daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #4961
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
[snip] I doubt whether we would ever get a Nordstroms or anything like that in downtown Baltimore and I think the major reason is piss poor public transit.
Hmmm. Providence, RI, has a Nordie's, too, and modest public transport (but I-95 runs right behind it). Think the issue has more to do with being able to assemble a large enough footprint at the right price at a place where a lot of people with sufficient income congregate. Transit's not enough: Boston has pretty good public transit, but Downtown Crossing is in is down to one department store.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #4962
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

OJ Simpson still attends a lot of charitable events but I ain't ranking him high on my list either.

I was stopped at the light at Central and Bank and noticed that the Fallsway Spring Building has a zoning notice sign on it. They are putting in 40 residences and retail.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #4963
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Dunno Ray personally; he seems decent enough. A brother-in-law who lives in Atlanta told me recently that some folks there blame him for the demise of Buckhead Village as a party spot, with "Thanks, Ray" t-shirts abounding. On the other hand, he could claim credit for hastening its redevelopment into "the $1.2 billion Buckhead Avenues, touted by developers as a kind of Rodeo Drive East, or Soho South, with trendy high-end retail, hotels and posh residential living."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
I have a brother who recently moved to mMidtown Atlanta from Buckhead and told me virtually the same thing. All the night clubs were closed and demolished.
It's easy to see why Buckhead is falling out of fashion in Atlanta to Midtown. Buckhead is essentially a suburb with two large high end malls. It is extremely pedestrian unfriendly compared to Midtown, which is pretty walkable...by Atlanta standards. Midtown has Piedmont Park too.

Baltimore definitely does not want want Atlanta has with Buckhead...or even Midtown for that matter. Buckhead is two very upscale malls and a bunch of 400-600ft buildings set way back off the road.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4964
jamie_hunt

Quote:
I was stopped at the light at Central and Bank and noticed that the Fallsway Spring Building has a zoning notice sign on it. They are putting in 40 residences and retail.
Are they demo-ing Fallsway Spring? Great brickwork on that building, but doesn't seem large enough for that development program.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4965
DemolitionDave

They are demolishing all but 2 buildings. There will be 35,000SF of retail and office and 40 residences. The plan is to make central a grand boulevard from Fayette to the water. I can see it happening. They already have the wide medians.

My brothers place in Midtown has beautiful grounds and a pool. There is nothing better than floating around the pool at night looking up at the Atlanta skyline.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4966
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

As posted in March:

Deal near for latest Central Ave. rehab
Baltimore Business Journal - March 16, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Larry Silverstein developed the Canal Street Malt House luxury condos.
View Larger Fells Point developer Larry Silverstein wants to buy the former Fallsway Spring & Equipment Co., an industrial property in nearby Little Italy, and turn it into offices, retail space and about 40 residential condominiums.

Silverstein said he hopes to close on the property in about a month and could file development plans with the city this summer. He declined to disclose the sale price, which he said is between $1 million and $5 million. The deal would give Silverstein's Union Box Co. three of the four corners of Central Avenue at Bank Street, complementing his renovation of the former Holland Manufacturing Co.'s tack factory into a retail building on one corner and his Canal Street Malt House condominium project at another.

The tack factory, slated to open by June, will include two restaurants, a 12-lane bowling alley, a salon and a scooter shop. The Malt House includes 38 luxury condominium units selling for between $499,000 and $1 million, many of which have already been sold.

Silverstein said Central Avenue is one of the city's emerging economic development areas, with several positive signs of progress afoot or in the works. He said the city helped create some of that momentum several years ago with the redevelopment of the Flag House Courts housing project into what is now Albemarle Square, an 11.3-acre development with a mix of low-income and market-rate houses.

"Our intent was to kind of feed off of some of the successes they had with the Flag House," Silverstein said. "Central Avenue is appealing because there's many projects to be done there, as opposed to just one."

Silverstein said he is planning to spend about $15 million on the Fallsway Spring project, which will include about 35,000 square feet of office and retail space and between 35 and 42 residential condominium units. There are several buildings at the property, which spans most of the 400 block of Central Avenue, though all but two of them would be demolished.

Union Box also is planning to redevelop the former Saval Foods Corp. site at Central and Lombard streets near Albemarle Square into a 30-unit condominium building and recently entered into a negotiating agreement with the Baltimore Development Corp. to buy the city-owned land for $500,000. The city has not yet voted to approve the sale.

Baltimore City Planning Director Douglas B. McCoach III said the city hopes to see more redevelopment projects along Central Avenue. "We think that Central, from Fayette all the way down to the water, should be kind of a boulevard experience," McCoach said.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4967
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

105.7 & 1300 To Debut 6 PM Ravens Shows - 7/20 - Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis will host a weekly show during football season on CBS Radio's WHFS (105.7 FM) and WJFK-AM (1300). It'll be co-hosted by JFK-AM's Anita Marks and air Mondays between 6 PM and 8 PM from the Full Moon BBQ. The stations plan to air Ravens players' shows every weekday at 6 PM. DCRTV notes: Goodbye to that last hour of the DC-based Don and Mike show on Baltimore's 105.7.....
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #4968
jamie_hunt

Quote:
They are demolishing all but 2 buildings. There will be 35,000SF of retail and office and 40 residences. The plan is to make central a grand boulevard from Fayette to the water. I can see it happening. They already have the wide medians.
Thanks, DemolitionDave and 30Floors, for the update. Props to Silverstein, but with Central Ave needing a ton of work (the tunnel carrying Harford Run beneath it isn't in the greatest shape) and the rather decrepit Perkins Homes just to the northeast, he's taking a pretty big risk.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #4969
DemolitionDave

I see where Mckenzie is trying to sell the building on the corner of Fayette and Central. The one that kind of wraps around Eddies Glass Door Lounge. It's probably a tough sell because it abuts the homeless shelter.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #4970
GodricVT

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Thanks, DemolitionDave and 30Floors, for the update. Props to Silverstein, but with Central Ave needing a ton of work (the tunnel carrying Harford Run beneath it isn't in the greatest shape) and the rather decrepit Perkins Homes just to the northeast, he's taking a pretty big risk.
Interesting info on Harford Run. Somebody said to me the other day that they thought there should be a canal going down the middle of Central Ave and I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I get it! Open that sucker up and plant trees on either side of it and you have a pretty unique and potentially beautiful boulevard. Union Box's work along there looks fantastic so far.

I take your point about Perkins Homes. They're pretty ugly, but reasonably stable as projects go. I live on the other side of them, across Broadway in UFP. I hope that development around Central Ave finally makes a legitimate link between us and Little Italy because right now it's pretty desolate for three or four blocks.

I also heard from some SBER folks a few weeks ago that the bridge extending Central Ave. into Harborpoint is looking more and more like a go. As long as they build an attractive bridge I have no problem with this and I think it will alleviate some of the traffic concerns of the Fells Point proper folks.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4971
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I don't judge people for their past transgressions they've already accepted as grave mistakes. I won't act like a fully understand the evnts of that night either, because from what I understand the people he was defending very well may've saved his life. And since that night, his record has been more than flawless. What good he has done for so many, now overshadows what wrongdoings he may've been a part of in the past. In my opinion.
Yes, this is a good point BaltimoreBorn. The personal insults aren't necessary, Dave. If you don't like Ray, that's fine, but let's be happy that strip of land is being utilized. I think the main resentment comes with the fact that something forty-five to fifty floors isn't going to be put there. Some of us need to get out of this mindset that everything built here has to sore.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4972
GodricVT

BTW, speaking of Central Ave, anyone know what's happening with Somerset Courts? They're all boarded up.
GodricVT no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #4973
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Big tax breaks appear close for Harbor East development
By Jill Rosen | Sun reporter
July 20, 2007
A Harbor East development that will become Legg Mason's new corporate headquarters appears on the verge of getting millions of dollars in city tax breaks.

The City Council's Taxation and Finance Committee approved a bill yesterday that would forgive $33 million in taxes for H&S Properties Development Corp., owned by bakery magnate John Paterakis Sr., to construct a waterfront tower and an underground parking garage.

Though the $581 million project also includes another tower for a Four Seasons Hotel and condominiums, the tax break, among the largest granted by the city, applies only to the office portion and the garage.

Baltimore Development Corp. officials, who negotiated the deal, say that without the incentives the office would not be built, depriving Baltimore of 500 new jobs and the ability to keep the leading money management firm's 600 current jobs in town.

Even with the $33 million tax abatement, BDC President M.J. "Jay" Brodie said the twin towers would bring in $162.3 million in taxes -- including income, property and hotel taxes.

"Yes, the [tax break] totals roughly $33 million, but in the same period the city collects $162 million," he said. "That's basic arithmetic, that's basic economic development."

City Councilwomen Helen L. Holton, Rochelle "Rikki" Spector and Agnes Welch voted in favor of the bill while City Councilman Keiffer J. Mitchell Jr., a mayoral candidate who said last month that the incentive "didn't pass the smell test," abstained from the vote. He said afterward that he wanted to avoid a conflict because one of his campaign workers helped broker the deal.

Legg Mason announced in February that it planned to leave its signature skyscraper at 100 Light Street, the tallest building in the city, for Harbor East. Legg Mason expects to move nearly all of its Baltimore-area employees to the new building by 2009.

The City Council is considering a two-part tax break. One would last 25 years and apply to the $40 million, 1,200-space, below-ground parking garage to be shared by the office tower and the Four Seasons. Twenty-five years is the maximum length for a tax break of this type allowed by state law.

The other phase of the incentive, to run concurrently, would last 15 years and apply to the office space.

While the tax break is in effect, the developer would pay the full tax on the land, but only 5 percent of the tax it would normally pay on the buildings.

H&S Properties also asked for a tax break to support construction of the Four Seasons hotel and condominiums, but BDC declined because that part of the project would not produce that many jobs, Brodie said.

Michael S. Beatty, president of H&S Properties, told the committee yesterday that with building rents stagnant and construction costs rising, developers require assistance. He added that he thinks this particular incentives package is modest.

"The majority of this project is not subsidized," he said. "It's a very small assistance package in our mind."

Brodie said that in exchange for the incentive, the city would place a number of conditions on the developer -- requiring, for instance, that there be a minority equity partner, that Legg Mason occupy at least 325,000 square feet in the tower and that the developer share a certain percentage of the profits with the city.

"This is not in any remote sense a blank check," Brodie said.

Additionally, the city's transportation department is negotiating with H&S on steps that the developer would be required to take to soften the project's impact on area traffic.

Among other things, city officials would like H&S to consider reducing the size of the parking garage and shuttling people in from an off-site lot, paying to make President Street south of Fleet Street one-way southbound and paying to eliminate the mid- block signals along Broadway, Eastern Avenue, Fleet Street and Aliceanna Street.

A year ago, the city awarded the developer a $3.5 million tax break for the $201 million project rising at 800 Aliceanna St. Officials said H&S needed the subsidy to lower rents for its anchor office tenant, Laureate Education Inc., which had threatened to leave town.

In 2004, the city approved a $13.6 million break for Harbor East's Spinnaker Bay apartments. And years ago, the developer won $20 million in subsidies to build the Marriott Waterfront hotel.

The city did refuse tax breaks for a building that houses the Whole Foods and a Courtyard by Marriott.

At the 90-minute hearing yesterday, no one spoke in opposition.The full council will consider the bill Aug. 13, Holton said.

[email protected]
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #4974
Hugh Jaramillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
Interesting info on Harford Run. Somebody said to me the other day that they thought there should be a canal going down the middle of Central Ave and I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I get it! Open that sucker up and plant trees on either side of it and you have a pretty unique and potentially beautiful boulevard. Union Box's work along there looks fantastic so far.

I take your point about Perkins Homes. They're pretty ugly, but reasonably stable as projects go. I live on the other side of them, across Broadway in UFP. I hope that development around Central Ave finally makes a legitimate link between us and Little Italy because right now it's pretty desolate for three or four blocks.

I also heard from some SBER folks a few weeks ago that the bridge extending Central Ave. into Harborpoint is looking more and more like a go. As long as they build an attractive bridge I have no problem with this and I think it will alleviate some of the traffic concerns of the Fells Point proper folks.
What does UFP strand for?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4975
DemolitionDave

Upper Fells Point
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:34 AM   #4976
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Wow! That's some real planning on the Russell St. project.

Let's put a daycare center and tutoring program next to a Greyhound bus terminal and name it after a guy who is incapable of putting together a grammtically correct sentence..
Yup, they're giving those MBAs to anybody these days at the old Robert H. Smith School of Business in UMCP.

Did you assume he wasn't articulate because he's black?
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:08 AM   #4977
DemolitionDave

Who are you kidding? Ray Lewis doesn't have an MBA. That's too funny!

There are a whole bunch of old tunnels cris crossing Baltimore. I ahve an old map of Baltimore and it shows the tunnels as dotted lines. Because Baltimore was such a big railroad town there are a bunch of railway tunnels.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:13 AM   #4978
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

SS comes to stir $hit up
southbalto no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:17 AM   #4979
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

southbalto no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM   #4980
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
OJ Simpson still attends a lot of charitable events but I ain't ranking him high on my list either.
Mentioning OJ in any intelligent debate is forfeit by rule.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread