
waj0527

Likes (Received): 472

Wait...the city wants to give historiv status to the MeChanic Theater?!?! WTF?!?!
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #4318
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
Two page article about the Mechanic...I would be a little upset if the building isn't allowed to go forward with renovations. It could really be a boost to the area

Theater testing the boundaries of preservation
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published June 18, 2007
Through the years Baltimore has been stingy with landmarking, granting protected status only to the old, the iconic, the beloved.

Fort McHenry, which inspired "The Star-Spangled Banner."

The majestic Basilica of the Assumption.

Eccentricities such as Patterson Park's pagoda and the castle-like Bromo Seltzer tower.

The latest candidate, however, would be an altogether different kind of Baltimore City Landmark. By offering the coveted designation to the relatively young, homely and largely despised Morris A. Mechanic Theatre, the city is not only testing the boundaries of preservation but is setting up a potentially nasty fight with developers who have a multimillion-dollar plan to turn the darkened playhouse into shops and homes.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,3216215.story

i'm confused a bit. i thought david s. brown was the one that's handling this project. then i heard that he was going to try & put a tower there of some sort. now, the article here is sayin' it's going to be shops & homes. hmmm.......
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #4319
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Wait...the city wants to give historic status to the Mechanic Theater?!?! WTF?!?!
More accurate to say it's architecturally significant, though as part of the Charles Center redevelopment, it does have historic significance. Charles Center was the first and one of the few big city redevelopments that was integrated into the city rather than walled off from it -- as was/is, for example, the Renaissance Center in Detroit.

At any rate, it doesn't have even a fraction of the "presence" on Charles Street it's predecessor (the old Baltimore Sun building) had:

jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4320
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

KEEP EM COMMIN!

UMB seeks construction bids for third bio-research building

Baltimore Business Journal - 11:44 AM EDT Monday, June 18, 2007by Sue Schultz, Staff

The University of Maryland, Baltimore put out requests for proposals Monday for the construction of its third building in a growing biotechnology research park adjacent to its campus. The biopark's first building and nearby parking garage opened in October 2005. Tenants in the first building include biotech and life science companies like Alba Therapeutics, a UMB spinoff company, and FASgen, which was developed out of research from Johns Hopkins University.

The biopark's second building, at 801 W. Baltimore St., is slated to open this summer. The first two buildings were built and are managed by Wexford Science + Technology, a Baltimore-based real estate and development company. Once complete, the biopark at UMB could have up to 10 buildings with 1.2 million square feet of lab and office space.

In addition to the UMB Biopark, a new biotechnology and life sciences office park is also under way in East Baltimore. Located near Johns Hopkins Hospital, the Life Science and Technology Park, could open its first building by May 2008. Once complete, it could include five buildings with 1.1 million square feet of lab and office space.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  

Closed Thread