daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 21st, 2007, 03:00 AM   #4981
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Well you all, I have a little bit of news for you on 300 east Pratt Street....

Jeff Monge e-mailed this to me just a while ago.

About 40+ stories
900K SF
Negotiating with hotel investor/flag. This negotiation will dictate a lot
of changes likely. So not design or rendering to share yet. I have
something old that I don't think you would be happy with. We have signed a
lease for the sales office at the world trade center that we are designing
to start construction soon.

"40+ stories", not 50+ stories. Still, 900k sq. ft. isn't anything to laugh at!

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #4982
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Who are you kidding? Ray Lewis doesn't have an MBA. That's too funny!

There are a whole bunch of old tunnels cris crossing Baltimore. I ahve an old map of Baltimore and it shows the tunnels as dotted lines. Because Baltimore was such a big railroad town there are a bunch of railway tunnels.
He's graduated an has a degree, why do you think the things you think?

Last edited by Silver Springer; July 21st, 2007 at 03:44 AM.
Silver Springer no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #4983
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Sales Office

Would the sales office be for the condo's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

About 40+ stories
900K SF

fanofterps no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4984
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I think there will be some condos, yes. Not as many as originally planned.
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM   #4985
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricVT View Post
Interesting info on Harford Run. Somebody said to me the other day that they thought there should be a canal going down the middle of Central Ave and I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I get it! Open that sucker up and plant trees on either side of it and you have a pretty unique and potentially beautiful boulevard. Union Box's work along there looks fantastic so far.....
Opening up that thing might not be a good idea. That stream was probably closed in because it was so awful. Urban streams pick up gas and oil, tire and brake dust, soda bottles, eroded soil, etc. The comparable Jones Falls is fairly clean above Northern Parkway but by the time it gets downtown, you have to protect the harbor water (!!!) from the water in that steam.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:29 AM   #4986
scando

Quote:
Big tax breaks appear close for Harbor East development
By Jill Rosen | Sun reporter
July 20, 2007
A Harbor East development that will become Legg Mason's new corporate headquarters appears on the verge of getting millions of dollars in city tax breaks.

The City Council's Taxation and Finance Committee approved a bill yesterday that would forgive $33 million in taxes for H&S Properties Development Corp., owned by bakery magnate John Paterakis Sr., to construct a waterfront tower and an underground parking garage.

Though the $581 million project also includes another tower for a Four Seasons Hotel and condominiums, the tax break, among the largest granted by the city, applies only to the office portion and the garage.....
These sort of deals often seem like and are perceived by critics as "giveaways" but they are generally a really good deal for the city. Generally the city gets the taxes it would have gotten if nothing got built rather than the taxes on the new building in a lump sum to cover a span of years. The benefit, however, is that the people in that building buy stuff, live, pay taxes, etc so in the larger sense, the city profits. Usually the bean counters spend a bunch of time doing the math before they make these deals. Unfortunately news reporters often label these as corporate welfare but when it means that the town gets a development worth $581 million full of tax paying warm bodies and big spenders, it's hard to see that as a loss.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #4987
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Who are you kidding? Ray Lewis doesn't have an MBA. That's too funny!
not only does ray lewis not have an mba, he didnt even go to maryland. his BA is from UMUC.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4988
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

What do you guys think of the 300 east pratt news. I'm eager to hear your comments.
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM   #4989
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i'm "somewhat" pleased with the news. 900k sq. ft sounds really nice, but can't give a legitmate answer until i see actual renderings.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; July 21st, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM   #4990
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

btw, ANOTHER banner in the books for los angeles......
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4991
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
What do you guys think of the 300 east pratt news. I'm eager to hear your comments.
Overall I think very good and straightforward. Depending on the actual design, 40 stories can be quite tall, especially when you factor in a possible crown. However, it will probably just have the Baltimore 'hat'

The fact they have signed a lease for a sales office means things are definitely in motion.

Of all the large projects in the pipeline, this developer seems to be the most open. If he's got something interesting to feed us, he'll let us know, but its nothing Earth shattering, just enough to let us know things are happening. Plus he kept his word that he'd give you something this week. I imagine we have a rendering by the Septermber's end. Construction to start by next summer, probably before 10 IH.

Nothing to be dissapointed about, we will have at least 3 buildings with 40+ stories done around 2010-11
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM   #4992
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I asked him, (Jeff Monge), about a crown, if any, and he said, "Economics is a driver of design."So, basically, the hotel Flag should have a good bit to do with the design overall, including the crown. So, maybe, when they get their Flag then they'll know more specifically what the design will shape up to be. But like said before, 900k sf. is pretty large for that site. And that sales office does sound very promising that it is going forward much faster than 10 IH. The way the 300 East Pratt Street is going, it will break ground before 10 IH.

Last edited by StevenW; July 21st, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
StevenW no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM   #4993
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

BTW, I updated the wikipedia page on "10 IH".
here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Inner_Harbor
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM   #4994
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Artscape Underway in Baltimore
Posted By: christian schaffer

Artscape 2007 is underway in Baltimore’s Mount Royal neighborhood.
It’s the region’s biggest festival of the arts – with more than 170 exhibitors displaying jewelry, paintings, sculpture, ceramics and more.

Some of the biggest attractions are the “Art Cars.” Conrad Bladey of Linthicum says his 1965 Dodge Coronet used to be “robin egg blue with a lot of rust.” Now it’s covered in paint, buttons, shoes and discarded office equipment. There’s even a trumpet on the hood hooked up to a tube that extends into the driver’s seat, so Bladey can play it while he’s driving.

Bladey says the theme of the car is his view of the state, of the state of Maryland. “The red reflects power, the map is deconstructed, the black lines represent over-development,” Bladey said.

Saturday at 1:00 all of the Art Cars will travel in a parade through the Artscape grounds.

There's also live music all weekend, on four stages. And the food is always a big attraction. It’s gotten so big that some people call the festival "Food-scape.”

To counter that, this year organizers put more art in the food court. One of the pieces is Dan Van Allen's tree-house carnival booth. It's chock full of prizes, but he says, “They're all out of reach and there's no way to win them and you can see I also have the signs love and freedom so sometimes everybody wants them but they're not so easy to get either."

Artscape runs through the weekend, and ends Sunday night at 8:00. Organizers are expecting more than 500,000 people to attend, which is why they say you should use public transportation if you plan to visit.

Anyone going?
If so, please take some pictures.
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:22 PM   #4995
scando

Quote:
Artscape Underway in Baltimore
Posted By: christian schaffer

Artscape 2007 is underway in Baltimore’s Mount Royal neighborhood.
It’s the region’s biggest festival of the arts – with more than 170 exhibitors displaying jewelry, paintings, sculpture, ceramics and more.

Some of the biggest attractions are the “Art Cars.” Conrad Bladey of Linthicum says his 1965 Dodge Coronet used to be “robin egg blue with a lot of rust.” Now it’s covered in paint, buttons, shoes and discarded office equipment. There’s even a trumpet on the hood hooked up to a tube that extends into the driver’s seat, so Bladey can play it while he’s driving.

Bladey says the theme of the car is his view of the state, of the state of Maryland. “The red reflects power, the map is deconstructed, the black lines represent over-development,” Bladey said.

Saturday at 1:00 all of the Art Cars will travel in a parade through the Artscape grounds.

There's also live music all weekend, on four stages. And the food is always a big attraction. It’s gotten so big that some people call the festival "Food-scape.”

To counter that, this year organizers put more art in the food court. One of the pieces is Dan Van Allen's tree-house carnival booth. It's chock full of prizes, but he says, “They're all out of reach and there's no way to win them and you can see I also have the signs love and freedom so sometimes everybody wants them but they're not so easy to get either."

Artscape runs through the weekend, and ends Sunday night at 8:00. Organizers are expecting more than 500,000 people to attend, which is why they say you should use public transportation if you plan to visit.

Anyone going?
If so, please take some pictures.
This is such a great event. I went last night and while it's somewhat predictable, the predictability is in a good way. Lots of people, in a good mood, lots of art and music, all free for the looking. Los Lonely Boys did an excellent set, the art cars were there and, for once, there seemed to be enough portable potties that you didn't end up doing that special dance while you waited for one. I generally ride the light rail to work and it's usually quiet as people nod or sink into their reading material or media player, but last night it was stuffed with riders and lots of chatter, all ending up walking around downtown. This is the way it should be all the time.

I do wonder how all this will change when the Bolton Yards project begins. That parking lot is food central and is the largest uninterrupted space in the area. I noticed that this year they had a number or artists place large works in different parts of the city (a friend has one in front of the Convention Center, courtesy of Artscape). I wonder if this is promotion or are they thinking about moving.
scando no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM   #4996
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
This is great news Steven! What does 40 stories @ 900k translate to in height? It surely won't be the new tallest, but it should fit real nice on
that piece of property.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM   #4997
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Missed opportunity in Canton - has anyone noticed that brick POS going up on Boston Street across from red fish? I know space is limited on that parcel, but its ashame there was no community outcry over that crap. A innovative, progressive design wouldve worked better. Maybe a glass structure or something. Nothing too outrageous, but something.

Also, what's going on with the parking lot next to The Cresant in Fells Point? Is there even a plan to develop that?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM   #4998
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Emporis

Baltimore has dropped from 18th to 19th in over all size on emporis.com
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM   #4999
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

About 40+ stories
900K SF

If it's less than 500ft I'll be disappointed.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #5000
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

I went to Artscape last night and saw the Los Lonely Boys too. It was a great time. I saw a great representative slice of Baltimore demographics from TV stars to derelicts. It's great for people watching. I am going back today and tomorrow. The only thing I hate about it is the parking. Of course the City had a small army of parking ticket writers. I noticed that they gave a ticket to the church bus parked in front of the church! We are heading back today and probably tomorrow too. One nice thing is that Artscape is known worldwide.
On another note, is there any other town that you know of that has such an incredible music lineup in the summer? We have the free jazz festival at Inner Harbor East coming up along with the Pier 6 concert series plus Virgin Fest.

I pass that brick eyesore on Boston street almost everyday. But it is nothing compared to that tin abomination at the Can Company which holds the Starbucks.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  

Closed Thread