daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #4661
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Great shot!!
southbalto no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #4662
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

OK... onto some real development news! This from the Downtown Partnership Newsletter... (by the way.... I LOVE Sofi's Crepes!!!! A second store is such a great idea!)

Retail News

Now Open

Harborplace has added more than a dozen outdoor retail kiosks on the Inner Harbor Promenade.

Metro Gallery is now open at 1700 N. Charles Street. The location offers a gallery, music venue and cafe.

Top Notch is now open at the Gallery at Harborplace. The boutique retailer offers contemporary clothing, jeans, and T-shirts.

Coming Soon

Famous Footwear will open its first Downtown location at Lockwood Place, 600 E. Pratt Street, later this month.

Michael’s Hair Design will be moving its location to 7 E. Franklin Street from its current location at 3 E. Saratoga Street later this summer.

MV Fitness will open this fall at 1016 N. Charles Street. This is the boutique health club’s first Baltimore location.

Sofi’s Crepes will open its second Downtown location at the Women’s Industrial Exchange, 333 N. Charles Street. The crepes restaurant will be in the old luncheonette counter and plans to open this fall.

Starbucks will open three new locations Downtown over the next few months at:

300 N. Charles Street

1209 N. Charles Street

Harbor East, 800 Aliceanna Street

Urban Cellars will open at Charles Plaza, 222 N. Charles Street. The store will offer more than 1,500 wine varieties.

Wachovia Bank will open a branch at the Eden, 701 Eden Street, later this year.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4663
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JB0HEhD_Es

Great video of the proposed Charles Street Trolley in action... gives not so great shots of the dreaded cables that would have to run across the streets.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM   #4664
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Silo Point Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
Multi Housing news put out this article on silo point.

Some info from there,
If you look carefully, you'll see in the renderings that there are 5 or 6additional floors added to the current height of the tower. However, these do not appear to have been started as-of yesterday. (I apologize that I don't have an actual picture) Are these extra floors still a go, or has this project been scaled down as well?
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #4665
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
OK... onto some real development news! This from the Downtown Partnership Newsletter... (by the way.... I LOVE Sofi's Crepes!!!! A second store is such a great idea!)

Retail News

Now Open

Harborplace has added more than a dozen outdoor retail kiosks on the Inner Harbor Promenade.

Metro Gallery is now open at 1700 N. Charles Street. The location offers a gallery, music venue and cafe.

Top Notch is now open at the Gallery at Harborplace. The boutique retailer offers contemporary clothing, jeans, and T-shirts.

Coming Soon

Famous Footwear will open its first Downtown location at Lockwood Place, 600 E. Pratt Street, later this month.

Michael’s Hair Design will be moving its location to 7 E. Franklin Street from its current location at 3 E. Saratoga Street later this summer.

MV Fitness will open this fall at 1016 N. Charles Street. This is the boutique health club’s first Baltimore location.

Sofi’s Crepes will open its second Downtown location at the Women’s Industrial Exchange, 333 N. Charles Street. The crepes restaurant will be in the old luncheonette counter and plans to open this fall.

Starbucks will open three new locations Downtown over the next few months at:

300 N. Charles Street

1209 N. Charles Street

Harbor East, 800 Aliceanna Street

Urban Cellars will open at Charles Plaza, 222 N. Charles Street. The store will offer more than 1,500 wine varieties.

Wachovia Bank will open a branch at the Eden, 701 Eden Street, later this year.
All these new stores will employ at least some relatively uneducated people and give them a solid source of income, keeping them and their kids from crime. This is how crime is stopped, the almighty dollar. It has far less to do with how good the police are. Development like this is why DC's crime rate went down. At least IMO.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #4666
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
All these new stores will employ at least some relatively uneducated people and give them a solid source of income, keeping them and their kids from crime. This is how crime is stopped, the almighty dollar. It has far less to do with how good the police are. Development like this is why DC's crime rate went down. At least IMO.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #4667
House3780

I wonder if thats what plantation owners thought picking cotton would do for the slaves. Or what the fed govt thought reservations would do for native americans.

The stuff I read here is amazing.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM   #4668
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Slavery? Plantation Owners? Picking Cotton? Ummm, what the hell are you talking about pal? You are getting further and further off the subject of development as the day goes on.

B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4669
House3780

He thinks giving the poor uneducated of the city low paying jobs is going to keep them and their kids from robbing his kids.

Dont need to actually educate anyone.. just keep em busy enough to keep them just happy enough to where they dont want to revolt.

Im guessin thats what slave owners thought too.. keep em just happy enough.

These are some of the comments weve heard

It was just a homeless person (referring to a homicide)
She should just take her money and leave (referring to a woman being forced from her neighborhood)
The uneducated should work at the mall. That will lower crime.

This forum is filled with a lot of ignorance and Im glad no one here actually runs things in this city. The fact that you dont see the similarities in what I said and what he said shows your ignorance.

The fact that people here dont see how crime and education are destroying this city shows the ignorance here.

When someone claimed that Baltimore is not segregated shows the ignorance.

No one has disputed anything Ive said. You just hear things you dont like and throw a comment out there like you have a poorly stated argument, or your far from the topic.

Back it up!!! If im wrong prove me wrong!!! And if anyone else out there agrees with anything Ive said step up.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #4670
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

You, my friend, are an IDIOT. I DID NOT say it was "Just a homeless person" in refering to the death on Gay Street. Those were your words.

What I said is that the police need to go to a zero tollerance enforcment policy and ticket/search people who are breaking the law. That means enforcing quality of life street crimes, such as drinking in public, which is what was involved in the death of that homeless person. Feel free to go back in this thread to verify for yourself.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...31729&page=195
PAGE 195, POSTS 3884, 3887

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4671
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
He thinks giving the poor uneducated of the city low paying jobs is going to keep them and their kids from robbing his kids.

Dont need to actually educate anyone.. just keep em busy enough to keep them just happy enough to where they dont want to revolt.

Im guessin thats what slave owners thought too.. keep em just happy enough.

These are some of the comments weve heard

It was just a homeless person (referring to a homicide)
She should just take her money and leave (referring to a woman being forced from her neighborhood)
The uneducated should work at the mall. That will lower crime.

This forum is filled with a lot of ignorance and Im glad no one here actually runs things in this city. The fact that you dont see the similarities in what I said and what he said shows your ignorance.

The fact that people here dont see how crime and education are destroying this city shows the ignorance here.

When someone claimed that Baltimore is not segregated shows the ignorance.

No one has disputed anything Ive said. You just hear things you dont like and throw a comment out there like you have a poorly stated argument, or your far from the topic.

Back it up!!! If im wrong prove me wrong!!! And if anyone else out there agrees with anything Ive said step up.
I may get banned for this, but I have to say it:
**** YOU House3780.

First of all, you need to understand that this is a DEVELOPMENT THREAD FOR THE CITY OF BALTIMORE. Second of all, I do not appreciate being called ignorant. As a caucasian, I am truly hurt that you would say that being that you don't know me from a fly to a coochie-cutter. Your points may be valid, but they are being voiced in the wrong place. Sure, we all know about the problems with murders and crime in this city and we all know that putting a stop to it is very important, but again, it has NO place in this thread.

Normally, I only post a reply when mentioning the Orioles, but since they are currently 14 games behind the BoSox, there hasn't really been much to talk about over in the Orioles/Nationals thread. I come over here to hear development news and you go off talking about slavery and picking cotton. Get a life man! That's all I have to say.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4672
House3780

Not word for word, but that was ur initial comment and u know it man. ease up with the name callin cause u know if someone called u a slur based on ur sexuality ud b up in arms about it. Act your age.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM   #4673
House3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
I may get banned for this, but I have to say it:
**** YOU House3780.

First of all, you need to understand that this is a DEVELOPMENT THREAD FOR THE CITY OF BALTIMORE. Second of all, I do not appreciate being called ignorant. As a caucasian, I am truly hurt that you would say that being that you don't know me from a fly to a coochie-cutter. Your points may be valid , but they are being voiced in the wrong place. Sure, we all know about the problems with murders and crime in this city and we all know that putting a stop to it is very important, but again, it has NO place in this thread.

Normally, I only post a reply when mentioning the Orioles, but since they are currently 14 games behind the BoSox, there hasn't really been much to talk about over in the Orioles/Nationals thread. I come over here to hear development news and you go off talking about slavery and picking cotton. Get a life man! That's all I have to say.
The truth can hurt. And yes, its ignorance and believe me.. you didnt have to tell me ur caucasian.

AND if my comment does not belong here then why did the original comment about getting the uneducated workin at malls belong here. You dont think my comment belongs here because you dont like it. Thats pretty weak.

There are over 4600 replies in this thread and EVERYONE knows that AT LEAST 1000 of the responses in this thread have NOTHING to do with development or like mine are an opinion based response to someone elses topic/reply. So dont start picking and choosing.

I already explained why crime and education are relevant. Where is the counterargument... I see none. You hate me cause you hate the truth.

Last edited by House3780; July 3rd, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4674
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
The truth can hurt. And yes, its ignorance and believe me.. you didnt have to tell me ur caucasian.

AND if my comment does not belong here then why did the original comment about getting the uneducated workin at malls belong here. You dont think my comment belongs here because you dont like it. Thats pretty weak.

There are over 4600 replies in this thread and EVERYONE knows that AT LEAST 1000 of the responses in this thread have NOTHING to do with development or like mine are an opinion based response to someone elses topic/reply. So dont start picking and choosing.

I already explained why crime and education are relevant. Where is the counterargument... I see none. You hate me cause you hate the truth.

TITYB
southbalto no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4675
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I wonder if thats what plantation owners thought picking cotton would do for the slaves. Or what the fed govt thought reservations would do for native americans.

The stuff I read here is amazing.
Oh, right, in PC-land everyone is mentally capable of being an astrophysicist with dual PhDs from MIT and CalTech. I'm sorry, but without some kinds of jobs, some people in this world would be incapable of making ends meet. It's sad, but deal with it. If you believe in a tabula rasa then I'm point blank telling you that you are a dumb person and you just may not realize it...yet.

In some ways your beliefs are so backwards that you actually become a detriment to the causes you believe in. This is a shame because you occasionally make sense. However, I'm convinced that every time you make a good point it's just coincidental because you say so many things that something is bound to make some sense to the logical world eventually. My hypothesis gains further credibility with every passing day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post

TITYB
Seconded.

EDIT: I completely oppose the creation of a permanent underclass as you implied. However, you must realize that total social mobility is impossible to achieve. I think about it often and I've come to accept it as an unfortunate reality. Then again, the mugging of innocent people at the hands of people who can't find jobs is also an unfortunate reality; but unlike class mobility, it's a correctable problem.

EDIT #2: As to your point about the Federal government, "Native American" reservations and plantations, have you ever heard of the WPA? I see the private sector having an effect similar to that of the Federal Government during the Great Depression. I'll bet that an overwhelming percentage of crime committed in Baltimore (or anywhere) is done by unemployed or underemployed individuals. If you look at the highest crime sections of DC they're also the areas with 15% or more unemployment rates. Creating jobs and having the mass transit in place to get poverty stricken people to those jobs is the solution to the problem.

Last edited by modestproposal; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM   #4676
House3780

Email your modest proposal to the mayor and city council. See what they think about your idea. Put it in the exact words that you used. It is seriously one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard. I already know that not everyone can afford the good life.. but to call jobs in stores the savior of the uneducated and preventer of crime to your precious world is complete ignorance and THAT is what you said.

Wada quickly retracted his it was just a homeless man comment and I see in your edit that you are trying to clarify things but Im taking your original words for what they were.. ignorance.

Last edited by House3780; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #4677
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
Seconded.
I third it.

I want to personally apologize to all the forumers in this thread for that outburst, but he deserved it. I swear, I don't know who is the worst...House or that Harlem guy from three months ago.

Last edited by B'moreOrioles; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4678
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Email your modest proposal to the mayor and city council. See what they think about your idea. Put it in the exact words that you used. It is seriously one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard. I already know that not everyone can afford the good life.. but to call jobs in stores the savior of the uneducated and preventer of crime to your precious world is complete ignorance and THAT is what you said.

Wada quickly retracted his it was just a homeless man comment and I see in your edit that you are trying to clarify things but Im taking your original words for what they were.. ignorance.
I think you better go back and read it again. My original initial post was never edited and the meaing was very clear to thinking people. The 2nd comment was simply an attempt to write at a 3rd grade level so you could understand.

My parents always told me that it takes 2 to argue. The argument is now over because what ever you post, I won't respond to it. Have a good life.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4679
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

30 floors im in your party. Arguing never does any good, I just tried to add some intelligent discourse to the madness, but as I stated in my first post, it would end in no good. Im done as well. And as my man on King of Queens says, "Good Day Sir!"
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM   #4680
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

BTW very nice photo PFD
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread