daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #4861
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Yeah, I know....

sad but true....

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #4862
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
This phase is definitely scaled back (even if the project as a whole hasn't changed in scale)....
I wouldn't be surprised if this is all part of the developers' strategy. We saw with Harbor East that the biggest fights come at the beginning phases, and once the project gets rolling, it becomes easier to push the height limits. Perhaps they figure that by scaling down Phase I, they can get their foot in the door before hulking up the subsequent phases.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #4863
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

The area might not be dense enough to support it, but how do you feel about gutting the Masonic Temple (a shame though it would be) and converting it into a public market? I think it would be fantastic if such an iconic building were to serve an everyday use, and it would probably be a big hit with both the artsy crowd of the Charles St. corridor and the luxury denizens of Guilford and University Pkwy.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #4864
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Think things were bad in Baltimore in the 70's? Poke around this site and thank god we never had the wholesale abandonment that Detroit had. Amazing architectue totally destroyed. The Statler hotel history is really interesting. I always wondered who Statler was now I know. Sort of like Sears Roebuck. Who was Roebuck and where did he go?

http://forgottendetroit.com/index.html

The only highrises that I ever remember seeing abandonded in Baltimore were the two buildings on Mount Royal Terrace near the train station. One was called the Mount Royal Hotel and Hopkins renovated it and the other one next door and they are now the International House complex.

The Medical Arts building may be empty, but there are plans in the works for an apartment conversion.

I suppose the Tower Building was abandoned, but it was only empty a few years before they demolished it. It had very small floor plates which made it difficult to lease.
This is even more "fabulous"

[http://www.detroityes.com/0tourdetro...Fabulous_Ruins

Detroit must be the most devastated city in the US. In Baltimore, abandoned buildings tend to get torn down pretty quickly...the GM plant came down less than 2 years after it closed.
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #4865
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

And they have already started building the first warehouse at the GM site.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #4866
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
In Baltimore, abandoned buildings tend to get torn down pretty quickly...the GM plant came down less than 2 years after it closed.
Abandoned commercial buildings get recycled relatively quickly ... still have thousands of empty residences. Of course, until the early '90s, Devil's Night claimed a lot of empty Detroit homes and buildings.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #4867
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I figure

we are on the 4-5 year start construction plan with 10 Inner Harbor, Cordish Project and 300 East Pratt or similar to the Ritz/Four Seasons. This means construction will start on around 2009-2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Yeah, I know....

sad but true....

Last edited by fanofterps; July 15th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4868
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Good idea Steve. I emailed Dorocon about something else and haven't heard back. That's typical of these companies. If it's not urgent or pressing, it just sinks further and further in their inbox.

I think multiple emails about the same topic will make someone respond just so we stop the bombardment.
I also sent an email to UrbanAmerica and Doracon (yesterday). I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #4869
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I don't understand all this disappointment and depression amongst Baltimore forumers. The Baltimore economy is growing much faster than the national rate, you have a new 3rd tallest that was announced and began construction within a few months and you have multiple 700ft+ proposals on the table, at least one of which will probably come through. There's also quality smaller scale development throughout the city. Compare this to the situation 10-15 years ago...

Cheer up people, I really can't think of any cities that are improving as rapidly as Balt/Wash.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #4870
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

The bottom poriton of Silo Point looks to be completely covered with glass, couldnt get pics and saw froma distance, but it did look good.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #4871
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
The area might not be dense enough to support it, but how do you feel about gutting the Masonic Temple (a shame though it would be) and converting it into a public market? I think it would be fantastic if such an iconic building were to serve an everyday use, and it would probably be a big hit with both the artsy crowd of the Charles St. corridor and the luxury denizens of Guilford and University Pkwy.
I don't think density would be a problem. There are lots of people in that area with lots of money to spend. The problem I foresee is that almost anything you think of except a Freemason hall will be opposed by the Guilford/Tuscany/Canturbury crowd. I may be wrong but i'd be willing to bet that they will be only slightly lower on the NIMBY scale than Ruxton people. If only it were two blocks south, below University Pkwy, it might be a go. I can see a long hard road for this property. Anything more commercial than a knitting shop, anything taller than 15 floors, anything noisy or that draws a crowd...
scando no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #4872
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
I don't understand all this disappointment and depression amongst Baltimore forumers. The Baltimore economy is growing much faster than the national rate, you have a new 3rd tallest that was announced and began construction within a few months and you have multiple 700ft+ proposals on the table, at least one of which will probably come through. There's also quality smaller scale development throughout the city. Compare this to the situation 10-15 years ago...

Cheer up people, I really can't think of any cities that are improving as rapidly as Balt/Wash.
Having been here for a while, I can remember times when nothing bigger than a gas station sign was built for 2 or 3 years. Big things always take a while and get changed multiple times. Right now, there are several big projects in the works, several more proposed...these are the good times.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #4873
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
The bottom poriton of Silo Point looks to be completely covered with glass, couldnt get pics and saw froma distance, but it did look good.
If anybody had asked me if you could change a grain elevator into something that looks good, I wouldn't have believe it, but from what I have seen so far, I am impressed.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4874
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
The Baltimore economy is growing much faster than the national rate, you have a new 3rd tallest that was announced and began construction within a few months and you have multiple 700ft+ proposals on the table, at least one of which will probably come through.
*i would have to agree with you here about the one 700-footer. i actually believe that since many of 10IH's floors will now be office floors instead of residential and hotel floors, it's going to end up being in the mid to upper 700-foot range.

*these renderings of naing's towers are nice, probably one of the nicest designs i've seen in quite a long time. but i'm not sure if the height, demand, or the design is going to stay the same.

*ok, on to 300EP. i'm starting to feel alot more comfortable with this project. i'll go with 45 to 50 floors atleast.

*i'll still go with my gut feeling that cordish's tower stays at atleast 34 stories.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; July 15th, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4875
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Having been here for a while, I can remember times when nothing bigger than a gas station sign was built for 2 or 3 years. Big things always take a while and get changed multiple times. Right now, there are several big projects in the works, several more proposed...these are the good times.
Yes, indeed. There was a lot of change to the skyline in the mid-80's, then not much happened for over 10 years. Things really took off in the year 2000 and have been going strong since.
micrip no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #4876
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
[snip]There are lots of people in that area with lots of money to spend. The problem I foresee is that almost anything you think of except a Freemason hall will be opposed by the Guilford/Tuscany/Canturbury crowd.[snip]
Perhaps, but those two neighborhood probably contribute more in property taxes and require less in services than any comparably-sized residential neighborhoods in the city, and so are critical to Baltimore's financial health. They're certainly among the most beautiful and architecturally diverse. That doesn't just happen: takes residents who care and are vigilant about what goes on around them. They don't always get what they want (or don't want): the Calvert School expansion being a recent example.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #4877
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

The Houston Banner looks like a drawing....
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4878
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Perhaps, but those two neighborhood probably contribute more in property taxes and require less in services than any comparably-sized residential neighborhoods in the city, and so are critical to Baltimore's financial health. They're certainly among the most beautiful and architecturally diverse. That doesn't just happen: takes residents who care and are vigilant about what goes on around them. They don't always get what they want (or don't want): the Calvert School expansion being a recent example.
Were it not for taxes paid in a few areas like Guilford, Roland Park, Homeland, Mt Wash, etc, Baltimore would have slipped into bankruptcy long ago. Personally I have an ambivalent relation to NIMBY. It certainly protects well funded neighborhoods but sometimes impedes other things. Anybody who is thinking about building or redeveloping in these traditionally conservative and territorial areas like that needs to start out with a clear picture of what is realistic and work with the neighbors, not against them. Somebody who thinks that he will put a disco or a public market in Guilford will find out what it means to be lawyered to death. In my area I have witnessed the work of the Ruxton/Riderwood association many times. While I don't even live close, much less IN Ruxton, their influence spreads out miles from Ruxton...they have a Monroe Doctrine approach to neighborhood preservation.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #4879
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Thought the same thing
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #4880
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's an HDR photo (high dynamic range). I'd like to see some good HDRs of Baltimore. Maybe I should take one with my new HDR capable camera next time I'm there....

EDIT: Here are some great HDR examples: http://flickr.com/search/?q=hdr&s=int

Last edited by modestproposal; July 15th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
modestproposal no está en línea  

Closed Thread