daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #4401
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

A little larger pic:

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM   #4402
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Venable moving to tower on Pratt St.
Law firm's relocation reflects eastward shift of city financial district
By Lorraine Mirabella
sun reporter
Originally published June 22, 2007

Venable LLP will leave its Charles Center offices of nearly four decades for a new home at the eastern end of the Inner Harbor, continuing a shift from downtown's traditional financial district to newer buildings along the city's waterfront.

The 450-person law firm will move in the spring to 750 E. Pratt St., where it will occupy nearly half the 18-story tower. The 150,000 square feet it will occupy has been vacant since the building opened in 2002.

Venable, which is expanding, has been seeking larger and more modern quarters for about a year, Mike Baader, partner-in-charge of Venable's Baltimore office, said yesterday.

The firm looked into availability of space in the Baltimore region but felt strongly about staying in the city, and was attracted to an area companies view as the new epicenter of the business district, Baader said.

"We're definitely committed to the city," Baader said. "The center of the business activity has moved east and down around Pratt Street corridor with everything that is extending to Fells Point and Canton. This will be more central to be in the middle of all that.

"It's an exciting time for Baltimore with the life sciences parks coming out of the ground at the University of Maryland and Hopkins. We think downtown is important for civic purposes as well."

One of the most visible signs of the eastward-shifting business district has been the recent announcement by money manager Legg Mason Inc. that it will move from 100 Light St,, the tallest building in the city and the first skyscraper in the Inner Harbor, to a proposed office tower in the city's Harbor East community east of the Inner Harbor.

Venable, long one of Baltimore's biggest and most influential firms, in recent years shifted its formal headquarters to Washington but kept a major presence at the 21-story Mercantile Bank and Trust Building at 2 Hopkins Plaza, where it has been located since 1970.

The firm renewed its lease, currently for 125,000 square feet, five years ago but had an option to buy out its lease prior to its expiration in 2011.

Last month, the building's former owner, Norfolk, Va.-based Harbor Group International LLC, announced that it had sold the Mercantile building, along with the W.R. Grace Building at 10 E. Baltimore St., to USA Realty Fund for $78.9 million,.

M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of Baltimore Development Corp., said yesterday that the economic development agency has had discussions with Venable leadership over the past several years and felt it was important that the city retain the law firm.

"They have a great commitment to this city," Brodie said.

Venable considered relocating to vacant space in the Alex. Brown Building at 1 South St., and also looked into proposed office tower projects around the Inner Harbor, but wanted to make a move before those would be completed.

Baader said the 750 E. Pratt site, where Constellation Energy Group is also a major tenant, emerged as a clear choice.

"Frankly, there are not a lot of buildings downtown that can accommodate the firm," he said. Plus, he said, the building is owned by longtime Venable client Willard Hackerman, head of construction firm Whiting- Turner Contracting Co., which developed the tower for $60 million. The building has a gym, a conference center and a pedestrian bridge to the Harbor Park Garage.

The firm also liked the ability to design never-before-used space to fit the needs of a growing law firm, with features planned such as an outdoor terrace, employee cafe and employee lounge. It expects to add 40 to 50 employees within a year of relocating.

"The firm's roots are in Baltimore," Venable Chairman Jim Shea said in a statement. "The continued success and growth of the Baltimore office is an integral part of our strategic plan."

Davis Carter Scott, of Vienna, Va., a firm specializing in office design for law firms, will design the new space. K&G Project Management of Washington will be the firm's project manager, and Whiting-Turner will be lead contractor.

[email protected]
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4403
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

That banner doesnt give NY any justice
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #4404
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

Manhattan, no. Makes Brooklyn look good though.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM   #4405
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Very nice. Looks like to be around 170 ft. to 200 ft. tall. Any other guesses?

i'll go out on a limb and say 200'.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #4406
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Don't forget, it had access on calvert street, so you can add another 30 feet to your guesses
Hood no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4407
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Venable moving to tower on Pratt St.
Law firm's relocation reflects eastward shift of city financial district
By Lorraine Mirabella
sun reporter
Originally published June 22, 2007

Venable LLP will leave its Charles Center offices of nearly four decades for a new home at the eastern end of the Inner Harbor, continuing a shift from downtown's traditional financial district to newer buildings along the city's waterfront.

The 450-person law firm will move in the spring to 750 E. Pratt St., where it will occupy nearly half the 18-story tower. The 150,000 square feet it will occupy has been vacant since the building opened in 2002.

Venable, which is expanding, has been seeking larger and more modern quarters for about a year, Mike Baader, partner-in-charge of Venable's Baltimore office, said yesterday.

The firm looked into availability of space in the Baltimore region but felt strongly about staying in the city, and was attracted to an area companies view as the new epicenter of the business district, Baader said.

"We're definitely committed to the city," Baader said. "The center of the business activity has moved east and down around Pratt Street corridor with everything that is extending to Fells Point and Canton. This will be more central to be in the middle of all that.

"It's an exciting time for Baltimore with the life sciences parks coming out of the ground at the University of Maryland and Hopkins. We think downtown is important for civic purposes as well."

One of the most visible signs of the eastward-shifting business district has been the recent announcement by money manager Legg Mason Inc. that it will move from 100 Light St,, the tallest building in the city and the first skyscraper in the Inner Harbor, to a proposed office tower in the city's Harbor East community east of the Inner Harbor.

Venable, long one of Baltimore's biggest and most influential firms, in recent years shifted its formal headquarters to Washington but kept a major presence at the 21-story Mercantile Bank and Trust Building at 2 Hopkins Plaza, where it has been located since 1970.

The firm renewed its lease, currently for 125,000 square feet, five years ago but had an option to buy out its lease prior to its expiration in 2011.

Last month, the building's former owner, Norfolk, Va.-based Harbor Group International LLC, announced that it had sold the Mercantile building, along with the W.R. Grace Building at 10 E. Baltimore St., to USA Realty Fund for $78.9 million,.

M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of Baltimore Development Corp., said yesterday that the economic development agency has had discussions with Venable leadership over the past several years and felt it was important that the city retain the law firm.

"They have a great commitment to this city," Brodie said.

Venable considered relocating to vacant space in the Alex. Brown Building at 1 South St., and also looked into proposed office tower projects around the Inner Harbor, but wanted to make a move before those would be completed.

Baader said the 750 E. Pratt site, where Constellation Energy Group is also a major tenant, emerged as a clear choice.

"Frankly, there are not a lot of buildings downtown that can accommodate the firm," he said. Plus, he said, the building is owned by longtime Venable client Willard Hackerman, head of construction firm Whiting- Turner Contracting Co., which developed the tower for $60 million. The building has a gym, a conference center and a pedestrian bridge to the Harbor Park Garage.

The firm also liked the ability to design never-before-used space to fit the needs of a growing law firm, with features planned such as an outdoor terrace, employee cafe and employee lounge. It expects to add 40 to 50 employees within a year of relocating.

"The firm's roots are in Baltimore," Venable Chairman Jim Shea said in a statement. "The continued success and growth of the Baltimore office is an integral part of our strategic plan."

Davis Carter Scott, of Vienna, Va., a firm specializing in office design for law firms, will design the new space. K&G Project Management of Washington will be the firm's project manager, and Whiting-Turner will be lead contractor.

[email protected]
I mentioned this a few months ago. I have a buddy who works for Venable's Baltimore office. The employee's Ive spoken to about the move seem ecstatic. They HATE the current building. There are no amenities around.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #4408
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Banner photo looks like it was taken from the Staten Island Ferry.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4409
30 Floors Up

Yep. I have a picture of me on the back of the ferry but it was taken closer to Manhattan and the WTC's were still up. Did you see the article in the NY Times about the Hopkins bio-park this week? I didn't post it because I didn't like the tone.

For once, the Washington Post shows Baltimore in a good way. There is a kick ass photo of the skyline on the sports page today. I can't post the picture, but you can see hit here. It is much bigger in the print edition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/sports/

Has to do with the Dew being in town. Its titled "A City Charmed And Stoked".

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 22nd, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4410
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

hmm. what was the tone??
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #4411
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
hmm. what was the tone??
The tone - Baltimore abusing its poor again. I guess the NY Times thinks it is better to live in rat infested slums that are 70% vacant. Here it is if you are interested. I don't agree with it because the East Baltimore Development Corp. has bent over backward to insure that the people who lived there are taken care of. There will be a significant amount of subsidized and affordable housing when this thing is complete. The relocation packages will ensure that the residents spend no out of pocket money. The FACTS can be found here: http://www.ebdi.org/ResidentsCorner/ResidentCorner.asp

I get the feeling that the Times thinks it would be better to do nothing, either that or they are jealous.

I wonder what the NY Times is saying about all the people being displaced from The Lower East Side, Hell's Kitchen, The Bowrey, and the East Village. Or what about all the people in Brooklyn so an arena can be built? You damn near have to be a millionaire to live in an efficiency in Manhattan these days.

A High-Tech Center Moves Into Baltimore, and Residents May Be Driven Out
Brendan Smialowski for The New York Times

Published: June 17, 2007
BALTIMORE, June 16 — For nearly three decades, Charlotte Johnson witnessed the drug dealing and violence on the streets in front of her modest row house in East Baltimore. She rode it out only to face a new challenge today — the community’s transformation under the largest planned urban renewal in the country, which could soon drive her out of the neighborhood.

“It’s like taking a piece of my heart out,” said Ms. Johnson, 54. “All I’m asking for is just to give me a house in the place for the house you are taking.”

Ms. Johnson is one of 400 families awaiting relocation as workers clear part of the 100-acre site for the $1.4 billion project. It will convert the once-blighted neighborhood into a biotechnology research center linked to the nearby Johns Hopkins Hospital. It will also include 2,200 new and renovated housing units and generate 6,000 jobs and millions of dollars in tax revenue for the city and state.

City officials believe the project could play a major role in turning around the city and attracting additional development. “It’s a new city within a city,” said Anthony J. Ambridge, a former Baltimore city councilman turned private developer. “It’s a long-term project, and the dividends won’t be paid for years.”

But for residents of the neighborhood, the change is bittersweet. Ms. Johnson said the thick dust stirred up by the construction just across the street from her front steps had often made her ill. She also worries about giving up the house her parents bought in 1955 for $5,000. With some buyout packages already offered at an average of $153,000, Ms. Johnson, out of work and on disability, said she will not be able to afford a house in the new community, where prices are expected to start at $250,000.

“It truly hurts because of the history behind this house,” she said. “My parents gave me this place to keep in the family.” For a year, bulldozers have been clearing blocks pockmarked by a 70 percent vacancy rate and carrying the nickname Badlands since the crack epidemic of the 1980s.

This summer, the first new housing units will open — an apartment complex for older residents, followed in the fall by apartments for firefighters, police officers, teachers and nurses.

The project is a public-private partnership mixing $250 million in city, state and federal money with $1.2 billion in private investment, said Jack Shannon, executive director of East Baltimore Development Inc., the nonprofit organization in charge of the project. The Annie E. Casey Foundation, a nonprofit group based in Baltimore, has committed $55 million, $8.5 million of which will go toward relocating families. Johns Hopkins, which will lease a majority of space in the biotechnology park, has committed more than $30 million.

Mr. Shannon said the project would spread out over 30 square blocks and hold up to two million square feet of office and research space. The goal of the new housing units, he added, is to create a mixed-income community.

Longtime residents remain skeptical. Donald Gresham, once homeless and now the owner of a two-story row house, said his annual salary of about $10,000 would prevent him from returning to the community as a homeowner. Even though Mr. Shannon has promised to offer gap financing for qualified residents who want to return from a no-interest equity mortgage pool, Mr. Gresham, a community activist who heads the Save Middle East Action Committee, said he was not interested.

“My hope for the future is that I would be able to have a home that is affordable,” he said. “I’m looking for security, to know that I have a secure life after this is over. And if I don’t get that, I’m going to be really mad.”

Mr. Shannon acknowledged the frustrations. Over the past year, workers from East Baltimore Development have helped relocate 396 families from the site, showing them homes and apartments available for purchase and rent in surrounding city neighborhoods. It remains unclear whether they will return to their former neighborhood once new housing opens up.

“For better or worse, we’re pushing the frontier here,” said Mr. Shannon, a former member of the Camden, N.J., school board who later worked for Edward G. Rendell when he was mayor of Philadelphia. “We’re trying to build day in and day out, interaction by interaction, meeting by meeting, a level of trust.”

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 22nd, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4412
cgunna
2A

Thanks for posting the article.

I sort of shrugged when I read it. Its the same story over and over whenever residents are displaced. 153k for a house that might get sold on the market for about 15k. not too bad i guess.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #4413
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Yall are missing the point. She would like to stay in her neighborhood but she wont be able to. For her, its not about the money, its about being able to stay.

Its the bad part about gentrification and what Ive been complaining about. Baltimore has got to start building TRUE affordable housing. Its slowly but surely pushing people out of their neighborhoods and out of the city and its not right that people who have stuck with the city through the bad are not being able to enjoy baltimores renewal.

You bolded the part about giving her the 153,000 dollars but didnt with rest on the price of new homes starting at 250,000 dollars.

Put yourselves in these peoples shoes. If you were being displaced from your home, you'd feel completely different about the Biopark. If someone said we dont care how long you've lived here. We've got people with more money who are going to live here now whether you own this property or not, you'd think about it differently. You all care so much about ******* views of the water when you can just leave your house and walk up the street to go see it, yet someones home and life within a neighborhood means nothing to you. Seriously Wada, I know you retracted your statement about, just a homeless guy, but that with your sentiment on this lady.. just take ur money and leave.. just doesnt sit right with me.. and I think its sad but Im guessin most people on this forum share the same feelings. GO SKYSCRAPERS!!! MORE HEIGHT!!! YES!!!

Heartless.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #4414
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Yep. I have a picture of me on the back of the ferry but it was taken closer to Manhattan and the WTC's were still up. Did you see the article in the NY Times about the Hopkins bio-park this week? I didn't post it because I didn't like the tone.

For once, the Washington Post shows Baltimore in a good way. There is a kick ass photo of the skyline on the sports page today. I can't post the picture, but you can see hit here. It is much bigger in the print edition.

I did see the NYTimes story about Hopkins. Not only was it negative, but factually incorrect. The devlopment team and the city worked together to try to ameliorate the impact on relocated residents. It was a long arduous procedure. But most residents were satisfied and accepting of the project. The NYTimes found the one dissatisfied resident with a heartbreaking story. If you recall only one resident was used in the story, and what the reader perceives is that, that one indivisdual represents the entire community.

I am surprised at the Times for doing this. I believe they had their prespective on this story, then sought to prove it by seeking out the resident to verify their bias. They also failed to mention that Hopkins will try to employ area residents in these new facilities. And they failed to mention how desolate and crime ridden the neighborhood was.

The Times does not have a good history when reporting on stories about Baltimore. This is especially true on crime stories. When urban crime stories are to be told, Baltimore is in each reporter's rollodex.

I should have written them. For the most part I do like the paper and am a daily subscriber.

After I wrote this I noticed you posted the original story. also House, you bring an important perspective to this. I believe the lady should be accommodated as best as possible. If her house can remain that's fine. There was a recent story about a woman who was allowed to keep her house that was in the way of the U of M development. Not everyone can be satisfied when these projects are planned. But in the case of Hopkins most of the community feels they were treated fairly. Go back an read some of the earlier stories dealing with area residents.

Last edited by Gsol; June 22nd, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4415
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:

waj0527 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM   #4416
cgunna
2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
Yall are missing the point. She would like to stay in her neighborhood but she wont be able to. For her, its not about the money, its about being able to stay.

Its the bad part about gentrification and what Ive been complaining about. Baltimore has got to start building TRUE affordable housing. Its slowly but surely pushing people out of their neighborhoods and out of the city and its not right that people who have stuck with the city through the bad are not being able to enjoy baltimores renewal.

You bolded the part about giving her the 153,000 dollars but didnt with rest on the price of new homes starting at 250,000 dollars.

Put yourselves in these peoples shoes. If you were being displaced from your home, you'd feel completely different about the Biopark. If someone said we dont care how long you've lived here. We've got people with more money who are going to live here now whether you own this property or not, you'd think about it differently. You all care so much about ******* views of the water when you can just leave your house and walk up the street to go see it, yet someones home and life within a neighborhood means nothing to you. Seriously Wada, I know you retracted your statement about, just a homeless guy, but that with your sentiment on this lady.. just take ur money and leave.. just doesnt sit right with me.. and I think its sad but Im guessin most people on this forum share the same feelings. GO SKYSCRAPERS!!! MORE HEIGHT!!! YES!!!

Heartless.
where did you grow up
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #4417
30 Floors Up

I agree with House. We should wait until a slum is 100% empty before we do anything to make an area better. Seventy % empty is not enough. The city of Baltimore should hold up a project that creates jobs and housing for thousands of others to please one person. We should be ashamed. (JUST KIDDING - IN A PASSIVE AGRESSIVE SORT OF WAY)

Also, I have never seen a price tag put on the homes to be constructed. If it is going to be a mixed income neighborhood, one would assume that there will housing available at ALL income levels. That is what the East Baltimore Development Inc. web site states.

Truthfully, I would bet that this is an independent article that they paid money for. I've never seen the byline before and I pay attention to such things. I doubt that this was written by a Times employee, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 22nd, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #4418
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Looking at the banner: imagine Brooklyn's skyline being Baltimore's skyline. That's how much bigger New York is compared to Baltimore!!
micrip no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #4419
30 Floors Up

Yep. NYC is huge. Downtown Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, Brooklyn, and now Jersey City. All of them could give any mid-sized city a run for their money in the skyline department.

Now I gotta say, is it me or does that Mercy building look small in the rendering? It is supposed to be 672,000 square feet, but it doesn't look like it is that large to me. The Legg Mason building is what, 550,000 sq. feet?

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 22nd, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM   #4420
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
aw wow!! that tower looks great!!! it's fifteen stories, which i think is decent height considering there's nothin' else soaring on that side on downtown. let's be thankful that it's not another 6 story building like mercy's women's health center on st. paul place. that would've been a travesty.

i think i'll be glad to see that terrible-lookin' garage disappear that's currently sitting next to mercy's current hospital. i'm also glad that mercy is keeping the old tower up. i imagine that knocking down a tower that tall is very expensive.
Mason, there is a bit of a mixup. The Maryland Daily Record says that Mercy's new tower is going to be 15 stories. Today's Baltimore Sun says that it is going to be 18 stories. Can someone clarify the truth on this?

Closed Thread