daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4901
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Speaking of the Sun, did anyone notice the new format there? It's nice, IMO.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #4902
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Sun readying new look for Web site
Baltimore Business Journal - 1:35 PM EDT Tuesday, July 17, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

The Baltimore Sun will debut its redesigned Web site Tuesday night to include more video feeds, story updates and content from readers.

Newspaper officials say the site will include a better search engine and a feature that allows users to upload their own videos and post opinions.

Readers can also expect to see more stories throughout the day and evening and more video ads.

Sun executives last redesigned the site in 2005, when the Web site's domain name was changed from sunspot.net to baltimoresun.com.

The site has 2.3 million unique users.

The Sun's parent company Tribune Co. (NYSE: TRB) is preparing to go private and sell its assets to Chicago real estate mogul Sam Zell later this year.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #4903
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Speaking of the Sun, did anyone notice the new format there? It's nice, IMO.
Just saw it this a.m. Very clean, but the lack of sub-headlines means clicking more frequently to see if an article's worth checking out. Reading the dead-tree edition is a lot faster.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4904
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Yes, you have to do extra fishing around as opposed to having the news right there in front of you. I agree, Jamie. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it a 7.5.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #4905
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
Yes, you have to do extra fishing around as opposed to having the news right there in front of you. I agree, Jamie. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it a 7.5.
Spending more and more time on the examiner site lately...I like their top menu
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #4906
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

Went to look at apartments in Spinnaker Bay this past weekend. One of the apartments I looked at had a view right into the Four Seasons site. It didn't even look like they have really started digging yet for the underground garage. I think it will be some time before we see any steel rising.
jpav no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #4907
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

I was over at Silo Point yesterday and was wondering why they didn't finish demolishing the existing on land section of the conveyor system. It's an eyesore and blocks the water view. I know they had problems with the conveyor itself. When it was blasted the implosion contractor was supposed to leave the pier intact but it collapsed and fell into the water. But for the life of me I don't know why they would the rest of it standing.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #4908
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Anyone got any e-mails from the Urban America people yet? Doracon people? Arcwheeler people?

Kind of quiet..........
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #4909
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i haven't yet, but i'm being patient with it. after all, they said that we'd hear something in a week.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #4910
jpreston02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
I was over at Silo Point yesterday and was wondering why they didn't finish demolishing the existing on land section of the conveyor system. It's an eyesore and blocks the water view. I know they had problems with the conveyor itself. When it was blasted the implosion contractor was supposed to leave the pier intact but it collapsed and fell into the water. But for the life of me I don't know why they would the rest of it standing.
I don't think it's up to the developer. Isn't it owned by the MPA? I'm sure the developer wants it gone, it's just a matter of when the MPA gets around to demolishing it...

Here's a quick picture I took from my house this afternoon. There was a question a few days ago about floors above the concrete structure. Looks like they've started the steel for that portion.

jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #4911
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
Went to look at apartments in Spinnaker Bay this past weekend. One of the apartments I looked at had a view right into the Four Seasons site. It didn't even look like they have really started digging yet for the underground garage. I think it will be some time before we see any steel rising.

Hey Jpav,

What did you think of Spinnaker? Is it still in the running?

Oh and how about BAL and the Sun reporting that Lennie Hamm will step down!

I never really thought the guy was all that innovative. I always thought It would be interesting to bring in a Fortune 500 CEO type to run the department. Someone without a significant law enforcement background but successful nonetheless. I have a feeling that if they hire from within things won't change.

discuss....
southbalto no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #4912
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Some development pics from the other morning...

Hopkins construction from faaaaaaaaaaarrrrr away

pfd103 no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #4913
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Great pics all, I really can't wait to see how Silo Point turns out. For some reason its one of my favorite developments.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #4914
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Interesting article in the Examiner this morning....

Light rail is functional, could improve
by Steve Eldridge, The Examiner

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - Baltimore’s light rail and trolley system is meant for locals more than tourists. The cars stop at platforms that would be of little interest to those from out of town unless they had business with the city government or just wanted to ride the elevators to get a better view of the Inner Harbor. Unlike the system in New Orleans, which has been around for more than 100 years, ours has evolved into more of a locally functional status than a sightseeing tool. Still, improvements can be made, as we hear from one reader who sends along a five-step plan for improving inner-city transit.

1. Howard Street from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to Pratt Street should become a transit-way (no cars), and a third track should be added to the corridor for additional capacity. The signals should be modified in this corridor to give priority to the trolley and light rail.

2. The Grand Boulevard being planned for Pratt Street should include a trolley line that would branch out of Howard Street at Pratt and travel past the Inner Harbor, through Harbor East and Fells Point and down to Canton.

3. The proposed Red Line from Woodlawn should be a light rail/trolley, following the Route 40 corridor and making its way to the northern end of Howard Street. It could the use the Howard Street transit-way with the additional capacity of the track added in item No. 1 to travel to Pratt Street and down to Canton along the harbor.

4. The Penn Shuttle should travel between Penn Station and Camden Yards via Howard Street, with limited stops in between. This could encourage Penn Line riders to use the Camden Line, which is almost empty when the trains leave Dorsey bound for Baltimore.

5. The Charles Street Trolley should have a rail-to-rail connection near Penn Station/Mount Royal so trains to and from Johns Hopkins and Homewood can move over to Howard Street, down to Camden Yards and even over to Canton via Pratt Street.

This makes a lot of sense. I would think, though, that adding some bus bridges between the end points might make it even more usable. The problem comes with any transit system when you ask passengers to get off one mode and transfer to another (or two). This means passengers must gather their belongings and wait for the next vehicle to arrive.

No quick or easy answers will solve this complex problem, but ideas like these might jump-start the conversations and get something done. As we have noted, there will always be someone or some group that feels put out or inconvenienced, but the result might benefit all.

Questions, comments, random musings? Write to [email protected]
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #4915
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

250 W Pratt lands new tenant.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...l?surround=lfn

Ehrlich's law firm moving to Baltimore
Baltimore Business Journal - 5:59 PM EDT Wednesday, July 18, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Womble Carlyle Standridge & Rice, a national law firm headed in Maryland by former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., has signed a lease to move its state offices from Linthicum to downtown Baltimore within the next two months, commercial brokerage Cushman & Wakefield Inc. said Wednesday.

The firm has signed a lease for 17,737 square feet at 250 W. Pratt St., a 24-story, 368,194-square-foot office building owned by Behringer Harvard Funds.

"We are thrilled to have such a prestigious law firm choose 250 W. Pratt Street as its Maryland office location," Tim Jackson, a broker with Cushman & Wakefield, said in a news release. "We look forward to working with Womble Carlyle as they continue to growth their practice in Baltimore."

Terms of the lease were not disclosed.

In addition to Jackson, Cushman & Wakefield brokers T. Courtenay Jenkins and Whitney M. Nye represented Behringer Harvard in the deal. Andy Andrews, a broker with Colliers Pinkard, represented Womble Carlyle.

The lease brings 250 W. Pratt St. to a 95 percent occupancy, leaving just 16,000 square feet vacant. Jenkins said the asking rent for that space ranges from $27.50 to $28.50.

The deal partially offsets plans by another law firm, Semmes, Bowen & Semmes, to move its offices from 250 W. Pratt St. to 25 S. Charles St. The firm, which needs about 60,000 square feet, plans to move in April 2008.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #4916
jpav

[QUOTE=southbalto;14338357]Hey Jpav,

What did you think of Spinnaker? Is it still in the running?

It is very nice. All of the units facing the construction were discounted @ about $1700 a month. But there was a lot of noise on that side so I don't think it would be worth the discounted price. It seems that Spinnaker Bay is kind of screwed. Now it has The Vue to the north, Four Seasons to the west, there are no units on the east of the building, and the south side is mostly condos. Oh well they should have built taller! Also looked at the Eden and liked that a little better.
jpav no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #4917
southbalto

Yawn....right guys?

Contractor seeks $2M lien on superblock property
Mechanic’s lien would encumber property slated for land swap

BRENDAN KEARNEY
Daily Record Legal Affairs Writer
July 18, 2007 7:32 PM
A month and a half after the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation finalized a land-swap agreement with Baltimore to facilitate the city’s West Side redevelopment project, the foundation finds itself in the crosshairs of legal action regarding one of the buildings.

Unlimited Restoration Inc. is seeking to put a lien for $2 million on what used to be Epstein’s Department Store, saying it performed nearly $2 million of cleanup work on the West Lexington Street property in February and March and has not yet been paid.

Joel Winegarden, vice president of real estate for the Weinberg Foundation, said the foundation’s insurance company will settle with the Pennsylvania contractor and is “just reserving its rights” and “still investigating” in the meantime. He did not know the name of the insurance company, he said.

The foundation contacted Unlimited Restoration after a sprinkler pipe froze and burst on February 12, Winegarden said.

According to papers filed with the mechanic’s lien petition in Baltimore City Circuit Court, over the next seven weeks, Unlimited Restoration removed tin ceilings, tiles, carpet, wallpaper, light fixtures, asbestos and other wet materials from the building.

Another summary of the project noted Unlimited Restoration also removed some walls and floors and charged the Weinberg Foundation for temporary heating, 24-hour security and dumpster pulls.

Unlimited Restoration claims it is still owed the full cost of the
rehabilitation effort plus interest of $75,000, which continues to accrue at 1.5 percent each month, the filing states.

R. Daniel Gartrell, attorney for the claimant, declined to comment. A call to Unlimited Restoration was not returned.

The property consists of seven separate addresses between 201 and 213 W. Lexington St.

The Weinberg Foundation owns only the land at 211 W. Lexington St., according to the filing. Gutman Realty LLC, which Winegarden called “a supporting organization” of the foundation, owns the building itself and the land under 201-205 and 209 W. Lexington. John Ralston, of Pittsburgh, whose local mailing address is the same Owings Mills address as Weinberg’s and Gutman’s, owns 207 and 213 W. Lexington St.

Ralston and Gutman Realty are listed as “additional insureds” on the foundation’s policy, Winegarden said.

The tan brick edifice, which most recently housed a children’s store, now sits empty between cut-rate clothing shops and wig outlets on the strip between Lexington Market and Charles Center. Metal roll-down shutters cover its storefronts, and pigeons roost in the boarded ledge below the second-story windows, one of which is broken.

The building is part of the city’s West Side superblock, the section of buildings bounded by West Lexington, North Liberty, West Fayette and North Howard Streets that the city has awarded to a group of New York and Georgia investors collectively known as Lexington Square Partners LLC. They plan to convert the depressed retail district into a mix of upscale shops and apartments.

In June, the Weinberg Foundation agreed to a land disposition agreement with the city, under which it would trade its properties on the south side of West Lexington, including the former Epstein’s building, for others on the north side of the block. The foundation plans to develop its newly acquired city block in partnership with Baltimore-based developer Cordish Co.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #4918
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

booooooooo...

Need for roads given priority over transit in outlook report
by Jason Flanagan, The Examiner

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - The demand for more roads and rail transit has local officials pondering how to promote mass transit in an ever-growing urban area while staying under a tight budget.

“The needs are enormous, and the resources are finite,” said Anne Arundel County Executive John Leopold, a member of Baltimore Regional Transportation Board that last week released its 2035 outlook of the region’s transportation needs.

The report lists 49 road projects, but notes only five transit projects. One transit proposal landed in the top six “regionally significant” projects — the Red Line transit system to provide an east-west connection through downtown Baltimore.

According to the report, local governments plan to spend 71 percent of transportation expansion funds on highway projects, while only 26 percent of funds will go toward transit projects by 2035.

“You can enhance transit without building new transit,” said Maryland Department of Transportation Planning Director Sam Minnitte, referring to how most transit improvements come from operating funds.

Many of the hot-ticket projects — the Red Line, widening of Interstate 695 — eat up a disproportionate part of the budget, Minnitte said.

And with the public’s preferred transit option of trains or light rail the least economically practical, developing a balanced and cost-effective transit plan has been a struggle for the board, officials said.

“If folks wanted to take buses, we get a lot of them out and running in no time, but that’s not what people want,” said Regina Aris, policy manager for the Baltimore Metropolitan Council.

Howard County Executive Ken Ulman, the board’s chairman, and Baltimore County Executive James Smith were unavailable for comment. The board includes the five area county executives and mayors of Baltimore and Annapolis.

The report does allow for area governments to consolidate and do regional planning, which may help secure federal funding.

“Regional clout should be our focus at this time because each jurisdiction alone is not going to have the same influence in D.C. as a regional partnership,” Leopold said.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #4919
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Yawn....right guys?

Contractor seeks $2M lien on superblock property
Mechanic’s lien would encumber property slated for land swap

BRENDAN KEARNEY
Daily Record Legal Affairs Writer
July 18, 2007 7:32 PM
Slow news day.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #4920
southbalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Slow news day.

I'm really suprised there isnt more talk about Hamm getting the boot. Long overdue in my opinion.

Closed Thread