daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4441
Oli4S
Construction engineer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Some interesting news not related to development in the city of Baltimore that I came across in the world forums - Baltimore's sister city, Rotterdam is building a new tower that will be known as "Baltimore." It will be one tower in a larger development in which each tower will be named after a major new world port. Other towers will be called New Orleans, Havana, Philly, Chicago (Hamburg, Germany is also building a Chicago tower), Boston and, of course, Rotterdam itself. The Baltimore tower's height is unknown, but from the looks of the rendering it might be the tallest in the entire development. It's kind of disappointing that Rotterdam's Baltimore tower is taller and by a more famous architect (Foster) than just about anything built in our city. Oh well. Maybe we can return the favor one day with a supertall Rotterdam tower of our own. Anyway, here's a link to the thread dedicated to the entire development:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=477850
There is now more info about the tower 'Baltimore' in Rotterdam. It's proposed to be 170m. tall. On this page there is an impression and some information: http://stud.hro.nl/0777349/index_bestanden/Page754.htm (the second tower from the right at the front, the tallest one)

This is the topic concerning the tower: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=151726

[Sorry to go off-topic]
Oli4S no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #4442
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Welcome to our thread, Oli4S.

thanx for the info, btw.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4443
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Rotunda

Rotunda: no news IS news

Project's pace slows, Hekemian concedes

06/20/07
By Adam Bednar and Larry Perl

Respond to this story
Email this story to a friend

An artist's rendering shows a planned courtyard in the redeveloped Rotunda shopping center with stores turned around to face outward and upscale housing behind them.
Hekemian & Co., which was supposed to break ground by September on its planned redevelopment of the Rotunda shopping center, now says the $130 million project won't begin until next spring at the earliest.

So many traffic and other issues remain unresolved that Baltimore City planners are putting the project at 711 W. 40th St. on their back burner.

"To be honest, we haven't heard too much about this project in a while," said Gary Cole, deputy director of the Department of Planning. "I don't remember them doing anything in the past 2-3 months."

The proposed mixed-use center would have 400 units of upscale housing, including rental apartments in two towers, one 22 stories tall.

The delay isn't a sign of trouble, said Chris Bell, Hekemian's senior vice president of acquisitions and development. He said some redesigns were needed to accommodate tenants.

One client, a national health and fitness club, wanted space for a gym and a pool, he said.

"The delays are good in a way, because they are based on accommodating tenants' needs," Bell said.

Some of the delays have also been the result of input from the project's contractor, Bovis Lend Lease, Bell said.

City planners say there are still questions about the project, especially traffic access. Project representatives came before the city's Site Plan Review Committee three times, and the project is still under review, Chairman Wolde Ararsa said.

Parking and traffic are major issues -- especially whether to widen the intersection of 41st Street and Roland Avenue, Ararsa said.

"Traffic is going to be a major concern at that location," Cole said.

Another sign of the slowdown is that Hekemian has not met since last year with the advisory panel of community leaders that the company formed.

George Peters, chairman of the Hampden Community Council's zoning committee, said the lack of communication between Hekemian and the community worries but doesn't surprise him. Rumors of a delay have been circulating in Hampden for months, he said.

Al Barry, Hekemian's land-use consultant, said the project is doing well as far as attracting tenants.

Hekemian drew a lot of interest in the Rotunda project at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas earlier this year, Barry said.

City Council President Stephanie Rawlings Blake, who attended the convention along with Mayor Sheila Dixon and Gov. Martin O'Malley, said she thought the project was moving along well.

But Frank Murphy, deputy chief of the traffic division of the city's Department of Transportation, said in February the redevelopment is expected to bring as much as an 8 percent increase in traffic. He said intersections at Falls Road and 40th Street, as well as at 40th and Roland, are already prone to traffic problems.

Hekemian is continuing to work with transportation officials to alleviate traffic issues, Bell said.

Cole said the delay isn't necessarily unusual -- "not for a project of this magnitude."

But he said he has seen many proposed developments fade away before fruition.

"Nine out of 10 projects don't go anywhere," he said.

Redevelopment of the struggling center now calls for the 22-story apartment building; condominiums and town houses for sale; a new and much larger Giant supermarket; a renovated Rite Aid drugstore; 1,600 parking spaces, most of them in an underground garage; four new restaurants, including one in a former power plant on the site, and a number of new stores, including a bookstore, a home goods and furnishing store and an ice cream parlor. The two-screen Cinematheque movie theater would be expanded, and current stores would be turned around to face outward onto a courtyard area.

The redevelopment plans have been a source of concern for residents in surrounding neighborhoods, as well as businesses along 36th Street in Hampden. Some merchants have said independent business owners will not be able to keep up with national chains at the Rotunda.

Some residents have also complained that the development is not in keeping with nearby Hampden and its small, brick row homes, and that the area would lose its working class ambience.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM   #4444
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Interesting.....
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #4445
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
Rotunda: no news IS news

Project's pace slows, Hekemian concedes

06/20/07
By Adam Bednar and Larry Perl

Respond to this story
Email this story to a friend

An artist's rendering shows a planned courtyard in the redeveloped Rotunda shopping center with stores turned around to face outward and upscale housing behind them. Hekemian & Co., which was supposed to break ground by September on its planned redevelopment of the Rotunda shopping center, now says the $130 million project won't begin until next spring at the earliest.

So many traffic and other issues remain unresolved that Baltimore City planners are putting the project at 711 W. 40th St. on their back burner.

"To be honest, we haven't heard too much about this project in a while," said Gary Cole, deputy director of the Department of Planning. "I don't remember them doing anything in the past 2-3 months."......
I hope they do keep this project going. The current property is so in need of a rethinking and so barren but the neighborhood is so perfect for something like this. It's true that part of it faces Hampden and its working class identity, but Hampden is changing and not as working class as it once was. The other side faces Roland Park though and that area really needs a gathering place with some food, books and shopping. Anybody who remembers when the Rotunda WAS a success knows that. The Giant there is a cruel joke as it is and Tomlinson Crafts needs a reward for sticking it out through all these lean years. I really think this is a project that will do well, kinda like the pent-up success of Belvedere Square that was waiting to happen for years. Housing on the site seems like a sure winner to me. Good times or bad, houses in RP sell well and this project will fill a gap that exists for a more urban housing style. Can't lose on this one.
scando no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4446
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
The Sun has taken a page out of the City Paper and decided to give us this:
http://essentials.baltimoresun.com/micro_sun/homicides/
Only 9 of the homicides were not black. The cities leadership needs to get off there asses and stop whining and pandering. I'm looking at you Nathanial McFaddan.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #4447
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Only 9 of the homicides were not black. The cities leadership needs to get off there asses and stop whining and pandering. I'm looking at you Nathanial McFaddan.
This issue is way to big for our city leadership. The problem is most people will look at this map and respond as you have. The drug trade in Baltimore is an issue for State and Federal governments. I say why isn't the State and Federal Government doing more. Did you know that the majority of illegal drug sales in the city are to people who have driven in from the suburbs? We need to do a better job in education so there is a better option than dropping out and joining the illegal drug trade. We need to overwelm the city areas affected with law enforcement. But then again, isn't it nice to keep all these murders neatly contained in the City keeping the rest of the State "safe"?
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4448
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Shows you

the risk factors in getting murdered in Baltimore city. If you are white and do not do drugs, Baltimore is fairly safe. I did not see any white murders in the downtown area. I'm sure if you are black and do not do drugs and live downtown than you are very safe also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #4449
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
the risk factors in getting murdered in Baltimore city. If you are white and do not do drugs, Baltimore is fairly safe. I did not see any white murders in the downtown area. I'm sure if you are black and do not do drugs and live downtown than you are very safe also.
Unfortunately, murders are not that accurate a way to define safety. I'm sure if you asked all the innocent people living in or near downtown who have been shot, mugged, or assaulted they would not say that downtown is VERY SAFE. They may have all survived their trip to shock trauma but that doesn't mean those crimes don't define safety.
I'm not trying to be a downer here and I don't think the level of safety here is so bad I can't live here...but if the crime level doesn't decrease significantly baltimore is not going to make it as a world class city. And we're not going to get there if we're in denial about the conditions. As people who live here and desperately want baltimore to succeed, we should all be mad as hell and make sure our officials know we find this current state unacceptable. Its not so bad that I'm gonna flee the city, but in no way am I content with level of crime around me. Claiming you are very safe if you don't do drugs is basically implying the staus quo is fine... and its not.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #4450
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
if the crime level doesn't decrease significantly baltimore is not going to make it as a world class city. And we're not going to get there if we're in denial about the conditions. As people who live here and desperately want baltimore to succeed, we should all be mad as hell and make sure our officials know we find this current state unacceptable. Its not so bad that I'm gonna flee the city, but in no way am I content with level of crime around me. Claiming you are very safe if you don't do drugs is basically implying the staus quo is fine... and its not..
well-said. i agree.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #4451
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

If you think crime is going keep Baltimore from becoming a world class city then you must be unfamiliar with Detroit, Philly and DC. Either way, Baltimore already is a world class city.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #4452
RavensFan0606

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
Unfortunately, murders are not that accurate a way to define safety. I'm sure if you asked all the innocent people living in or near downtown who have been shot, mugged, or assaulted they would not say that downtown is VERY SAFE. They may have all survived their trip to shock trauma but that doesn't mean those crimes don't define safety.
I'm not trying to be a downer here and I don't think the level of safety here is so bad I can't live here...but if the crime level doesn't decrease significantly baltimore is not going to make it as a world class city. And we're not going to get there if we're in denial about the conditions. As people who live here and desperately want baltimore to succeed, we should all be mad as hell and make sure our officials know we find this current state unacceptable. Its not so bad that I'm gonna flee the city, but in no way am I content with level of crime around me. Claiming you are very safe if you don't do drugs is basically implying the staus quo is fine... and its not.
Downtown actually is quite safe, being white and not involved in drugs will keep you out of most crimes. Probably 75% of the cities murders/violent crimes are due to drug traffic. Most also take place in only certain neighborhoods, such as the west side, cherry hill, etc. I would feel comfortable, safety wise, living Downtown, but then you have to think of the very high taxes & where to send your kids to school.
“Neighborhoods built up all at once change little physically over the years as a rule...[Residents] regret that the neighborhood has changed. Yet the fact is, physically it has changed remarkably little. People's feelings about it, rather, have changed. The neighborhood shows a strange inability to update itself, enliven itself, repair itself, or to be sought after, out of choice, by a new generation. It is dead. Actually it was dead from birth, but nobody noticed this much until the corpse began to smell.”
RavensFan0606 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #4453
slake707

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
If you think crime is going keep Baltimore from becoming a world class city then you must be unfamiliar with Detroit, Philly and DC. Either way, Baltimore already is a world class city.
I can't speak to Detroit and Philly. But I lived in Dupont Circle in DC for years, and crime in DC is very different to Baltimore. My wife would walk alone at 2am, and I would too.. I would see tons of single females walking alone at 2-3AM all around the city.. In DC you can draw a line and say, west of here safe, east of here not so safe, and draw another line and say east of that, very unsafe.. For most of Northwest, west of 14th it is safe, the further west you get, the more safe. The line has been moving east, and now extends past 14th... In baltimore, it is not the same.. there are nice areas, with bad areas nearby, with this the crime (muggings, robberies etc) bleeds into the nice areas, and that is why people don't necessarily feel like their environment is crime free even when they live in the nice areas.. In Dupont I never once felt unsafe, and never mad to consider crime.. car never broken into, car never keyed, never mugged, robbed, never felt unsafe.. every person I know living in baltimore has experienced something.. so I would say before making comparisons, realize Baltimore has to do something and now.
slake707 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4454

Anyone who says Baltimore is as safe as DC is simply delusional and I seriously doubt has ever lived in any other major city on the eastern seaboard.

A bartender at one of my favorite pubs quit this weekend. Her husband was curb-stomped and is now comatose. Two weeks ago a friend of mine had to get stitches from someone throwing a rock at his head for no reason. My friend's classmate is recovering from gunshot wounds to her legs after answering her front door. My friend moved out of Mt Vernon after experiencing his second mugging. I've been mugged... in the Inner Harbor. My friend in Canton called the cops this past Wednesday as people were scaling his back wall, kicking out his gate and stealing his scooter. I have more stories and I've lived in Baltimore for 2 years.

I lived in other cities for a total of 10 years. How many stories like these do I have? Maybe 1 or 2 mild ones. Sorry to rant, but this city has some serious problems and they must be acknowledged if they ever hope to be solved.
21230 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4455
jeremai
Grade I Listed

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
I love Baltimore after my five years there, but from somewhat of an "outsider" perspective I have to disagree about it being a world class city. Hardly anybody in Europe has heard of Baltimore, whereas everyone has heard of Detroit, Phily and DC. As has been posted many times, crime, education and transportation are Baltimore's major obstacles at present.
jeremai no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4456
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

DEW-LISHIOUS! They had the 2nd highest attendance ever in the 3 year history of the Dew National Tour, and they have committed to returning for the next two years!

SATURDAY'S FIREWORKS!

TODAY'S GOOD NEWS: Construction has started on the conversion of the Kyser Building from Class C offices to an Aloft hotel.

TODAY'S HISTORY LESSON: The round thing that is sticking out of the sidewalk in front of the scaffolding (against the plywood on the left of the picture), is an unexploded bomb from the battle of Fort McHenry. It was presented to Michael Kyser who owned the building at one time.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 25th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #4457
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

30 Floors, you seem to have scooped The Sun:

High time at the Yards
Dew Tour is a hit, drawing 54,907 for 4 days, but return is uncertain
By Patrick Gutierrez
Sun Reporter
Originally published June 25, 2007

The Panasonic Open, the first leg of the 2007 AST Dew Tour, finished its four-day run at the Camden Yards sports complex yesterday, and tour officials were uncertain whether they would return in 2008.

The event, which featured a variety of competitions with professional athletes performing on skateboards, bikes and motorcycles, made its first appearance in Baltimore, but a long-term agreement between the tour and the Maryland Stadium Authority has not been reached.

Wade Martin, president and general manager of the tour, said negotiations are continuing.

"We're in a one-year agreement, but our goal is to stay here for multiple years," Martin said. "We've still got some logistical issues to work out."

If the event doesn't return to Baltimore next year, it certainly won't be because of a lack of support, as 54,907 fans - the second-largest turnout in the 2-year-old Dew Tour's history - came out to cheer the action sports stars. Martin said he was convinced by what he had seen over the past four days that coming to Baltimore was the right decision.

[snip]
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #4458
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Naw, NBC did. I just repeated what the announcers on TV said yesterday.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; June 25th, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #4459
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

As I mentioned before....

Baltimore is becoming more and more segregated. Some folks wanted to disagree with me and that fine.

Please see the opinions on being white and being black in Baltimore mentioned above.

***this post isn't meant to cause trouble. Just pointing out an observation...

Apologies as this a topic for discusison in a different thread. Perhaps a totally different forum.

In development news, the lobby at the Verizon building should be done in November.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4460
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan0606 View Post
Downtown actually is quite safe, being white and not involved in drugs will keep you out of most crimes. Probably 75% of the cities murders/violent crimes are due to drug traffic. Most also take place in only certain neighborhoods, such as the west side, cherry hill, etc. I would feel comfortable, safety wise, living Downtown, but then you have to think of the very high taxes & where to send your kids to school.
welcome, ravensfan!!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Closed Thread