daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #4541
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Mmm-boy: that pig sher looks gud with its new lipstick!

/sarc
I hear you, but it's better than nothing. I know these last remaining clubs have withstood some adversity in the past, but I really think their days are numbered. Developers will soon see the value of Baltimore Street properties and you know what they say about money...it talks and bulls--t walks.

Think about it:

- Baltimore's burgeoning CBD 'Hotel Zone' is sprouting just 2-3 blocks away from 'The Block. ARC Wheeler's pending '10 Hotel' and David Brown's Mechanic redo can only help.

- The residents are coming!!! People are gonna start inhabiting Water Tower (one block south) and the Cordish Tower (whenever that gets going) and any smaller, above retail residential projects that may be developed. When the people come, so will the money and the amenities. People need restaurants and shops to spend money on. Those wrinkled tits only cost so much.

- Developers may actually start catering to office workers. Until I worked in the CBD, I didnt realize how tough it is to get a nice meal or a dry cleaner or a book in City Center. In addition to the the thousands of workers at BoA, Wachovia, SunTrust, Citi Financial, Stifel Nicolaus, etc., developers can also draw from all the employees in municipal center. Im sure I some developer has to be clairvoyant enough to see this.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #4542
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

They actually were not clubs. They were magazine/DVD/peep show establishments though one may have had a club in the basement at one time.

They have been working on them for about a month now. In the process, they have uncovered some very interesting signs from the 60's and 70's that had been covered over for years. One of them looks like a Peter Max original.

They are both corner buildings, so what ever they do will be an improvement. Here is one of them before work started. It streches from Baltimore Street all the way to the red building.

And from street level:

And the photo that was with the article is below.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4543
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

All good points, waj. Killer "money quote," BTW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
People need restaurants and shops to spend money on. Those wrinkled tits only cost so much.
Remind me not to drink anything while reading your posts. Spit-takes are tough on keyboards. ;-)

Two tough things about redeveloping the Block, though. (1) Nudie joints are protected by the First Amendment. If they get run out of the Block, the city'll have to find some place else for them, no? (2) With 30 Floors new digs to the south and the Benson Building occupying the northeast corner, footprints for new construction on The Block aren't great. Seems the best we can hope for is a better class of joint. Am I being too pessimistic?

P.S. Wouldn't mind seeing the Benson Building demo-ed. Bring Back Polock Johnny's!
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4544
30 Floors Up

I don't mind the Block one bit. I think it adds character to downtown - puke, piss, and all. I just wish the doormen had more teeth.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #4545
jpreston02

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
Yes indeed. I thought they were asking about the spaghetti twist of power equipment to the west. That is nasty and I would not like to live next to it.
Okay so the structures east of Kloman and along the water are all being demolished. But the substation along Clare street stays? I wouldn't want to live next to that either.

What about the concrete manufacturer at the corner of kloman and waterview? It looks like it's south of Turner's property, is that going away in the long term plan?
jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #4546
30 Floors Up

Surprise, Surprise

New Yorkers are top transit users
More than half ride subway or bus to work

By Les Christie, CNNMoney.com staff writer
June 13 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- When Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Jules Munshin sang, "The people ride in a hole in the ground," they weren't kidding about New Yorkers.

A new study says their use of public transportation dwarfs that of any other city, about 6 times as much as Chicago, which has the second most public transit commuters in the nation. About 1.9 million, or 55 percent, of New York workers commuted by subway or bus in 2005, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's latest American Community Survey. Chicago had about 294,000 public transportation commuters, or 25 percent of its 1.2 million workers.

The report covered the 50 cities with the most workers aged 16 or above. Five of the top 10 public cities, by percentage, were on the Washington to Boston corridor with Baltimore and Philadelphia residents the other frequent users.

Washington had the second highest ratio of public transit users at 37.7 percent. In no other city did the percentage rise above a third. In Los Angeles, the nation's second biggest city, only 171,639 workers, or 10.3 percent, commuted by bus or rail.

Still, that beat out such older industrial towns as Milwaukee (7.6 percent), Detroit (7.1 percent) and Indianapolis (a paltry 1.8 percent). Long-established West Coast cities such as San Francisco (32.7 percent), Seattle (17.0 percent) and Portland (13.3 percent) scored highly.

Southwestern, Southern and Mountain cities had among the lowest ratios of mass transit commuters. Only 0.4 percent of Arlington, Texas residents and 0.5 percent of Wichita, Kansas and Virginia City, Virginia, used public transportation.

My big fat American gas tax
n this era of high gas prices and heightened "green" awareness, moving commuters off the road and into public transportation can cut auto emissions, energy use and, it is hoped, global warming.

And If Mayor Mike Bloomberg gets his way, even more New Yorkers may soon be boarding trains to get to work. Bloomberg has proposed a congestion-pricing plan that will charge motorists to travel into the business district of Manhattan during peak hours. The idea is to discourage them from driving to work.

Any money raised is supposed to be applied to the subways and buses, which would help keep transit fares low - currently they are $2 for a subway ride but less with volume discounts and monthly or weekly plans.

Some cities do encourage car-pooling to reduce congestion and lessen energy use. As a result, about one tenth of all U.S. workers car pool, more than three quarters of them with just a single other occupant, according to the census study.

The study also said Mesa, Arizona (16.7 percent), Phoenix (16.2 percent) and Sacramento (15.7 percent) have the highest ratios of car-pooling commuters. In Portland, Oregon one of the major commuting methods of choice is two-wheelers. The study said more Portlanders bike to work than anywhere else - 3.5 percent of the workforce. That's about eight times higher than the national average of 0.4 percent.

Boston is the leading walk-to-work city; 13.5 percent of its residents commute by riding shank's mare, well above the 2.5 percent national average.

City State / Public transit users / % of workers
New York NY / 1.87 million / 54.6%
Washington DC / 94,260 / 37.7%
San Francisco CA / 124,738 / 32.7%
Boston MA / 80,141 / 31.7%
Philadelphia PA / 139,247 / 25.9%
Chicago IL / 293,703 / 25.3%
Baltimore MD / 48,252 / 18.9%
Seattle WA / 51,259 / 17.0%
Oakland CA / 27,114 / 16,5%
Portland OR / 34,195 / 13.3%
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4547
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

There always have been an arseload of buses in Baltimore....

Thats an extremely interesting article nonetheless.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4548
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Mmm-boy: that pig sher looks gud with its new lipstick!

/sarc
I'll never admit to paying the $15 cover charge to see the inards of the pig
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #4549
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I don't mind the Block one bit. I think it adds character to downtown - puke, piss, and all. I just wish the doormen had more teeth.
i completely agree. it adds charcter to a town. cities aren't supposed to be all glitz and spit shine. if you want that...move to orlando (the most soul-less city i've been to). besides...drunk convention guys love the block and leave their money here in baltimore!

mmmmm....pig nipples!
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #4550
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

I was looking around Struever's site recently and saw some renderings of Harbor Point that I haven't seen before. They must be recent editions because the one shows the latest version of 4Seasons and the Legg tower.

Old June 29th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #4551
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

I was just wondering about why there hasn't been much news on Harbor Point lately. Those towers look quite a bit taller than what I was expecting. They're probably just massing renderings, but looks good nonetheless. The developers really seem to be pushing the height limits that they proposed years ago. Great find, Huck.

Harbor Point really is key. Once Harbor East and Harbor Point are finished, downtown Baltimore really will have almost doubled its critical mass. These projects are so important.

Last edited by PeterSmith; June 29th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #4552
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Harbor Point

We are hoping late summer / early fall to start on Harbor Point.

Thanks,
Struever

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:03 PM
To: Struever
Subject: Re: Inquiry about job "Harbor Point Project"

My name is Tim and one of my hobbies is following Baltimore
City development. I grab dinner sometimes at Roy's and love what
Paterakis/Struever are doing downtown. Looking forward to Harbor Point
starting and was wondering when it will start?
Thanks, Tim

Heard a 260,000 sq ft office building for Morgan Stanley will break ground in August/September. Also, heard first phase will include 35,000 sq ft of retail and over 300 condo's /apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I was looking around Struever's site recently and saw some renderings of Harbor Point that I haven't seen before. They must be recent editions because the one shows the latest version of 4Seasons and the Legg tower.

fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #4553
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Is the greenspace a public park? for some reason I thought there would be more to it. I hope it doesnt end up as bland as it looks, they should atleast add that "signature art piece" we have all been looking for.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #4554
quabex

rec pier, fells point.

i talked tomy neighbor who is an engineer and was part of the devlopment consultation team on the rec pier. here's the deal with the hold up....

as it turns out, the pier itself was built on pilings that were driven through the initial sediment into soil pack, but were NOT driven down to bedrock! althought eh pier has withstood its usage for a hundred years or so, it can't hold the additional weight any development would put on it. the front portion (the building) is built on infill and is fine. the 'warehouse' behind it (jutting into the harbor) is what's at stake. the current plan is to dismantle the warehouse, drive proper support pilings, and rebuild. however, they have to "dismantle" and re-use a cetain percentage of original beams to qualify for the city historical tax credits.

thats the hold up and the story as i know it.
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #4555
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Thanks for the udpate on the pier. Does anybody have any idea when we will be getting some news on the new arena? All this NBA draft talk has got me wanting a team back in baltimore, but of course thats not going to happen until we have a sizable arena.
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #4556
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

STOP THE PRESSES

Baltimore made the banner!

Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #4557
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

WooHoo!
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4558
quabex

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! a baltimore banner!!!!!!!

it looks great...although i feel a bit short and squaty. i'll walk around hunchbacked all day today!
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #4559
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

That actually is a nice banner. Lets get another!
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #4560
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Oh my God I almost had a heart attack!! With my late-night surfing habits I'm one of the first to see the banner!!! Gorgeous!!!

micrip no está en línea  

Closed Thread