daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4481
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
As I mentioned before....

Baltimore is becoming more and more segregated. Some folks wanted to disagree with me and that's fine.

Please see the opinions on being white and being black in Baltimore mentioned above.
As the rhetoricians say, that's "argument by assertion" unless you (a) source your data and (b) stipulate what previous time you're comparing the present to (1950s, 1900s, 1850s). Of course, Census data from the 1900s or before, when some blacks lived in alley houses behind the larger houses of some wealthier whites, might suggest greater integration than today. Spatial -- though not necessarily social -- integration, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
***this post isn't meant to cause trouble. Just pointing out an observation...

Apologies as this a topic for discussion in a different thread. Perhaps a totally different forum.
Yes.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I came to this forum for info, pics, and gossip about bricks and mortar stuff in Baltimore. Often there's good stuff here that the mainstream media miss or don't have space for.

Segregation, crime, etc. are important, but I've bookmarked writers such as The Examiner's Antero Pietila (who's writing a book about how bigotry shaped the Baltimore metropolitan area) and blogs such as Baltimore Crime to keep up with those issues.

Which is the beauty of the internet: it's a huge place where segregation (of interests) is appropriate.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #4482
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Well Jeremai, if no one in Europe has heard of Baltimore then why is Rotterdam (the largest port in Europe if not the world) naming one of their super tall towers the "Baltimore Tower"?
My experience in Europe is that everyone has heard of DC (even if they didn't know anything about it other than the fact that it is the capital), while most have at least heard of Baltimore, even if they did not know anything about it. Most Britons I met and lived with at university in London last fall knew of Baltimore as a large American city. I don't think I actually encountered anyone who hadn't heard of it. I found it hard to believe that almost nobody had heard of the Chesapeake Bay, however.

One funny(ish) note: many thought that Maryland brand cookies which are made and sold in the UK (something like Nabisco's Chips Ahoy here, though they also make candy bars) were actually made in Maryland, USA.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #4483
pennster

The largest/busiest port in the world is claimed by Shanghai. Singapore is second, though they contest Shanghai's still-rising numbers. Rotterdam is a relatively distant third. Source.

Last edited by pennster; June 26th, 2007 at 12:44 AM.
pennster no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4484
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
it turns out that the support pilings holding up the pier are in MUCH worse shape than anyone had immagined. my neighbor is an engineer working on the project...i'll ask him for updates next time i see him.

-cheers!
thanks!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #4485
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Well Jeremai, if no one in Europe has heard of Baltimore then why is Rotterdam (the largest port in Europe if not the world) naming one of their super tall towers the "Baltimore Tower"?
The tower will not be a supertall. Supertall is greater than 1000ft or 300m. This tower will be like 170m.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #4486
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

For some odd reason Key Highway is a featured "did you know" article today on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #4487
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

My experiences have taught me that Europeans that come from regions from which many emigrated to Baltimore have not only heard of Baltimore, but think very highly of it. Other than that, older people are familiar with the city, but many younger people have never heard of it. My guess is that this is because Baltimore isn't on many maps.

Most Italians in Baltimore come from the same region in Italy (I think in and around Bologna), as do most Greeks. I think a good part of the Germans that came to Baltimore were also from the same region in Germany, as well. Thus, people who live in these parts of Europe know Baltimore well because they probably have family that came to Baltimore generations ago. Also, a lot of older people probably remember the days when Baltimore had a greater presence, if for nothing more than the glory days of the Orioles as America's team. But I have actually met Europeans, no lie, that could point out Boise, Idaho on a map but had never heard the name Baltimore before.

Rotterdam's tower comes from Rotterdam and Baltimore being Sister Cities. This seems to be fairly common in Europe. Hamburg has plans to erect a massive tower under the name of its favorite sister, Chicago.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #4488
HarborSky
Urban Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, Shoppers is pretty awful.
HarborSky no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #4489
HarborSky
Urban Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post
Frankly, I would classify that entire shopping center as "lowest and worst use"...I suppose that's the danger in the shopping center business, is that it was logistically impossible to underwrite the 30 year lease Shoppers probably has.

Southside Marketplace is an outdated, suburban-modeled "lifestyle center" but it's incredibly successful. I for one, can't believe they haven't already tried to redevelop it because it has SO much potential. I feel like most of the things in it (dry cleaners, bank, pharmacy...) should be out on the street where people walk and live instead of holed-up in wasteland of parking. Does anyone know who owns that property? With it's location I think those guys are sitting on a potential mixed-use goldmine.

On a sidenote, how does Radio Shack stay in business? I mean really. A whole store built on adapters and cheap gadgets? Are there that many ham radio people out there still? I don't get it.
HarborSky no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #4490
slake707

Quote:
I grew up in South Africa, and when emigrating from SA, I would tell people we were imigrating to Balimore.. the normal response was "where's that?" Followed by the response, "near Washington" ... so from that perspective it is not well known in well developed Africa
slake707 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #4491
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
My experiences have taught me that Europeans that come from regions from which many emigrated to Baltimore have not only heard of Baltimore, but think very highly of it. Other than that, older people are familiar with the city, but many younger people have never heard of it. My guess is that this is because Baltimore isn't on many maps.

Most Italians in Baltimore come from the same region in Italy (I think in and around Bologna), as do most Greeks. I think a good part of the Germans that came to Baltimore were also from the same region in Germany, as well. Thus, people who live in these parts of Europe know Baltimore well because they probably have family that came to Baltimore generations ago. Also, a lot of older people probably remember the days when Baltimore had a greater presence, if for nothing more than the glory days of the Orioles as America's team. But I have actually met Europeans, no lie, that could point out Boise, Idaho on a map but had never heard the name Baltimore before.

Rotterdam's tower comes from Rotterdam and Baltimore being Sister Cities. This seems to be fairly common in Europe. Hamburg has plans to erect a massive tower under the name of its favorite sister, Chicago.
Most Europeans I know have probably heard of Baltimore but they most likely don't associate an image with it, unlike other cities which clearly prompt an image in people's minds like NYC, San Francisco, or Washington DC.

Area you sure about Italian-Americans in the Baltimore area coming from the Bologna area ? 5 out of 6 Italians that migrated to the US were from the south and I would be surprised if there were many northerners in Baltimore. In fact, the Italian-Americans I've met here are from the center-south: I was quite surprised at the number of Abruzzesi I met in the Baltimore-Washington area.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #4492
jbrinsfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborSky View Post
Yeah, Shoppers is pretty awful.
The shoppers in Sobo just needs a good cleaning and updating.

The new store out on eastern avenue is great. I've been by on several occasions (great deals on large amounts of meat, sadly no )
jbrinsfield no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #4493
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Level of education has more to do with whether or not somebody has heard of Baltimore than geography. I have met people in the U.S. that haven't heard of Baltimore. What does that tell you?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #4494
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
There are lots of small projects going on in the Westside.

Scaffolding just went up on a beautiful cast iron front building located on the 300 block of Baltimore Street near Howard. It is directly next to the City Crescent building at the corner of Howard and Baltimore Streets. The building has a front on Baltimore Street and goes completely through the block to Redwood Street where it also has a "front". Looks like a complete restoration of both are in progress and the interior is being gutted too.

The Abell building restoration is progressing very nicely.

The Bromo Seltzer tower restoration is coming along - finally!

Almost all the retail at Centerpoint facing Baltimore Street is now occupied. A new restaurant slipped into one of the spaces unnoticed by almost everyone. It is called Salsarita's Cantina. Hippodrome Hatters took a spot too. The 300 block of Baltimore is looking good!

Personally, I get more joy out of the small beautiful buildings being redone than I do out of huge mega projects in this part of town. Some of the architecture is truly stunning! It is the scale of the area that makes it so special.
There are actually 2 buildings on that block that are being redone (right next to each other). The one with the scaffolding is moving along faster because the developer has already obtained tax credits.

Retail at Centerpoint is not doing all that great though: despite Salsarita and Seven Eleven. All of the retail spaces along Eutaw Street are vacant (except for the corner property on Eutaw and Baltimore which has a Starbucks).
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #4495
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Ive lunched at the Salsarita's often and that place is incredibly busy at lunchtime.There is definite potential at Centerpoint being between the CBD and UMB and the clientèle I see reflects both areas.Lets hope more of those spaces fill up as the Abell etc come on line.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #4496
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

More Good Dew News!

Dew times two
After near-record attendance, deal to bring tour back in MLB’s hands
LOUIS LLOVIO
Daily Record Business Writer
June 25, 2007 6:38 PM
After its second most successful weekend ever, the AST Dew Tour is expected to sign a two-year agreement with the Maryland Stadium Authority Tuesday.

MSA Executive Director Alison Asti said Monday that she hoped to have a deal securing the extreme sports tournament for 2008 and 2009 in place by close of business Tuesday.

Wade Martin, president and CEO of the AST, was not available for comment, but he told The Daily Record last week that he was already interested in returning. A good showing, he said, would solidify those feelings and erase any lingering doubts.

“We see 45,000 people as a benchmark,” he said. “It takes time to grow an event, but we’d be happy if we could get within that range.”

The four-day Panasonic Open drew nearly 55,000 people to downtown Baltimore over the weekend, second only to a Dew Tour stop in Orlando, Fla., last year that drew 59,470. The tour debuted in 2005.

The only thing that could possibly stand in the way of the Dew Tour coming back is the Orioles’ 2008 schedule, which is set to be released at the end of the 2007 baseball season.

Asti said she Monday that she had contacted team officials, asking them to request that Major League Baseball, which draws up the schedules, have the Orioles play on the road June 19-22, 2008, and June 11-14, 2009.

“The deal with the Dew Tour is contingent on the schedule,” she said.

But the MSA and the AST may not have to wait until October to find out if the days will be available. A preliminary 2008 schedule is expected to be released within a month. The Orioles will be able to request changes at that time, though they are not guaranteed to get them.

The Orioles declined to comment Monday.

The crowds this weekend, coupled with the record ticket sales for last month’s 2007 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships, go a long way toward making Baltimore a “sports destination,” said Nancy Hinds, vice president of communications for the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association.

“The more [high-visibility] events you can have and sell out shows Baltimore is a sports town,” she said.

Because announcers and promoters constantly mention the city, and television crews shoot footage of some of the nicer areas in town for the broadcasts, sporting events are free marketing, she said.

Baltimore will play host to the Army/Navy game in December at M&T Bank Stadium, and Baltimore County will play host to the Constellation Senior Players Championship in October.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #4497
urbane

The main problem apparently is that the retail spaces on Eutaw are too small for most retailers.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #4498
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I bet many Europeans never heard of Houston and Denver too. Along with Baltimore and others, they aren't spotlight cities in the eyes of the rest of the world. Baltimore suffers a lack international recognition for the same reasons it suffers from a lack of domestic recognition. Too close to DC for anyone to understand that it's not a suburb but it's own city. A larger city with it's own history, culture and personality.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #4499
urbane

This is a bit old but I see nobody has posted this:

"Affordable housing bill passes
Developers who receive city aid must provide low-cost options
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published June 12, 2007
Afraid that Baltimore's real estate might one day become as pricey as Washington's - squeezing out the working class - the City Council approved last night legislation requiring developers to include affordable housing if their projects receive city aid.

By forcing developers to include a percentage of low-cost apartments or houses in certain projects, the inclusionary housing bill attempts not only to create more affordable places but to make sure they aren't clustered in certain parts of the city.

Advertisement
The measure's passage represents a hard-fought victory for a coalition of city religious groups, urban advocacy organizations and unions that have lobbied for nearly two years.

Those advocates are quick to acknowledge, however, that the bill is less than perfect - its loopholes and insubstantial funding leave questions about how many affordable homes really will be created. They tend to call it a "first step" rather than a solution."

Rest of the article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ck=1&cset=true

Note that:

"A key aspect of the bill is that the city would compensate affected developers for any expenses. The city would offset costs by giving builders subsidies, density bonuses and cash payments from a new inclusionary housing trust fund.

With only $2 million from Baltimore's budget to fill the fund in its first year, the money likely won't go far. If the fund runs dry, developers would be exempt from the regulations."

What a farce

How low can they go just to look good in front of the electorate and be able to say that they did something about affordable housing ?

What an amazing piece of junk legislation.
urbane no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4500
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
I bet many Europeans never heard of Houston and Denver too. Along with Baltimore and others, they aren't spotlight cities in the eyes of the rest of the world. Baltimore suffers a lack international recognition for the same reasons it suffers from a lack of domestic recognition. Too close to DC for anyone to understand that it's not a suburb but it's own city. A larger city with it's own history, culture and personality.
Everyone has heard of Houston, at least because of NASA. But you are right about Baltimore not having a lot of domestic recognition either, which is something I don't really understand given all the tourists and convention business in the Inner Harbor.
urbane no está en línea  

Closed Thread