daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4941
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

That is suprising....that the BOA tower isn't protected from demolition? Anyone who would want to demolish that tower is an idiot. My favorite B'more scraper by far.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4942
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
That is suprising....that the BOA tower isn't protected from demolition? Anyone who would want to demolish that tower is an idiot. My favorite B'more scraper by far.
It probably would be if anyone ever threatened to take it down...If the Mechanic gets defended, I can't imagine the response to the BOA building.
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #4943
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Either the BOA building would have to be irredeemably screwed up or Baltimore's commercial real estate market would have to be hotter than the sun for the building to be torn down. The BoA's neighbors—Hansa Haus (now Kinko's) on the NE corner of Charles and Redwood and the Savings Bank of Baltimore's "Temple of Thrift" (now a non-profit HQ) on the SE corner of Charles and Baltimore—are more representative of the types of buildings in danger.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4944
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
I still don't understand why the BDC thinks it needs to give Legg Mason a $33 million incentive.
Because the incentives will bring in more than triple in new tax revenue. Works the same with Bush's tax cuts. We get OUR money back and we spend OUR money thus creating more tax revenues for local, state and the federal government. That's why the federal deficit has been paid down so much and why tax receipts have been higher than ever. Without the incentives, Legg would have left the city or even the state.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #4945
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
That's why the federal deficit has been paid down so much and why tax receipts have been higher than ever.
This is a joke, right?
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4946
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

I could buy that except for the fact that Legg Mason said they were not going to leave the city and that the incentives were not for them. That's Legg Mason talking, not me. It was published in the Sun and the Examiner.

From an April 30th Sun Article

A Legg Mason spokeswoman said the company had not been involved in seeking a financial package. "It has nothing to do with us," said Mary Athridge, the spokeswoman. "We got a deal that we thought was good for employees and good for shareholders and we're happy with it."

"We'd always been committed to staying in downtown Baltimore," she said. "This was a great opportunity, and we had to take advantage of it." A spokesman for the mayor said Brodie met with Dixon to outline the BDC's recommendation for financial assistance but that she had set no timeline for making a decision on whether to accept that recommendation and send it to the city's spending board for approval.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 20th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #4947
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
It probably would be if anyone ever threatened to take it down...If the Mechanic gets defended, I can't imagine the response to the BOA building.
Haha I still can't believe people are defending the mechanic. But then I have always found Brutalism the most hideous form of architecture.

I cannot imagine the BOA getting demolished. I guess it falls into the 'duh' category, people consider the chances of it getting demolished so remote they havn't bothered with any kind of historical status.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #4948
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Because the incentives will bring in more than triple in new tax revenue. Works the same with Bush's tax cuts. We get OUR money back and we spend OUR money thus creating more tax revenues for local, state and the federal government. That's why the federal deficit has been paid down so much and why tax receipts have been higher than ever. Without the incentives, Legg would have left the city or even the state.
You may want to re look at that deficit part. But then revenue and spending are two different, though symbiotic, beasts.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #4949
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

This article actually makes this project sound minimally exciting. We'll have to wait and see though....

Russell Street proposal expanding

By Lorraine Mirabella | sun reporter
July 20, 2007

The developer of a sports-themed office and recreation complex proposed for a blighted stretch of waterfront south of M&T Bank Stadium said yesterday that he hoped to nearly double the amount of office space originally planned for the $250 million project that city officials hope will transform the Russell Street corridor.

Cormony Development, the lead developer of Gateway South, showed a city design panel preliminary plans that include 1 million square feet of office space, an increase from the 600,000 originally proposed. The 1.5 million-square-foot project would also include a sports complex with indoor and outdoor playing fields, shops, restaurants and recreational activities such as indoor golf, a fitness center and swim club. It will house "The Ray of Hope Center," a tutoring and sports program for children run by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who is an equity partner in Gateway. It also will become the new site of a Greyhound bus terminal.

The city, which owns much of the 11-acre site east of the 500-acre Carroll Camden Industrial Park and is working to acquire the rest, had required the developer to include the bus terminal in a mixed-use project that would add new office space, with parking, to help the city compete with suburban office buildings. The Baltimore Development Corp. recommended Cormony's sports-themed project over several competitors in December, and in March Mayor Sheila Dixon chose the team, which includes Lewis' Team 52 Development and Harrison Development.

Cormony and architects from Ayers Saint Gross presented conceptual plans yesterday to the city's Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel showing a new bus terminal along Russell Street, which leads into the city from the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

Preliminary designs, modeled after the Chelsea Piers sports complex in New York City, also show four multistory, mixed-use pavilions along the waterfront that would include recreational activities on the lower floors, topped by parking garages with office space above. One possible design shows a linear, glass office building sitting atop all four pavilions.

"Right now, there is nothing inviting when you come in to Russell Street," said Samuel Polakoff, managing director of Cormony. "We think this will invite people in."

M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of BDC, said officials had not been convinced at first that a sports-plex would work economically, but, "we came away believing it could work."

Members of the design panel indicated they were happy with the direction of the early designs but want to see the project make the most of its waterfront location on the shore of the Middle Branch, a view that is now obscured by deteriorating warehouses. The project has the potential to become a model for waterfront development, said panel member Mark Cameron.

Polakoff said the project could get under way, at the earliest, sometime next year.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4950
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
This article actually makes this project sound minimally exciting. We'll have to wait and see though....

Russell Street proposal expanding
By Lorraine Mirabella | sun reporter
July 20, 2007

The developer of a sports-themed office and recreation complex proposed for a blighted stretch of waterfront south of M&T Bank Stadium said yesterday that he hoped to nearly double the amount of office space originally planned for the $250 million project that city officials hope will transform the Russell Street corridor.

Cormony Development, the lead developer of Gateway South, showed a city design panel preliminary plans that include 1 million square feet of office space, an increase from the 600,000 originally proposed. The 1.5 million-square-foot project would also include a sports complex with indoor and outdoor playing fields, shops, restaurants and recreational activities such as indoor golf, a fitness center and swim club. It will house "The Ray of Hope Center," a tutoring and sports program for children run by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who is an equity partner in Gateway. It also will become the new site of a Greyhound bus terminal.
[snip]
Same amount of office space as Harbor East; two thirds of what's planned for Harbor Point. And yet, yeah: it's hard to get excited, in part 'cause the renderings so far have been pretty lame.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4951
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Wow! That's some real planning on the Russell St. project.

Let's put a daycare center and tutoring program next to a Greyhound bus terminal and name it after a guy who is incapable of putting together a grammtically correct sentence..
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #4952
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

I am posting from Portland, Ore. Visiting the Pacific NW. Remember all the talk about needing a certain amouont of residents and foot traffic to warrant retain downtown? Well, Portand is about a quarter of the size of Baltimore. There is less foot traffic during the day and very little evidence of residents in the CBD. But it has a Nordstroms, huge Macys under construction, Saks, Ambercrombie & Fitch, Nike Store and other large upscale retailers right downtown. Believe me the street activity appears to be far less than Balt's Inner Harbor area.

The only thing that makes a big difference here is mass Transit. They have two light rail/streetcat lines running through the CBD. Those services are heavily used. I think the investment in mass transit, bringing large numbers of people through the CBD stimulates investment. Anyway this small CBD has it all over Balt with reatail options. But I have not observed large numbers of shoppers.

One thing that Portland has going for it is night-life. Very upscale sophisticated restaurants and bars (lounges). These are well supported, even on weeknights.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4953
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Wow! That's some real planning on the Russell St. project.

Let's put a daycare center and tutoring program next to a Greyhound bus terminal and name it after a guy who is incapable of putting together a grammtically correct sentence..
I hope you are not talking about Ray Lewis. He is one of the more articulate and outspoken players in the NFL, and I know thats not saying much but he is still a class act.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4954
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Portland has always been one of the cities that I've been most interested in. It's renowned for its urban planning, but I've always heard the same things about it that you just mentioned - its one of the best shopping cities in the country, but there appear to be very few shoppers. I have a friend in school out there right now and the first thing she told me was that Portland has more upscale shops and department stores than Boston (her home), but the people still wear old jeans and hoodies most of the time. Sounds like my kind of place actually. But its interesting what image and perception can do for a place. Portland's transportation is better than Baltimore's, but an article that someone posted recently showed that only 13% of Portlanders use it, compared to 25% of Baltimoreans who use public transit.
Aside from all the prestige that Portland has with regards to its urban planning, I really think its success comes from its comparatively wealthy population and its very clean and well-organized downtown. Portland takes the "city beautiful" concept very seriously - clean, brickwork sidewalks, ornate benches and streetlamps, public art and gardens, and not a lot of filler. Portland has more interesting aspects per square mile/block/kilometer/whatever than most cities.

On a related note, whatever happened to Baltimore's plan to plant more trees in the city? Have any been planted?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #4955
DemolitionDave

Well, if your definition of class is getting busted for obstruction of justice......

And as for being articulate all I can remember is his comments on Chad Johnson "He do what he do and thats what he did"

But's it'really nice of them to include a miniature golf course so the vagrants will ahve something to do in between busses.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #4956
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
I am posting from Portland, Ore. Visiting the Pacific NW. Remember all the talk about needing a certain amouont of residents and foot traffic to warrant retain downtown? Well, Portand is about a quarter of the size of Baltimore. There is less foot traffic during the day and very little evidence of residents in the CBD. But it has a Nordstroms, huge Macys under construction, Saks, Ambercrombie & Fitch, Nike Store and other large upscale retailers right downtown. Believe me the street activity appears to be far less than Balt's Inner Harbor area.

The only thing that makes a big difference here is mass Transit. They have two light rail/streetcat lines running through the CBD. Those services are heavily used. I think the investment in mass transit, bringing large numbers of people through the CBD stimulates investment. Anyway this small CBD has it all over Balt with reatail options. But I have not observed large numbers of shoppers.

One thing that Portland has going for it is night-life. Very upscale sophisticated restaurants and bars (lounges). These are well supported, even on weeknights.
I know exactly what you mean. I am always amazed when I visit cities that are samller than Batimore, to find nice stores and upscale eateries in their CBD! I visited Charleston, South Carolina last September and they too have really nice stores like Saks as well as Armani etc. In Baltimore people make a big deal when a Filene's or Best Buy makes it. I am hoping that Harbor East will have a better class of stores but I doubt whether we would ever get a Nordstroms or anything like that in downtown Baltimore and I think the major reason is piss poor public transit.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4957
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I hope you are not talking about Ray Lewis. He is one of the more articulate and outspoken players in the NFL, and I know thats not saying much but he is still a class act.
Dunno Ray personally; he seems decent enough. A brother-in-law who lives in Atlanta told me recently that some folks there blame him for the demise of Buckhead Village as a party spot, with "Thanks, Ray" t-shirts abounding. On the other hand, he could claim credit for hastening its redevelopment into "the $1.2 billion Buckhead Avenues, touted by developers as a kind of Rodeo Drive East, or Soho South, with trendy high-end retail, hotels and posh residential living."
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4958
DemolitionDave

I have a brother who recently moved to mMidtown Atlanta from Buckhead and told me virtually the same thing. All the night clubs were closed and demolished.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #4959
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

I can't say what kind of economic impact he has had on Atlanta, but it would be ignorant to think he wanted anything to do with the events of that night. Nobody would. Moreover why be concerned with his effect on Atlanta when he positivly influencing Baltimore, and has done nothing but give his all and represent the entire state of Maryland proudly. Don't forget his little brother is a terp!
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #4960
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Well, if your definition of class is getting busted for obstruction of justice......
I don't judge people for their past transgressions they've already accepted as grave mistakes. I won't act like a fully understand the evnts of that night either, because from what I understand the people he was defending very well may've saved his life. And since that night, his record has been more than flawless. What good he has done for so many, now overshadows what wrongdoings he may've been a part of in the past. In my opinion.

Closed Thread