daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 03:30 PM   #5141
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Good news to start the day...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,3588790.story

Old store on city's west side gets new tenants, technology
By Edward Gunts | sun architecture critic
July 31, 2007
Article Tools

The old Stewart's department store downtown never contained a chapel for weekday Mass. Or a meditation space for Muslims. Or an upper-level "situation room" to cope with tsunamis and other disasters.

Those are just a few of the additions made to the structure built in 1899, which reopens today after a $42.7 million conversion to become the new world headquarters of Catholic Relief Services, the international relief and development agency of the U. S. Roman Catholic community.
pfd103 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM   #5142
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

More Good News

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,3177966.story

Quote:
In an area emerging as a hub of boutique and small hotels, a Hotel Monaco is slated to open by 2009 in downtown Baltimore's historic B&O Building at Charles and Baltimore streets, part of a $60 million project by Philadelphia-based ARCWheeler.
Quote:
Besides the 208-room boutique hotel, to be operated by San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group on the top seven floors, plans calls for renovation of 60,000 square feet of office space on four floors. The developer will also refurbish the marble lobby and add a day spa and restaurant, which would also be operated by Kimpton. The hotel will include 15,000 square feet of meeting space and offer valet parking.
Quote:
The project is the second the developer has announced in the city. ARCWheeler is planning a 59-story skyscraper housing a hotel, condos, loft homes, offices and shops at 414 Light St. in the Inner Harbor on a parking lot where a McCormick & Co. spice factory once stood.
ARCWheeler is embarking on plans for the B&O at a time when a record 1,631 hotel rooms are under construction downtown, with the city-owned Hilton convention hotel accounting for nearly half of those, according to the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore. Another 842 rooms are planned.
Very good article!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM   #5143
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Hotel Monaco...great news!!!!
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM   #5144
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Hotel Monaco...great news!!!!
Good pic of the lobby on the main page too...

pfd103 no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5145
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
It seems by the last page of that doc that they are considering some type of icon for the park (they show that reflective globe thing, the london eye, and a few other icons from different cities).

"Cloud Gate" is a cool piece of work, well suited for its location in Chicago's Millennium Park. Something similar would work well on Rash Field, reflecting the harbor, sky, and skyline.

I expect some art will find its way into the redesigned park, complementing Kenneth Snelson's "Easy Landing" in front of the Science Center

and Mark di Suvero's "Under Sky/One Family" next to the World Trade Center

Heck, maybe Jonathan Borofsky's "Male/Female" will sashay south from Penn Station ...

jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5146
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

More news for today....

Mass. restaurant chain to open 40 locations in region

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...30/daily8.html

On a related note about restaurants expanding in the area, some family friends of mine are opening an upscale bar/restaurant and bowling alley in Little Italy called Mustang Alley's (I think the grand opening might be tomorrow actually, but I'm not sure). Anyway, even though the first one hasn't opened yet, apparently the response has already been so positive that they're already planning to open a second one somewhere in the city, not sure where though. I'm curious how a bowling alley in Little Italy will affect the prospects of the Lucky Strike at the Cordish site though.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #5147
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I'd love to see a signature art piece at Rash Field as well, but I'm so happy with these renderings that I'd be hesitant to accept any changes at all. I love the idea of the big open field, and really any art piece worthy of the title signature will probably be large enough to significantly shrink down the size of the open space. Perhaps the signature art piece should be saved for the park in Harbor Point. It might be cool to have some great artwork jutting out into the harbor on the edge of that peninsula.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5148
thrill
thrill

Likes (Received): 2

Greetings from Seattle.
The building I live in is on the banner. Too hard to explain exactly where it is, but it's on the water and looks like a giant concrete slab. Sexy!
I'll be in Charm City at the end of the month and am very excited to see what's going on at Harbor East and the Verizon building.
I lived there for 23 years and didn't see as much development in that time as has happened since I left two and a half years ago. Go figure. But Baltimore is ALWAYS home and I couldn't be more excited about what's happening there.
thrill no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5149
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I'm curious how a bowling alley in Little Italy will affect the prospects of the Lucky Strike at the Cordish site though.
I'm wondering the same thing. Lucky Strike would seem to have an advantage in that it'll attract families going to Port Discovery and partiers at Power Plant Live. Won't need to re-park to bowl. Hope Mustang Alley does well, though. Would be great for the overall redevelopment of Central Avenue East. Is MA ducks or ten pins?
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:16 AM   #5150
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Lucky Strike would seem to have an advantage in that it'll attract families going to Port Discovery and partiers at Power Plant Live. Won't need to re-park to bowl. Hope Mustang Alley does well, though. Would be great for the overall redevelopment of Central Avenue East. Is MA ducks or ten pins?
Both according to the website...4 lanes ducks, 8 ten.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:59 AM   #5151
Amd1588

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
I've been to Atlanta and I don't see it. I don't see what's so great about it. Like you guys said, there is no there. There is no cental downtown. No density. It all looks too planned. And what is so wonderful about Buckhead! It's certainly no Georgetown or Connecticut Ave. I bet they have some killer suburban neighborhoods. It helps to be a big media center. You can give yourself props all the time.

Charlotte is a wannabe city. You guys ever fly over it? There is nothing to it. It's downtown looks like Towson only with 2 tall skrapers.
Sound's like someone has been drinking "haterade" to me. This is very childish. Why are these kind of things really important to you guys? Lol, do you feel inferior or something???lol. I'd be interested in what people in European cities would have to say about places in the Northeast. Or Overdeveloped Asian cities, lol. I mean this is really ridiculous, why not just respect places for what they are. I have never known any city in the south to claim that it has the same urban development as places in the north, but many people from these places insist on pointing it out.... And what;s Ironic is that a great majority of the people in the cookie-cutter suburbs in the sunbelt cities are native's or the northeast.
Amd1588 no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:13 AM   #5152
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Old BGE Building

Ran across this website for the Old BGE building...........

http://39westlex.com/
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM   #5153
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Nice site!
Like this view:
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM   #5154
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

That's gonna be a great building.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM   #5155
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I agree. The Southern cities do not have the historic character of the east and lack the waterfront(Atlanta, Charlotte). I think the reason Atlanta and Charlotte boomed with population is based mostly on cheap cost of living and not its beauty.

Originally Posted by k25150
I've been to Atlanta and I don't see it. I don't see what's so great about it. Like you guys said, there is no there. There is no cental downtown. No density. It all looks too planned. And what is so wonderful about Buckhead! It's certainly no Georgetown or Connecticut Ave. I bet they have some killer suburban neighborhoods. It helps to be a big media center. You can give yourself props all the time.

Charlotte is a wannabe city. You guys ever fly over it? There is nothing to it. It's downtown looks like Towson only with 2 tall skrapers.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:11 AM   #5156
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
That's gonna be a great building.
yep, it sure is. nice-lookin' apartments.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM   #5157
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Mass. restaurant chain to open 40 locations in region

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...30/daily8.html

On a related note about restaurants expanding in the area, some family friends of mine are opening an upscale bar/restaurant and bowling alley in Little Italy called Mustang Alley's (I think the grand opening might be tomorrow actually, but I'm not sure). Anyway, even though the first one hasn't opened yet, apparently the response has already been so positive that they're already planning to open a second one somewhere in the city, not sure where though. I'm curious how a bowling alley in Little Italy will affect the prospects of the Lucky Strike at the Cordish site though.
Unfortunately, "Locally, Grimes said he does not plan to open any Fresh City locations within Baltimore City. He is scouting locations as far south as Columbia and as far north as White Marsh.". Why? We're not as good as White Marsh?
scando no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM   #5158
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

Southern cities do not have historic character???? Have you ever been to Charleston or Savannah?

After the Civil War the Union army burned most of the southern cities down.

Speaking of burned cities. When we were working on the Water Street site we found a basement that nobody knew was there. It dated from Baltimore's Great Fire. We found all kinds of interesting stuff in the ashes.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:19 AM   #5159
scando

Quote:
I'd love to see a signature art piece at Rash Field as well, but I'm so happy with these renderings that I'd be hesitant to accept any changes at all. I love the idea of the big open field, and really any art piece worthy of the title signature will probably be large enough to significantly shrink down the size of the open space. Perhaps the signature art piece should be saved for the park in Harbor Point. It might be cool to have some great artwork jutting out into the harbor on the edge of that peninsula.
We seem to have a strange relation to big art in Baltimore. Considering all of the controversy about the male/female at Penn Station, remembering when the Federal judges wanted the art removed from their front yard (terrorists might hide in it), the controversy in Anne Arundel where locals/yokels thought that art in their park was a pagan sacrificial altar and had to see it destroyed, I'm not sure this town is ready for "signature" art.
scando no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:28 AM   #5160
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Southern cities do not have historic character???? Have you ever been to Charleston or Savannah?

After the Civil War the Union army burned most of the southern cities down.
Fine cities that just exude historical character. Charleston in particular has kept it's ambience, in spite of the war, hurricanes, and the earthquake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Speaking of burned cities. When we were working on the Water Street site we found a basement that nobody knew was there. It dated from Baltimore's Great Fire. We found all kinds of interesting stuff in the ashes.
Back in '04 (the centennial), the Maryland Historical Society published an good book on the fire. "The Great Baltimore Fire" is a good blow-by-blow narrative with lots of photos. They are really strange because there are many that are areas somewhat recognizable, but in utter chaos and destruction.
scando no está en línea  

Closed Thread