daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #4841
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
As promised, here are the photos of the new Enoch Pratt Branch at the corner of Central and Orleans (directly across the street from Dunbar). They just took the construction fence down yesterday so I assume the exterior is pretty much complete.

I hope the city does some streetscaping work on Central soon. It has a lot of potential, particularly the stretch between Orleans and the waterfront.

In other Orleans Street news, there was an excavator tearing up the pavement in the parking lot at the corner of Orleans and Broadway this morning. I believe this is the site of the new Wilmer building:

I looked at my Pratt Library card and the colours on the panels of the new Orleans branch are the same as the colours on the card!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4842
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
BWI flights to Nigeria taking off in Sept.
Baltimore Business Journal - 12:17 PM EDT Thursday, July 12, 2007
by Scott Dance
Staff

North American Airlines will begin one-stop service between Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport and Lagos, Nigeria, starting Sept. 4, the airline said Thursday.

The flight will stop at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and will be offered three times a week, departing BWI on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 1 p.m. Flights from Lagos to BWI will arrive at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

"There is significant demand in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C., area for direct flights to Africa," said North American chief marketing officer Robert Binns in a statement. "Our departure and arrival times allow for convenient connections to a network of Africa destinations with our marketing partner, Virgin Nigeria."

North American offers one other flight from BWI: direct service to Accra, Ghana, once a week.
Good news and I don't want to sound like a pessimist here but if the demand were so great, why the JFK tag on? Overall it's good news but the tag on tells me that maybe they want to test the service through a bigger market before going it alone.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4843
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Thank you for posting those photos of the new Enoch Pratt library branches. As much as people go on about publicly funded sports stadiums and concert halls, it's about bloody time some mention is made about the state of our public library system in Baltimore. I would much rather live close to a library than a sports stadium. I think Baltimore would be a far better place to live in if a fraction of the public money that has been squandered on the Orioles and the Ravens had been spent on the public library system instead. As it is, it's like pulling teeth to get the legislature to spend a penny more than they need to maintain public libraries, but when egotistical mega millionaire sports owners need a new score board, all they need is to ask and the funds are given. Oh well I know that I am in the minority on this, but as a taxpayer it really gets my back up!
This is so far off I don't know where to begin. If you think too many people consider Baltimore small town right now, imagine if those stadiums weren't built and there was no O's or Ravens. No one would know a thing about this city. Libraries are great and all but compared to pro sports teams, the money they generate and the pride a city feels for those teams? Didn't you notice all the purple all over downtown when the Ravens were in the playoffs? That's the type of stuff that makes a great city, not the countless libraries, most of which have very few people in them.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #4844
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
That's the type of stuff that makes a great city, not the countless libraries, most of which have very few people in them.
Both/and. Both Cal Ripken and Benjamin Carson (see third paragraph) make a great city.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #4845
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I heard Banana Republic

and Georgetown' Urban Chic are opening. I'm not sure about J Crew. I know Landmark Theater's is also opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phee View Post
Is that definitely true about Banana Republic and J. Crew? I had heard they were in talks a while ago, but I didn't think that worked out. I also heard a rumor of a very high end dept store opening in the building (not sure where), but haven't heard any more. The only stores I had heard for sure were Starbucks, Arhaus, CVS and Haagen-Dazs
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #4846
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

The Cordish Tower has been a big disappointment

The Cordish Tower ranks with Citiscape and 1 Light St as major disappointments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Ha! Cordish has cred, though. He's gotten the job done where others have crashed and burned.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #4847
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
The Cordish Tower ranks with Citiscape and 1 Light St as major disappointments.
I don't think we can lump the Cordish tower in with these two. It's only been a couple of years since that was first proposed, right? 10 Light has been dragging on for at least 10 years. And my late night posting habits should get us to the top for awhile!!
micrip está en línea ahora  
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4848
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Hey everyone, it's been well over the "4 weeks" that 300 east pratt street people said it would take untill new specifics/renderings would be released. Well, nothing, as usual it seems, sadly, has been released. I say we all start e-mailing the Urban America and Doracon people and ask them what's going on. Who's with me?

And maybe a few e-mails to Arcwheeler about 10 Inner Harbor would be nice. Let's see what we all can do. The power of numbers are very effective. And we've got them now.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4849
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Good idea Steve. I emailed Dorocon about something else and haven't heard back. That's typical of these companies. If it's not urgent or pressing, it just sinks further and further in their inbox.

I think multiple emails about the same topic will make someone respond just so we stop the bombardment.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #4850
GodricVT

Some interesting info about Harborpoint. It seems that they were denied an Army Corps of Engineers permit to build piers out into the harbor so they're having to scale back a bit. Phase I, which is the southeasternmost section, was supposed to have two buildings out on piers and two buildings on shore. One of the onshore buildings has been eliminated and the pier buildings have been pushed back onto the shore. To compensate, they're hoping to change the massing of one of the buildings (height 120') and increase the height of another one from 90' to 110' (I think). The third building, closest to the Isaac Myers/Frederick Douglass Maritime Park, will stay at 90'.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #4851
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

That happened about a year ago. They didn't scale back; they just rearranged things so that all the structures are now sited on terra firma.

The newest thing is that they have proposed a wall of highrises on the northern section of the site. Those buildings were in a rendering just appeared out of no place about a month ago (think trial balloon). I'm sure that the Fells Point groups will be upset about that as well they should be.

I hope the highrises never get constructed. There is a place for everything, and the middle of Baltimore's oldest historic neighborhood is not the place for tall modern buildings. Developers would never propose something like that in downtown Annapolis or Ellicott City, and if they did, it would get shot down in no time.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4852
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Looks like we'll be getting some larger events/concerts downtown with or without a new arena...
Quote:
Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium is the latest venue to join the Gridiron Stadium Network, a nationwide group that works to book outside events to National Football League and Major League Soccer stadiums.

The stadium's primary tenant, the NFL's Baltimore Ravens, will pay the $15,000 in yearly fees to the nonprofit Gridiron Stadium Network, based in Westlake Village, Calif.

Raymond Jones Stadium in Tampa, Fla., home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, home to the Atlanta Falcons, also joined the organization on Thursday.

The new members bring the number of NFL stadiums registered with the organization to 11, along with the MLS' Home Depot Center in Los Angeles and Toyota Park in Chicago.

In 2007, the Gridiron Stadium Network booked major artists such as the Police and Kenny Chesney in participating stadiums.
MobtownManiac no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4853
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
There is a place for everything, and the middle of Baltimore's oldest historic neighborhood is not the place for tall modern buildings. Developers would never propose something like that in downtown Annapolis or Ellicott City, and if they did, it would get shot down in no time.
Horse has left the barn ... the PUD for HP allows 1.8 million s.f. Given that the cost of capping a century and a half's worth of chromium production exceeded $100 million, be assured the developers will push for the max. Pretty sure there's a negotiated-with-the-neighborhood 180-foot height limit on the NW quadrant of the property, with the heights stepping down to four stories at Caroline Street. FP finally gets a decent-sized park in the bargain.

French Quarter is probably more analogous to Fells Point than Annapolis or Ellicott City; some pretty big honkin' towers sit on its edge, just west of Canal St. (Click on the "aerial image" tab in the upper right corner of the map.)
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #4854
30 Floors Up

Drank there many times. They look even taller when you are laying in the gutter looking up. Oops. Did I say that?
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #4855
jamie_hunt

Well,

looks like you picked yourself up off of Bourbon Street, which is the important thing. ;-)
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #4856
30 Floors Up

Think things were bad in Baltimore in the 70's? Poke around this site and thank god we never had the wholesale abandonment that Detroit had. Amazing architectue totally destroyed. The Statler hotel history is really interesting. I always wondered who Statler was now I know. Sort of like Sears Roebuck. Who was Roebuck and where did he go?

http://forgottendetroit.com/index.html

The only highrises that I ever remember seeing abandonded in Baltimore were the two buildings on Mount Royal Terrace near the train station. One was called the Mount Royal Hotel and Hopkins renovated it and the other one next door and they are now the International House complex.

The Medical Arts building may be empty, but there are plans in the works for an apartment conversion.

I suppose the Tower Building was abandoned, but it was only empty a few years before they demolished it. It had very small floor plates which made it difficult to lease.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 13th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #4857
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Detroityes, Detroitfunk, and detroitblog are also really cool sites that feature detroit abandonment. I was paying attention when the Madison-Lennox was torn down--the only building ever torn down while on the National Trust's list of 11 most endangered places (and only the second building ever on the list to be torn down period).

edit: The Wire is the Feature Article on wikipedia today.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4858
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

A message from Jeff Monge at Urban America concerning 300 east pratt street:

"Ill give you something next week. I think it will still be assumptions
because we are getting our hotel deal in place."

I look forward to it.
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #4859
GodricVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
That happened about a year ago. They didn't scale back; they just rearranged things so that all the structures are now sited on terra firma.
Well, maybe the permits were denied a year ago. They are just now preparing to present their amended plans to the community though, specifically their amended plans about Phase I. This phase is definitely scaled back (even if the project as a whole hasn't changed in scale) since there used to be four buildings and now there are three.

Regardless of the degree of change, the fact remains that they'll be building some 120' buildings next to some 25' buildings. Minor changes in site plan aren't going to make a big difference as far as the neighborhood is concerned. I don't think the scale is terribly out of line here, particularly if they can get the bridge at the end of Central Avenue built. As a not-too-far-away neighbor, I think I can live with it.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #4860
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Steven, the good news is that we will get some news next week. The bad news is that if they are still giving us assumptions, they are a long way from groundbreaking.
k25150 no está en línea  

Closed Thread