daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM   #4381
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborSky View Post
I bet this building's gonna be AMAZING on the interior! Like being inside a work of art. Another great piece of contemporary architecture! YAY!

By the way, HI!!
I was really amazed how that building dominates your view as you drive south on the JFX, its going to look snazzy.

Oh and HI StevenW will provide the official welcome to the forum.
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4382
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
We nee more buildings like this, especially in the downtown area. I just read that PNC Bank is building its regional headquarters at 17th & I Streets in D.C. Oh well, there goes yet another chance for a super tall in downtown Baltimore. I know that they are looking for new space to relocate to from the old Merc building on Hopkins Plaza but I wonder now whether this means that they will be looking for less space since the regional headquarters will be in D.C. or what? I was hoping that since the Merc was a bigger bank than Riggs that they would put the regional headquaters in Baltimore, especially since the cost of doing business is a lot less in Baltimore than it is in D.C. but clearly this did not affect their decison. Cursess foiled again!

Oh, welcome to the forum HarborSky and keep the photos coming!
I think you are jumping to conclusions considering none of us know what their regional boundaries are, or even if the term "Regional HQ" is accurate. I don't have all that much faith in the Business Journals (Baltimore's and Washington's) these days. There seem to be major errors in every article I read in them - like saying the Maifair is in the Superblock.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:39 PM   #4383
SoBo

Likes (Received): 40

Former GE repair shop property in Locust Point prepped for sale

Baltimore Business Journal - June 15, 2007
by Daniel J. Sernovitz
Staff
GE Energy is preparing to sell a piece of prime commercial property at the foot of the Southside MarketPlace Shopping Center in Locust Point after spending the past decade cleaning up the site to meet state environmental concerns, a company official said.
Catherine Stengel, a spokeswoman for GE Energy, said the company also has engaged CB Richard Ellis Inc., a real estate brokerage that advises the company, to begin marketing the property. The land, along the 900 block of Fort Avenue, is valued at $362,800.

I always thought it strange that this seemingly prime piece of property has sat vacant for so long - even given the environmental concerns...
SoBo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4384
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Pics from this morning

Progress at Legg Mason tower

Demolition near broadway market

Legg Tower

Pier Homes

Ritz bricking

Ritz arch
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #4385
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

So jealous of anyone living in those pier homes.. Looks like its a completely new living experience in the area... mad character id say.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4386
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Just took a stroll around Mt. Vernon to break up the work day.

Wada is right, they're completely gutting the entrance to the Severn. Should look nice I hope.

But the more interesting thing was across Cathedral St, where they've begun replacing all the windows in the School for the Arts old building. Looks like they're gonna give it a nice face lift. Hopefully they give the architectural details on the building a good power washing too.

Next door in the old brownstone they purchased, the entire building is covered and looks like major renovations have finally begun to take place. They've connected the old and new buildings with an enclosed walkway in the alley in between. Doubt that this gets finished by the start of the school year, but maybe by the beginning of 2008.

1209 North Charles is chugging along. Looking good and giving that block some really nice density. Hopefully they improve on the view some of the residents have on Preston St. because that mini mart and laundramat are pretty unattractive next to the Dionysus restaurant on that block.

The new condos across from the Belvedere in the 1000 block of Charles are being worked on and a new gym, Mount Vernon Fitness is going to occupy a large part of the property as well. They've got large window advertisement plastered all over it.

Lots of construction activity out there right now!
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4387
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
I was really amazed how that building dominates your view as you drive south on the JFX, its going to look snazzy.

Oh and HI StevenW will provide the official welcome to the forum.
HarborSky, "WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!"

Please post often. Pictures, too, if you take any.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM   #4388
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Welcome Harborsky!

Jamie Hunt, nice piece of trivia there, were you watching the history channel today?

And thanks for the pics PFD!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4389
Northern
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
From the rendering below, it looks like the building is a ramp from what appears to be the first dorm floor to the top level. All the rooms are on a slight incline that spiral around the building, note the floors do not appear even. In other words it appears that if you start at the lowest level you can walk up a ramp to the top. Is this so? If so, its quite an unusual concept.
Yeah, that concept makes one think of the Guggenheim.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4390
Northern
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
So jealous of anyone living in those pier homes.. Looks like its a completely new living experience in the area... mad character id say.
In all pics the buildings are facing each other. Hopefully all units have water views on the other side.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #4391
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
Charles Plaza is looking nice, but not nearly finished despite the official dedication last week. Still lots of fencing up, the pavement still needs to be laid in some areas. Fountains aren't in operation yet. It's coming along though.

Lots of work being done up and down Charles St. right now btw. From Mt. Vernon all the way down to Pratt. Now let's add the Mechanic site to that list!
I heard that there will be restaurants/cafes and other kind of establishments facing the Plaza. Do you know when those spaces will be ready for leasing ?
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #4392
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
i agree. yep, i would say make it into a hotel. especially considering the area that it's in. but i do have a question concerning THIS parking lot below. i think it's already been established that it's too small for an arena, so what do you guys think the city will do with it? it's in a great location that's halfway between downtown and the "opera district".

This parking lot is owned by the Weinberg Foundation I think. Given the whole process with getting Weinberg to move on the Superblock, I don't see the City pushing them to do something too soon.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #4393
urbane

Quote:
I'll ask again... unless something of substance and merit is built on that parking lot, why would anyone want to stay in a Sleep Inn in that area? There's nothing there! It's a depressed and dangerous looking part of town, and a Sleep Inn there, with nothing else around it, would go downhill very quickly IMO, and then just end up adding to the problems.

Get a little more creative with the space I say!
I disagree. I think you have to keep in mind that a hotel, or any other development on that site for that matter, wouldn't be ready until a few years have passed. Meanwhile St. James Place will be finished, and the other sites offered in the same RFP will either be finished or under construction. Meanwhile the City will have issued an RFP for Howard Street East and even those property might be U/C. Perhaps the condominium project on the 600 block of Howard St. will have been realized (this one I think is uncertain). On top of that the Congress Hotel and Chesapeake common are already established.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:29 AM   #4394
urbane

Quote:
Holy crap... that's awful. Can the front of the building be saved, or is it a goner too whenever they do something with the site?
The front has to be saved because it's considering historically contributing as per the Memorandum of Agreement between the City and Md. Historical Trust.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:17 AM   #4395
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

welcome harborsky!!!!

i agree, the interior of the MICA building is going to look fabulous! the students that will have the luxury of staying there should enjoy it alot. i also agree with house3780 that it's going to compliment the brown center very well.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; June 22nd, 2007 at 04:23 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:21 AM   #4396
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I think you are jumping to conclusions considering none of us know what their regional boundaries are, or even if the term "Regional HQ" is accurate. I don't have all that much faith in the Business Journals (Baltimore's and Washington's) these days. There seem to be major errors in every article I read in them - like saying the Maifair is in the Superblock.
"Mayfair is in the Superblock".........
yeah, BBJ has MAJOR jokes.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; June 22nd, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:33 AM   #4397
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Mercy!

Mercy to build $400M hospital downtown
Tower on St. Paul Street, where historic rowhouses once stood, to open in 2010

KAREN BUCKELEW
Daily Record Business Writer
June 21, 2007 5:32 PM

Mercy Medical Center has become the latest Maryland hospital to announce a major construction project, unveiling plans for a $400 million facility to replace its aging hospital in downtown Baltimore.

The Maryland Health Care Commission, which regulates hospitals in the state, approved Mercy’s plans for the new, 672,000-square-foot building Thursday. The tower will rise 15 stories above ground, with three underground levels, on a site bounded by St. Paul, Calvert, Orleans and Pleasant streets.

Mercy’s patient load is expanding rapidly, with a 19.6 percent jump in admissions and births from 16,502 in 1999 to 19,739 in 2007, and a 102 percent rise in outpatient visits from 94,664 in 1999 to 191,202 this year.

But its main hospital building, opened in the early 1960s, has seen better days, said Mercy President and CEO Thomas R. Mullen.

“It’s pretty obvious our existing tower is aging out,” Mullen said at a news conference Wednesday morning. “If we do not build this project, Mercy’s facility would not be kept up to par and services would erode over time.”

Mercy is among several local hospitals embarking on significant expansion plans.

Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System is in the midst of a $1.2 billion, 10-year master reconstruction plan, Franklin Square Hospital Center is expanding to the tune of $225 million, and St. Agnes Hospital has begun a $160 million construction project.

The average age of a hospital facility in Maryland is 35 to 40 years, according to the Maryland Hospital Association.

In a 2005 MHA survey, the state’s hospitals said they expected to spend a total of $6 billion on capital improvements before 2010.

Much of that, said MHA spokeswoman Nancy Fiedler, is fed by the expectation of increasing patient loads and a rising demand for private rooms as the population ages.

Mercy’s new tower will hold about the same number of beds — 229 — as the current facility, Mullen said, but all the patient rooms will be private. The new building will include one empty floor, large enough to accommodate 32 beds, for future expansion. The building will have 15 operating suites, up from the current hospital’s 12.

The first phase of the project, set for groundbreaking next January and completion in fall 2010, will cost $292 million. Future outfitting of the space is budgeted for about $100 million. The project eventually will include the relocation of most impatient services, the operating suites, radiology and the emergency department.

Mercy will keep its current facility open as the home of its inpatient detoxification and subacute care units as well as physician and administration offices. A footbridge will connect the two.

Washington-based architects Ellerbe Becket is designing the building as a sun-filled, open structure, said Paul C. Zugates, the firm’s health science business leader and senior vice president, and Jim Curran, the project’s design director.

“It’s about not just getting the function to work, but to get it to work within the context of the campus and within an urban context,” said Curran.

A two-level, 17,000-square-foot open-air garden planned for the structure would create a retreat for family members in the adjacent intensive care unit waiting area, as well as a pleasant view for patients in the rooms above, the designer added.

The size of the new tower’s site and the 32-foot drop between St. Paul and Calvert streets made the project a challenge, the architects agreed.

Another challenge was the months-long battle between Mercy and city preservationists over the site, previously the home of a block of historic rowhouses.

The dispute ended in February when Baltimore Heritage, the charity that had led the opposition, gave up its fight and the buildings were razed.

“We have severe limitations being downtown,” Mullen said of the preservation fight. “There’s nowhere to go. We got beat up about the historic designation of the townhomes. But we owned them. That was uncomfortable.”

The new tower also will take over the site currently occupied by a parking garage, set for demolition after Mercy’s new, 1,375-space, $24 million Pleasant Street Garage opens in August.

For now, the hospital is looking to the future, he said: “Our vision for the tower is to be the destination hospital for Baltimore. We want to build on the continuum of people throughout the region that see this hospital as the destination of choice for them.”
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #4398
MasonsInquiries

aw wow!! that tower looks great!!! it's fifteen stories, which i think is decent height considering there's nothin' else soaring on that side on downtown. let's be thankful that it's not another 6 story building like mercy's women's health center on st. paul place. that would've been a travesty.

i think i'll be glad to see that terrible-lookin' garage disappear that's currently sitting next to mercy's current hospital. i'm also glad that mercy is keeping the old tower up. i imagine that knocking down a tower that tall is very expensive.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; June 22nd, 2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4399
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Very nice. It looks like, well, a hospital, which is fitting considering the buildings' purpose.

More trivia: In the early '60's two Route 66 episodes were filmed in the Baltimore area. I have them on video somewhere. In one of them, the current Mercy tower was under construction...it had a conventional steel frame...no poured concrete or whatnot.
micrip no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM   #4400
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Very nice. Looks like to be around 170 ft. to 200 ft. tall. Any other guesses?

Closed Thread