daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #4361
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

I think this project was really only proposed a few months ago, and if I remember correctly, they're pushing for a late 2007/early 2008 groundbreaking, so I think this project is moving right along. The university seems determined, and I would imagine there won't be much community opposition. With 1209 Charles and this project, that area of Charles St., which is one of the few remaining shady patches, should see a huge transformation.

This is the second or third time I've heard a Maryland official say something to this effect in recent times...perhaps Maryland's higher-ups are finally starting to learn something about urban planning:
Quote:
"We are looking to bring economic vitality to the middle of Baltimore, and when you add residences and retail and controlled urban density, we have the ability to transform this area."
Density and mixed-use are the keys.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #4362
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

1) hilton hotel's up to 10 floors.....already.

2) MICA dorms are topped out & it's lookin' great!

3) 1 east pratt street project is coming along nicely.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4363
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

any pics to come?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #4364
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Its a smaller project but the crane is going up on Lexington Street for the new UMB administrative building.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4365
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Charles Plaza is looking nice, but not nearly finished despite the official dedication last week. Still lots of fencing up, the pavement still needs to be laid in some areas. Fountains aren't in operation yet. It's coming along though.

Lots of work being done up and down Charles St. right now btw. From Mt. Vernon all the way down to Pratt. Now let's add the Mechanic site to that list!
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #4366
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

I would like to post some pix I took over the weekend. They include views from my room on the 32nd floor of the Marriott Waterside. Great visibilty, got shots looking east toward Fells Point/Canton and Johns Hopkins medical complex and the Legg Mason/Four Seasons. In addition, construction of the Hilton.

Have some pix of Camden Yards, had a feeling it would be Perlozzo's last day. Sunday's game was another heartbreaker.

I am also looking for a photo of my mug to put on our team posting.

How do I post them?

Thanks
Gsol no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #4367
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Upload them to a photo hosting website like: www.photobucket.com and then copy the url address and paste it here.
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4368
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Charles Street trolley idea accelerates
Baltimore Business Journal - 4:39 PM EDT Wednesday, June 20, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The clang, clang, clanging of a trolley could soon be heard along the Charles Street corridor in Baltimore City if an engineering study supports the plan.

The Charles Street Development Corp. said Wednesday it is launching the first part of two-year, $620,000 preliminary study to evaluate whether a fixed-rail trolley system can be set up to run along the 7.5-mile stretch of Charles Street from the Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus to the Inner Harbor.

"It's pretty much what we'll work to determine, to really see if this system can physically work," Kristin Speaker, executive director of the development corp., said in a telephone interview. "We see it as really enhancing a lot of what's already in the corridor and spurring additional economic development."

Speaker said the trolley system could potentially stimulate the redevelopment of underutilized sites along the Charles Street corridor and encouraging tourists to explore other parts of the city beyond the Inner Harbor area. It is also being looked at as a commuter system for residents who live in parts of the city like the Charles Village neighborhood but work at Johns Hopkins.

The development corporation has been studying the feasibility of the project since 2004 and held community meetings with groups along the proposed route to get their feedback about the project, Speaker said. Among the topics discussed with residents and other interested parties was the route the trolley would take. As proposed, the trolley would head north on Charles Street north from the Inner Harbor to Johns Hopkins. Heading south, it would then take St. Paul Street to Mt. Royal Avenue, down Maryland Avenue to Cathedral Street, Hopkins Place and Conway Street.

On Wednesday, the city's spending board voted to contribute $200,000 toward the cost of the study and has committed to match the development corporation's fundraising efforts for up to $800,000 toward its overall cost, projected to total $1.6 million.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, following the city Board of Estimates' meeting Wednesday morning, praised the idea but noted it is only one of several options being explored to make it easier for city workers, residents and tourists to travel within the city.

"All of this is a way to have a smooth in-and-out way to get around Baltimore," she said.

The study is expected to take two years but is being broken down into one-year increments by consulting firm Kittelson & Associates Inc., a Portland, Ore., firm with offices in Baltimore. Ed Myers, of Kittelson & Associates, said the first part of the study will focus on technical aspects, including conflicts with underground utility lines, connections with other modes of transportation including the light rail, and what lanes of traffic the trolley would take. The first year's study will also include cost estimates and a ridership survey.

Myers said the second year of the study will look more closely at specifics of the system, including where to put trolley stops, the physical design of trolley stations, environmental and historical considerations, and possible sites for a maintenance facility.

As proposed, there would be 10 trolley cars running in increments of 10 minutes.

The development corporation has scheduled a pair of public meetings on the plan. The first is scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday, June 21 at the Baltimore Convention Center. The second will be held at 6 p.m. June 25 at the Baltimore Museum of Art.

"We very much want the community involved in this process and strongly encourage the public to attend these meetings, see the initial plans, and offer input," Karen Stokes, executive director of the Greater Homewood Community Corp., said in a news release. Stokes is convening a Trolley Community Steering Committee to gather input on the plan.

The study's funding will come from a variety of sources, including the city, a Baltimore Development Corp. pledge of $100,000, and commitments from private developers for $60,000. Speaker said Baltimore developer Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc. is among the developers who have pledged funds for the study.

Tom Noonan, president and CEO of the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association, said in a news release he believes the system will help connect a broad array of landmarks in Baltimore, including the Mount Vernon Cultural District, Penn Station, the Lyric Opera House and the Myerhoff Symphony Hall.

"We envision the trolley creating a vital connection linking some of the City's most dynamic assets," Noonan said. "The Trolley itself will be another exciting attraction for Baltimore, as well as a convenient and accessible mode of transportation for tourists and locals alike."
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM   #4369
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
UB seeks luxury housing
Midtown garage, apartments planned
By Lorraine Mirabella
Sun reporter
Originally published June 20, 2007

Hoping to enliven midtown Baltimore with new residences and shops while providing much needed parking for the University of Baltimore, the university and a private developer are proposing a $75 million luxury apartment project at West Mount Royal Avenue and West Oliver Street.

The Fitzgerald would have approximately 280 market-rate units and 14,000 square feet of street-level retail and wrap around an 1,100-space garage that could be used by students, faculty and the public, said Toby Bozzuto, executive vice president of Bozzuto Development Co.....
This is a good location for a residential development. Being a couple blocks from MARC trains, it might be a plum for DC workers. It has light rail in the back yard, subway 2 blocks away, culture around the corner and a short walk to all of the Mt Vernon attractions. I bet this one happens.
scando no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:17 AM   #4370
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Charles Street trolley idea accelerates
Baltimore Business Journal - 4:39 PM EDT Wednesday, June 20, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The clang, clang, clanging of a trolley could soon be heard along the Charles Street corridor in Baltimore City if an engineering study supports the plan.

The Charles Street Development Corp. said Wednesday it is launching the first part of two-year, $620,000 preliminary study to evaluate whether a fixed-rail trolley system can be set up to run along the 7.5-mile stretch of Charles Street from the Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus to the Inner Harbor.....
Apparently DC is also considering several relatively short lines of streetcars or light rail inside the city as a supplement to the subway. With their wide streets, it seems like a good fit. My only reservation about the north Baltimore loop is that Charles and St Paul are pretty tight as they are. Fitting a rail car on those streets could be dicey, but I would really like to see it happen. It isn't the transit system that I'd like to see, but I won't live long enough to see that so this would be a nice supplement and a good tourist feature.
scando no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4371
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

1. The Severn Apartment building on Mount Vernon Square is getting a complete make over. It looks like a gut job. This project was awarded more than $1,000,000 in Historic Tax Credits last year. Look for the ugly 1970's entrance to disappear and be replaced with something more historically correct.

2. Its twin, the Winona located a block away at Monument Street and Park Avenue, is getting a spiffy paint job. For over 20 years, it was painted half one color and half another. Finally, they are doing it correctly. They are even highlighting architectural details in color. This should look really good when it is done!

3. The Medial Arts building project was also awarded Historic Tax Credits in last years competition. It got almost $2,000,000 - more than any other project. I suspect work will start soon.

4. There is a new zoning sign at Charles and Redwood which states that there will be a hearing on June 26th. The purpose of the hearing is to consolidate 3 lots and to gain permission to construct a 188 room hotel. The site is directly across from the Mechanic Theater. Originally, they were going to build condos but they switched to a hotel. Also, they have emptied the buildings, including the first floor retail, so it looks like they are going to get moving on this rather quickly.

5. The skateboarders and bikers are all over downtown for the "Dew Fest" being held on the stadium parking lots this weekend. Apparently, this is a big thing but it makes walking downtown rather treacherous!

6. For therapeutic reasons, I went to The Drinkery in Mt. Vernon for a happy hour cocktail yesterday after almost getting flattened by boards and bikes all day. I was surprised when I noticed that all of the coasters in the bar were advertisements for Ryan Homes Athena Square project in Greektown (From the upper 300,000's!). Now that is creative marketing IMHO.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 21st, 2007 at 03:40 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM   #4372
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Apparently DC is also considering several relatively short lines of streetcars or light rail inside the city as a supplement to the subway. With their wide streets, it seems like a good fit. My only reservation about the north Baltimore loop is that Charles and St Paul are pretty tight as they are. Fitting a rail car on those streets could be dicey, but I would really like to see it happen. It isn't the transit system that I'd like to see, but I won't live long enough to see that so this would be a nice supplement and a good tourist feature.
The trolleys move with traffic so its not really a function of the size of the streets. As long as they can make the turns around the monument and at the U turn locations, it will work technicaly.
Hood no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4373
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

WTF??

Is this LA's second banner in 2 months???
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM   #4374
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Yeah thats insult to injury after a portland banner... wheres baltimores??
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM   #4375
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
[snip]
3. The Medical Arts building project was also awarded Historic Tax Credits in last years competition. It got almost $2,000,000 - more than any other project. I suspect work will start soon.
'Bout time. A former tenant told me there were three attempts to convert the building to apartments in the last ten years. Most remaining tenants left after the third. Heard recently from a contractor, though, that the project wasn't moving forward; i.e. third time ain't the charm. Hope he's wrong.

Trivia: after being release from Alcatraz in 1939, Al Capone visited a physician in the building for treatment of syphilis. He was shortly thereafter admitted to Union Memorial for more intensive care. He donated the flowering cherry (two, but one was later cut down) along 33rd Street.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #4376
HarborSky
Urban Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post

MICA dorms are topped out & it's lookin' great!
I bet this building's gonna be AMAZING on the interior! Like being inside a work of art. Another great piece of contemporary architecture! YAY!

By the way, HI!!
HarborSky no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4377
House3780

The green monster on the back of the MICA dorm is translucent like the schools newest building... it actually will look 100 times better at night when lit up... view should be awesome from 83.. will make a good welcome to midtown/downtown.
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4378
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

We nee more buildings like this, especially in the downtown area. I just read that PNC Bank is building its regional headquarters at 17th & I Streets in D.C. Oh well, there goes yet another chance for a super tall in downtown Baltimore. I know that they are looking for new space to relocate to from the old Merc building on Hopkins Plaza but I wonder now whether this means that they will be looking for less space since the regional headquarters will be in D.C. or what? I was hoping that since the Merc was a bigger bank than Riggs that they would put the regional headquaters in Baltimore, especially since the cost of doing business is a lot less in Baltimore than it is in D.C. but clearly this did not affect their decison. Cursess foiled again!

Oh, welcome to the forum HarborSky and keep the photos coming!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4379
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

MICA Dorm

From the rendering below, it looks like the building is a ramp from what appears to be the first dorm floor to the top level. All the rooms are on a slight incline that spiral around the building, note the floors do not appear even. In other words it appears that if you start at the lowest level you can walk up a ramp to the top. Is this so? If so, its quite an unusual concept.

Last edited by Gsol; June 21st, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM   #4380
House3780

a good match for the Brown Center..

Closed Thread