daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #4461
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

damn, L.A. has ANOTHER banner?!?!?!?!? this is the 3rd one in 2 mo's.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #4462
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I think SSC has switched to a permanent LA/Dubai banner cycle. I'm starting to forget that other cities even exist.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #4463
PeterSmith

City should consider extending trolley idea
by Steve Eldridge, The Examiner

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - Chikwe writes: “It was reported that the City of Baltimore has approved $200,000 toward an $800,000 study to determine the feasibility of bringing a trolley to the Charles-St. Paul Street Corridor that would connect the Inner Harbor to Johns Hopkins University-Homewood.

“It is being sponsored by the Charles Street Development Corp. ... to increase the connectivity and subsequent vitality of this emerging destination corridor.

“... I can ... hope the city views this as an opportunity to think beyond, Charles Street, St. Paul Street and Hopkins.

“... Could this system be expanded to go further north to Hamden, Loyola College or even Towson? I think that it is incumbent on the city to look at this project more broadly than just Charles Street, though that may certainly be a Phase I.”

The only way things like this are going to get off the ground is if private businesses help foot the bill. After all, they have a vested interest and will see the results on their bottom lines.

Planning for the expansion of the project could greatly better the chances for its success.
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4464
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

30 Floors or anyone else, do you know who's developing the Aloft Hotel?
k25150 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #4465
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

good question. and spekaing of aloft hotels, i've been wondering what's the holdup with streuver/jj clarke reveloping recreation pier.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4466
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
30 Floors or anyone else, do you know who's developing the Aloft Hotel?
AMPAC, the same goup that is doing the Jefferson at Charles and Fayette Streets. Correction, it is a Hotel Indigo NOT an Aloft. I think the Indigo is a bit nicer chain.

http://www.ampacdevelopmentgroup.com...project03.html
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #4467
mpietropaoli
ID Crisisville

Likes (Received): 0

Trader Joe's/Wegmans in 21230?

I heard a rumor about plans for Trader Joe's/Wegmans opening somewhere in Sobo...

As Wegman's was my first employer ever, and a fine company from my hometown, I usually try to stay abreast of their plans. I do know their usual store footprint alone is 100M sq.ft, WITHOUT parking. Unless Shoppers is blowing out of their lease in Southside, this may be nothing more than a rumor.

I do think it is absolutely ridiculous that the only big box grocery on the penninsula is Shoppers, with bruised apples and wilted lettuce when the median HH income in the area code is pushing six figures.

Frankly, I would classify that entire shopping center as "lowest and worst use"...I suppose that's the danger in the shopping center business, is that it was logistically impossible to underwrite the 30 year lease Shoppers probably has.
mpietropaoli no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4468

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post
I heard a rumor about plans for Trader Joe's/Wegmans opening somewhere in Sobo...

As Wegman's was my first employer ever, and a fine company from my hometown, I usually try to stay abreast of their plans. I do know their usual store footprint alone is 100M sq.ft, WITHOUT parking. Unless Shoppers is blowing out of their lease in Southside, this may be nothing more than a rumor.

I do think it is absolutely ridiculous that the only big box grocery on the penninsula is Shoppers, with bruised apples and wilted lettuce when the median HH income in the area code is pushing six figures.

Frankly, I would classify that entire shopping center as "lowest and worst use"...I suppose that's the danger in the shopping center business, is that it was logistically impossible to underwrite the 30 year lease Shoppers probably has.
The Chesapeake Paperboard Company is planning a mixed use project with apartments and retail, including an upscale grocer.
21230 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #4469

And yes, Shoppers is awful. Most people I know, including myself, drive across town to the Canton Safeway for groceries.
21230 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #4470
PeterSmith

Canton's center is getting new look
O'Donnell Square due $100,000 update
By Julie Turkewitz
Sun reporter
Originally published June 25, 2007
The centerpiece of one of Baltimore's hot waterfront neighborhoods is about to get a facelift.

O'Donnell Square, at the core of the Canton business district, hasn't had serious work done since the 1970s, and the community association thinks it's about time for a new look - particularly since the neighborhood is moving upscale.

The renovation is slated to begin this fall, according to Kia McLeod, a spokeswoman for the Baltimore Department of Recreation and Parks, and be completed by the spring. Recreation and Parks will solicit bids from contractors in September, she said.

"There is a tremendous amount of development going on," said Victoria Stewart, a member of the Canton Community Association who is helping lead the project. "If this is allowed to decline any further, people aren't going to want to come and look at dead trees."

In the past two decades or so, new condos have sprung up in Canton, trendy restaurants have opened their doors and old rowhouses have been redeveloped and topped with roof decks.

But in the neighborhood square, bricks are broken and the grass is more yellow than green. Benches have faded to a sickly beige, decorated only with duct tape. One hollowed-out stump has become a receptacle for discarded Starbucks cups and Pepsi bottles.

Recreation and Parks has designated $100,000 for the makeover of the park, which is flanked by Messiah English Lutheran Church (motto: "On the square since 1889") and a former firehouse built in 1902.

The goal is to create an upscale park, said Stewart. Weathered benches will make way for wrought-iron ones, the lawn will be resodded and the two grass ovals in the square, which currently resemble large speed bumps, will be leveled to the height of their curbs.

The community association has proposed new trees and bushes where old ones have died. A fence adorned with local maritime artifacts will go around the statue of the area's founder, John O'Donnell. He guards the square from a perch at the park's center, extending an arm as if to show off all that his neighborhood has become.

Knockout roses, known for their jazzy colors, will be planted at O'Donnell's feet and a garden will go at either end of the square. Engraved bricks, which are being sold to community members to raise money for the project, will surround the gardens.

Green movement
The renovation of the square is part of an effort in Baltimore and across the nation to inject more green space, or recreation areas, into sometimes-bleak urban landscapes. Baltimore's Parks and People, a nonprofit organization underwritten in part by government funds, will contribute $5,000 to landscape the square.

Canton grew out of O'Donnell's 18th-century plantation and gradually turned into a busy industrial neighborhood. The first Whig convention was held there in 1840, and the Enoch Pratt Free Library branch built in 1886 is still in use. Two large canning factories and several breweries set up shop.

"This was a very middle-class, hardworking neighborhood when it started," said Margie Policastri, 57, who lives in the Canton home where her father was born. She remembers a neighborhood full of German and Polish immigrants who had separate churches and spoke their own languages.

Enormous redevelopment has characterized the past 20 years or so. Property values have shot up. Policastri paid $236 in annual taxes when she bought her house in 1972; today she pays more than $2,700, she said. Younger folks came in and stripped rowhouses of the Formstone that was introduced in the 1950s. Condos were built and restaurants moved in. O'Donnell Square became the pathway for young urbanites crossing from car to bar.

The square was originally a market, which closed in the 1940s. Catherine Smertycha, 56, has lived in Canton since she was 8 and remembers the square in the 1960s when it was a concrete slab with a kiddie pool near the firehouse and a basketball court near the church.

Her husband - at that point just her boyfriend - played ball there regularly.

In the 1970s, three buildings on the square went up for sale, she said. The asking price: $30,000 for all three.

Smertycha has seen her neighborhood boom and fade and boom again. She watched Doc's Pharmacy, which sat on the square close to the church, become a coffee shop and most recently Coburn's Tavern and Grill, an Irish pub with regular DJ nights.

"For a while it seems like Canton was at a standstill," she said, "but now it's growing by leaps and bounds."

The O'Donnell Square visible today was fashioned in the late 1970s. The pool and basketball court made way for the grassy areas and brick walkways that have since fallen into disrepair.

The renovation of the square planned for the fall is a reflection of what Canton has become.

"Canton was a place you had to drive through from [Interstate 95] to get to Fells Point," said Patrick McCusker, who opened Nacho Mama's with his wife on the square 14 years ago. Since then, he's opened a second restaurant nearby. "Now it's a destination."

A lot of the prosperity has to do with development, he said, but it also has to do with the cooperation between residents and local businesses. "For a long time we've really worked together," he said.

The community association is in the process of creating an official business association so people like McCusker have a formal way to contribute to the square's upkeep.

Smertycha described Canton as a city neighborhood with a small-town family feel. She remembers when one of the local librarians was transferred to another branch, and neighbors came out to express their disapproval. "They marched and everything," she said.

But lofty property values encouraged many longtime residents to sell their homes. Some who remain in Canton say the influx of youngsters has undermined the village feel. Many couples move in, get pregnant and then head off to the surrounding counties to find different school systems, said Policastri, who remembers O'Donnell Square before anyone used that title, Now Canton is "more of a stopping ground for people who want to have a good time in their 20s and 30s," she said.

New vitality
But Smertycha said changes haven't completely stripped Canton of its neighborly feel. If anything, they have given the area new life. Stewart, who is actively shepherding the square's facelift, has only lived in Canton for four years.

The square's renovation will be a community effort. Stewart's goal is to have everything done by May, when Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc., a real estate development company that has renovated much of Canton, wants to hold a service day to landscape the park, she said. McCusker's restaurants will provide the food and drinks.

A steward program is starting up for volunteers to care long-term for the square.

"From an environmental standpoint, you just can't keep developing all the property," said Stewart, who crosses through the square several times a day. "There is so much in the city that can be reused."
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #4471
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

have we lost a hotel?

While driving north on Calvert yesterday, I notived that the "coming soon - Springhill Suites" sign at 120 E Redwood has been removed and worked seems to have stopped on the hotel conversion. Anyone have any word on this?
probaltimore no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #4472
hello345

Likes (Received): 70

What wll the legg mason tower look like?
hello345 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #4473
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

hotel part 2

Actually, disregard....the Marriott/Springhill website says they are opening in September 2007 and they are taking reservations for that location. So, good news after all.
probaltimore no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4474
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by probaltimore View Post
Actually, disregard....the Marriott/Springhill website says they are opening in September 2007 and they are taking reservations for that location. So, good news after all.
yeah, they are definitely still working. They were repaving the sidewalk this morning with fresh concrete. (You know, one of those golden opportunities to be a jackass and etch something ridiculous in concrete for posterity).

On other news, looks like the parking garage component of the VUE building (across from Whole Foods) is open. Also, the Maryland Athletic Club is slated to open on Sept 1st.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4475
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
good question. and spekaing of aloft hotels, i've been wondering what's the holdup with streuver/jj clarke reveloping recreation pier.

it turns out that the support pilings holding up the pier are in MUCH worse shape than anyone had immagined. my neighbor is an engineer working on the project...i'll ask him for updates next time i see him.

-cheers!
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #4476
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Can we just ban guns in the city now?
for the most part they are. the vast amount of crimanal gun activity is performed with handguns (as opposed to rifles of any sort). discharging a handgun in the city is a felony offense...with or without a permit. as chris rock said...it ain't the guns...its the bullets.
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4477
jpreston02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post

Chesapeake Paperboard is the place and the grocer is Harris Teeter. I can't see it opening for at least 18 months as they haven't started construction yet. And the square footage for the grocer is 55,000 sq feet.
jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #4478
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremai View Post
I love Baltimore after my five years there, but from somewhat of an "outsider" perspective I have to disagree about it being a world class city. Hardly anybody in Europe has heard of Baltimore, whereas everyone has heard of Detroit, Phily and DC. As has been posted many times, crime, education and transportation are Baltimore's major obstacles at present.

I find this a little hard to believe. I don't consider Baltimore a world class city, but to say Detroit is one is just ridiculous. DC is obviously one and I believe Philly is a great city as well. I just think Baltimore is doing much better than that quickly dying city.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #4479
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello345 View Post
What wll the legg mason tower look like?
4 Seasons in the middle, Legg Mason tower to the right.

Old June 25th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4480
Hugh Jaramillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
I find this a little hard to believe. I don't consider Baltimore a world class city, but to say Detroit is one is just ridiculous. DC is obviously one and I believe Philly is a great city as well. I just think Baltimore is doing much better than that quickly dying city.
Well Jeremai, if no one in Europe has heard of Baltimore then why is Rotterdam (the largest port in Europe if not the world) naming one of their super tall towers the "Baltimore Tower"?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  

Closed Thread