daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #4801
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Time for some more brainstorming...just what DO you do with an old Roman temple?

Well, if not a JHU center, institute, or affiliate, maybe a special collection in their library system.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #4802
GodricVT

Likes (Received): 0

I'm new here so I probably missed it, or perhaps no one is interested, but Enoch Pratt is building some pretty interesting buildings these days. The new Southeast Anchor Library in Highlandtown looks better than I thought it would:

It now has big lettering on the top of the brick-colored section that ameliorates some of that broad solid space.

The new Orleans Street Branch is wild. It's a replacement for the Broadway Branch that they just closed, presumably due to its impending demolition for Hopkins related construction. The new branch is fairly small and in form looks a bit like a 1960s elementary school. It's very modern and the main block is brightly colored- panels of irregular width yelow, red, and black that look like books on a shelf. Cho Benn Holback is responsible for the design, but I can't find any images anywhere. I'll try to take one today.

With those two new buildings and the work that the Patterson Park CDC is doing around Library Square, it seems like things are changing for the better in and around the library system for the first time in a long time. I think the Hampden Branch was rehabbed last year too.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #4803
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
I'm new here so I probably missed it, or perhaps no one is interested, but Enoch Pratt is building some pretty interesting buildings these days. [snip]
Reno of the Roland Park Branch is moving along as well ... though a couple years behind the original deadline.

Old July 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #4804
jamie_hunt

Ach. DC floated to the top again. Post, darn you. Post!
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #4805
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

The library in Highland town doens't IMOP seem to fit into it's environs very well.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4806
GodricVT

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
The library in Highland town doens't IMOP seem to fit into it's environs very well.
Yeah, no formstone!
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4807
jamie_hunt

Woulda been cool if it coulda included at least the facade of The Grand

where the big stretch o' glass along Conkling is.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #4808
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

this place has slowed to a crawl................

Were is the news on 10 and 300???
southbalto no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #4809
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

If there is anything that doesn't fit the Highlandtown environs it's the R2D2 mailbox.
image hosted on flickr

Nothing looks like anything else in that stretch of Eastern Ave, so by looking different it actually fits, in my opinion. The old branch was in a store front that looked circa 1966, so I think it's a huge step up aesthetically.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #4810
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

BDC: More mediation, less 'quick take' to be used in property disputes

The Baltimore Development Corp. will be turning more to mediation as a way to settle condemnation disputes, its top official said Wednesday.

M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the BDC, said mediation will be used to avoid long and costly court cases. The BDC recently settled two condemnation protests over the value of properties obtained through "quick take," a controversial procedure that has sparked property rights debates -- and legal challenges -- here and in other places.

The city's Board of Estimates approved the settlements Wednesday.

"In both cases, that's a happy outcome without the whole trial," Brodie said. "I like it and I hope we'll be doing more."

The BDC settled with George Valsamaki, the owner of Magnet Bar on North Charles Street, on June 25 for $365,000. Valsamaki had challenged the BDC in the Baltimore City Circuit Court for its use of the rapid condemnation process known as "quick take."

The city paid $165,000 for the property. The court ruled in favor of Valsamaki. The BDC appealed, and the Court of Appeals upheld the Circuit Court decision in February.

The BDC negotiated another North Charles property's settlement for $222,000. The property was valued at $154,000 for the quick take condemnation process.

Brodie said several other mediations are being lined up to settle disputes.

City Solicitor George Nilson said mediations have always been pursued as an option for settlements. The city's legal department has recently focused more on negotiations, he said, which can take less than half the time of a court case.

Mediation is a voluntary process, with a third party overseeing the negotiations. Nilson said the mediators are often retired judges.

Nilson said the city will still use quick take in appropriate situations, but will continue to take a close look at each eminent domain case after the Maryland Court of Appeals rebuked the BDC's use of the condemnation process, calling it unjustified.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4811
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Gotta to get us ahead of DC, so I thought of something that would be great for Baltimore. The Apple Store. I am sure they are in other cities, but the new Apple Store on 5th Ave between 58th & 59th (NYC) is a big hit. The store has plenty of ipods, iphones, computers and other fun stuff for the tech-savvy to play with. The place is always jammed and is open 24/7. It never closes, so there are concerts and other activities to entertain late-night geeks. I don't know the square footage but its quite big. You enter by descending a glass elevator, or you can go down frosted-transparent stairs. Once down there its a huge expanse.

Can you imagine what this would do in the IH? The is becoming a destination in its own right.

No, I don't work there nor do I own stock in the place, just had fun tinkering with the stuff.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #4812
southbalto

I too would really like to see some higher end stores downtown. I think a city has arrived when there's support for Puma, Diesel, Restoration Hardware, Lacoste, nautica stand alone stores.

Oh and we need an HSBC while we're at it.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #4813
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

<shameless bumpage>
cgunna no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4814
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Gotta to get us ahead of DC, so I thought of something that would be great for Baltimore. The Apple Store. I am sure they are in other cities, but the new Apple Store on 5th Ave between 58th & 59th (NYC) is a big hit. The store has plenty of ipods, iphones, computers and other fun stuff for the tech-savvy to play with. The place is always jammed and is open 24/7. It never closes, so there are concerts and other activities to entertain late-night geeks. I don't know the square footage but its quite big. You enter by descending a glass elevator, or you can go down frosted-transparent stairs. Once down there its a huge expanse.

Can you imagine what this would do in the IH? The is becoming a destination in its own right.

No, I don't work there nor do I own stock in the place, just had fun tinkering with the stuff.
The Apple Store in Bethesda is a huge hit as well.

You guys gotta quit it with the bumping. It's ridiculous.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #4815
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Gsol - That store isn't too far from Bergdorf's, right? If so, I've been there. It's impressive, but niche. The design is nice, but its far too congested downstairs for me.

southbalto - I agree with you. I think higher end stores are coming. It'll take time. IIRC, Banana Republic and J. Crew are opening in Harbor East at the retail level of The Vue. I think other stores will follow.

cgunna - why are we bumping threads?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4816
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
You guys gotta quit it with the bumping. It's ridiculous.
Yes. It is.

But it's also the middle of July in sweltering Baltimore. The sane and able have left for the beach. There just ain't gonna a be a ton of skyscraper news for a while.

So we bump.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4817
southbalto

My home town:

http://baltimore500k.com/
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4818
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

WTH is this bumping ridiculousness? Say something worthwhile man!
pennster no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #4819
southbalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
WTH is this bumping ridiculousness? Say something worthwhile man!

I guess nobody wants to discuss Baltimores foray into big league auto racing.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #4820
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Gsol - That store isn't too far from Bergdorf's, right? If so, I've been there. It's impressive, but niche. The design is nice, but its far too congested downstairs for me.

southbalto - I agree with you. I think higher end stores are coming. It'll take time. IIRC, Banana Republic and J. Crew are opening in Harbor East at the retail level of The Vue. I think other stores will follow.

cgunna - why are we bumping threads?
Bergdorfs? Wow! you have some excess $. Yes, its right across the street in the building below FAO Schwarz. It used to be the GM Building.
Gsol no está en línea  

Closed Thread