daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:52 AM   #5201
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

This web site tends to be on the mark! Sorry Jack

More Balto Numbers: Looks Like Jack's Days Could Be Numbered - 7/29 - A Baltimore radio guru has shed some light on the mysterious spring Arbitron radio ratings released Friday. In the all-important age 25-to-54 numbers, he reports surges for adult contemporary WLIF and classic rock WZBA. But adult hits Jack WQSR is in serious trouble, we're told, in almost all dayparts. In mornings, Rouse is way up on WLIF and so is JoJo on Mix 106.5. And Elliot is increasing his Baltimore listeners who tune in via DC's DC101. But Mickey is slumping on 98 Rock, with Kirk and Mark staying level on WHFS. In middays, Ed Norris on WHFS is up big. In afternoons, country WPOC and 98 Rock are way up, with WHFS's Don and Mike jumping from 12th to 10th. In evenings, WHFS does very well with the Orioles, with huge gains among male demos. On the sports side, WJFK-AM's Anita Marks is a loser with a big drop in her numbers, while sports talker WNST gets even lower ratings than she does, we hear.....
hpal3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM   #5202
CU_rak

Likes (Received): 3

Cramer knows what's up!

Hey, check out this interview with Jim Cramer (former hedge fund manager and Wall St. guru) about the US real estate slump! According to Cramer, Baltimore is one of two places in the country where real estate is still appreciating! I nearly shat myself when I heard this!!
Go to the "Cramer on Demand" video that says "Your house is down 20%? Walk away"
http://videoplayer.thestreet.com/

FYI... He also had great things to say about Under Armour- and I quote- "Under Armour is the next Nike."
CU_rak no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM   #5203
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_rak View Post
Hey, check out this interview with Jim Cramer (former hedge fund manager and Wall St. guru) about the US real estate slump! According to Cramer, Baltimore is one of two places in the country where real estate is still appreciating! I nearly shat myself when I heard this!!
Go to the "Cramer on Demand" video that says "Your house is down 20%? Walk away"

FYI... He also had great things to say about Under Armour- and I quote- "Under Armour is the next Nike."
One time on "Mad Money" Jim Cramer greeted a caller from Maryland by saying "AHH, Maryland, the state I have to drive through to get to DC!"

Since then I have not been to fond of Jim Cramer; although he's obviously a brilliant investor. I couldn't believe he insulted Maryland because he receives a wildly disproportionate number of callers from Maryland relative to our population.
modestproposal no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #5204
marc1969
MD Parrothead

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_rak View Post

Any idea what "square mile" he is talking about? the harbor? Harbor east?

He put down Under Armour earlier this year on his show. He said it would fail as it expanded it's business into shoes, etc because Nike would eat it up. I was thinking about investing in them but decided not to after his comments. Now he say's it's the next Nike.
marc1969 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM   #5205
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
Is this area is near the cruise ship terminal?
Sort of. Glen at the Baltimore Grows blog posted a .pdf of the Chesapeake Paperboard development site recently. It hugs the right side of Key Highway at the end of Woodall Street, on the other side of I-95 from the cruise ship terminal.

Click on this link to Mapquest.com, then click on the "aerial view" tab in the upper right corner ... the development site is just below the star; the cruise ship terminal is where the big sheds are in the lower right corner.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5206
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
More Balto Numbers: Looks Like Jack's Days Could Be Numbered - 7/29 - A Baltimore radio guru has shed some light on the mysterious spring Arbitron radio ratings released Friday. In the all-important age 25-to-54 numbers, he reports surges for adult contemporary WLIF and classic rock WZBA. But adult hits Jack WQSR is in serious trouble, we're told, in almost all dayparts. In mornings, Rouse is way up on WLIF and so is JoJo on Mix 106.5. And Elliot is increasing his Baltimore listeners who tune in via DC's DC101. But Mickey is slumping on 98 Rock, with Kirk and Mark staying level on WHFS. In middays, Ed Norris on WHFS is up big. In afternoons, country WPOC and 98 Rock are way up, with WHFS's Don and Mike jumping from 12th to 10th. In evenings, WHFS does very well with the Orioles, with huge gains among male demos. On the sports side, WJFK-AM's Anita Marks is a loser with a big drop in her numbers, while sports talker WNST gets even lower ratings than she does, we hear.....
The Jack radio format bombed in NYC. The radio station, WCBS-FM, went back to its oldies format with live DJs. They admitted their mistake. Even Mayor Bloomberg complimented CBS for bringing back DJs playing music of the 60s through 80s. Unfortunately some of the former DJs have other gigs. Two of them,Cousin Brucie and Norm N Knight, are on Sirius radio. When CBS went to Jack, I told them to hit-the-road (Jack) and beacme a Sirius subscriber.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #5207
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
The Jack radio format bombed in NYC. The radio station, WCBS-FM, went back to its oldies format with live DJs. They admitted their mistake. Even Mayor Bloomberg complimented CBS for bringing back DJs playing music of the 60s through 80s. Unfortunately some of the former DJs have other gigs. Two of them,Cousin Brucie and Norm N Knight, are on Sirius radio. When CBS went to Jack, I told them to hit-the-road (Jack) and beacme a Sirius subscriber.
Octane 20's my choice on sirius.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #5208
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

mine as well.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; August 3rd, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #5209
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

PORT COVINGTON RUMORS TRUE

Sams and Wall mart are closing next year. I can't get the full article but that was the BBJ headline.
Hood no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #5210
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
Sams and Wall mart are closing next year. I can't get the full article but that was the BBJ headline.
You might be right, Jeff ... but the header sez just Sam's, not Wal*Mart:

Sam's Club to close Port Covington spot
Baltimore Business Journal - August 3, 2007
by Daniel J. Sernovitz
Staff

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will close its Sam's Club in the controversial Port Covington shopping center in South Baltimore once it opens another wholesale store in Glen Burnie early next year, a Wal-Mart spokesman said.

Steven Restivo said in an e-mail that the Sam's Club is relocating to Glen Burnie, "as part of an effort to better serve the Greater Baltimore metro area. The existing location will remain open throughout the transition, and we expect this to be complete in early 2008."

[snip]

The "controversial" PC shopping center?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #5211
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

I think Charles Street is going to resemble a war zone next year. With the construction of this garage, the hotel at the other end of the block, the Mechanic, B&O, Fidelity, and Jefferson Buildings, you'll hardly be able to walk or drive up it! "SIDEWALK CLOSED - USE OTHER SIDE" You'll have to walk a mile just to go 5 blocks.

I wonder if the law firm that just signed a new lease at the M&T Bank Builing, realized that they are going to be surrounded by construction? There is nothing like the sound of pile drivers when meeting with clients.

City board backs downtown garage
Baltimore Business Journal - 11:35 AM EDT Friday, August 3

After losing the marquee tenant they planned to build a 500-car parking garage for, the owners of 100 Light St. are moving ahead with those construction plans at Lombard, Light and Charles Streets. Baltimore City's Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel gave the project their blessing Thursday afternoon following a presentation by representatives for building owner Marbax Associates Ltd.

J. Stephen Muller, managing principal with Washington, D.C.-based Union Realty Partners Inc., said Marbax boosted the project's priority level following signature tenant Legg Mason Inc.'s February announcement it would be relocating to a new office tower being developed at Harbor East. "The ownership, I think, realized one way or another this garage needed to get built," Muller told the panelists, which include Baltimore Development Corp. President M.J. "Jay" Brodie.

On Thursday, Muller and a team of planners for Design Collective presented updated plans of the proposed garage. The structure would wrap around the building where Burke's Restaurant & Cafe is and will include ground-floor retail spaces. The project still needs the approval of other city groups including the planning commission.

The BDC, the city's economic development arm, has endorsed a $33 million financial incentives package being considered by Baltimore City Council that will aid in the construction of the new Harbor East office building. Legg (NYSE: LM) has signed a long-term lease for about 325,000 square feet in the 500,000-plus-square-foot building at Harbor East and is scheduled to move in 2009. The building is being developed jointly by H&S Properties Development Corp. and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; August 3rd, 2007 at 07:39 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #5212
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Burke's

What does everyone think about Burke's restaurant/building??

I don't really mind the building, I just feel more tax dollars could be squeezed out of that corner...its pretty high profile. Its a decent place for the comedy factory I suppose, but that could easily be moved somewhere else...

Will this parking garage be built so they may one day put a building on top, a la Water Street.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #5213
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

[QUOTE=30 Floors Up;14607147][B]I think Charles Street is going to resemble a war zone next year.

I just hope they get Calvert Street finished up before that mess starts.

What's going on with that anyway? Demo, any news? I know you mentioned they found some unexpected basements, but they just don't seem to be making much headway....
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #5214
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
What does everyone think about Burke's restaurant/building??

I don't really mind the building, I just feel more tax dollars could be squeezed out of that corner...its pretty high profile. Its a decent place for the comedy factory I suppose, but that could easily be moved somewhere else...

Will this parking garage be built so they may one day put a building on top, a la Water Street.
It's not a bad building. Haven't been to the restaurant in years, but my father tells me it's still pretty good and reasonably priced. I like a downtown with a mix of older-smaller and newer-taller. Don't think this garage will be built like Water Street. The M&T building's owners would likely object vociferously another tall building so close to theirs. The new garage will only be as high as the existing garage in that building.

And what's with the "unexpected basements" bit on Calvert ... I was a tenant at Downtown Partnership eight years ago when streetscaping was delayed by "unexpected basements" on Water Street. You'd think someone would've figured out they need to look for basements in downtown buildings by now.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM   #5215
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Whats the rumor about Port Covington pertain to? Donald Trump or something? What was the rumor?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #5216
jamie_hunt

"Appears?" Do they just make this stuff up?

From this week's Baltimore Business Journal

Restaurant revival
Move toward upscale eateries hitting Fells Point
Baltimore Business Journal - August 3, 2007
by Julekha Dash
Staff

[snip]It's getting busier and busier down here," Forrest said of activity in Fells Point. And business owners see more growth coming. Developers Dave Holmes and Daniel Winner are pouring $50 million into a project that includes renovations to the Broadway Market, a new parking garage and rehabbing several properties on the 600 block of Broadway. And J. Joseph Clarke's once-stalled redevelopment of Recreation Pier appears to be picking up steam, with plans for an Aloft hotel slated to open next year.[snip]

Huh. And yet the Struever Bros.' bid board still shows this project as "on hold."
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5217
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
And J. Joseph Clarke's once-stalled redevelopment of Recreation Pier appears to be picking up steam, with plans for an Aloft hotel slated to open next year.
lol.....to OPEN next year?
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #5218
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Before Clark's Aloft Hotel begins construction don't they have the replace the pilings under the pier? There is no way that can be conplete within a year, irregarless of Clark's involvement with the project. Even if only renovation work needed to be done on the structure, that couldn't be done within a year.

I would be surprised if anything happened on that site before year's end.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5219
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Although.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Before Clark's Aloft Hotel begins construction don't they have the replace the pilings under the pier? There is no way that can be conplete within a year, irregarless of Clark's involvement with the project. Even if only renovation work needed to be done on the structure, that couldn't be done within a year.

I would be surprised if anything happened on that site before year's end.
I did see activity at the rec pier yesterday. They were removing items from the top story windows. Looked like they were taking out lockers.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #5220
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

and what was that other property?........

Oh Yeah! ONE LIGHT STREET!!!

When will THAT property ever be developed?!

Closed Thread