daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 7th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #5261
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Update on 10 IH:

Steve, we’re still working with a few major office tenants in the Balt area. Once we have signed one or two of them, we will then complete the rest of the building design with retail, hotel and residential. Please feel free to check back in a couple of months.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #5262
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 223

Something really major would have to happen to that Wal-Mart to get this off the ground. As it is, the place is a favorite for those wanting a five fingered discount, and the bus stop is a mini landfill. I personally wouldn't want to live next to that! And to soothe one of my pet-peeves, its located in South Baltimore, not Southwest!
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #5263
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Update on 10 IH:

Steve, we’re still working with a few major office tenants in the Balt area. Once we have signed one or two of them, we will then complete the rest of the building design with retail, hotel and residential. Please feel free to check back in a couple of months.

Bill
Sounds like a bit of the same that we've been hearing for months now. I'm growing a bit pessimistic.
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #5264
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

^I believe it will be worth the wait. Meanwhile, we still have the Four Seasons and Legg Mason towers to look forward to.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #5265
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestproposal View Post
I just saw an hour long program on Baltimore on Discovery HD Theater. It was one in a series of programs on the American City. They had some insane aerials of Baltimore and really sang the city's praises. They ran the original "BELIEVE" commercial too. O'Malley, Levinson, Schaeffer, Ripkin and a few others were interviewed (including some woman who is supposedly the mother of jazz in Baltimore). I wish I could find the video online because the shots of the city were so ridiculously cool.
Darn...I've been on vacation for a couple weeks..I wanted to see that. Hopefully it will be repeated.
micrip no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #5266
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Let's hope

this comes true. Joe Clarke made the same statements about 1 Light St. for years.

Quote:
Update on 10 IH:

Bill
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #5267
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
Good stuff!
I doubt I'll see this in my lifetime
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #5268
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Station North the new Soho???
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #5269
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoChris View Post
Something really major would have to happen to that Wal-Mart to get this off the ground. As it is, the place is a favorite for those wanting a five fingered discount, and the bus stop is a mini landfill. I personally wouldn't want to live next to that! And to soothe one of my pet-peeves, its located in South Baltimore, not Southwest!
Sounds like they want Wal-Mart as part of the project, though it wouldn't be surprising to see it relocate to a different part of the site. The bus stop wouldn't be so trashy if there were a billion dollar development there; they'd probably have something like the Downtown Partnership's "Clean and Safe" team patrolling the premises. Finally, our local media are geographically challenged. It's a curse.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #5270
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post

Bring it on. The the renovated railroad building should be a shot in the arm for the area. I hope someone takes on the copycat building soon. That building is critical.

I've been wondering how the station north townhomes are doing. http://www.stationnorthtownhomes.com/about.html
The site indicates that only 13 of the 32 are left for sale. I have a feeling most were sold to investors though.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #5271
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
this comes true. Joe Clarke made the same statements about 1 Light St. for years.

But, Joe Clarke also has a reputation for not getting stuff built. Arc Wheeler has a far better track record.
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #5272
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

All that talk about Port Covington and the name "TRUMP" is no place to be found. Hmmm.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #5273
jamie_hunt

File that under "Only believe half of what you hear" ... in this instance, the half that said Sams was closing; not the half that said Trump was going to purchase the property.
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #5274
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

You mean like this?

FROM DAVID CORDISH:

Quote:
Here is some interesting news I received in a recent e-mail. I e-mailed the Cordish Company concerning the article in the Sun that reported their 701 East Baltimore Street tower project being reduced in scale.

David Cordish's responce:

Steve,

If you believe what you read in The Sun, Lord help you.

David Cordish

Sounds encouraging to me. Like the project has NOT been reduced in any way.
FROM THE CORDISH WEB SITE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
Let Cordish Develop Balloon Site

Sometimes less is definitely more.
The Baltimore Development Corp. received only one proposal for the redevelopment of the former Port Discovery Balloon site on East Baltimore Street. That might seem like a bad thing.

But the proposal came from the Cordish Co., which can take the credit for turning two of downtown's most forlorn structures into thriving retail, restaurant and entertainment centers. Allowing Cordish to develop the site near President Street should be an easy decision.

Cordish is proposing a mixed-use development that includes entertainment, retail, condominiums and apartments. He has assembled a team that features architect Michael Graves & Associates and general contractors Clark Construction Group LLC and Banks Contracting Co.

Power Plant Live doesn't have anywhere to expand. The Cordish plan gives the company a natural extension to the project and further pushes life and retail toward the rapidly developing East Baltimore. "To us, it's a great gateway site. We're excited," Cordish said

Cordish said he has already lined up a tenant for the project's ground floor. He won't divulge the name but said it is a well-known name that provides a good fit for the Port Discovery Children's Museum and Power Plant Live's night life. Cordish said he is focused on ensuring that the children's museum succeeds. "It certainly is a plus for the city to have a children's museum," he added.

It's also a plus to have a national developer who gets things done.
(AND THEY WONDER WHY I DRINK?)

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; August 7th, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #5275
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
(AND THEY WONDER WHY I DRINK?)
Nothin' wrong with having a drink while you wait ... and wait ... and wait.

Wonder why Cordish's Web site doesn't attribute the October 28, 2005, editorial hpal3 linked to to the Baltimore Business Journal? Small thing, but odd nonetheless.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #5276
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

It sounds like Cordish is slightly losing his credibility.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5277
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
It sounds like Cordish is slightly losing his credibility.
One of the Cordish boys is busy building a home on the last block of Montgomery St. in Federal Hill. He owned a large rowhome and the lot next to it which was used for parking. Guess that wasn't enough. About 18 months ago he purchased the two rowhomes next to his and has since blown through the walls. All that remains is the front facade. It will probably end up close to 8000sqft of livign space.

Not so sure it's that great of an investment. David Modell is having a tough time unloading his property around the corner on Battery.

http://homes.realtor.com/search/list...rcnt=15#Detail

Can you imagine buying a $1.7 million dollar home and having to park your $100K car on the street?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5278
jamie_hunt

Yowza. Sounds like the bigger fool theory applied to real estate.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #5279
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

Did Cordish ever get over his non taxable bonds that suddenly became taxable problem?
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #5280
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
One of the Cordish boys is busy building a home on the last block of Montgomery St. in Federal Hill. He owned a large rowhome and the lot next to it which was used for parking. Guess that wasn't enough. About 18 months ago he purchased the two rowhomes next to his and has since blown through the walls. All that remains is the front facade. It will probably end up close to 8000sqft of livign space.

Not so sure it's that great of an investment. David Modell is having a tough time unloading his property around the corner on Battery.

http://homes.realtor.com/search/list...rcnt=15#Detail

Can you imagine buying a $1.7 million dollar home and having to park your $100K car on the street?
I'm sure that in the long haul it will be a good investment. I have a relative who bought a conspicuous house with a great view for $175K. 10 years and some minor improvements later, he sold it for almost a million. It did have a garage in the back but only for one of the cars. Nevertheless, it sold. Right at this moment, getting a good price might be a challenge, but so far, even though sales are slow, prices are holding up pretty well. Hang on to it for a while, though and ask yourself if there will ever be a better view in a rowhouse...not likely...the hill will at least keep its value and probably increase.
scando no está en línea  

Closed Thread