daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM   #5001
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
What do you guys think of the 300 east pratt news. I'm eager to hear your comments.
I'm happy with the news, and I'm anxious for them to get started. It'll be cool once they open a sales office. 40+ stories is more than enough for me. So long as the building has some great retail and interacts well with Pratt and Lombard, the stories on top are just icing on the cake. It'll be interesting to see which hotel they land. A nice hotel might be our best chance for a nice crown.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM   #5002
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Also, what's going on with the parking lot next to The Cresant in Fells Point? Is there even a plan to develop that?
there was a plan some time ago to to develop 28 4-story townhomes on that property by a group called Gunn Financial. they were gonna' call it "henderson's pier", but i don't know what ever became of it. i'm guessing this project might've fallen victim to the slumping market.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:04 AM   #5003
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
there was a plan some time ago to to develop 28 4-story townhomes on that property by a group called Gunn Financial. they were gonna' call it "henderson's pier", but i don't know what ever became of it. i'm guessing this project might've fallen victim to the slumping market.
Also, on the other side of the Crescent, Union Box Company was to build an office and condo development.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:20 AM   #5004
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
What do you guys think of the 300 east pratt news. I'm eager to hear your comments.
40 or 50 stories doesn't really matter to me. As long as we get a good looking building that will add to the area on street level.
jpav no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #5005
JoeKen

Quote:
Well you all, I have a little bit of news for you on 300 east Pratt Street....

Jeff Monge e-mailed this to me just a while ago.

About 40+ stories
900K SF
Negotiating with hotel investor/flag. This negotiation will dictate a lot
of changes likely. So not design or rendering to share yet. I have
something old that I don't think you would be happy with. We have signed a
lease for the sales office at the world trade center that we are designing
to start construction soon.

"40+ stories", not 50+ stories. Still, 900k sq. ft. isn't anything to laugh at!
Hi there....first time poster, long time reader here.

Frankly, as long as the building is elegant, not brick, and has significant street appeal, I am ok with the 40+. Very interested in who will be named as the hotel flagship. Would love to see St Regis, W, or Le Meridian.
JoeKen no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM   #5006
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Welcome to the Forum, JoeKen! Please start posting. We'd love to know your thoughts on these subjects.

And, yes, I'd like to see a St. Regis as a Flag at 300 East Pratt Street, myself. I believe that the St. Regis was the first proposed Hotel Flag for the 414 Light Street address way back when.

But you know, I'd REALLY love to see a Ritz Hotel go there the most.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM   #5007
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

New Worlds Tallest!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #5008
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Just saw it this a.m. Very clean, but the lack of sub-headlines means clicking more frequently to see if an article's worth checking out. Reading the dead-tree edition is a lot faster.
The Print Edition pages of The Sun website still have the subheadlines and are a much less cluttered read.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM   #5009
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Cool and quirky Baltimore is becoming a hot destination
This city of rough edges, rough folks lives up to the name Charm City

JUDITH RITTER
CanWest News Service; National Post

Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Baltimore of my imagination as a teenager growing up in the northeastern United States was urban, gritty and, above all, black. The soundscape of my imagined Baltimore was a Billie Holiday tune, Lady Sings the Blues, which I listened to on an old, scratched record picked up at a yard sale.

But it wasn't until recently that I experienced Baltimore in real life, the Baltimore of Billie Holiday, cool jazz, hot crab, tall ships and some of the best art in the United States. Charm City, as it's called, also prides itself on being offbeat, even quirky. And Baltimore, with its fine weather, revitalized historic harbour and access to beaches is a great spring and summer destination: kitschy and cultured, gritty and elegant.

Of course, my first stop was to hunt out my imaginary Baltimore. Baltimore is more than 60 per cent black American, with a vibrant cultural scene and profound black history. Not only is it the birthplace of Billie Holiday, it was home to abolitionist Frederick Douglass, an important member of the Underground Railroad.

The best way to enjoy Baltimore's black community, past and present, is to take a tour of the landmarks with Tom Saunders, a man with a passion for the city's history and architecture.

Saunders takes visitors to sites such as the National Great Blacks in Wax Museum, with its wax renditions of jazz greats and heroes of the civil-rights movement. Another stop is an 18th-century black church with a secret tunnel that was part of the escaped slaves' route to freedom. And, of course, we pay our regards at the statue of Billie Holiday.

Saunders, a jazz fan himself, says that Billie Holiday's singing career began in the Fells Point area of the city, in a "low house." But the Fells Point of "low houses," once a rough-and-tumble shipbuilding neighbourhood where sailmakers plied their trade and ladies of the night hawked their wares to sailors from around the world, is now funky and fabulous. Narrow cobblestone streets lead from the waterfront to small shops, restaurants and bars. There is still a taste of rugged sailor life to be found in convivial pubs like the Cat's Eye, but if you really want to feel like a sailor, haul off for the Baltimore Tattoo Museum (and tattoo parlour) and get yourself inked, sailor-style.

If gritty isn't your cup of tea, there's Greek-chic. The Black Olive Restaurant, in a restored 18th-century building, offers fresh, mostly organic produce and puts a Greek spin on Baltimore's favourite seafood dish: crab. Eating crab isn't just a meal; it's a social event. Dozens of restaurants specialize in the crustacean, from the toney to the scruffy.

The most authentic crab "experience" is to eat them steamed in the rough, and one of the best places to do that and mix with locals is at Captain James. The restaurant itself is shaped like an ocean liner, but for real bliss we sit outside by the water at a wooden picnic table covered with coarse brown paper. George Tserkis, the owner, and a crab expert, dumps a mallet, a roll of paper towels and a couple of dozen steamed crabs in front of us with the warning, "When you eat crabs, it's gonna be messy!"

Our waterside table is only one way to see Baltimore's inner harbour. The most novel and amusing way to get around the central area of Baltimore is to hire one of the little blue-and-white water taxis that zip commuters across the inner harbour to any number of city sites.

The harbour has a rich history and today is filled with heritage sea vessels of all description. In the earliest days of Colonial America, it was the site of battles against the British and an important port for shipping tobacco. Today the harbour is a magnet for tourists.

Baltimore was a city of rough edges, rough folks - unlike blue-blood Philadelphia to the north and elegant Washington to the south. Though Baltimore has spiffed up over the past decade, there is still something almost joyously working class about it. Even the art here celebrates the extraordinary in the ordinary, in what might be two of the quirkiest collections in the United States.

The collection at the American Visionary Art Museum includes 5,000 outrageous works by such self-taught artists as farmers, postmen, housewives and just plain folk who were struck by a powerful vision to create works of art. The artists used old machinery parts, buttons, paper plates and other "art supplies" available to ordinary people to create their masterpieces.

Also wildly eccentric were Baltimore sisters Etta and Claribel Cone. And thanks to the shopping spree the wealthy siblings embarked on in early 20th-century Paris, the Baltimore Museum of Art has the largest collection of Matisses in the United States and one of the country's best collections of Impressionist painting and sculpture.

There are so many things to discover in Baltimore, but sitting in the New Haven Lounge, a jazz spot in a little strip mall, eating spicy steamed shrimp under the soft breeze of a ceiling fan and in the blue neon light of a beer sign, it's clear Baltimore isn't a city that boasts about its charm. But if you stop for a while, you'll discover why this old tobacco and shipbuilding port is called Charm City. And if you listen hard, my bar-stool neighbour George Manning, a local jazz DJ, says, "You can almost hear Billie's voice."

IF YOU GO:

Peak season for crab, Baltimore's favourite seafood, runs from July through September.

HOTELS WITH A HARBOUR VIEW

- InterContinental Harbor Court Baltimore (550 Light St.; harborcourt.com) has, according to one Conde Nast Traveler survey, one of the two best restaurants in the United States, the Hampton.

- The Hyatt Regency (300 Light St.; baltimore.hyatt.com) houses Pisces, a seafood spot reputed to be the restaurant with both the best view and the best chocolate martini in the city.

BLACK HISTORY

- National Great Blacks in Wax Museum (1601-03 East North Ave.; ngbiwm.com)

- New Haven Lounge (1552 Havenwood Rd.)

- New Duffy's Restaurant and Lounge (3436 Frederick Ave.)

- Black History Tour (renaissanceproductions.biz)

FELLS POINT

- Cat's Eye Pub (1730 Thames St.; catseyepub.com)

- Baltimore Tattoo Museum (534 Eastern Ave.)

- Black Olive Restaurant (theblackolive.com)

CRAB

- Captain James Landing (2127 Boston St.; captainjameslanding. com)

WATER TAXI

- thewatertaxi.com

GALLERIES

- Baltimore Museum of Art (10 Art Museum Dr.; artbma.org)

- Visionary Art Museum (avam.org)
© The Gazette (Montreal) 2007
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #5010
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
Every time I fill up my gas tank I think of that building and throw up a little in my mouth. The amount of money we throw away on gas is disgusting.

Edit: I think 300 E Pratt is going to be a new tallest.

Last edited by modestproposal; July 22nd, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #5011
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
This is a joke, right?
No it's not a joke. Do the research before you allow your political persuasions to get in the way of facts. And by the way, I don't care for Bush.

From OnlineJournal:

President Bush's personal income, capital gains and dividend tax rate reductions have created economic growth, significantly increased government tax receipts, and reduced the federal deficit by nearly $130 billion. As the New York Times was forced to admit in its front-page headline on July 9, a "Surprising Jump in Tax Revenues Curbs U.S. Deficit." But it isn't surprising at all; the truth is that when tax rates go down, economic activity goes up.

Mr. Bush signed the most recent tax cuts into law in the spring of 2003. In the past 33 months the size of America's entire economy has increased by 20%--or, as National Review Online's Larry Kudlow put it, "In less than three years, the U.S. economic pie has expanded by $2.2 trillion, an output add-on that is roughly the same size as the total Chinese economy."

In the 2 1/4 years before the 2003 tax cuts, economic growth averaged 1.1% annually; in the three years since it has averaged 4% per year, and in the first quarter of this year it was 5.6% on an annualized basis. Inflation-adjusted per capita GDP has grown 7.8% from 2003 through the first quarter of this year.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM   #5012
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
I hope you are not talking about Ray Lewis. He is one of the more articulate and outspoken players in the NFL, and I know thats not saying much but he is still a class act.
Real class act there! I wonder who else you think is a class act. Michael Vick?
k25150 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:34 AM   #5013
BigBalto1

http://www.armadahoffler.com/fsCamera.html

The Four Seaons has a web cam to view construction
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5014
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
They have so much oil money over there it isn't funny. Some of it has recently come to Baltimore. As many of you know, I go up to the 32nd floor of the Marriott each weekend to take photographs of 414 Water (Now on week 80 - I'll be so glad when it's done).

Three weeks ago, when the elevator doors opened I was greeted by 5 goons who told me that "This is a private floor - please leave.” Come to find out, someone from the United Arab Emirates has rented the entire top floor of the hotel for 3 F*C&ING MONTHS! So for 3 months, I have to settle for 31st floor photographs.

The United Arab Emirates recently gave a "Transformational" gift to Johns Hopkins. It was enough to have one of the two new hospital towers currently under construction named after the Sheik’s deceased father. I'm sure there is a connection there some place. BTW, transformational = > $100,000,000.00 and most likely much more.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 23rd, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM   #5015
30 Floors Up

According to the "Armada Hoffer Hospitality Projects" portfolio on their web site (see cam link above), the Marriott Harbor East is 1.1 million square feet. That means that 300 East Pratt will be 200,000 square feet smaller than the Marriott. It is going to be interesting to see what 300 looks like since the footprint is smaller.

Interesting view of the Vue from said site.

And all of Harbor East

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 23rd, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM   #5016
30 Floors Up

Retail Rumors:

I ran into someone who works in the Verizon building this weekend. He told me that he heard that the following stores may be opening in the new retail space.

1. Edgars, the pool hall, is now staying and expanding.

2. Joseph Banks and Legal Seafood may be relocating their Downtown stores to the Verizon site. (Looks like the current Legal Seafood site has a leasing sign above it)

3. L.L. Bean!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; July 23rd, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #5017
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

LL Bean would be nice.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #5018
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
Every time I fill up my gas tank I think of that building and throw up a little in my mouth. The amount of money we throw away on gas is disgusting.

Edit: I think 300 E Pratt is going to be a new tallest.
You do realize that Dubai is the Emirate with the least amount of oil, and that everything built there is because of tourism, shipping, and shopping, right?
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #5019
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
40+ and 900k sq feet, is indeed nothing to sneeze at. I am excited that progress is happening, but I'll withhold judgment until I see a rendering.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #5020
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

Naing towers

Traveling down Guilford the other day I noticed for sale signs on the parking lot across from hammerjacks. Isn't this the Naing towers site? For sale signs are also on the sale one block south at Saratoga St.

Anyone have any further word on the project? Delayed or scaled down is one thing, but maybe this overly grand project has fallen through.
probaltimore no está en línea  

Closed Thread