daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM   #5161
RavensFan0606

Likes (Received): 112

Anything new on 10 Inner Harbor? On when it will break ground or anything?
“Neighborhoods built up all at once change little physically over the years as a rule...[Residents] regret that the neighborhood has changed. Yet the fact is, physically it has changed remarkably little. People's feelings about it, rather, have changed. The neighborhood shows a strange inability to update itself, enliven itself, repair itself, or to be sought after, out of choice, by a new generation. It is dead. Actually it was dead from birth, but nobody noticed this much until the corpse began to smell.”
RavensFan0606 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM   #5162
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Nothing yet. It's been quiet for a while.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5163
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan0606 View Post
Anything new on 10 Inner Harbor? On when it will break ground or anything?
Hey, RavensFan0606. Welcome!

BTW, here is Arcwheeler's e-mail address: [email protected]

Maybe you can e-mail them and see if they will give you an "update" on the 10 Inner Harbor project. They probably would respond to you quicker than me, since I've e-mailed them so many times in the past. They may like to see a new person.
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5164
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yep, it sure is. nice-lookin' apartments.
Wow!! is that one of the models? Or are they already finished. It looks awesome.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM   #5165
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Hot-lanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd1588 View Post
Sound's like someone has been drinking "haterade" to me. [snip] I'd be interested in what people in European cities would have to say about places in the Northeast. [snip]
"Haterade." I'm stealing that.

Hosted some rugby players from the UK some years back. They said Baltimore reminded them of home. Lived in London some time ago; reminded me of home, too.

Interesting article from someone who lives in and loves Atlanta (only not so much this time of year) in this month's Smithsonian.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #5166
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

Another neat thing about that job was when trying to dig out the footers for the old building we realized how Water Street got it's name. That is where the water ended almost everything south of Water street is built on fill. We were digging up massive amounts of oyster shells which had been used for backfill.

That reminds me of another project, at the old City Hospital (now FSK Medical Center) we were digging up footers and found a bunch of skeletons. The front yard of the hospital is one mass grave. During they flu epidemic in th late 1890's people were dying faster than they could bury them so they just dug a big pit in the front yard.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5167
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Hmmm. Hopkins had the same problem when they built the oncology center on the NE corner of Broadway and Orleans.

[snip]

"Plans to build a new oncology center with every cancer service under one roof had been announced in 1993. But preliminary drawings calling for a six-story structure on the site of the Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic provoked an outcry from preservationists who revered the 1913 architectural gem that had housed the storied clinic. Phipps was spared the wrecking ball, but when ground was broken for the new oncology center on the corner of Orleans and Broadway, 400 ancient graves discovered on the site delayed construction considerably."

[snip]

Made for some interesting work for some local archeologists.

Incidentally, this excerpt is from a longer article about building at Hopkins Hospital/Med School
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5168
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

City development arm seeking proposals for new arena construction
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:48 PM EDT Wednesday, August 1, 2007by Ryan SharrowStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
The Baltimore Development Corp. has taken another step toward replacing the 45-year-old First Mariner Arena.

BDC is asking developers to submit proposals for identifying possible sites for a new arena and ways to finance the project, which could cost as much as $160 million.

Interested groups will have until Oct. 30 to respond to the city's bid -- known as a "request for expression of interest."

A study in May revealed deficiencies on the current arena, which is bounded by Hopkins Place and Lombard, Howard and West Baltimore streets.

The $100,000 study was released by the Maryland Stadium Authority and primarily funded by the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development, Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc., and the Greater Baltimore Committee.

At a press conference unveiling the study, Downtown Partnership President J. Kirby Fowler said: "It's time to test the market to see how much the private sector can step up."

Plans for the new arena call for 10 to 20 luxury suites and 1,000 to 1,200 club seats. The study projects more than 1 million attendees per year to the arena, and says a new facility could employ 970 people. The current arena employs 710.

The cost of renovating the existing arena would be nearly as much as building a new one and is not an option, according to the study.

Baltimore banker and developer Edwin F. Hale Sr. already has expressed interest in building a 12,000- to 15,000 -seat arena on a 28-acre site next to his Canton Crossing development. Hale's First Mariner Bank owns the naming rights to the existing arena, and he owns the Baltimore Blast soccer team, the facility's primary tenant.

Fowler has said he would like to see a new arena built within walking distance of the Inner Harbor, the Baltimore Convention Center, hotels and public transportation.

City officials say First Mariner Arena's current site would be an ideal location, but new construction would take the arena out of commission for up to three years. A new, bigger arena would fit on the current site of the facility after demolition of an adjacent parking garage and a surface lot.
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #5169
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd1588 View Post
Sound's like someone has been drinking "haterade" to me. This is very childish. Why are these kind of things really important to you guys? Lol, do you feel inferior or something???lol. I'd be interested in what people in European cities would have to say about places in the Northeast. Or Overdeveloped Asian cities, lol. I mean this is really ridiculous, why not just respect places for what they are. I have never known any city in the south to claim that it has the same urban development as places in the north, but many people from these places insist on pointing it out.... And what;s Ironic is that a great majority of the people in the cookie-cutter suburbs in the sunbelt cities are native's or the northeast.
Hahaha, well buddy, welcome to the Northeast. That's pretty much what we do here and that's probably why you live in the nice, comfy south.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM   #5170
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Fantastic news on the arena. I still want to see something in the 20,000-23,000, but I'm glad to see them pressing forward and trying to get this thing jump-started.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM   #5171
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Fantastic news on the arena. I still want to see something in the 20,000-23,000, but I'm glad to see them pressing forward and trying to get this thing jump-started.
I agree! Where to put it? I don't like the idea of using the present location.
Not sold on Canton either. Westport maybe?
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5172
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Any new arena should be at least 19,000 seats, IMHO. Where ever it's located.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #5173
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
damn, 23,000, sdeclue???? lol. that's kinda' pushin' it a bit.

personally, i'd be happy with just 18,000-18,500. but like hpal said, there's the issue of where do we put it.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:42 AM   #5174
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
damn, 23,000, sdeclue???? lol. that's kinda' pushin' it a bit.

personally, i'd be happy with just 18,000-18,500. but like hpal said, there's the issue of where do we put it.
Build a new arena in a new location! Tear down the old arena and build tall
in its place.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM   #5175
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
Build a new arena in a new location! Tear down the old arena and build tall
in its place.
Amen!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM   #5176
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
City development arm seeking proposals for new arena construction
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:48 PM EDT Wednesday, August 1, 2007by Ryan SharrowStaff....

Fowler has said he would like to see a new arena built within walking distance of the Inner Harbor, the Baltimore Convention Center, hotels and public transportation.

City officials say First Mariner Arena's current site would be an ideal location, but new construction would take the arena out of commission for up to three years. A new, bigger arena would fit on the current site of the facility after demolition of an adjacent parking garage and a surface lot.
The location constraints would seem to make somewhere around Camden Yards appear to be a front runner but if you take out all constraints on the solution, the obvious choice is the current arena's location. Maybe the more challenging question would be how to make that happen, what to do with the Blast and the circus for 3 years. A local college facility?

If that doesn't work out, I really hope that part of the deal is leveling the current site when the new one opens. It wouldn't be enough to solicit proposals after the thing is an abandoned hulk; demo has to happen the day after the new arena opens otherwise we will spend years looking at that monster, which is ugly when it's in use, downright horrifying when dead....
scando no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:44 AM   #5177
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

I still like the idea of letting Ed Hale build a smaller arena in Canton. While the old arena is demolished, and a newer larger arena is constructed on that site. Instantly Baltimore becomes a 2 arena town, not unlike Omaha or Charlotte
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #5178
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I still like the idea of letting Ed Hale build a smaller arena in Canton. While the old arena is demolished, and a newer larger arena is constructed on that site. Instantly Baltimore becomes a 2 arena town, not unlike Omaha or Charlotte
If he wants to build his own arean on his property I don't think there much to stop him, but what would we do with #2? With no NBA team in the offing any time soon, I don't think the circus and a few rock concerts would support another arena.
scando no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:00 AM   #5179
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

please. a moment of silence for the tragedy in minnesota.........
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM   #5180
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
The location constraints would seem to make somewhere around Camden Yards appear to be a front runner but if you take out all constraints on the solution, the obvious choice is the current arena's location. Maybe the more challenging question would be how to make that happen, what to do with the Blast and the circus for 3 years. A local college facility?

If that doesn't work out, I really hope that part of the deal is leveling the current site when the new one opens. It wouldn't be enough to solicit proposals after the thing is an abandoned hulk; demo has to happen the day after the new arena opens otherwise we will spend years looking at that monster, which is ugly when it's in use, downright horrifying when dead....
If they do not build the new arena to the standard required for an NBA or NFL franchise, then the project is not worth the investment. We have to be put in a better situation for this major investment. How can city leaders be so short-sighted? For whatever it costs to add a mere 2,000 more seats the city is going to be relagated to a second rate status with minor league sports.

The best location is in the Camden Yard Complex. Plenty of sapce between the two exisiting stadiums. I'd hate to see this opportunity squandered. There are other events that would be attracted to the new facility as well like the NCAA Final Four and major conventions.
Gsol no está en línea  

Closed Thread