daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4821
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Didn't we arlready try the high end store thing and it failed miserably? It was in the Galleria across from Harborplace under/ next to the Renaissance Hotel.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4822
GodricVT

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Gotta to get us ahead of DC, so I thought of something that would be great for Baltimore. The Apple Store. I am sure they are in other cities, but the new Apple Store on 5th Ave between 58th & 59th (NYC) is a big hit. The store has plenty of ipods, iphones, computers and other fun stuff for the tech-savvy to play with. The place is always jammed and is open 24/7. It never closes, so there are concerts and other activities to entertain late-night geeks. I don't know the square footage but its quite big. You enter by descending a glass elevator, or you can go down frosted-transparent stairs. Once down there its a huge expanse.

Can you imagine what this would do in the IH? The is becoming a destination in its own right.

No, I don't work there nor do I own stock in the place, just had fun tinkering with the stuff.
There's an Apple Store in the Towson Town Center, IIRC. I do think it would do well in the Inner Harbor though. They're sort of a combination destination/foot traffic kind of store, so it would work as well in a touristy area as it does in a mall.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4823
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
I guess nobody wants to discuss Baltimore's foray into big league auto racing.
Pretty slick web marketing by Precision Auto Care, Inc., franchisers of Precision Tune (though it has that "trying to seem authentically Baltimore but not quite getting there" feel ... like the new release of "Hairspray") ... wonder if the Baltimore500 is a test for regional campaigns around the country?

Anyone see "Live Free or Diehard"? Previews hint at some decent skyline shots of Baltimore.

Bump, baby, bump.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4824
GodricVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post

City takes proactive approach to its past
Board considers 5 more properties for preservation

By Jill Rosen, Sun reporter, Originally published July 9, 2007

• Riverside Park: The park, along East Randall Street in South Baltimore, played a role in the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1812, providing a key vantage point that helped prevent the British from sneaking past Fort McHenry and entering the peninsula. The park began as 3 acres in 1862, originally called Battery Square. The city changed the name in 1873 and added another 14 acres. The park is also known for its Victorian touches, including the pavilion and the entranceways.

• Bolton Square: Residents requested that 35 brick townhouses within the Bolton Hill historic district be nominated for landmark status on their 40th anniversary. In 1969, the modern brick rowhouses designed by Hugh Newell Jacobsen won the American Institute of Architect's national honor award for design

• Union Baptist Church: The Gothic Revival church on 1219 Druid Hill Ave. has been at the center of Baltimore's African-American community since the 1800s - even though the current building was dedicated only in 1905.

The Rev. Harvey Johnson, the pastor there from 1872 to 1923, was a civil rights leader who co-founded the city's branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and was also involved in the beginning of the national civil rights movement. More recently, pastor Vernon Dobson, along with Parren J. Mitchell, used the church to stage an effort to get African-Americans elected to public office in the city.

• American Brewery: One of the last and best examples of the 60 breweries that proliferated across the city from the late 1800s until Prohibition, it was built by brewer John F. Wiessner and Sons in 1887. The brewery is known for its distinctive towers, windows and brickwork, an eclectic style that some call "high Victorian." "It's probably one of the most unique brewery buildings still around in the country," Shoken says.
Yesterday CHAP passed these four city landmark nominations on to the Planning Commission, which must then pass them to the City Council for final designation. The Scottish Rite Temple issue was tabled to give the Masons a little more time to respond to the nomination. I imagine it will be taken up again next month.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #4825
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Anyone see "Live Free or Diehard"? Previews hint at some decent skyline shots of Baltimore.
yeah, i loved that movie. cars launching on pads to blow up helicopters? SUVs blowing up in elevator shafts? yep, bruce willis really outdid himself. i'd recommend anyone to go see it.

the shots of the city where excellent. the "back-and-forth" scenes between baltimore & d.c. were great. they did the same thing with the two cities in the movie "enemy of the state".
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #4826
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Hey guys. Computer has been on the fritz lately. Better now.

Here is some interesting news I received in a recent e-mail. I e-mailed the Cordish Company concerning the article in the Sun that reported their 701 East Baltimore Street tower project being reduced in scale.

David Cordish's responce:

Steve,

If you believe what you read in The Sun, Lord help you.

David Cordish

Sounds encouraging to me. Like the project has NOT been reduced in any way.
Steve,

If you believe what developers say, Lord help you.

30 Floors Up

How many grand plans have been proposed, talked about as fact, and STILL AREN'T BUILT? Cityscape, Rec. Pier, Light Street, Arena, Grand Hyatt, etc...... Aren't we supposed to be bowling in 2007? Hmm. A bit behind schedule huh?

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 12th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #4827
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Maybe what we need is a buyer who has an old fraternal organization with mysterious beginnings, a quiet, well heeled membership that needs a building for ceremonial purposes....oops, we have that. So JHU won't want it for a theater, BMA won't divide their collection, Guilford won't want anything loud that uses up their parking...the options are slimming. Time for some more brainstorming...just what DO you do with an old Roman temple?
A high end disco. We'll insulate well. I'll call my people.

~~~~

I stumbled upon The Municipal Employee's Credit Union's grand opening yesterday at Redwood and Light Streets. I say that because I thought they were just getting started with the rehab. Instead, they are just finishing up. The ceiling and space looks great! Entrance on Redwood Street. Looks like the whole 1st floor of the building, including elevators and lobby, has been redone. They don't build them like this any more folks!

~~~~~

City settles on 2 disputed sites in Charles North
Doubled offers satisfy owners

By Jill Rosen
sun reporter
Originally published July 12, 2007

Stalled plans to energize Baltimore's Charles North area are back on track after city officials settled yesterday with two property owners who contested the seizure of their buildings. The city essentially doubled its original offers in both cases - one of which made headlines this year when the challenge resulted in the state's highest court forcing the city to change its long-standing economic development strategy.

Baltimore's Board of Estimates approved payments to the owner of what used to be the Magnet bar and package-goods shop at 1924 N. Charles St. and to the owner of a vacant building at 1820 N. Charles. George Valsamaki, who owned the Magnet for 32 years, challenged the city's "quick-take" seizure of the bar last year. In February, Maryland's Court of Appeals ruled that Baltimore had no good reason to take the bar and sharply criticized the city's quick-take policy, saying officials have used it to "run roughshod over the owners of private property."

It was the first successful quick-take challenge. Almost immediately afterward, the high court also faulted the city's similar seizure of the former Chesapeake restaurant, another property in the Charles North area. Though the city originally offered Valsamaki $140,000 for his three-story building, yesterday he was awarded $365,000.

Charles Dodson, who owned 1820 N. Charles, was originally offered $121,700, but yesterday the city agreed to pay him an additional $100,300. In both settlements mediators worked with the property owners and city officials. Valsamaki's attorney, John C. Murphy, said his client was happy with the settlement and the further-reaching effects of his challenge. "This was a very profitable property. It doesn't look like much, but it was a liquor store and bar that had a strong income stream," Murphy said. "It had a value beyond the normal building. And I think that was recognized."

City Solicitor George Nilson also thought the payout was fair.

"We would have preferred to buy it for a little less, and I'm sure he would have liked to get a little more. But we wouldn't have settled if we didn't think it was fair," Nilson said. Condemnation appraisals typically take only the property into account, not the value of a business. That's partly why Valsamaki's ultimate payout was so much higher than the initial offer, Nilson said.

By condemning the Magnet, 1820 N. Charles and 17 other Charles North properties, Baltimore officials aimed to assemble sizable tracts to entice developers. The goal was revitalizing the depressed area between Mount Vernon and Charles Village along the busy Charles Street corridor - an area city officials are trying to turn into an arts and entertainment district.

Paul Dombrowski, Baltimore Development Corp.'s director of planning and design, said yesterday that the settlements will enable the city to move ahead with the plan. He said the city's economic development agency hopes to get the titles to the two properties by the end of the month and possibly offer those sites - combined with others nearby - to developers by the end of this year.

Altogether the city hopes to assemble three development sites in Station North. The Chesapeake is still in litigation. "We're pleased to see things moving forward," Dombrowski said, adding that the city would like to see homes and shops built there - "Anything that supports the arts and entertainment in the area would be welcome."

Baltimore is rethinking how it uses eminent domain in the wake of the Valsamaki challenge, Nilson said. City officials are using quick-take "more sparingly" and, when they do, taking more time to explain to the court exactly why it's necessary.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 12th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #4828
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Steve,

If you believe what developers say, Lord help you.

30 Floors Up
Ha! Cordish has cred, though. He's gotten the job done where others have crashed and burned.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4829
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
A high end disco. We'll insulate well. I'll call my people.

~~~~

~~~~~
You gave me my first chuckle of the morning and my first warped fantasy. A disco in Guilford would certainly pass the muster of the matrons and patrons of that anglophilic world... ...and...

Given the look of the place, my mind, twisted from way too many horror movies can see it now. As we know, the masons are in possession of both the Arc of the Covenant and the Holy Grail (probably the Spear of Longinus too) and where less conspicuous to put then than Baltimore. All those sweaty, sinful people dancing the night away offend the cosmic powers that be and it becomes a portal to perdition. Like the roach motel of night-lifers...they check in but they don't check out. It would work for the Guilford-ites because they don't have to worry about people leaving at 3 AM in altered states and the building gets reused. It wouldn't do much for Baltimore's night life reputation however....go into this disco and you're never seen again.

A disco in Guilford? If that works, we can try a message parlor in Roland Park.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4830
Phee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Gsol - That store isn't too far from Bergdorf's, right? If so, I've been there. It's impressive, but niche. The design is nice, but its far too congested downstairs for me.

southbalto - I agree with you. I think higher end stores are coming. It'll take time. IIRC, Banana Republic and J. Crew are opening in Harbor East at the retail level of The Vue. I think other stores will follow.

cgunna - why are we bumping threads?
Is that definitely true about Banana Republic and J. Crew? I had heard they were in talks a while ago, but I didn't think that worked out. I also heard a rumor of a very high end dept store opening in the building (not sure where), but haven't heard any more. The only stores I had heard for sure were Starbucks, Arhaus, CVS and Haagen-Dazs
Phee no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #4831
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
I'm new here so I probably missed it, or perhaps no one is interested, but Enoch Pratt is building some pretty interesting buildings these days. The new Southeast Anchor Library in Highlandtown looks better than I thought it would:

It now has big lettering on the top of the brick-colored section that ameliorates some of that broad solid space.

The new Orleans Street Branch is wild. It's a replacement for the Broadway Branch that they just closed, presumably due to its impending demolition for Hopkins related construction. The new branch is fairly small and in form looks a bit like a 1960s elementary school. It's very modern and the main block is brightly colored- panels of irregular width yelow, red, and black that look like books on a shelf. Cho Benn Holback is responsible for the design, but I can't find any images anywhere. I'll try to take one today.

With those two new buildings and the work that the Patterson Park CDC is doing around Library Square, it seems like things are changing for the better in and around the library system for the first time in a long time. I think the Hampden Branch was rehabbed last year too.
I drove down Orleans recently. I may be dating myself... but the new Orleans street branch reminds me of the Partridge Family bus.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #4832
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
the new Orleans street branch reminds me of the Partridge Family bus.
Hmmm. If "C'mon Get Happy" is emblazoned somewhere on the facade, you may be on to something. Or maybe the architects thought East Baltimore needed a Mondrian vibe ...

Old July 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #4833
GodricVT

Enoch Pratt Free Library- Orleans Branch

As promised, here are the photos of the new Enoch Pratt Branch at the corner of Central and Orleans (directly across the street from Dunbar). They just took the construction fence down yesterday so I assume the exterior is pretty much complete.

I hope the city does some streetscaping work on Central soon. It has a lot of potential, particularly the stretch between Orleans and the waterfront.

In other Orleans Street news, there was an excavator tearing up the pavement in the parking lot at the corner of Orleans and Broadway this morning. I believe this is the site of the new Wilmer building:

Old July 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #4834
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Don't laugh about the disco thing. The only thing holding up the demolition of the gas holder at Cold Spring and the JFX is that a slightly eccentric but well known developer wants to put a night club in the structure.
Meanwhile the MTA wants to put another light rail stop there.

In "Enemy of theState" the old DR. Pepper plant at Ponca and Boston St. was blown up. They had to time it with the train passing by. As many times as I have had to wait for the damn thing I wish they had blown up the train too!
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #4835
Hugh Jaramillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
As promised, here are the photos of the new Enoch Pratt Branch at the corner of Central and Orleans (directly across the street from Dunbar). They just took the construction fence down yesterday so I assume the exterior is pretty much complete.

I hope the city does some streetscaping work on Central soon. It has a lot of potential, particularly the stretch between Orleans and the waterfront.

In other Orleans Street news, there was an excavator tearing up the pavement in the parking lot at the corner of Orleans and Broadway this morning. I believe this is the site of the new Wilmer building:

Thank you for posting those photos of the new Enoch Pratt library branches. As much as people go on about publicly funded sports stadiums and concert halls, it's about bloody time some mention is made about the state of our public library system in Baltimore. I would much rather live close to a library than a sports stadium. I think Baltimore would be a far better place to live in if a fraction of the public money that has been squandered on the Orioles and the Ravens had been spent on the public library system instead. As it is, it's like pulling teeth to get the legislature to spend a penny more than they need to maintain public libraries, but when egotistical mega millionaire sports owners need a new score board, all they need is to ask and the funds are given. Oh well I know that I am in the minority on this, but as a taxpayer it really gets my back up!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4836
30 Floors Up

You must play the lottery! It is lottery money from dedicated sports games, not "tax money", that is paying for the Camden Yards. I suppose one could say it is a voluntary tax.

I like the multi colored library. It's cool looking.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 12th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4837
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Oh well I know that I am in the minority on this, but as a taxpayer it really gets my back up!
Don't know whether you're in the minority or not, but am pretty sure you're only footing the bill for the stadiums if you're "paying the fantasy tax," i.e. playing the lottery.

I'm not crazy about the Orioles' owner, but Camden Yards is a civic monument, just like the Washington Monument in Mt. Vernon Place (also paid for by a lottery).

Edit: Dang, 30 Floors, you're fast!
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #4838
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

I think the Orleans St. branch looks horrible - didn't the multi-colored "hey, look how ethnic we are" jazz go out of style in the mid-80's? It reminds me of the inside of my old elementary school gym.

The Highlandtown branch looks like much of new Baltimore - brick, glass, and steel. Contrasting with the Dominican restaurant, pizza joint, and Verizon Wireless store it neighbors, but classy & welcome none the less.

BTW, Camden Yards? It's church in the Maniac household.

MobtownManiac no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4839
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

BWI flights to Nigeria taking off in Sept.

BWI flights to Nigeria taking off in Sept.
Baltimore Business Journal - 12:17 PM EDT Thursday, July 12, 2007
by Scott Dance
Staff

North American Airlines will begin one-stop service between Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport and Lagos, Nigeria, starting Sept. 4, the airline said Thursday.

The flight will stop at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and will be offered three times a week, departing BWI on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 1 p.m. Flights from Lagos to BWI will arrive at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

"There is significant demand in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C., area for direct flights to Africa," said North American chief marketing officer Robert Binns in a statement. "Our departure and arrival times allow for convenient connections to a network of Africa destinations with our marketing partner, Virgin Nigeria."

North American offers one other flight from BWI: direct service to Accra, Ghana, once a week.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #4840
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobtownManiac View Post
I think the Orleans St. branch looks horrible - didn't the multi-colored "hey, look how ethnic we are" jazz go out of style in the mid-80's?
It did, but in this location, the design makes sense. It's across the street from the fortress-like, brown brick Dunbar High School and cater-corner from the aging, red-brick Somerset Homes. Bit of color here is appropriate, and will be enticing to kids walking up Central from City Springs Elementary.

Camden Yards is your church, Mobtown? Amen to that. Back in the day, the nuns wouldn't bat an eye if you told them you were missing school for the O's home opener.

Closed Thread