daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5181
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
[snip]The best location is in the Camden Yard Complex. Plenty of space between the two exisiting stadiums.[snip]
Eh. Too small and too close to M&T and the highway.
Across the street, the SW corner of Russell and Hamburg (where Staples is located) has been pegged as a possible spot.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM   #5182

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
If they do not build the new arena to the standard required for an NBA or NFL franchise, then the project is not worth the investment. We have to be put in a better situation for this major investment. How can city leaders be so short-sighted? For whatever it costs to add a mere 2,000 more seats the city is going to be relagated to a second rate status with minor league sports.

The best location is in the Camden Yard Complex. Plenty of sapce between the two exisiting stadiums. I'd hate to see this opportunity squandered. There are other events that would be attracted to the new facility as well like the NCAA Final Four and major conventions.
I couldn't agree more. Adding 20% more seats equates to 200% more uses for the arena.

Locating this by the the stadiums would be excellent. This would lower the costs of providing parking/infrastructure (pre-existing Camden and M&T lots as well as the future Westport development).

I just love the idea of an arena, football stadium, baseball park and state of the art sports complex (Wesport) in that area of the city. This would provide an increase to quality of life unique to Baltimore only.
21230 no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5183
thrill
thrill

Likes (Received): 2

Hooray!!! Glad to hear that Charm City is finally trying to move forward with a new Arena!
I do think that the current site would be best, but if not, how about the Gateway South area, along with the proposed civilian sports complex? Seems to make sense.
I was part of the last arena renovation 20 years ago (man, I'm getting old!) when it was my job to remove all of the seats and then proceed to scrape all of the gum and boogers off of the bottoms before they were sent off to be repainted. I saw things stuck to the bottoms of those seats that no mortal eyes should ever see!
thrill no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM   #5184
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

I thought of one major advantage to go for the top-tier arena rather than the half-ass one. Its economic incentive. Just think of how much more you can charge for a professional game rather than minor league. Its more than twice the price. The price for skyboxes can be exorbitant. What would a skybox go for in the minors? Who would even want one?

You can never count this city out in obtaining an NBA or NHL franchise. These teams are constantly in flux. Since the strike the NHL is in trouble, it needs to find viable stable markets. Even the Stanley Cup games are relegated to cable.

For the additional investment in a full sized facility, it seems to me that the return would be worthwhile. It certainly would bring in more attendance. Baltimore is a major league town. I can't imagine the minors drawing in big numbers. I say shoot for the moon and stars on this one.

Last edited by Gsol; August 2nd, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #5185
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
If he wants to build his own arean on his property I don't think there much to stop him, but what would we do with #2? With no NBA team in the offing any time soon, I don't think the circus and a few rock concerts would support another arena.

There are plenty of things that would support it...

The idea is a 8-12K seat place that is truely multipurpose, hs games [they are always complaining about not have a place for big games] graduations, smaller trade shows, an indoor track, recreational sports, smaller concerts in the winter, dog shows, a place for disaster relief efforts/triage, wrestling, boxing, the list goes on and on...plus it would have easy access being by 95.

Like modstpropsl said, there a many many cities with dual arenas of similar (and smaller) size that support 2 arenas.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #5186
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Build an island in the middle of the harbor and stick it on there.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #5187
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

^Yeah only accessible by water taxi.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #5188
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill View Post
it was my job to remove all of the seats and then proceed to scrape all of the gum and boogers off of the bottoms before they were sent off to be repainted.
Mm-mmm. Booger gum. Dibs!

Best location: Stockholm Street, just southwest of the Hamburg Street Light Rail stop and on the northeast edge of Ray Lewis's Gateway South ... it'll be the Kennedy Center of sports arenas!

"Wetlands? What wetlands? This 'ere's sludge, gum, and boogers."
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5189
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Two arenas wouldn't work. The best thing to do is find a great site and put money into it and a build a 20,000 seat arena or more.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5190
jamie_hunt

Agreed. 20K is about average across the NBA. More info here. Lots of interesting data and pics to stir thinking about Baltimore's new arena. (Note: use the tiny nav in the upper left corner. It divvies up arenas by conference.)

Here's Indianapolis, modeling the "heart of downtown" model ...

... while Miami shows the "water's edge" version

Last edited by jamie_hunt; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5191
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Nice. I like the Indy arena.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5192
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

That pic of DC is so dreary and depressing!
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #5193
jamie_hunt

Every city has its off days. Although, my second read of that picture was, DC has great density in that part of town.

For the purposes of this thread, first read is to imagine the K-center as an arena and the Potomac as the Middle Branch of the Patapsco south of Ravens Stadium.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM   #5194
waj0527

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
I thought of one major advantage to go for the top-tier arena rather than the half-ass one. Its economic incentive. Just think of how much more you can charge for a professional game rather than minor league. Its more than twice the price. The price for skyboxes can be exorbitant. What would a skybox go for in the minors? Who would even want one?

You can never count this city out in obtaining an NBA or NHL franchise. These teams are constantly in flux. Since the strike the NHL is in trouble, it needs to find viable stable markets. Even the Stanley Cup games are relegated to cable.

For the additional investment in a full sized facility, it seems to me that the return would be worthwhile. It certainly would bring in more attendance. Baltimore is a major league town. I can't imagine the minors drawing in big numbers. I say shoot for the moon and stars on this one.
I agree. I'm surprised at the city on this. Baltimore usually pretty good at looking at things like stadia as investments rather than an expense (I think this point was noted most recently in a study conducted by officals visiting from Portland or maybe it was Memphis).
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #5195
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

the location of the arena in miami is very similar to port covington's layout......a nice, secluded peninsula.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; August 3rd, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM   #5196
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Baltimore usually pretty good at looking at things like stadia as investments rather than an expense
Very true. We had all the support we needed for the convention center hotel as an investment. If Baltimore is willing to go that far, an adequate arena should be a no-brainer.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM   #5197
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

New Canton Apartments

Here is an interesting tidbit from the Canton Community Asoc. website blog.................

Details of S. Conkling Apartment Development
Last weekend, representatives of the Hanover Company hand-delivered information to residents in the neighborhood of 1200 S. Conkling, between Elliott and Toone Sts. The representatives described the planned development and provided contact information for the construction team that will be constructing apartments on the site of the abandoned warehouse over the next two years.

The development will feature 180 brick-faced luxury apartments with 270 gated underground parking spaces. The apartment structures will be four stories tall on Elliott St. and five stories on Toone St.

As development proceeds, there will be scheduled street closures and parking space reductions:

* The following parking lanes will be closed until July 2009:
o the west side of the 1200 block of S. Conkling between Elliott and Toone Sts.
o the south side of the 3500 block of Elliott St.
o the east side of Baylis St. between Elliott and Toone Sts.

* Toone St. between Baylis and Conkling Sts. will be closed until July 2009

Project Manager Robert Hooten explained that they also expect to do some work on the utility infrastructure on Baylis and Elliott Sts. before the end of October. The Canton Connection Online will list the dates when the work has been scheduled with the City.

Mechanical demolition (i.e., without explosives) of the abandoned warehouse on the lot began earlier this week, and is expected to take three months. After that, work on the underground parking structure will begin. This phase is expected to last through the first four months of 2008. When that is complete, the construction team will erect wood framing for the structures, a process that is expected to be completed by the summer of 2008. The completion of the entire construction project is slated for July 2009.

"We will work to provide CCA monthly updates on our construction progress," says Hooten, who encourages residents to contact him and his team with questions. Mr. Hooten, a Canton resident, can be reached at [email protected] or (619) 843-7437.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM   #5198
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Locust Point update

Locust Point development plan OK'd by city design panel
Baltimore Business Journal - 12:39 PM EDT Thursday, August 2, 2007
by Will Skowronski
Staff

A city review panel approved the architecture designs of a mixed-use development in Locust Point dubbed McHenry Row. The nine-acre site is the former home of the Chesapeake Paperboard Co.

The Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel (UDARP) gave final approval to the project Thursday on the condition that minor adjustments were made to the designs. Plans for the site's grocery store and signs still have to be reviewed by the panel.

The development -- slated to bring 250 apartments, a grocery store, an office building and two parking garages to the area just off Key Highway -- is expected to cost between $70 and $75 million.

Developer Mark Sapperstein said the panel's approval was an important step because work can now be focused on securing permits and on construction, which is scheduled to begin in September.

The architecture plans for the site first went before the review panel a month ago. But the panelists only gave preliminary approval two weeks ago and wanted to see more detailed plans and additional design changes before giving final approval. Panelists said the design team responded well to their comments by masking the parking garage that sits above Key Highway with tall trees and adding a more noticeable entrance to the office building.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM   #5199
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Nice update.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #5200
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
Locust Point development plan OK'd by city design panel
Baltimore Business Journal - 12:39 PM EDT Thursday, August 2, 2007
by Will Skowronski
Staff

A city review panel approved the architecture designs of a mixed-use development in Locust Point dubbed McHenry Row. The nine-acre site is the former home of the Chesapeake Paperboard Co.

The Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel (UDARP) gave final approval to the project Thursday on the condition that minor adjustments were made to the designs. Plans for the site's grocery store and signs still have to be reviewed by the panel.

The development -- slated to bring 250 apartments, a grocery store, an office building and two parking garages to the area just off Key Highway -- is expected to cost between $70 and $75 million.

Developer Mark Sapperstein said the panel's approval was an important step because work can now be focused on securing permits and on construction, which is scheduled to begin in September.

The architecture plans for the site first went before the review panel a month ago. But the panelists only gave preliminary approval two weeks ago and wanted to see more detailed plans and additional design changes before giving final approval. Panelists said the design team responded well to their comments by masking the parking garage that sits above Key Highway with tall trees and adding a more noticeable entrance to the office building.
Is this area is near the cruise ship terminal?
hpal3 no está en línea  

Closed Thread