daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #4701
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Back to development news, that shot of the Zenith is awesome. What a great picture.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this (I could be way behind) but a similar sign to the one sitting at 300 E Pratt is now up at the 10 IH location. Not sure if that is new or not but at least it signals that the parking lot could disappear soon.
sdeclue no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4702
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

is it me, or do we all feel a bit slighted that every other country gets a big banner celebration on their independence day, and the states doesn't? granted, our capital city is todays banner, but no mention of the celebration of the worlds oldest government?
quabex no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #4703
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
is it me, or do we all feel a bit slighted that every other country gets a big banner celebration on their independence day, and the states doesn't? granted, our capital city is todays banner, but no mention of the celebration of the worlds oldest government?
Haven't you heard, the United States is the Nazi Germany of our time? We're evil people who invade everyone and we are a clearly negative force in the world.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #4704
Northern
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremai View Post
That's a really cool video. Not sure if everyone noticed there's another version of it with a modern vehicle option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0i8bibLZv8

I prefer the modern option; it looks more like a serious transit system than a tourist attraction. The vehicle looks bigger, although I'm not sure if there's actually any difference in capacity.
Yeah, the modern version is more appealing to me as well. These trolleys are manufactured by a Chech company Skoda, which is owned by VW. It seems that their trolleys are already being used in Portland and San Fran:

Old July 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #4705
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
Haven't you heard, the United States is the Nazi Germany of our time? We're evil people who invade everyone and we are a clearly negative force in the world.
yeah...thats us.. "accept democracy or we'll force it on you!"

cheers.
quabex no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #4706
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

"but no mention of the celebration of the worlds oldest government?"

Yeah, I think we should have a Tynwald banner today too...or perhaps you meant the UK or Vatican?
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4707
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
yeah...thats us.. "accept democracy or we'll force it on you!"

cheers.
I was being completely sarcastic. I think the United States is the greatest country on the world.
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #4708
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i would have to agree in some ways.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #4709
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
but no mention of the celebration of the worlds oldest government?
I think our friends in the UK might get a little offended.
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #4710
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I think our friends in the UK might get a little offended.
ok kids...quick history lesson. just because a country is older than the states doesn't mean its government is. our country's founders signed a declaration of independence against a monarchy lead by a king. the uk is no longer a monarchy. they have citizens that vote in a democratic fashion with houses of parliment to debate, discuss, and balance the leadership. the u.k.'s governmental system was drawn up in a mirrow to our own. although they've kept their royal family as a figure head, governmental decisions, and the country's real leader is their prime minister.

if my memory serves right, france is the worlds second oldest government. their current government has been in place since the bastile fell. but i'm a bit hazy on my french history.
quabex no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4711
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

I'll keep it simple...

Happy 4th of July to All!!
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #4712
Huck

Quote:
ok kids...quick history lesson. just because a country is older than the states doesn't mean its government is. our country's founders signed a declaration of independence against a monarchy lead by a king. the uk is no longer a monarchy. they have citizens that vote in a democratic fashion with houses of parliment to debate, discuss, and balance the leadership. the u.k.'s governmental system was drawn up in a mirrow to our own. although they've kept their royal family as a figure head, governmental decisions, and the country's real leader is their prime minister.

if my memory serves right, france is the worlds second oldest government. their current government has been in place since the bastile fell. but i'm a bit hazy on my french history.

Normally I wouldn't lash back, but the quote "ok kids...quick history lesson," followed by a rather simplistic description of both American and English history compels me to explain myself... Also it is the 4th of July.

I don't know where to begin... You are confusing government with a constitution. The UK has no written constitution, its government evolves over time.

England's monarchy began to be limited when King John was forced to sign the Magna Carta in 1215. From that point on the power of the English monarch has been waning. By the 1640's, Parliament was strong enough to launch a war against the king (Charles I), win, and chop his head off (1649). Parliament put A King (Charles II) back on the throne in 1660, the Restoration. In 1688, another Stuart king, James II was forced off of the throne and fled to France, the Glorious Revolution. Parliament invited William and Mary to the throne to replace him. With them came the English Bill of Rights, about 100 years before our bill of rights. George III great grandfather was again invited by Parliament to ascend the throne in 1714 when the Stuart's line died out without any suitable heirs.

Here's the 4th of July link. The simplistic notion that the colonists broke away from Britain because they wanted freedom from a mean and absolute monarch is absurd. They were pissed because the British government, i.e. monarch AND Parliament, were not respecting their rights as ENGLISHMEN... "Taxation with out representation is Tyranny."

So, if the American government is older than the UK, at what point did today's UK government start? At no point in English History, since the Battle of Hastings in 1066, has a new government begun. It has just been a slow evolution to its present state.

Sorry to vent, but no one disses my knowledge of English and American with out a challenge right back from me!

By the way I will spare everybody French history, but France is on its 5th republic since 1789. This one dates all the way back to 1958.
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #4713
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

These are tacky. I was hoping all of them would look like the larger wood trimmed ones I saw near West Shore Park.

These are trashy.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #4714
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

I agree completely. These look completely out of place and inappropriate for the location. But mall owners (I'm sure Harborplace's landlord is behind these) are looking for any source of new income. Most people would be shocked to know what a kiosk costs inside a mall. In Westfield Annapolis, depending on the time of year and type of business, they run from 1K to 8K...per month!! A tough row to hoe for an independant vendor, but some are successful.
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #4715
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Huck, what about religion as one of the reasons they fled England?
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #4716
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

Normally I wouldn't lash back, but the quote "ok kids...quick history lesson," followed by a rather simplistic description of both American and English history compels me to explain myself... Also it is the 4th of July.

I don't know where to begin... You are confusing government with a constitution. The UK has no written constitution, its government evolves over time.

England's monarchy began to be limited when King John was forced to sign the Magna Carta in 1215. From that point on the power of the English monarch has been waning. By the 1640's, Parliament was strong enough to launch a war against the king (Charles I), win, and chop his head off (1649). Parliament put A King (Charles II) back on the throne in 1660, the Restoration. In 1688, another Stuart king, James II was forced off of the throne and fled to France, the Glorious Revolution. Parliament invited William and Mary to the throne to replace him. With them came the English Bill of Rights, about 100 years before our bill of rights. George III great grandfather was again invited by Parliament to ascend the throne in 1714 when the Stuart's line died out without any suitable heirs.

Here's the 4th of July link. The simplistic notion that the colonists broke away from Britain because they wanted freedom from a mean and absolute monarch is absurd. They were pissed because the British government, i.e. monarch AND Parliament, were not respecting their rights as ENGLISHMEN... "Taxation with out representation is Tyranny."

So, if the American government is older than the UK, at what point did today's UK government start? At no point in English History, since the Battle of Hastings in 1066, has a new government begun. It has just been a slow evolution to its present state.

Sorry to vent, but no one disses my knowledge of English and American with out a challenge right back from me!

By the way I will spare everybody French history, but France is on its 5th republic since 1789. This one dates all the way back to 1958.
I'd also like to add that neither Great Britain nor the United States are the first country to reject monarchic rule. Iceland had a complete parliament almost 300 years before the British signed the Magna Carta. The Althing has been convening continuously for well over 1000 years.

Also, Great Britain was clearly a huge influence on the creation of our American government/constitution. They are one of the most well known innovators of the notion of people governing themselves rather than being governed by a monarch. The United States keeps a copy of the Magna Carta in the US Capitol Rotunda, right next to 4 paintings depicting America's struggle for independence from Great Britain (including one depiction of the signing of the DofI).
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #4717
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I agree completely. These look completely out of place and inappropriate for the location. But mall owners (I'm sure Harborplace's landlord is behind these) are looking for any source of new income. Most people would be shocked to know what a kiosk costs inside a mall. In Westfield Annapolis, depending on the time of year and type of business, they run from 1K to 8K...per month!! A tough row to hoe for an independant vendor, but some are successful.
i agree also. these booths are garbage. doesn't fit in with the location at all.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #4718
Huck

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
I'd also like to add that neither Great Britain nor the United States are the first country to reject monarchic rule. Iceland had a complete parliament almost 300 years before the British signed the Magna Carta. The Althing has been convening continuously for well over 1000 years.

Also, Great Britain was clearly a huge influence on the creation of our American government/constitution. They are one of the most well known innovators of the notion of people governing themselves rather than being governed by a monarch. The United States keeps a copy of the Magna Carta in the US Capitol Rotunda, right next to 4 paintings depicting America's struggle for independence from Great Britain (including one depiction of the signing of the DofI).
Yea! You had a great US History teacher or American Government Teacher at some point. Our whole legal system, which is what I think you are alluding to, is based on English Common law. Something we never gave up... until recently. That is why you recently hear people passionately talking about concepts such as habeus corpus.
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #4719
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:

In case you didn't know Britain already had a parliament before the American Revolution, it's just that the inhabitants of the colonies weren't represented in it well and the monarchy's powers were already limited by the Magna Carta. And no, France can't be the second oldest government given that they are already in their 4th or 5th republic now.

Edit: Ok, I see several ppl preceded me
urbane no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4720
Huck

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Huck, what about religion as one of the reasons they fled England?
True. But the most celebrated colonists seeking religious freedom were the Pilgrims and Puritans. They set up far more strict and draconian religious laws than any other colony. They brought us the Salem witch trials and the banishment of anyone who disagreed with the religious beliefs of those in power. (see Anne Hutchinson and Roger Williams). Maryland was originally set up as a Catholic colony, but when more Protestants showed up more than Catholics, the Toleration Act was enacted (which is why we are called the Free State). BUT the toleration act wasn't too tolerant. It excluded anyone who wasn't Christian... which actually made it harder in this colony for Jews than most other colonies... not very tolerant, huh?

Religious tolerance in this country is yet another myth... Look at the Irish immigration in the 1840's. They were vilified for being Catholic. Same thing for the Italians later on. Hell, JFK was grilled in 1960 for being Catholic. Religion was used as the excuse for extermination of Native Americans, it was used for the horrible treatment of Chinese Immigrants who helped build the railroads. Hell the worst case is the use of the Bible to forgive the enslavement and/or the extermination of countless Africans in this country and in Latin America.

oops, I'm back on my soap box. Darn.

Closed Thread