daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #4681
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
OK... onto some real development news! This from the Downtown Partnership Newsletter... (by the way.... I LOVE Sofi's Crepes!!!! A second store is such a great idea!)

Retail News

Now Open

Harborplace has added more than a dozen outdoor retail kiosks on the Inner Harbor Promenade.

Metro Gallery is now open at 1700 N. Charles Street. The location offers a gallery, music venue and cafe.

Top Notch is now open at the Gallery at Harborplace. The boutique retailer offers contemporary clothing, jeans, and T-shirts.

Coming Soon

Famous Footwear will open its first Downtown location at Lockwood Place, 600 E. Pratt Street, later this month.

Michael’s Hair Design will be moving its location to 7 E. Franklin Street from its current location at 3 E. Saratoga Street later this summer.

MV Fitness will open this fall at 1016 N. Charles Street. This is the boutique health club’s first Baltimore location.

Sofi’s Crepes will open its second Downtown location at the Women’s Industrial Exchange, 333 N. Charles Street. The crepes restaurant will be in the old luncheonette counter and plans to open this fall.

Starbucks will open three new locations Downtown over the next few months at:

300 N. Charles Street

1209 N. Charles Street

Harbor East, 800 Aliceanna Street

Urban Cellars will open at Charles Plaza, 222 N. Charles Street. The store will offer more than 1,500 wine varieties.

Wachovia Bank will open a branch at the Eden, 701 Eden Street, later this year.
Thanks for posting this. Although Baltimore is a bit behind the Starbucks curve, I'm glad they're finally popping up downtown. A lack of Starbucks speaks volumes about a city.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4682
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

Baltimoreborn and RXsoccer,

Amazing how when you voice your opinion some claim you're a racist because they dont agree with you. I named most of the reasons for the high crime in the city. They are facts. Deal with it. I guess some of you are in that world of fantasy and denial I mentioned. Sadly, most of the crime is a result of race. Again, deal with it. It's black on black and black on white. Why am I a racist for pointing out facts? Don't even talk about blame because many blacks on all levels blame whites for all of their ills.

Instead of calling informed and good-hearted people racists, why don't go volunteer your time and teach these thug drug dealers and murderers about family structure, manhood, and morality.

My dad grew up in Pimlico in the 20's. It was as safe as Carroll County then. The demise of the black family and ghetto culture destroyed most of Baltimore's neighborhoods. Don't talk to me about racism. Let's talk about realism and how you hide it from it.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #4683
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Although Baltimore is a bit behind the Starbucks curve, I'm glad they're finally popping up downtown. A lack of Starbucks speaks volumes about a city.
very true. having a starbucks says a great deal about any city.

i just saw the new renderings of harborpoint from a couple of pages back. peter's right, they buildings seem to be getting taller and taller. the building to the far left in the 2nd rendering looks like it's 20+ floors. i'm wondering if this is a good thing considering the toxic issues associated with harbor point. but if this rendering stays as is, i'd be pleased with it. here's the link.......

http://www.sber.com/baltimore/harbor_point.php

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; July 4th, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4684
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post

Amazing how when you voice your opinion some claim you're a racist because they dont agree with you. I named most of the reasons for the high crime in the city. They are facts. Deal with it. I guess some of you are in that world of fantasy and denial I mentioned. Sadly, most of the crime is a result of race. Again, deal with it. It's black on black and black on white. Why am I a racist for pointing out facts? Don't even talk about blame because many blacks on all levels blame whites for all of their ills.

Instead of calling informed and good-hearted people racists, why don't go volunteer your time and teach these thug drug dealers and murderers about family structure, manhood, and morality.

My dad grew up in Pimlico in the 20's. It was as safe as Carroll County then. The demise of the black family and ghetto culture destroyed most of Baltimore's neighborhoods. Don't talk to me about racism. Let's talk about realism and how you hide it from it.

can we please drop this issue???????????? today in this thread has been hard enough, which i would say is very uncommon. it's changing the whole vibe of this thread. peoples' opinions are what they are. honestly, i'm not here to change anyone's view on NONE of these issues. their views are what they are. forumers need to stop letting their emotions get involved. let's just agree to DISagree.

now, back to our regularly scheduled development program...........

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; July 4th, 2007 at 07:43 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #4685
k25150

House, you make some good points. Some people call it arguing because they can't succesfully debate anyone with a differing opionion. They are misinformed and hang around the same like-minded people everyday.

Wada, I enjoy most of your posts but disagree with you on zero-tolerance policing. It's a waste of resources and gives cops an excuse to ignore the more serious and violent crimes.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #4686
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Baltimore & Fort Worth Unite

http://www.examiner.com/a-811925~Bal...n_tourism.html

Quote:
The two cities will market themselves as a package deal, officials said. One year businesses could choose to have their conventions in Baltimore and the next year in Fort Worth, or vice versa. In return, businesses will get discounts and bargains on hotels.
Quote:
"We are both second-tier cities struggling to compete with the bigger cities for our share of the meetings industry - absolutely," says Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Board President David DuBois. "It's David and Goliath."
I like the business logic, but is Baltimore really a second tier city? Its not New York, Philly, Chicago or LA. Vegas or now Phoenix, but we are definitly in there with Pittsburgh and Denver and some other cities I consider Major. DC ect.

Quote:
The two cities are about the same size, have similar hotel chains, are near airports, and are building convention center hotels, the officials said. Noonan thinks their differences will appeal to organizations that don't want to hit the same type of place each year for their annual meetings.
And in other news the worlds richest man is now...a Mexican? http://business.guardian.co.uk/story...rc=rss&feed=24 It seems that it is a quarterly estimate, but im not sure.~ Credit the terps board (waj you know what im talking about)
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #4687
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I like the business logic, but is Baltimore really a second tier city? Its not New York, Philly, Chicago or LA. Vegas or now Phoenix, but we are definitly in there with Pittsburgh and Denver and some other cities I consider Major. DC ect.
I don't want to talk about tiers or any sort of grading system, but Washington is the nation's 4th largest economy (without any portion of the Baltimore MSA) and has twice as many people as Baltimore (if anyone cites city proper population they are ignorant). I don't believe Baltimore is not in Washington's league (Baltimore is clearly a very major city), but to say Washington is in a group with Pittsburgh, Denver and Baltimore rather than a group with NYC, LA and Philly is highly insulting to DC and completely misguided.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #4688
k25150

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
I don't want to talk about tiers or any sort of grading system, but Washington is the nation's 4th largest economy (without any portion of the Baltimore MSA) and has twice as many people as Baltimore (if anyone cites city proper population they are ignorant). I don't believe Baltimore is not in Washington's league (Baltimore is clearly a very major city), but to say Washington is in a group with Pittsburgh, Denver and Baltimore rather than a group with NYC, LA and Philly is highly insulting to DC and completely misguided.

Not sure about that. I think the Balt/DC area is the 4th largest area.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #4689
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Not sure about that. I think the Balt/DC area is the 4th largest area.
Pretty sure DC is the fourth largest economy, but not the fourth largest in population.
HAudidoody no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #4690
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 1

DC itself has the fourth largest economy, with Baltimore it has the third. Population together they are the fourth largest city in the US.

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #4691
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
very true. having a starbucks says a great deal about any city.

i just saw the new renderings of harborpoint from a couple of pages back. peter's right, they buildings seem to be getting taller and taller. the building to the far left in the 2nd rendering looks like it's 20+ floors. i'm wondering if this is a good thing considering the toxic issues associated with harbor point. but if this rendering stays as is, i'd be pleased with it.
I didn't think the chromium problem effected the height but by the proximity to Fells Point. The main pollution problem is that they can't have basements and whatever is built should be sealed at the ground level so the inhabitants are not exposed to hexavalent chromium, a pollutant from Hell. It appears that each year the height seems to be creeping closer to Fells Point. I do wonder about construction workers who do the excavation. I wonder if they will have to wear some sort of "space suit".
scando no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #4692
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoutz View Post
DC itself has the fourth largest economy, with Baltimore it has the third. Population together they are the fourth largest city in the US.
According to Infoplease, Baltimore-DC-NVA, with 7.6 million, comprises the 4th largest metro, after NY/NJ/Conn, LA and Chicago. The San Francisco Bay area (7.1 million) is hard on our heels but we're still ahead.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4693
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
According to Infoplease, Baltimore-DC-NVA, with 7.6 million, comprises the 4th largest metro, after NY/NJ/Conn, LA and Chicago. The San Francisco Bay area (7.1 million) is hard on our heels but we're still ahead.
Growth in both Baltimore and Washington has actually stepped us up to about 8.5 million now. Meanwhile, the Bay Area has been pretty much stagnant. BRAC will ensure our explosive growth continues.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #4694
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
I got this one Saturday night from Camden Yards...sorry I didn't get more of it in the shot.

I love this shot! Remember just 2 -3 years ago half of that corner was empty. Now it is as urban as urban can be.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #4695
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
I third it.

I want to personally apologize to all the forumers in this thread for that outburst, but he deserved it. I swear, I don't know who is the worst...House or that Harlem guy from three months ago.
my vote goes to harlem
gohorns no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4696
jeremai
Grade I Listed

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JB0HEhD_Es

Great video of the proposed Charles Street Trolley in action... gives not so great shots of the dreaded cables that would have to run across the streets.
That's a really cool video. Not sure if everyone noticed there's another version of it with a modern vehicle option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0i8bibLZv8

I prefer the modern option; it looks more like a serious transit system than a tourist attraction. The vehicle looks bigger, although I'm not sure if there's actually any difference in capacity.
jeremai no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4697
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:

You don't even have to go as far back as the 20's. In the late '60's, when I was in school, I had a job that required me to extensively travel the streets of West Baltimore..and I did it without fear. Now, I wouldn't dare enter some of these areas even in broad daylight.

We have had servicemen come home from overseas only to get murdered on the streets of Baltimore. I believe that, just as the insurgents do in Baghdad, the thugs really have control of large areas of this city. There is no respect for people or for life.

I don't know what the answer is...and I fear I won't live long enough to witness a solution.
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4698
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I didn't think the chromium problem effected the height but by the proximity to Fells Point. The main pollution problem is that they can't have basements and whatever is built should be sealed at the ground level so the inhabitants are not exposed to hexavalent chromium, a pollutant from Hell. It appears that each year the height seems to be creeping closer to Fells Point. I do wonder about construction workers who do the excavation. I wonder if they will have to wear some sort of "space suit".
It is my understanding the Fells Point height restriction starts at Caroline Street and to the East. There is more than enough other land to build on. It seems to be not a smart move to build on this toxic wasted site with the only thing protecting you is a thin layer of clay that they are going to punch holes in the run all the underground stuff needed for habitation.
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4699
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I don't know what the answer is...and I fear I won't live long enough to witness a solution.
You probably will; you may even be part of the solution. One part of the solution is refusing to be cowed by the bastards. Mt. Vernon resident William Henry Welch, one of the founders of Hopkins Medical School and "the undisputed leader of American scientific medicine," took that attitude.

"The night before the Norris murder, a member of [the University] Club [on the NE corner of Charles and Madison] was held up in front of the home of Mr. Haxall, on St. Paul Street, by Socoloff, one of the four convicted in the Norris murder. A few days afterwards, Dr. Welch was joking ... about his having been held up, and the member retorted, 'You who are walking around these streets at all hours of the night and early morning had better be more careful or the bandits will get you.' And Dr. Welch rejoined: 'But I never go home until after the bandits have gone to bed.' "*

This was in 1931. Welch was 81.

*"William Henry Welch and the Heroic Age of American Medicine" 1941 Simon Flexner and James Thomas Flexner p. 445
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #4700
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

I'll just post the link to this article since it is pretty long and not all that exciting, but I wanted to mention it here because I couldn't believe people would actually accuse those kiosks of blocking views. Those things are only slightly bigger than the average person. If Andre the Giant was standing there, your view would be blocked more than by those kiosks. "Views" have become that final, last effort point that critics make for just about everything in this town. Pretty soon we'll be fighting crime with the idea that drug dealers block views of our street corners.

Retail kiosks sprout up at Harborplace
Critics say they're illegally on public parkland and block foot traffic, views
By Edward Gunts
Sun reporter
Originally published July 4, 2007

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...home-headlines

PeterSmith no está en línea  

Closed Thread