daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4601
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Seafaring art exhibit to dock in Baltimore in fall
Baltimore Business Journal - 3:05 PM EDT Friday, June 29, 2007by Julekha DashStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Baltimore will be home to an art gallery on water for five days this fall.

SeaFair, an art and antiques show aboard a 228-foot mega-yacht, will dock at the Harbor East marina beginning Oct. 31.

The yacht, called Grand Luxe, will display fine art and antiques in a 12,500-square-foot space.

"Baltimore is an ideal destination for SeaFair," said David Lester, managing partner of Expoships LLLP, the Florida developer of SeaFair, in a statement.

The Walters Art Museum and the Baltimore Museum of Art have cultivated an appreciation for fine art within the city, Lester said.

Seafair's inaugural tour will begin Sept. 25 in Greenwich, Conn. and will travel to 38 cities along the eastern seaboard for five days of invitation-only, dockside events. Other ports include Boston, Manhattan and Miami Beach during Art Basel.

The five-level yacht will feature art from more than 100 dealers from around the world in 28 galleries. The yacht also features a restaurant, sky deck bistro, open-air champagne and caviar lounge and international coffee bar.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4602
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalto1 View Post
Great Link. Thanx for posting it.
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #4603
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I like this project

and the Struever project in Brewers Hill(next to Canton) calls for 600 market rate apartments and 135,000 sq ft of retail. Struever has the most exciting projects now in the city outside of 10 Inner Harbor and 300 East Pratt.
1. Harbor East/Point
2. State Center
3. Brewers Hill
4. Charles Village Olmsted

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Great Link. Thanx for posting it.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4604
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 219

I'm sure its just a coincidence that Liverpool is today's banner, but isn't it ironic that Baltimore was yesterday's banner and Baltimore was known as the Liverpool of America?
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4605
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Read the whole article on 300 E. Pratt in the BBJ. It wasn't very long, but hotel interest is strong and they might move from 250 rooms up to 300 rooms with retail and 300 condos. Sounds like the housing market slump slowed them but they want to have approval of final design in next 6 months and begin construction in the spring or summer of 08. Encouraging news I guess.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4606
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 10

anyone see live free or die hard? i thought it was great! too bad no baltimore skyline shots just some rowhomes at night. any major a list films that have baltimore accents? maybe hairspray?
vivo no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #4607
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

actually fromm a google search looks like there may have been some more sccenes there. but which ones? one of the ones I think was when he was standing on his car.
vivo no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4608
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
I was looking at the Long & Foster Realty web page for condos in Baltimore city over $800,000 and I noticed that the Vue has one that is listed for $7 million! That would of course be a penthouse on 2 levels but then I thought who in Baltimore could afford to shell out that kind of money for a condo?
i personally know someone local who paid more than 7mil for a penthouse at the ritz. we've had this discussion in the past....there is a TON of money in baltimore. don't let yourself be fooled otherwise.
quabex no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #4609
nebunul
Basarabia e Romania

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
A little larger pic:

Like it

Timpul pentru Unire niciodată nu va veni de la sine, dacă nu-l vom face şi aduce fiecare dintre noi, cei care ne dorim Unirea cu adevărat.
“DACĂ VISUL UNORA A FOST SĂ AJUNGĂ ÎN COSMOS, EU VIAŢA ÎNTREAGĂ AM VISAT SĂ TREC PRUTUL” (GRIGORE VIERU)
nebunul no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM   #4610
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Read the whole article on 300 E. Pratt in the BBJ. It wasn't very long, but hotel interest is strong and they might move from 250 rooms up to 300 rooms with retail and 300 condos. Sounds like the housing market slump slowed them but they want to have approval of final design in next 6 months and begin construction in the spring or summer of 08. Encouraging news I guess.
very interesting. and that "4 week" announcement time period is coming soon.
1 more week, I believe. maybe we'll see some renderings soon.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM   #4611
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

baltimore pop over 1 million in 1945

http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/sub...&articleID=113

any sources to back this up?
vivo no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM   #4612
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
actually fromm a google search looks like there may have been some more sccenes there. but which ones? one of the ones I think was when he was standing on his car.
I haven't seen it yet, but saw a bunch of the filming. I know they spent a lot of time filming a scene with bruce willis standing on a car on the corner of Calvert and Fayette. They also filmed a lot of the helicopter scenes on the block that covers Redwood St, South St, and Lombard. There should be quite a few scenes that were done on two locations (Calvert and on South St.) I'd be surprised if you can't see the Munsey in some shots....
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:57 AM   #4613
jbrinsfield

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
http://www.census.gov/population/www.../twps0027.html

shows the population of the 100 largest Urban places every 10 years
jbrinsfield no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:59 AM   #4614
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Maybe wrong

but I think 300 East Pratt will go up before 10 Inner Harbor.

Quote:
very interesting. and that "4 week" announcement time period is coming soon.
1 more week, I believe. maybe we'll see some renderings soon.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM   #4615
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfield View Post
http://www.census.gov/population/www.../twps0027.html

shows the population of the 100 largest Urban places every 10 years
I know balt haD its highest census pop in 1950 of about 949k but did the pop ever go over a million?
vivo no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4616
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
I know balt haD its highest census pop in 1950 of about 949k but did the pop ever go over a million?
I know that the highest census count was the 949k in 1950. However, I believe it's entirely possible the city's population touched 1 million during the war years. The Fairfield shipyard had over 30,000 workers alone, and I think Glenn L. Martin (aircraft plant) and Sparrows Point had at least that many each. Yes I know both of those plants were actually in Baltimore County, but I'm sure lots of those workers lived in the city.

As a kid in the '50's, I remember well the barracks-like temporary housing that was still standing in the Brooklyn area (what is now Bay-Brook Park). What are now the wastelands of east and west Baltimore were densly populated then.
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM   #4617
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I know that the highest census count was the 949k in 1950. However, I believe it's entirely possible the city's population touched 1 million during the war years. The Fairfield shipyard had over 30,000 workers alone, and I think Glenn L. Martin (aircraft plant) and Sparrows Point had at least that many each. Yes I know both of those plants were actually in Baltimore County, but I'm sure lots of those workers lived in the city.

As a kid in the '50's, I remember well the barracks-like temporary housing that was still standing in the Brooklyn area (what is now Bay-Brook Park). What are now the wastelands of east and west Baltimore were densly populated then.
I think most would argue that Baltimore as too densely settled.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:29 AM   #4618
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post

The city probably did hit 1 million during the 40's before starting it's decline. What's amazing is that many some city areas had not been built yet. The population boom was a consequence of WWII; many thousands of people were ordered here to work in industries that were useful to the war effort. The high population density also had a lot to do with the fact the multi-generational households were still common. My own family history includes a guy who worked at Martin company (50,000 employees) and shared one bed with 2 other guys as paying borders in 8 hour shifts in a bedroom in a small rowhouse that also had mom, pop and 4 of their own kids who shared 2 other bedrooms and a basement. Nobody lives that way anymore. Companies like Bethlehem Steel, General Motors, Western Electric, etc had similar huge numbers of employees. At that time there wasn't much in the way of suburbs so most of these people lived in the city.

Last edited by scando; July 2nd, 2007 at 05:38 AM.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:31 AM   #4619
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but saw a bunch of the filming. I know they spent a lot of time filming a scene with bruce willis standing on a car on the corner of Calvert and Fayette. They also filmed a lot of the helicopter scenes on the block that covers Redwood St, South St, and Lombard. There should be quite a few scenes that were done on two locations (Calvert and on South St.) I'd be surprised if you can't see the Munsey in some shots....
I have not seen the movie yet, but in the trailer, at appears that they didn't wait for federal funding to bring down the JFX.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #4620
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebunul View Post
Not great, but a worthy addition to St Paul St and better than the old tower. I am curious as to how they managed to do a picture that ignores the Orleans St Viaduct that goes right by there. It does kinda loom over that area.
scando no está en línea  

Closed Thread